2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Getting back into a new Mustang tomorrow. A few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/14, 12:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting back into a new Mustang tomorrow. A few questions...

A few years ago we traded in our 2008 GT/CS so that we could move from Cleveland to Charlotte. Now that that's happened, tomorrow we're driving to Atlanta to pick up a DIB 2014 Mustang GT with the track pack. I've been doing some catching up on what has changed since 3 years ago and what's new with the new 5.0's. I do have some planned mods already:

Exhaust
Tune (no CAI)
1" lowering springs
American Muscle 2013 charcoal Shelby wheels
American Muscle 5" GT500-style silver stripes
Tint

I do have a few questions though that I was hoping to clarify before I leave tomorrow:

1.) I've read conflicting things about the new 5.0's requiring premium gas. Is this correct? I googled the 2014 owner's manual and from what I can tell, 87 is acceptable, but premium will yield better performance. Is that correct?

2.) I see that the Track Pack-equipped cars require 8.5 quarts of 5W-50 oil. I've never even heard of 5W-50, so where is the best (cheapest) place to get that? Also, since it takes 8.5 quarts, does it have an extended oil change interval? That's a lot of freaking oil to change every 5,000 miles (but I'll do it!).

3.) I've discovered that the "useful" mods for these cars aren't the same as what I previously experienced. With that in mind, I'm wanting to get a Procal for tuning instead of a CAI and tuner. Who seems to be the cheapest on those as a stand alone item? Also, I've read of people paying dealerships anywhere from $50-200 to have them install it so as to be covered by the warranty. That's quite a range for something that probably takes them 20 minutes. Out of that range, is there an average typical price?

4.) GT500 or Roush axle-backs? I can't decide!!!!

5.) if I replace the staro down the road once the CarPlay-capable units hit the market, will I lose the Sync features/functionality, or can that be preserved?

6.) The car we're getting has the pedestal spoiler, which I hate. Unless another DIB owner with the standard spoiler wants to trade deck kids, I'll probably replace it with a GT500 spoiler so that the mounting holes are (hopefully) covered. Would these be a direct swap or would drilling be required?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any answers.

Last edited by John H; 4/26/14 at 12:12 PM.
Old 4/26/14, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Mustang

Congrats on the new mustang. I have 13 V6 but I had read a lot of threads that will help your questions. You can also do a search on the home page about oil grade.

A few years ago we traded in our 2008 GT/CS so that we could move from Cleveland to Charlotte. Now that that's happened, tomorrow we're driving to Atlanta to pick up a DIB 2014 Mustang GT with the track pack. I've been doing some catching up on what has changed since 3 years ago and what's new with the new 5.0's. I do have a few questions though that I was hoping to clarify before I leave tomorrow:

1.) I've read conflicting things about the new 5.0's requiring premium gas. Is this correct? I googled the 2014 owner's manual and from what I can tell, 87 is acceptable, but premium will yield better performance. Is that correct? It is highly recommended to run premium gas for performance and gas mileage.

2.) I see that the Track Pack-equipped cars require 8.5 quarts of 5W-50 oil. I've never even heard of 5W-50, so where is the best (cheapest) place to get that? Also, since it takes 8.5 quarts, does it have an extended oil change interval? That's a lot of freaking oil to change every 5,000 miles (but I'll do it!). Yes they take a lot of oil. The average interval is 10,000 miles. If you are purchasing the premium version it has a cool cluster of instruments in the middle above the steering wheel. One of the items is the oil tracker and the car will tell you when it is time for a change.

3.) I've discovered that the "useful" mods for these cars aren't the same as what I previously experienced. With that in mind, I'm wanting to get a Procal for tuning instead of a CAI and tuner. Who seems to be the cheapest on those as a stand alone item? Also, I've read of people paying dealerships anywhere from $50-200 to have them install it so as to be covered by the warranty. That's quite a range for something that probably takes them 20 minutes. Out of that range, is there an average typical price? Reminder if you do a tune it will void the warranty, which is why people will have the dealership perform the tune. Prices range based on dealership.

