2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Ford and Burnouts...

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/08, 01:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford and Burnouts...

I have always wondered but never asked, everywhere you see a mustang commercial or at they are always doing a smokey burnout, even when they unveiled the 2010 the guy from ford said "i cant wait to see a picture of your first burnout" we all do burnouts here and there im sure... for christ sakes its a mustang anyway!... i was just wondering why if you tell your dealer you have been doing burnouts your warranty is screwed when ford clearly promotes burnouts!

Last edited by fdjizm; 12/11/08 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12/11/08, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not all Ford dealers. I had my 4.10 gears installed at my dealership. They give 3 year warrenty on any parts and labor they install. When I picked it up it was made clear to me to go tear it up and if anything breaks, I'm covered. Hence, that's why I payed more to have my dealer do install. They sponsor our SVTOA Club and are great to us.

I do have a question on power brake burnouts though. In this new car (08), I get teribble wheel hop when doing a burnout and have to let up. What's up with that? Did not have that issue with my 96 Cobra or my 2000 Lightning. It sucks.
Old 12/11/08, 01:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL! My Mom did a Burnout in the Hillsborough County Jail Parking Lot the first time she test drove a 2005 Mustang GT, after doing Doughnuts in their parking lot to check it's turning radius.
Old 12/11/08, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

You need to use a DIFFERENT dealer...

Sounds like you need to use a DIFFERENT dealer. