I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Question Ford Racing Springs and Procal Tuner questions

Folks.... I need your help/opinion regarding these 2 items:

springs, 1.5" lower
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=8686

Procal tuner, with KN filter
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12346

1) For those of you who have EITHER installed, is it nice? Is it worth it? Likes/Dislikes??? Pics from anyone??? Please post.

2) I would like to confirm that with either of these items, WARRANTY on my vehicle is NOT VOIDED, correct? Under ANY circumstance...

3) Regarding the springs, if you read the description, it asks that it be installed with Ford Racing dampers, strut mounts, etc. Is this truly necessary??? I would like to just have the springs installed to save some $$$. Has anyone done this, and just have the springs installed? These springs should FIT the OEM mounts and dampers on the car, correct?

4) Regarding the Procal tuner, I was hoping to just buy the Procal tuner and no KN filter. Is there a place to just buy that??? I'm not a fan of oiled filters.

thanks for the help!!!
Old 12/14/11, 09:16 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
both could hurt your warranty. I would ask your dealers parts guy or service guy and see the most up to date info.
Old 12/14/11, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can install just the springs and be just fine. Plenty of guys have done that and are happy for awhile then opt for new shocks/struts. When installing just the springs on these cars, the OEM mounts work fine. You won't need new mounts until you install shocks/struts.

In terms of the tuner, I'd go into your dealer and talk to them and also have them do the install. They will warranty it so you don't need to worry.

Hit me up if you need help with the spring install.
Old 12/14/11, 12:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The dealer must install the PRocal Tune .. and it reduces your powertrain warranty from 5/60 to 3/36 ...
Old 12/14/11, 12:29 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Flagstang
both could hurt your warranty. I would ask your dealers parts guy or service guy and see the most up to date info.
Originally Posted by dmhines
The dealer must install the PRocal Tune .. and it reduces your powertrain warranty from 5/60 to 3/36 ...
I spoke to my dealer, and according to him, as long as it's FRPP, I'm covered. I'm really not worried about the warranty of the installed part itself. I more worried about the REST of the car. In other words... say I install the tuner, and my engine blows up 3 months from now, am I covered??? I would say yes. The 60k powertrain still applies. I believe the 36k applies to the TUNER itself, right??? Or say the springs, I install them, 3 months later my shocks go to hell... is that covered under warranty???

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
You can install just the springs and be just fine. Plenty of guys have done that and are happy for awhile then opt for new shocks/struts. When installing just the springs on these cars, the OEM mounts work fine. You won't need new mounts until you install shocks/struts.

In terms of the tuner, I'd go into your dealer and talk to them and also have them do the install. They will warranty it so you don't need to worry.

Hit me up if you need help with the spring install.
Hey Jamie...

Yeah that's what I'm hoping to do with the ProCal tuner... but isn't it a simple install? As in plug into OBD port, and voila? Why would a dealer need to install that? Isn't it plug and play???

As far as spring install, I WANT to do it on my own (with your help) but we don't have tools.... at least I don't. I might know a good installer (JnJ motorsports that could do it).
Old 12/14/11, 12:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5

I spoke to my dealer, and according to him, as long as it's FRPP, I'm covered.
I'd get that in writing. My dealer said the complete opposite when I asked them a while back.
Old 12/14/11, 12:42 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know for a fact you lose your powertrain warranty with the procal tool since its a tune. The springs will void the shocks,struts, springs and brakes. You will have the limited ford racing warranty but a ford dealer that is a ford racing dealer will have to install the parts and note the cars file. Also the procal tune is only worth about 12 hp with the filter.
Old 12/14/11, 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Jamie...

Yeah that's what I'm hoping to do with the ProCal tuner... but isn't it a simple install? As in plug into OBD port, and voila? Why would a dealer need to install that? Isn't it plug and play???

As far as spring install, I WANT to do it on my own (with your help) but we don't have tools.... at least I don't. I might know a good installer (JnJ motorsports that could do it).
In terms of the tuner, you'll have to go into the dealer to install the tune to receive the warranty and it'll be a limited one at that. Read the second to last note on the "Tech Notes" section of this link.