4.) GT500 or Roush axle-backs? I can't decide!!!! It depends on your budget and what kind of sound you are after. Personally I am going to upgrade to Roush exhaust. It provides a good sound and there won't be much boom inside the car. Search that in YouTube and there are a few videos that will help you out with this.

5.) if I replace the staro down the road once the CarPlay-capable units hit the market, will I lose the Sync features/functionality, or can that be preserved? This question I don't know, but if you do mess with the head radio part you would probably loose the Microsoft sync and satellite radio if your car is equipped.

Post some pics when you pick her up.
Old 4/26/14, 12:42 PM
Cobra Member

You can run 87 octane but put 91 or 93 in for best performance.

There are plenty of places that carry 5w-50, and won't get into a which brand debate.

The cost seems reasonable, you can now also purchase the Boss Trackey tune from the dealer and still keep your warranty.

GT500 if you want good rumble, Roush if you want more loud.

See the Kenwood thread in the audio section for pix of the iDatalink Maestro kit that retains Sync and adds gauges from ODB2 data.

The holes don't align, you will have to drill extra holes.
Old 4/26/14, 12:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The poster above gave you some great answers!

As far as the axle-backs are concerned, depends on how loud you want it. I have the Roush ABs and love them. Get nothing but compliments on them. Men, women, it doesn't matter, everyone loves them. The GT500s are cheaper and from what I've heard they sound great. Everyone says they are what should have been on the car from the factory. Ford would have never put the Roush ABs on from the factory. They are kind of loud! No drone though.

Can't wait to see pics of your car!
Old 4/26/14, 01:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Congrats on the new ride John. Just a couple of my thoughts.

#1 - We have run regular gas in our 5.0L for 15K miles with no problems at all. With the auto tranny it yields 20 city/26 Hwy with normal driving.

#4 - The Wifey ( it's her car) went with the GT500 mufflers, and they do sound great. Great sound when your on the gas, but quiet if you want them to be with absolutely no drone in the cabin at cruising speed. And they don't **** off the neighbors.
Old 4/26/14, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run the SLP loudmouth axle backs and love them. As for the stereo, Check out the American Muscle Raxiom Nav unit. Its an easy install, you gain Nav, and it sounds good.
Old 4/26/14, 02:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by trizzot
I run the SLP loudmouth axle backs and love them. As for the stereo, Check out the American Muscle Raxiom Nav unit. Its an easy install, you gain Nav, and it sounds good.
Not sure if the Raxiom is CarPlay capable. It doesn't change the sound at all because it uses the factory head unit. Don't get me wrong, I love mine.
Old 4/26/14, 03:40 PM
Banned

Don't get the Raxiom, it's garbage. It's just the stock deck w/ a nav screen added. Plus the support for the maps and it's software it pretty crappy if you do research.

doesn't "sound good" it's the same as stock. also, it's no Raxiom and it doesn't have anything special. It's just a Rosen unit, which is $50 cheaper when gotten through them instead of AM
Old 4/26/14, 04:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Don't get the Raxiom, it's garbage. It's just the stock deck w/ a nav screen added. Plus the support for the maps and it's software it pretty crappy if you do research.

doesn't "sound good" it's the same as stock. also, it's no Raxiom and it doesn't have anything special. It's just a Rosen unit, which is $50 cheaper when gotten through them instead of AM
Why would you say its garbage? Do you have it? Have you seen it in person? Its a great option for those that didn't get the factory nav and don't want to spend over a grand for an aftermarket unit. Plus it works perfectly with the factory sync and steering wheel controls.
Old 4/26/14, 04:12 PM
Banned

I have seen it.

It's laggy, the UI is old, the resolution on the screen isn't much. the software isn't updated regularly, the maps are old, etc. Wife looked at it and immediately thought it was crap. NAVTEQ (not the greatest) and there seems to be consistent issues with the system and the fact the SD cards which this all runs on are flaky

Reviews on tomshardware were pretty crappy too.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussi...re-problems/p1

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3520-9.html

Yeah, I'll agree if you want nav and nothing more, something is better than nothing.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 4/26/14 at 04:14 PM.
Old 4/26/14, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Congrats on the new car
I just got my 14 track pack car in March!
I bought the ford power pack kit from AM it comes with GT500 mufflers and procal tuner, after the forum discount I got it for $560 to my door
I put the mufflers on my self took about an 1 1/2 on my garage floor!
I love the sound, no drone and good clean sound when on the gas
I'm getting the tune put on Monday they are charging me $100
Well worth it to keep the factory warranty!
Once you put on the tune you will have to run a min. of 91 octane !
( but it only costs about $3 a tank more than the cheap stuff!
You should also think about getting an air oil separator, even the guys at Ford Motorsport recommend getting one when you put on the tune, helps fight detonation, ( oil vapor mixed with your fuel lowers octane) especially since I live in CA where I can only get 91 not 93 octane!
I went with a Moroso oil separator works great I can't be leave how much oil it catches!
Enjoy the new car!
Old 4/26/14, 04:17 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for all of the replies!

Regarding the octane, I'm glad to know I basically have the option to run whatever. Maybe I'll split the difference and go with 89 since all around the Charlotte area, premium is 93 apparently, instead of 91.

I'm glad to know that 5W-50 shouldn't be [I]too[I] hard to find. I hadn't even heard of it until yesterday. I am getting the premium package, so it'll have the oil change info in the dash. One question though: is it smart enough to monitor driving habits, conditions, etc to know when the oil needs changed, or does it do like my Wrangler I'm trading in and go strictly by mileage driven?

As far as the axle-backs, I know it mostly comes down to preference. Now that I live more in the country, I'm not concerned with upsetting neighbors, but I don't want anything obnoxious as this is my only vehicle, but I want it to be more loud and mean sounding both at idle and while getting on it. Although I'd like freeway driving to be reasonably quiet with NO DRONE at all.

I will definitely go with the Procal and have a dealership install the tune so as to have warranty coverage. I can't afford to have a catastrophic incident with the engine due to a tune that wouldn't be covered by the warranty. The track key sounds cool, but from what I've read, the Procal does more and the two can't coexist.

Regarding the GT500 spoiler, I guess I should amend my question to "will the GT500 spoiler cover the mounting holes for the pedestal spoiler, regardless if I have to drill new holes to install the GT500 spoiler?

I definitely want to get a CarPlay-capable head unit when they come out, so I won't consider any of the other options for now. Even if I'd lose SYNC, being able to have the iPhone mirroring and stuff would probably be worth it. Unless there's really cool stuff that SYNC does that I'm not aware of.
Old 4/26/14, 04:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
Congrats on the new car
I just got my 14 track pack car in March!
I bought the ford power pack kit from AM it comes with GT500 mufflers and procal tuner, after the forum discount I got it for $560 to my door
That's a pretty good deal it sounds like. I might have to consider that package and possibly add a resonator delete because the Roush axle-back is like $460 or something I saw.

Once you put on the tune you will have to run a min. of 91 octane !
( but it only costs about $3 a tank more than the cheap stuff!)
Around here, there is no 91, just 93. So it's about 40 cents more per gallon (according to my gas buddy app) over the 87. I don't know how many gallons the Mustang holds but I'm guessing it'll be closer to about $10 more per tank. But that's still not too terribly bad. But, you've gotta pay to play!

You should also think about getting an air oil separator, even the guys at Ford Motorsport recommend getting one when you put on the tune, helps fight detonation, ( oil vapor mixed with your fuel lowers octane) especially since I live in CA where I can only get 91 not 93 octane!
I went with a Moroso oil separator works great I can't be leave how much oil it catches!
Enjoy the new car!
I will definitely look into this. Thanks for the tip!
Old 4/26/14, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Car holds 16 gallons!
So $6.50 a tank, more then regular!
My car came with 87 in it when I bought it, since then I have only ran 91!
But many people run them with 87 and have no problem!
Just remember when you tune it you have to run the better gas!
Your going to love it compared to your 09!
Post some pics when you get it!
Old 4/26/14, 04:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GT500's...nice and deep and throaty....perfect. ..and they are the cheapest.
Old 4/26/14, 06:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by John H
Thanks for all of the replies!

Regarding the octane, I'm glad to know I basically have the option to run whatever. Maybe I'll split the difference and go with 89 since all around the Charlotte area, premium is 93 apparently, instead of 91.
The car is stock tuned to run best on 91, as it's the lowest octane premium gas available all over the country. So until you put your tune on, it won't take full advantage. The power difference between 87 and 91 is apparently less than 15 HP though, so you shouldn't really notice though plenty of guys claim there's a difference, which is probably mostly placebo.

I'm glad to know that 5W-50 shouldn't be [I]too[I] hard to find. I hadn't even heard of it until yesterday. I am getting the premium package, so it'll have the oil change info in the dash. One question though: is it smart enough to monitor driving habits, conditions, etc to know when the oil needs changed, or does it do like my Wrangler I'm trading in and go strictly by mileage driven?
It is not just based on mileage - it takes into account speed, RPMs, how you drive the car, temperature, etc. Anything short of 7,500 miles per oil change, IMO, is silly especially if you're running full synthetic but there's a lot of debate on that. The 3,000 oil change myth's marketing over the past 40 years has been incredibly effective and some still believe it.

As far as the axle-backs, I know it mostly comes down to preference. Now that I live more in the country, I'm not concerned with upsetting neighbors, but I don't want anything obnoxious as this is my only vehicle, but I want it to be more loud and mean sounding both at idle and while getting on it. Although I'd like freeway driving to be reasonably quiet with NO DRONE at all.
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Borla S-Type axlebacks yet. Based on a TON of threads about exhaust, I would say the overall consensus on this board is that, price-no-object, Borlas are the best. If you're looking to save about $300 or more (Borlas are typically almost $700 for axlebacks), GT-500's are the way to go. Corsa has a lot of fans too. Kooks, Stainless Works, Flowmaster, Bassani, Magnaflow and others all have fans...but they're definitely not as popular as the Borlas/GT-500's.

Congrats on the new ride - welcome back!
Old 4/26/14, 07:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
You can run 87 octane but put 91 or 93 in for best performance.

There are plenty of places that carry 5w-50, and won't get into a which brand debate.

The cost seems reasonable, you can now also purchase the Boss Trackey tune from the dealer and still keep your warranty.

GT500 if you want good rumble, Roush if you want more loud.

See the Kenwood thread in the audio section for pix of the iDatalink Maestro kit that retains Sync and adds gauges from ODB2 data.

The holes don't align, you will have to drill extra holes.

The holes align when we ship you two of the correct brackets.. : )
Old 4/27/14, 07:36 PM
Cobra Member

Welp. I picked up my new baby today. I absolutely love it and I'm impressed with how much power it has when compared to our lightly modded '08 GT/CS that was probably around 330-ish HP after CAI/tuner, under drive pulleys and various suspension mods.

I can't wait to do a few mods to it, most notably exhaust and 1'' lowering springs. Stand by for a few unimpressive pics...

The outgoing Jeep and the new ride:
Getting back into a new Mustang tomorrow. A few questions...-image.jpg

Stopping for lunch after a long trek to Atlanta and the. Wrapping up the deal at Sandy Springs Ford. Very good experience there.

And two poor pics at the gas station after getting back to Charlotte:

These are the wheels I intend to get:

And these are the stripes I want:

Last edited by John H; 4/27/14 at 08:03 PM.
Old 4/27/14, 09:37 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Awesome car!
Old 4/27/14, 10:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats .. I have a Jeep JK and my Stang .. if I had to pick one of them .. I'd probably keep the Jeep ...

Quick Reply: Getting back into a new Mustang tomorrow. A few questions...