2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Grinding/Crunchy sound when shifting from forth into fifth

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/14, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding/Crunchy sound when shifting from forth into fifth

I have a 2013 Mustang GT, manual 6 speed.
When I got the car (Dec 2013) I remember maybe about once a week I would hear some grinding sound when shifting from 4th into 5th. I really didn't know what the sound was but i thought maybe something had to be broken in with the new car. I also didnt really know too much about manual cars and I really just didnt think about it much. Now it seems to be happening almost every day.
This sound only happens when 1) the car is on 2)the car is moving 3) the car is completely cold. I took it to the dealer and they told me they couldn't replicate it... and it sounds like they didnt even look at anything.
I know its not a problem with the shifter itself as I had a stock shifter, and then upgraded to the ford racing shifter and bracket.
When i hear this grinding sound the shift also feels somewhat gritty. Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea what could be wrong?

Let me know if you want additional details. Thats all that comes to mind right now.

On a side note my rear diff has been leaking since the winter and im still waiting for my dealership to get the part and fix my leaking rear diff, but I dont think that has anything to do with the problem.
Old 7/17/14, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have had my 2011 about a month now .I sometimes get a crunch going into 4th. I chalked mine up to the stock shiftier bracket which I am about to replace. I will have to see if that cleans it up. Since you already did all that though sounds like it could be the syncros or something like that.
Old 7/17/14, 09:21 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by grabbermustang
I have a 2013 Mustang GT, manual 6 speed.
When I got the car (Dec 2013) I remember maybe about once a week I would hear some grinding sound when shifting from 4th into 5th. I really didn't know what the sound was but i thought maybe something had to be broken in with the new car. I also didn't really know too much about manual cars and I really just didn't think about it much. Now it seems to be happening almost every day.
This sound only happens when 1) the car is on 2)the car is moving 3) the car is completely cold. I took it to the dealer and they told me they couldn't replicate it... and it sounds like they didnt even look at anything.
I know its not a problem with the shifter itself as I had a stock shifter, and then upgraded to the ford racing shifter and bracket.
When i hear this grinding sound the shift also feels somewhat gritty. Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea what could be wrong?

Let me know if you want additional details. That's all that comes to mind right now.

On a side note my rear diff has been leaking since the winter and I'm still waiting for my dealership to get the part and fix my leaking rear diff, but I don't think that has anything to do with the problem.
Hello grabbermustang,

You should suggest going on a ride with the tech or the service advisor. This way they can experience what you’re seeking to address with them. In the meantime, I can escalate this for you again if you’d like. PM me with the dealer, mileage, and best daytime number for you.

Deysha
Old 7/17/14, 09:51 AM

At this point I dont think it needs to be escalated.
When I dropped off my car at the dealership before I was told that their transmission tech was not able to reproduce the issue. Given that I can only get it to happen once or twice a day, I believe him. Right now Im just trying to capture it on my cellphone to prove it's actually happening.
Old 7/17/14, 10:33 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by grabbermustang
At this point I dont think it needs to be escalated.
When I dropped off my car at the dealership before I was told that their transmission tech was not able to reproduce the issue. Given that I can only get it to happen once or twice a day, I believe him. Right now Im just trying to capture it on my cellphone to prove it's actually happening.
You can also take the tech/service advisor on a test drive when you have a chance, grabbermustang. Keep me posted.

Deysha
Old 7/18/14, 12:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Barton shifter, which is the same one as the Ford Racing unit, and I get this from time to time. Just going into 5th though. I'm taking it out this weekend and putting the stock shifter back in to see if it still happens.
Old 7/18/14, 07:58 AM

I dont think it has anything to do with the shifter. Like I said I had the same problem with the stock shifter. I really think its some kind of transmission problem. If you look at the few parts the shifter is made of there isnt much to make a grinding sound. Also it wouldnt make sense that the car needs to be moving for the problem to happen. If the shifter were the problem I should be able to replicate it without having the car on.