About the springs, I'm down to help you install them. Sadly, all my tools are down in Texas in storage. I know Autozone rents spring compressors. Do you have everyday tools such as socket wrenches, torque wrench to remove wheels/tires, etc? I've never heard of JnJ Motorsports but that's not a bad thing. Just keep me posted on when you want to do the springs. I leave for the Army on January 31st so hopefully we can do the install before then.
Old 12/14/11, 03:03 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
In terms of the tuner, you'll have to go into the dealer to install the tune to receive the warranty and it'll be a limited one at that. Read the second to last note on the "Tech Notes" section of this link.

About the springs, I'm down to help you install them. Sadly, all my tools are down in Texas in storage. I know Autozone rents spring compressors. Do you have everyday tools such as socket wrenches, torque wrench to remove wheels/tires, etc? I've never heard of JnJ Motorsports but that's not a bad thing. Just keep me posted on when you want to do the springs. I leave for the Army on January 31st so hopefully we can do the install before then.
I agree... in the end, it's dealer dependent. If a dealer refuses to do the work under warranty, you're screwed. If they do, do it, great!

So anyone else on here HAVE either of these parts installed??? What do you think of them??? Worth it or not???
Old 12/14/11, 03:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree... in the end, it's dealer dependent. If a dealer refuses to do the work under warranty, you're screwed. If they do, do it, great!

So anyone else on here HAVE either of these parts installed??? What do you think of them??? Worth it or not???
I don't have either installed but have thought about both at one point or another. The 1.5" springs are pretty low . . . most do either the FRPP 1" or Steeda Sports 1" fr and 1.25" rear. As for the tune some are running it here but most go for a big name tuner vs. the FRPP tune.

End of the day, it's your ride so do what makes you happy!!
Old 12/14/11, 10:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have both of these on my 2011, the ride is great and the alignment was very close but I added the adjustable pannard bar and when I had it aligned they said it was only 1/2 inch off in the rear.

The tuner in nice, skip shift all gone and the it drives great, 91 octane tune but its worth it! The tune does not void your warrantee...
Attached Thumbnails Ford Racing Springs and Procal Tuner questions-p1020722.jpg  

Last edited by jacostang; 12/14/11 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12/15/11, 09:03 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 99mstng
I don't have either installed but have thought about both at one point or another. The 1.5" springs are pretty low . . . most do either the FRPP 1" or Steeda Sports 1" fr and 1.25" rear. As for the tune some are running it here but most go for a big name tuner vs. the FRPP tune.

End of the day, it's your ride so do what makes you happy!!
Yeah, what makes me happy is keeping my warranty. so for now, I have no choice but to stick with FRPP. I will speak to my dealer, and get it in writing, that warranty work is covered as long as I use FRPP products (exactly their words).

So you think 1.5 is too low? I like Jacostangs's ride below, if indeed it is 1.5". I need to find other folks with 1.0" FRPPs..Anyone have any pics???

Originally Posted by jacostang
I have both of these on my 2011, the ride is great and the alignment was very close but I added the adjustable pannard bar and when I had it aligned they said it was only 1/2 inch off in the rear.

The tuner in nice, skip shift all gone and the it drives great, 91 octane tune but its worth it! The tune does not void your warrantee...
Jacostang, that looks GREAT! So you have exactly the 1.5"ers and the Procal Tune? If so, your springs look great! How is the ride comfort? Too harsh? And are you still OEM/original for struts/dampers, etc?

As far as the Procal, that was my one big question... I want the 91 tune... no 93 gas stations here. So does the tuner come with the 91 tune load? It's available and I don't need to buy a separate one?I know my dealer said they still have to hook it up to their system, and install it for me....
Old 12/15/11, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think 1.5" is too low but some will argue it is. I am actually thinking of doing either the sportlines which is 1.3 front 2.0 rear or steeda ultralite 1.25 front 1.5 rear. I've got FRPP springs on my 99 and they ride good I just want to level the car out a bit . . .
Old 12/15/11, 08:10 PM

The ride is fine, just have to watch the curbs now, no more front in parking and I love the way it hugs the corners now! The K springs are the way to go!
Old 12/15/11, 08:23 PM
I Have No Life

The ride is fine, just have to watch the curbs now, no more front in parking and I love the way it hugs the corners now! The K springs are the way to go!
so Jaco, are you on oem struts, mounts, and dampers? And does the pro cal come with a 91 tuner or do you have to buy that separately?
Old 12/15/11, 09:46 PM

Nope, have the stock struts and shock, the car only has 2500 miles on it and since its so new really didnt have change them because I'm really not racing it. The 91 Octane is required with this tune. I really love it when a Camaro tries to play with me, I embarrassed one on the onramp the other morning....
Old 12/15/11, 09:52 PM
I Have No Life

Nope, have the stock struts and shock, the car only has 2500 miles on it and since its so new really didnt have change them because I'm really not racing it. The 91 Octane is required with this tune. I really love it when a Camaro tries to play with me, I embarrassed one on the onramp the other morning....
So I take it u recommend the tuner then? Dealer quoted me 170 for install. So plus cost of tuner, against HP/tq increase. Is it still worth it???
Old 12/15/11, 10:31 PM

Oh man you can do the tuner install, its plug and play.. When you order the procal you give them your vin number and its set for your car.. Follow the directions and its a snap! Save yourself $$$$. Yes I love the tune, its not crazy aggressive but its the way the car should be from the factory.
Old 12/16/11, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Have the Pro Cal tune and love it. Car pulls harder throughout, especially down low. Throttle response is much better. Drove the car without the tune the first 4 months while they waited on CARB approval to release the tune for the 12's.

Regarding skip shift, was never an issue for me. In the 4 months I drove the car w/o the tune, it only hit me once...first drive the morning after I got the car.

I included the Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pkg as an accessory when I ordered the car. This is the Pro Cal tune + the GT500 mufflers, which btw to me are awesome as well...not high school loud, but a real nice deeper, mellow, throaty...and fairly aggressive on hard acceleration. Just perfect, to me. Attention getting in a good way (dam, that sounds good) without being annoying or Cop attracting.

I believe you have to have the dealer load the tune in order for the Ford Racing 3/36 to apply. The 3/36 may start counting down when car is delivered...so if you've already had the car a year and put 12K miles on it, you get the Ford Racing warranty for 2/24...not sure. They did change the warranty wording for the better not long ago, so I'd suggest you print all the warranty info off the website and highlight, then take that to your serv mgr and go over it with him.

The way I understand it, your Ford Motor Co. 5/60 Power train warranty is not voided. For the first 3/36, any power train issues will be covered by Ford Racing.

For the remainder of your normal 5/60, you may be in jeopardy though. If a warranty claim is attemped after the Ford Racing warranty expires, and the dealership/factory rep deems that the tune is responsible, then you'll likely pick up the tab.

My serv mgr told me though that since the Pro Cal tune relatively mild (as compared to some of the other after market tunes) he doesn't feel that's very likely (that the tune would be deemed the cause). I also think your dealer and your relationship with them may factor in to this. If you're a dik...

I didn't want to wait 5 years or 60k miles before improving this cars performance, and am more than comfortable with what I've described above and would highly recommend the Pro Cal.

My next accel improving mods will be 20# wheels and 17# carbon fiber drive shaft, which shaves ~ 70# of rotating mass.

Last edited by dafreeze; 12/16/11 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12/17/11, 10:31 AM
I Have No Life

Oh man you can do the tuner install, its plug and play.. When you order the procal you give them your vin number and its set for your car.. Follow the directions and its a snap! Save yourself $$$$. Yes I love the tune, its not crazy aggressive but its the way the car should be from the factory.
Jaco, don't you have to have the dealer install it, esp with warranty issues? My dealer stated that they needed to "access ford's computer"... I'm like wtf does that mean. I bet he just means get access to the 91 tune. But doesn't it already come with it?

When you say give them your VIN # when ordering the tuner, give it to who? Because I might order it from say, American Muscle... I have to give them my VIN????

Quick Reply: Ford Racing Springs and Procal Tuner questions