2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/13 | 06:42 PM
V6 Member

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Been a lurker for a bit. I've gotten a lot of good info from the forums. Thanks!

The Good:
Test drove a 6 cylinder Mustang and Camaro today. First up was the Camaro. Really wasn't feeling it from the time I got behind the wheel. Felt like I was sitting in a hole when I got into the car. Visibility was poor. The car was somewhat fun to drive, but it felt heavy and I didn't get a sports car feel out of it. The dealer didn't have a manual on the lot, so I had to test out an automatic. It wasn't enormously fun to drive.

Next up was a base Mustang with a manual. I had a much better feel just sitting in the car. Visibility was much better also. Soon as I took off in the car, I wound up loving it. So much fun driving that car. The car felt nimble and faster. The MT82 was easy to shift and smooth and the clutch was pretty light to push (first time driving a manual in 11 years). I drove it on a 26 degree day in snow flurries. Didn't experience anything strange with the transmission. I've been very nervous about buying the manual. I feel much better now after driving it.

The Bad:
The dealer didn't have any 3.7 manuals on the lot and none in the area. I didn't find any acceptable to purchase. I've been waiting for over a year to purchase my car, so that was very disappointing. I'm looking for a V6 premium with pony package, comfort package, security package, glass roof, coupe accessory package and maybe 3.31 gears in Deep Impact Blue. The GT is out since this would be a daily driver.

The Ugly,
Developed a bad front end vibration in my '01 Regal this week. The GM dealer looked my car over during the trade in appraisal and basically said my front suspension garbage. They didn't want me to drive the car home for safety concerns. They were going to give me a loaner car for a few days, but I declined. The problem now is that I really want a Mustang and most likely I will need to order it. Now I am screwed since I don't want to spend a dime on my Regal and it looks to be too expensive for a rental. My wife is a stay at home mom, but still needs a car for the kids. Tough decisions ahead. I guess I'll swing by Mr. Tire to see what the damage is.
-Steve

Last edited by RogueWing16; 2/2/13 at 06:49 PM.
Old 2/2/13 | 06:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RogueWing16
Been a lurker for a bit. I've gotten a lot of good info from the forums. Thanks!

The Good:
Test drove a 6 cylinder Mustang and Camaro today. First up was the Camaro. Really wasn't feeling it from the time I got behind the wheel. Felt like I was sitting in a hole when I got into the car. Visibility was poor. The car was somewhat fun to drive, but it felt heavy and I didn't get a sports car feel out of it. The dealer didn't have a manual on the lot, so I had to test out an automatic. It wasn't enormously fun to drive.

Next up was a base Mustang with a manual. I had a much better feel just sitting in the car. Visibility was much better also. Soon as I took off in the car, I wound up loving it. So much fun driving that car. The car felt nimble and faster. The MT82 was easy to shift and smooth and the clutch was pretty light to push (first time driving a manual in 11 years). I drove it on a 26 degree day in snow flurries. Didn't experience anything strange with the transmission. I've been very nervous about buying the manual. I feel much better now after driving it.

The Bad:
The dealer didn't have any 3.7 manuals on the lot and none in the area. I didn't find any acceptable to purchase. I've been waiting for over a year to purchase my car, so that was very disappointing. I'm looking for a V6 premium with pony package, comfort package, security package, glass roof, coupe accessory package and maybe 3.31 gears in Deep Impact Blue. The GT is out since this would be a daily driver.

The Ugly,
Developed a bad front end vibration in my '01 Regal this week. The GM dealer looked my car over during the trade in appraisal and basically said my front suspension garbage. They didn't want me to drive the car home for safety concerns. The were going to give me a loaner car for a few days, but I declined. The problem now is that I really want a Mustang and most likely I will need to order it. Now I am screwed since I don't want to spend a dime on my Regal and it looks to be too expensive for a rental. My wife is a stay at home mom, but still needs a car for the kids. Tough decisions ahead. I guess I'll swing by Mr. Tire to see what the damage is.
-Steve
Don't know why you turned down the loaner, but maybe you could rent a car, or borrow one from a family member or friend until you get your Mustang.
Old 2/2/13 | 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Buy a Beater then trade it in when you buy your car!
Old 2/2/13 | 07:33 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
Don't know why you turned down the loaner, but maybe you could rent a car, or borrow one from a family member or friend until you get your Mustang.
Well the loaner would have gone back next week with the purchase of the new Camaro. I decided the Mustang was the car I really wanted, so I declined.

Originally Posted by the5
Buy a Beater then trade it in when you buy your car!
I already have the beater. lol I just needed it to last a couple months longer while I ordered a new Mustang with all of the options I wanted. Just my luck something on my car breaks just before I decide to order the car. I don't think I can wait any longer to buy a Mustang. The 6-12 weeks for the order is going to kill me. The rental is a possibility.
Old 2/2/13 | 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

What about flying across the country and driving the car back?

Thats of course If you find one with your options
Old 2/2/13 | 08:16 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by the5
What about flying across the country and driving the car back?

