Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is Ford waiting too long to reveal the 2010 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/08, 01:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This article from Jalopnik states that an official production car reveal date for the 2010 Camaro would be slated for July 22nd with dealers more than likely being allowed to take orders that same day! Dodge already has the 2008/09 Challenger listed on their website with full specs and trim levels.

Considering that a possible reveal of the 2010 Stang wouldn't take place until at least the Los Angeles Auto Show in November, don't you think at the very least that it is time for some "unofficial photos" to slip out of the 2010 Mustang sans camo?? I know that you always save the best for last, but...

http://jalopnik.com/398262/more-on-t...d-unofficially
http://www.dodge.com/en/2008/challenger/

Last edited by KGray571; 7/11/08 at 02:19 PM.
Old 7/11/08, 02:16 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
As far as the Camaro is concerned, the world and his wife already know what it looks like.

Rather than seeing the 2010 Mustang slowly reveal itself by losing more and more camo (as the Camaro has done) I'd much rather Ford just show us the real thing in all it's polished glory in November in LA.

Still, I'm sure Ford will play the game and a few new "spyshots" will be along in a week or two to steal some of GM's thunder.
Old 7/11/08, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

The camaro already looks old to me because everyone has known about it forever. I think GM was scared to death they would screw it up and leaked photos for that reason. People are raising four kinds of cain speculating about the weight. Looks to be around 3900 lbs give or take but we will have to wait and see. Im not impressed at all with two tons of fun.

I think Ford should just drop the mustang on us all at once. I cant get excited about the 10 mustang either because of no 5.0. When the DI versions become available I will be though. That may be 2013 but who knows.
Old 7/11/08, 07:44 PM
Cobra Member

Agree with everyone who has posted, the Camaro looks old and it isn't even available yet. The final version was leaked soo far in advance that everyone knows what it will look like. The Challenger is a much better looking car IMHO, however, everyone also knows it will only be around for a few years.
Old 7/11/08, 08:06 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No !
Old 7/12/08, 01:55 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

No. If they try to go toe-to-toe with the Camaro they'll lose alot of buzz/hype due to the fact that the Bowtie will be available sooner.In other words, they'll be in the same boat Camaro is right now compared to the Chally. Better to wait until the last possible minute, so it looks fresh on the lot.
Old 7/12/08, 07:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Well in my dream world Ford let's the Challenger and Camaro reveal themselves and then suddenly appears with a dragon slayer of a car! 400-450hp, plus a lighter car than gm and dodge. I keep hoping Ford has some sort of trump card they are waiting to play. But maybe I'm giving them too much credit?
Old 7/12/08, 08:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 whammer, maybe they are planning to make it lose about 500lbs and gain that 100hp. which would be fantastic. or just gain 50 hp and lose 750 lbs
Old 7/12/08, 08:50 AM
Cobra R Member

I understand what you guys are saying about making the car look fresh and exciting at launch...... but what if people don't like the way it looks? If they gave us a concept car or some real spy pics, Ford could turn around and make some minor revisions to the car. For example a lot of forum members really dislike the headlight/taillight treatment of the 10' mules running around.

I agree that the Camaro concept is been out for way to long but once it hits the streets it will be different. I had seen the Challenger in magazines since the concept a couple years back but I finally saw one in person and it was pretty cool and different than seeing the pictures. As for the 10' Mustang I doubt it will stand out as much as many suspect because it will still be very similar to the 05-09 model IMO. It reminds me of the last generation 94' got huge buzz and excitement while the 99' was much less important in the public eye. Its kinda funny how the 99-04 eventually became the more popular of the two.
Old 7/12/08, 09:00 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
With regards to change:
This close to the gate, its hard to make changes like that, without delaying the production car.
Which is something I'm sure they don't want to do.

First off, I want to see the car as much as the next guy...but... they are playing this out in a way that is getting us chomping at the bit (are they not?)

They haven't officially shown it yet for a bunch of reasons...
One being that 09s have just come out, and they want to sell those. If they show it too early, they may risk people jumping ship on 09s and waiting for 010.
The reverse can also be said, showing the 2010, some people may not like it and purchase an 09.
But the timing is crucial.

