Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Goodyear or Perelli?

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/14, 09:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3point7
Hell of a tire. Gotta give Ford props for putting that good a tire on the car.
LOL. I've had 2 GT500s, with the the Goodyear Eagle F1s and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G2s. Any temperature under 40 degrees with the latter and the car has zero traction. The former isn't much better. I'd hold off on the "props." Jump over to the GT500 forums to see the reviews of the F1s... I can save you the trouble, they're not positive...

Fortunately Ford took notice are are going with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for the new GT350. Now, props are due...
Old 12/22/14, 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
LOL. I've had 2 GT500s, with the the Goodyear Eagle F1s and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G2s. Any temperature under 40 degrees with the latter and the car has zero traction. The former isn't much better. I'd hold off on the "props." Jump over to the GT500 forums to see the reviews of the F1s... I can save you the trouble, they're not positive...

Fortunately Ford took notice are are going with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for the new GT350. Now, props are due...

Thanks steel. I knew the F1's were better suited to warm weather but I didn't know it was that bad.
Old 12/22/14, 10:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
LOL. I've had 2 GT500s, with the the Goodyear Eagle F1s and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G2s. Any temperature under 40 degrees with the latter and the car has zero traction. The former isn't much better. I'd hold off on the "props." Jump over to the GT500 forums to see the reviews of the F1s... I can save you the trouble, they're not positive... Fortunately Ford took notice are are going with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for the new GT350. Now, props are due...
This lol. I was like props? Not hardly.
Old 12/22/14, 11:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
My car has the factory GY F1 Supercars and when the temp is below 50 degrees they do lose a lot of grip. In hot weather they are excellent.

Last edited by TheReaper; 12/22/14 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12/23/14, 05:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
No summer tire is sticky below 50F though. Even below 100F grip is noticeably less than when the tire gets well over 100F.

The michelins are fantastic though and never recieve bad reviews so they should perform very well on he upcoming gt350. I wouldn't expect those to have any traction until they warm up either though!
Old 12/23/14, 07:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
IIRC, the Goodyears came on BBP Convertibles, likely because the lower grip and softer sidewall was favorable to the less rigid convertible body.

Do with that information as you see fit...but I'd go with the Pirellis.
Old 12/23/14, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Autos weren't available with Track Pack. Brembo Package only, and they were Eagle F1s, same tire as the 07-09 GT500 and I believe base GT500 from 10-12.
This.

I have the Goodyear Eagle F1's. Very nice tire, even in cold weather they do well once they are warm.
Old 12/23/14, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Best Ride?

Thanks for all the input. Let me ask this, which tire between the GoodYear F1 Supercars and the Perelli P Zero provide the best ride, smoothness and quietest? Michelin is not an option... Forget about wear, traction and all that, I don't track the car and only occasionally get aggressive with it for short bursts. On nice days I take it out for a cruise...smooth and quiet is what I am looking for. That being said...of the 2 choices which tire is recommened?
Old 12/23/14, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by elkk
Thanks for all the input. Let me ask this, which tire between the GoodYear F1 Supercars and the Perelli P Zero provide the best ride, smoothness and quietest? Michelin is not an option... Forget about wear, traction and all that, I don't track the car and only occasionally get aggressive with it for short bursts. On nice days I take it out for a cruise...smooth and quiet is what I am looking for. That being said...of the 2 choices which tire is recommened?
If it's a quiet ride you're looking for I can't recommend the P Zeros. The P Zero's on mine started developing a pretty annoying road noise around 9K miles. It sounds almost like wheel bearing roar.
Old 12/23/14, 04:15 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,201 Posts

BINGO!
Goodyear tires have been going down in quality over the years. I'll never buy another Goodyear tire.
I would look into some nice Cooper tires as well if interested. Worth the money.
Old 12/23/14, 05:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
BINGO! Goodyear tires have been going down in quality over the years. I'll never buy another Goodyear tire. I would look into some nice Cooper tires as well if interested. Worth the money.
Except the Coopers are made in China now...

Thouhh so are my Niches lol. I'm very unhappy about that. Will be getting american made wheels and tires for summer! Well, the Niche forged wheels are made here or in Italy I believe...cast are from China
Old 12/23/14, 07:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by elkk
Go with the Goodyears.
Old 12/23/14, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Except the Coopers are made in China now...

Thouhh so are my Niches lol. I'm very unhappy about that. Will be getting american made wheels and tires for summer! Well, the Niche forged wheels are made here or in Italy I believe...cast are from China

Nope I thought so too. I just bought a set MADE in the USA. I have zeons I got a year ago and they say Made in the USA. The dealer said they see very few Made in China. They might be using China for heavy demand. Look around.
Old 12/23/14, 07:32 PM
Cobra Member

If you have to have one of the two go with the GoodYears.
Old 12/23/14, 07:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Nope I thought so too. I just bought a set MADE in the USA. I have zeons I got a year ago and they say Made in the USA. The dealer said they see very few Made in China. They might be using China for heavy demand. Look around.
Hmm I see. Cooper states on their site that they're made in USA, but some members on here have made in China...
Old 12/23/14, 07:44 PM
Cobra Member

Laser I agree. I have seen a few that said Made in China. I even bet my tire dealer and when the new ones came in I lost. They were from the god old USA.
Old 12/23/14, 08:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Laser I agree. I have seen a few that said Made in China. I even bet my tire dealer and when the new ones came in I lost. They were from the god old USA.
Good to know. That might put them back on my list. For my winter tires I was pretty sold on the Pilot Sport A/S 3 or BFG Sport Comp IIs.
Old 12/24/14, 12:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I just bought performance all seasons. I did a bunch of review reading. I picked the top 4 rated tires (seemed to be a natural break there), and sorted by lowest rating first. Then I looked at the credible reviews and looked for things I couldn't tolerate or would really bug me. I had it down to Pirellis, Michelins, and Pirellis.

I ended up with Pirellis because because they were available as a wheel/tire package, and I've been pretty pleased with the summer-only's I have already - no noise so far and 19k with decent tread left. Goodyears were my first choice, Michilins 2nd, Pirellis 3rd. They were all within a couple points of each other based on hundreds of reviews on Tirerack.

I've been pleased with the Pirelli AS's so far. They have a smoother ride, and the price is decent too.

Last edited by KC3333; 12/24/14 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12/24/14, 07:06 AM

For a premium all season tire I narrowed my search to Goodyear EagleŽ F1 Asymmetric and Michelin AS3 as they were 1A and 1B on my criteria using Tire Rack data (wet traction, braking then dry traction, braking). 3 months ago I bought a set of Goodyear EagleŽ F1 Asymmetric for 2 different cars in the household and would recommend. I also have MPSS on mine and would recommend those as well if all season is not needed.
Old 12/24/14, 10:49 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This whole thread is a bit confusing - as posts are mixing summer only tires and all seasons.

Issue #1 - All Season or Summer tire? Is the OP looking to drive the car year round and in temps <45F? Then rule out Pzero Summer and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar. I've used the Pzero Summer and the Michelin AS/3 and when it gets frosty out it's scary how slippery those tires get.

My experience - Pirelli Pzero All Season were poor performers. They did not have the greatest traction and wore out around 18k miles.. and were noisy. The Perelli Pzero summer tires have actually been pretty good (totally different story from the All seasons). But I only got 7k on those and can't attest to their end of life performance yet.

I had the Michelin PSS and have hands down been the best tire I've tried - but word of warning, they are super sticky and I installed them in March - so a few days of scary cold driving and these sticky tires pick up all that sand/gravel scattered on the road during the winter (Next time I'll wait until May). The Michelin AS/3 all season I'm sporting now are working quite well. Stories of them performing almost like a summer tire are greatly exaggerated, but they have been great in the cold/wet so far.

Quick Reply: Goodyear or Perelli?