2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Front Liscense Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/10, 06:52 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I think the front bumper comes from the factory with very small dents so the dealer will know where to drill the holes for the bracket. We don't have front license plates in my state, so no holes for me.
Old 4/26/10, 09:18 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
So let me get this straight...The factory drills the license plate bracket holes and the dealer just installs it???

Say it aint so! If thats true I'm gonna be on the phone tomorrow making sure they don't do that to my car!

Can Shaun, Overboost, Jeff, or Brian verify?
There are small guide points for drilling to put the OEM one in. All cars have them now. Just ask the dealer to keep that crap off the car, and they won't do it. Otherwise they can order you a new bumper.

I suggest anyone who is **** about their car write out specifically what you want them to do for prep work and make sure they sign it. I'm having mine delivered with no wash, plastic on the seats, and just a fluid check done when I pick it up. I'll do the rest of the work myself.
Old 4/26/10, 09:54 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I had the hide-a-way plate holder on my '08. When I ordered the car, I told me dealer not to punch the holes in the bumper and leave the front plate off, which they did. No holes in the front, just the little dimples to show where to put the holes.

The plate holder I found to be very durable. Even got too close to those parking space stopper curb thingies a few times and scraped the license plate, but the holder held up well. Got stopped once for no plate, told the cop that it was there and pulled it up. Got a lecture but no ticket. Motorized version would be nice since you just hit the button when pulled over.

This thread has pics of my install. Not quite a '10 or '11, but it will give you an idea of how it looks underneath.

https://themustangsource.com/showthr...e+plate+holder
Old 4/26/10, 10:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like a lot of trouble just to avoid showing a front license plate. Avoiding a ticket is one thing, but you still get the inconvenience of being pulled over. Why put a retractable on?
Old 4/26/10, 12:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Keep the bugs off or from someone stealing it i think most use for show purpose
Old 4/26/10, 12:37 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
If you look close at any new bumper you can see them imagine where the plate would go and the distance between the holes and you will see it was tough for me to poke mine but as i was stopped and given a choice ticket right there or attach i did it , no big deal .
Originally Posted by Overboost
There are small guide points for drilling to put the OEM one in. All cars have them now. Just ask the dealer to keep that crap off the car, and they won't do it. Otherwise they can order you a new bumper.

I suggest anyone who is **** about their car write out specifically what you want them to do for prep work and make sure they sign it. I'm having mine delivered with no wash, plastic on the seats, and just a fluid check done when I pick it up. I'll do the rest of the work myself.
Hey thanks guys, I was starting to get worried. I'll tell the dealership.
Old 4/26/10, 12:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey thanks guys, I was starting to get worried. I'll tell the dealership.
Aren't you guys required to have a front license plate in CA ?
Old 4/26/10, 12:54 PM
GTR Member

I believe they are, but if you're going to do an aftermarket front plate kit, don't let them drill the bumper and damage it. You could even order the plate mount and give it to them and have them put it on for you when they get the car ready if you choose so.
Old 4/26/10, 12:59 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Aren't you guys required to have a front license plate in CA ?
Yes we are. I want to put my own no-drill kit on though
Old 4/26/10, 01:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To me the whole point to any of these alternate plate holders is NOT DRILLING HOLES IN THE BUMPER COVER !!

The motorized one would be great if you could wire it to automatically pop up out from under the bumper when you start the car and go back in hiding when you shut the engine off ... kind of like a power antenna. The little remote control they supply with it is just a silly gimmick IMO.

For the year round daily driver crowd (like me), just add a interupt switch so you could keep it UP ... like durring the winter when it could freeze in the down position !!

Doug
Old 4/26/10, 01:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Yes we are. I want to put my own no-drill kit on though
Bah. If my SN95 didn't have the recess for the plate, I would go without it. It's worth the ticket. What a stupid law.
Old 4/29/10, 10:45 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Hey guys, I just asked craig at http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/ if he had a drill-free bracket for the 2010-11 yet. He said he's got them but he's out of stock right now. Below are pics (this one is bare metal he said but the final version will be black)

Attached Thumbnails Front Liscense Plate Bracket-libracket.jpg   Front Liscense Plate Bracket-libracket2.jpg   Front Liscense Plate Bracket-libracket3.jpg  
Old 4/29/10, 01:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey guys, I just asked craig at http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/ if he had a drill-free bracket for the 2010-11 yet. He said he's got them but he's out of stock right now. Below are pics (this one is bare metal he said but the final version will be black)

That's for GT's ... gotta come up with one for us V6 guys with the honeycomb in the lower grill opening. I'd be all for modifying this lower grill or removing it altogether to make something work (does not match the upper grill on an MCA anyway).

I'm going to e-mail him to see if the GT one will work on a V6 if the lower grill is removed or modded !!

Doug

Last edited by orange3.9stang; 4/29/10 at 01:28 PM.
Old 4/29/10, 01:28 PM

Why the tape on the license plate?
Old 4/29/10, 01:33 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by denlem
Why the tape on the license plate?
Old 4/29/10, 01:35 PM
Post *****

Does Ben still make his?

It clamps on - no drilling. Also keeps the lower grill insert in place. Had mine 2 years now.

https://themustangsource.com/showthr...+license+plate
Old 4/29/10, 01:39 PM
GTR Member

That's a nice kit for you front LP people. Definitely the route I'd go.

What's up with people not knowing how to spell license on here? Thread title spelling fail.
Old 4/29/10, 01:51 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Overboost
That's a nice kit for you front LP people. Definitely the route I'd go.

What's up with people not knowing how to spell license on here? Thread title spelling fail.
maybe "cuando vas a venir a visitarme john? me dijo my abuela que ya sacaste tu liscensia?? haha yo tambien!!!! =] bueno aca the esparo =] ..."
Old 4/29/10, 02:34 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
maybe "cuando vas a venir a visitarme john? me dijo my abuela que ya sacaste tu liscensia?? haha yo tambien!!!! =] bueno aca the esparo =] ..."
Tengo un gato in mis pantalones senor.

Beans & disease to you as well my friend.
Old 4/29/10, 02:49 PM

Tengo una serpiente en la mía!

Last edited by denlem; 4/29/10 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Front Liscense Plate Bracket