Thats of course If you find one with your options

If I could only convince the wife.
Old 2/3/13 | 06:56 AM
GTR Member

Thumbs up

Welcome to TMS, and good choice on the Mustang

Call me cynical, but the dealer (I'm assuming it was the Chevy dealer that told you not to drive it home, then offered the loaner?) I bet they just wanted to tie you into deal there and then............there's possibly not much wrong with the Regal.

Now, take your Buick to a garage you trust and get a good idea of what the issue is. Chances are it'll be cheaper to fix it and get it roadworthy than rent a car for what could be a couple of months. Yes, if you order your '14MY Mustang now, it could be at least 6-8 weeks before its built and delivered.

Once you have the initial details of your order, you can then PM Deysha (our Ford rep on this site) and she'll help track the order so you're fully in the loop. See this thread for details:

https://themustangsource.com/f726/20...16755/index19/
Old 2/3/13 | 07:03 AM
GT Member

I was also without a car for about 2 months while waiting for delivery (that was another car, years ago). I found that renting from Enterprise worked out pretty well financially. I basically walked down to my neighborhood location and explained them my situation, they were surprisingly flexible on the pricing.
Old 2/3/13 | 08:10 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Welcome to TMS, and good choice on the Mustang

Call me cynical, but the dealer (I'm assuming it was the Chevy dealer that told you not to drive it home, then offered the loaner?) I bet they just wanted to tie you into deal there and then............there's possibly not much wrong with the Regal.

Now, take your Buick to a garage you trust and get a good idea of what the issue is. Chances are it'll be cheaper to fix it and get it roadworthy than rent a car for what could be a couple of months. Yes, if you order your '14MY Mustang now, it could be at least 6-8 weeks before its built and delivered.

Once you have the initial details of your order, you can then PM Deysha (our Ford rep on this site) and she'll help track the order so you're fully in the loop. See this thread for details:

https://themustangsource.com/f726/20...16755/index19/
Thanks.

Believe me, the loaner car seemed like it might be somewhat of a ploy to get the Camaro sale. I have no doubts that my front end might be toast. The car really went downhill quickly this week. Very aggravating since I was within 4 weeks of wanting to order my new car.

Taking the car to Mr. Tire today and hoping for somewhat of a cheap fix. This is really putting a damper on my Super Bowl Sunday. lol
Old 2/3/13 | 08:13 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by hellogreg
I was also without a car for about 2 months while waiting for delivery (that was another car, years ago). I found that renting from Enterprise worked out pretty well financially. I basically walked down to my neighborhood location and explained them my situation, they were surprisingly flexible on the pricing.
That very well may be my option. My local Ford dealer has an account with Enterprise. My salesman said he would help out with getting me a rental discoutn. I just need to figure out which may be financially better. Repair or renting.
Old 2/3/13 | 08:40 AM
GTR Member

Smile

Originally Posted by RogueWing16
That very well may be my option. My local Ford dealer has an account with Enterprise. My salesman said he would help out with getting me a rental discoutn. I just need to figure out which may be financially better. Repair or renting.
Ask your Ford dealer what he'll offer for your Regal as it is.............and how much he'll offer for it if its fixed. Then see how much it'll be for you to get it fixed, then you have your answer.
Old 2/3/13 | 08:51 AM

The good (mustang)

The bad (challenger)

The ugly (camaro)
Old 2/3/13 | 03:05 PM
V6 Member

Old 2/3/13 | 03:08 PM
V6 Member

**Update**

Got my car back from Mr. Tire. Turns out it was a severe bubble in one of the front tires. Never would have thought that would have caused suck a ruckus driving down the road. Crisis avoided. My wife was starting to steam about the whole situation.

Now I can order my Mustang shortly.
Old 2/3/13 | 03:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Old 2/3/13 | 06:27 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by redbeast0712
The good (mustang)

The bad (challenger)

The ugly (camaro)
X2!!!
Old 2/3/13 | 06:42 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by redbeast0712
The good (mustang)

The bad (challenger)

The ugly (camaro)
That is the truth.
Old 2/3/13 | 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

The gas mpg 5.0 vs a 3.7 really isn't that much. I wouldn't let the gas thing make up your decision. I've had a couple v6's and every time you see a v8 you feel some regret. And the sound of the gt is amazing. You aren't going to get the same sound.
Me an my dad were both looking for commuter cars and once I got my gt he realize that he didn't want the 6. I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just saying you should at least test drive the gt. give her a shot . With the gt you get more fund per mile.
Old 2/3/13 | 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by 05GTJOSH
The gas mpg 5.0 vs a 3.7 really isn't that much. I wouldn't let the gas thing make up your decision. I've had a couple v6's and every time you see a v8 you feel some regret. And the sound of the gt is amazing. You aren't going to get the same sound.
Me an my dad were both looking for commuter cars and once I got my gt he realize that he didn't want the 6. I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just saying you should at least test drive the gt. give her a shot . With the gt you get more fund per mile.
I felt the same way and I had 2 v6 mustang and always wanted a v8
Old 2/3/13 | 08:39 PM
Cobra Member

Before you order a V8 take a LONG test drive in one and pay attention to the exhaust sound. I love the sound in small doses, but having had cars that were not that quiet, I know it would get tiring in large doses. Road trips are terrific, but too much noise can wear you down.

Quick Reply: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly