Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Gear ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/10, 11:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeejolts
I have attached a spreadsheet that has rpms for all of the gears / ratios.
Looks like the difference is not extreme enough to make me want to change them. couple mph, no big deal. The only valid argument against 3.73's I've heard is if all you care about is the 1/4 mile and the shift from 4/5 falls right before the trap. Even then it only effects people hardcore about getting the fastest possible 1/4 as the only reason to get the car.
Old 5/25/10, 11:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
I bought the 3.73 specifically because of traffic. Atlanta has some of the worst traffic in the US. D.C. is up there, too. The 3.73 gears mean the car will be moving a couple mph slower when in first gear at idle speed. That will make it easier to creep in traffic. My guess / hope is that I'll be able to get the car into first without even touching the gas.

On the highway in 6th, you won't even notice the 3.73s. It's a 200 rpm difference.
for the most part you can creep in traffic with very little touching of the throttle. I really like having the 3.73 and truely think that the people that say the 3.73s are "useless" are the ones that have never driven a new 5.0. 2200 rpm for this motor at 75 mph is smooth and I'm already up to 19.3 mpg on the first tank of highway and intown driving (some of it sideways, driving this car is a blast ).
Old 5/25/10, 11:54 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by HokieCodeMonkey
Looks like the difference is not extreme enough to make me want to change them. couple mph, no big deal. The only valid argument against 3.73's I've heard is if all you care about is the 1/4 mile and the shift from 4/5 falls right before the trap. Even then it only effects people hardcore about getting the fastest possible 1/4 as the only reason to get the car.
if someone is that hardcore about dragracing there 5.0 then they should just get a little taller slick anyways.
Old 5/25/10, 11:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshuaEIB
for the most part you can creep in traffic with very little touching of the throttle. I really like having the 3.73 and truely think that the people that say the 3.73s are "useless" are the ones that have never driven a new 5.0. 2200 rpm for this motor at 75 mph is smooth and I'm already up to 19.3 mpg on the first tank of highway and intown driving (some of it sideways, driving this car is a blast ).
Not too terrible fuel mileage. 2200 at 75 isn't too bad, it would make highway driving a little easier, my biggest complaint about my Accord is the need to shift to do anything on the highway. Just speed up even. With the 5.0, highway speeds seem pretty effortless. If I really feel I need the mpg, the speed limit is actually 60 mph from my place to work so I could just sit back and relax at 60 for a while, probably sky rocket my fuel mileage!

BTW your White with Brembo's looks great.
Old 5/25/10, 12:00 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
Not too terrible fuel mileage. 2200 at 75 isn't too bad, it would make highway driving a little easier, my biggest complaint about my Accord is the need to shift to do anything on the highway. Just speed up even. With the 5.0, highway speeds seem pretty effortless. If I really feel I need the mpg, the speed limit is actually 60 mph from my place to work so I could just sit back and relax at 60 for a while, probably sky rocket my fuel mileage!

BTW your White with Brembo's looks great.
yeah speeding up in 6th gear even doing just 55mph is no problem for the 5.0 (she has the power )

and thank you she gets lots of looks from people.
Old 5/25/10, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by HokieCodeMonkey
Yeah.. you'll be happy with the 3.73. Not that the 3.31's wont launch you back into your seat... but if you enjoy that feeling, then you'll only get more of it with the 3.73's.
Old 5/25/10, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Please keep us posted on your gas mileage. I am torn between the 3.55 and 3.73. Just cant make up my mind or come to grips with it. I have also considered the 3.31 which makes it even worse for me. I have never waffled so bad on something in my life. I am not a drag racer but want good performance but I dont want to be killed at the gas pump either. On the Ford stickers they rate each gear the same for gas mileage. I still dont know how they get away with this. Maybe a truck person can come in here and explain it.

I am waiting for real world results. I kinda think 3.55 gears may be best for me. But, I dont want to short change myself either because the 3.73 gear will accelerate better from a roll of course. I just wonder if you can feel the difference? I dont race on the street at all because I am too old and wise. The only exception to this is if I have to peel the paint off of a ricer. I will flat lay the smack down on them in a hurry if needed. Did I mention I hate ricers?

I like to take long trips so mileage matters. I would like to hear from someone with 3.73 gears who took a long trip with the AC running wide open and running about 75. I would also like to hear the same for the other gears. I guess I need to drive them all. I have *****ed for years about Ford not giving us options and now that they have it has my head spinning. Be careful what you wish for but thank you Ford.
Old 5/25/10, 01:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by chevys
Please keep us posted on your gas mileage. I am torn between the 3.55 and 3.73. Just cant make up my mind or come to grips with it. I have also considered the 3.31 which makes it even worse for me. I have never waffled so bad on something in my life. I am not a drag racer but want good performance but I dont want to be killed at the gas pump either. On the Ford stickers they rate each gear the same for gas mileage. I still dont know how they get away with this. Maybe a truck person can come in here and explain it.

I am waiting for real world results. I kinda think 3.55 gears may be best for me. But, I dont want to short change myself either because the 3.73 gear will accelerate better from a roll of course. I just wonder if you can feel the difference? I dont race on the street at all because I am too old and wise. The only exception to this is if I have to peel the paint off of a ricer. I will flat lay the smack down on them in a hurry if needed. Did I mention I hate ricers?

I like to take long trips so mileage matters. I would like to hear from someone with 3.73 gears who took a long trip with the AC running wide open and running about 75. I would also like to hear the same for the other gears. I guess I need to drive them all. I have *****ed for years about Ford not giving us options and now that they have it has my head spinning. Be careful what you wish for but thank you Ford.
will do! this weekend i am leaving on a vacation from Phoenix, AZ to Colorado, South Dakota, Wyoming and back. I will try to keep you posted on its gas milage for all of that with 3.73 gears.
Old 5/25/10, 02:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

1st Tank 100% In-Town with some beating on it. 259.5 miles (5.0 - 264.5 miles) on 13.0 gal for an average of 19.96 mpg.

So far the second tank is showing 21.0 mpg on Info Center. Again 100% in town. I failed to reset it on intial fill so it included all the idling around at the plant, during transport and dealer prep so showed around 18.0 mpg when I refueled.

Im a notorious short-shifter in normal driving. I start off in 2nd and shift to the next gear as soon as it will pull it cleanly. Except when I start off in 4th by accident which this engine will do with 3.55.

Last edited by Gene K; 5/25/10 at 02:11 PM.
Old 5/25/10, 02:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Gene K
1st Tank 100% In-Town with some beating on it. 259.5 miles (5.0 - 264.5 miles) on 13.0 gal for an average of 19.96 mpg.

So far the second tank is showing 21.0 mpg on Info Center. I failed to reset it on intial fill so it included all the idling around at the plant, during transport and dealer prep so showed around 18.0 mpg when I refueled.
yeah i didnt reset mine when i picked it up so it seems a little low at 19.3 for how far i have gone.
Old 5/25/10, 02:36 PM
V6 Member

Wow, 19+ mpg is better than what I'm getting with the 3.31 gears and I only hit it every now and then. I got 16.3 mpg on my first tank; wonder if it'll get better, not that I really care. I actually called my local Ford dealer and asked them how much it'd be to switch to the 3.73, they quoted me $1600, which I know is way over what an aftermarket shop could do it for.
Old 5/25/10, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

will do! this weekend i am leaving on a vacation from Phoenix, AZ to Colorado, South Dakota, Wyoming and back. I will try to keep you posted on its gas milage for all of that with 3.73 gears.
thank you a ton. Please keep us posted. Have fun and try to stay out of the go pedal. I am so interested in what you think overall with the car. Be careful and I wish you a safe trip.
Old 5/25/10, 02:58 PM
GT Member

The owner's manual says don't try and gauge gas mileage for the first 1,000 miles.
Old 5/25/10, 03:37 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by objoe
The owner's manual says don't try and gauge gas mileage for the first 1,000 miles.
my overall trip is going to be ~2500-2600 miles over 2 weeks so i think i have it covered.
Old 5/25/10, 04:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow my first tank was 17.8 and second one was 15.1. All city. Lots of go pedal.
Old 5/27/10, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Currently the quickest Showroom Stock 2011 Mustang GT is a 400A Premium with Manual 6-Speed, 3.31 Gears and 18" All-Season Tires. Mike Bowen has been 12.58 @ 112.

Dont blink though as I suspect 12.4 will fall before the week is out.
Old 6/6/10, 05:56 PM

Ahh for the old days a 427 and 4.33 gears w/ detroit locker
Old 6/7/10, 05:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Consider this... The nickel 19s are taller than the Brembo's...

The overall diameter on the P255/40R19 Brembo tire is 27.0" The overall diameter on the P245/45R19 GT and GT/CS is 27.7" According to my calcs, that's about 2.55% taller than the Brembos. Taller tire lowers the overall final drive ratio, blah blah.... Is it safe to say that it would be like only having a 3.63 axle ratio? ( 3.73 minus 2.55%)

It could be the difference of having to shift into 5th at the end of the quarter or not....
Old 6/7/10, 08:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
On paper it is going to seems like a hard justification to get the 3.73's. I did get the opportunity to drive a 3.73 car and I agree it did feel worlds different than the 3.31. I thought the 3.31's felt smooth and relaxed where the 3.73 car was more volitile. As for the in traffic dispute I think is about worthless. When driving the 3.31 I had no problems with low speeds. I actually thought it was nice to be able to stay in 1st and 2nd a little longer. Both cars made great power for my personal feel. One just felt calm and reserved, the other more like a volitile beast. I also had made the assumption that the 3.73's would feel bad on the highway, not true, crusing in at 62-70 the car really felt great, even in 6th. With the 3.31, 6th gear is not where the car shines from a performance stand point and really left me wanting more. It sped up fine but it felt much better on the 3.73.
I think at this point I am just going to have to find a 3.55 geared car and drive it as well, if it is the "new James Bond" equivalent, smooth with a bit of crazy, that's what I would like. I gotta say though, the 3.73's are tempting. I'd rather that crazy be a little more in the higher gears rather than the lower because like it's been said before, just because it looks and feels faster, doesn't mean that it is.
Did I just poop on this thread? Oh well, just my opinions, I seem to kill threads anyway.
Old 6/7/10, 09:05 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
On paper it is going to seems like a hard justification to get the 3.73's. I did get the opportunity to drive a 3.73 car and I agree it did feel worlds different than the 3.31. I thought the 3.31's felt smooth and relaxed where the 3.73 car was more volitile. As for the in traffic dispute I think is about worthless. When driving the 3.31 I had no problems with low speeds. I actually thought it was nice to be able to stay in 1st and 2nd a little longer. Both cars made great power for my personal feel. One just felt calm and reserved, the other more like a volitile beast. I also had made the assumption that the 3.73's would feel bad on the highway, not true, crusing in at 62-70 the car really felt great, even in 6th. With the 3.31, 6th gear is not where the car shines from a performance stand point and really left me wanting more. It sped up fine but it felt much better on the 3.73.
This is good to hear about the 3.73. I test drove a 3.31 GT manual and it was a little docile at low speed(20 to 40). I was able to chirp in second though on the back road. The salesman said it would chirp third too. I find in the Vette, I am always shifting early up to 3rd or 4th in town as there is still plenty of torque to handle city driving. I expect the same will be the case with the 3.73s.