Also, the element of surprise creaping closer and closer to the production date, the other 2 cars have been almost to a point over saturated. We've seen them VERY close to their production shots for years... yes...YEARS...
While that may not deter die hards, some people may see these designs as long in the tooth. They were SO close to their production models that the normal 'element of surprise' that comes with a concept/production car was almost non-existant. with a slight change here and there, it didn't change the overall look of the car.
I'm sure Ford doesn't want to risk doing that with the 2010 ... yes even with it being closer and closer to a production date.

That said...
I don't think the first time we see it will be in LA.
I think that we may see things earlier.
Old 7/12/08, 09:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I understand what you guys are saying about making the car look fresh and exciting at launch...... but what if people don't like the way it looks? If they gave us a concept car or some real spy pics, Ford could turn around and make some minor revisions to the car. For example a lot of forum members really dislike the headlight/taillight treatment of the 10' mules running around.

I agree that the Camaro concept is been out for way to long but once it hits the streets it will be different. I had seen the Challenger in magazines since the concept a couple years back but I finally saw one in person and it was pretty cool and different than seeing the pictures. As for the 10' Mustang I doubt it will stand out as much as many suspect because it will still be very similar to the 05-09 model IMO. It reminds me of the last generation 94' got huge buzz and excitement while the 99' was much less important in the public eye. Its kinda funny how the 99-04 eventually became the more popular of the two.
It's too far along at this point to make any changes. Besides...who's opinion would they listen to? I'm sure there would be just too many opinions, some like this, some like that, etc.
I suspect they've gained enough info since the release of the '05 (from fourms like this) to know what people want to see.
Old 7/12/08, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

NAIAS 2009......we'll all just have to wait. Hell it might even be longer, and maybe I'll get lucky and it will be shown and NYIAS first so I can be the first to see it in person.
Old 7/12/08, 10:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If it has & I think it will the SYNC system it will be my next Mustang , and by then my 14 yr old son will have a 07 GT/CS for his first car. just like when this style came out and I placemy order right here on the pc , they can just call me when it comes in.
Old 7/12/08, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

knee jerk reaction to the question is - YES ... I WANT TO SEE IT NOW. Just show the thing already ... geez.

However, upon calming down and actually reflecting on the question - No, they seem to be going about it the best way.
My reasoning is thus:

First, even in the face of the new Challenger and Camaro, from the first teasers to the full reveals, the present Mustang still garners a great deal of attention from the release of the Bullitt package to the Super Snake, being in the news as much as (if not more than) either of the other two. This allows Ford to blunt the introduction of those new competing models, while still keeping the car that will actually be competing against them under wraps.

Second, and a most recent consideration, is the economy and gas prices. Though this was not likely a consideration, it has become so, and with no concrete 'facts' out yet about the Mustang, Ford can adjust the full line of their offering without having to backtrack as we constantly see GM and Chrysler doing in moving from what was originally planned to what they CAN do based on the market. Ford will be able to make their changes under wraps, without the media scrutiny and customer dissapointments, taking advantage of whatever technology is necessary (even that which may not have been seen as usable previously due to cost) to give the Mustang a lineup that will be more in tune with what will be going on when it is released, not what is going on now (or previously), without the bad press that accompanies not delivering on what was promised as the car was initially shown.

Finally, and as has been stated repeatedly, by waiting, the newness has worn off the competition, they are old cars, old news before they have even hit the showroom floor, while the Mustang is still the unknown entry. Certainly there will be those that buy the Camaro or Challenger without waiting for the Mustang to break cover, however, these are the people that will be buying those respective cars due to their loyalty to that particular brand, the hemi-heads and bow-tie boys, just as the Ford faithfull will be buying the Mustang without much regard for the other two. Those that are wanting this type of car (muscle car) that have no allegiance to a particular brand will have seen the first two, grown accustomed to them, perhaps even tired of them, and (hopefully) be biased towards the newness of the Mustang when it finally comes out.

Thus while I want to see it, and see it now (so I can start saving for it if I happen to like it enough), I have to say it is best that Ford has put it off till the last possible moment to garner the greatest amount of attention and be the best design for the environment into which it is being sold.

Last edited by b_btrick; 7/12/08 at 11:11 AM.
Old 7/13/08, 12:03 PM
Cobra R Member

I think the taillights can be a quick change. I'd rather have something along the lines of a modern version of the 69' taillights. Maybe even something close to the 96-98 tails would work too. I have a feeling that most people's dislike for the next gen tails we have seen so far will lead to a mid cycle change like we saw with the 95' to 96 changeover.
Old 7/13/08, 01:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I think the taillights can be a quick change. I'd rather have something along the lines of a modern version of the 69' taillights. Maybe even something close to the 96-98 tails would work too. I have a feeling that most people's dislike for the next gen tails we have seen so far will lead to a mid cycle change like we saw with the 95' to 96 changeover.

Ask, and ye shall receive.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...&postcount=100

Changing the tailights is not simple as you think. Besides having to buy new plastic injection molds ( $50-$100K depending on the change ) they would also have to be re-tested and re-certified since they are a safety piece. Also, they'd need to fit the same "outer shape", other wise the parts next to them would need changed too ( i.e. fender, bumper, trunklid, again depending on the extent of the change. ) and I don't even want to get into metal stamping tool costs.

Headlight and tailight designs usually need finished about 2 yrs before the start of production to make all the molds and do the testing. So what you see is likely what you'll get, but they look like nice 69-70 style lights to me.I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Old 7/13/08, 02:58 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,956 Likes on 1,584 Posts
IMO the main reason why Ford is waiting to reveal the 2010, is if they reveal it too soon. Then nobody will want current 2009 models, thus hurting sales.

Meanwhile the 2010 Camaro, is already appearing to look dated. As it's been 3 years since the concept version was revealed.

I also believe that will see the 2010 Mustang revealed at this year's upcoming L.A auto show in November.
Old 7/13/08, 03:13 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,956 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by gnat-sum
but they look like nice 69-70 style lights to me.I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Although they sort of resemble 69-70 style tail lights, what I don't like about them is. They're too spread apart, and need moved in closer. I also don't care for the reverse lights being in between the tail lights either

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/13/08 at 03:14 PM.
Old 7/13/08, 06:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
With regards to change:

They haven't officially shown it yet for a bunch of reasons...
One being that 09s have just come out, and they want to sell those. If they show it too early, they may risk people jumping ship on 09s and waiting for 010.
The reverse can also be said, showing the 2010, some people may not like it and purchase an 09.
But the timing is crucial.

This is my exact dilemma. The reveal is what is keeping me from deciding on the '09 or the '10. My main reason for waiting for the 2010 is because I felt that the interior of the '05-'09 was too plain and apparently cheaply made from what I have read in other posts. The spyshots of the 2010 interior have my interest peaked, but.... if the exterior is too far from the current design or looks completely hideous, then I guess I will be clamouring for an '09 before they run out altogether.
Old 7/13/08, 07:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by gnat-sum
Ask, and ye shall receive.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...&postcount=100

Changing the tailights is not simple as you think. Besides having to buy new plastic injection molds ( $50-$100K depending on the change ) they would also have to be re-tested and re-certified since they are a safety piece. Also, they'd need to fit the same "outer shape", other wise the parts next to them would need changed too ( i.e. fender, bumper, trunklid, again depending on the extent of the change. ) and I don't even want to get into metal stamping tool costs.

Headlight and tailight designs usually need finished about 2 yrs before the start of production to make all the molds and do the testing. So what you see is likely what you'll get, but they look like nice 69-70 style lights to me.I don't see what all the fuss is about.
All I'd like them to do is get rid of the reverse lights built into the 3 bar pattern........ then again i'm sure the aftermarket could correct this.

Quick Reply: Is Ford waiting too long to reveal the 2010 Mustang?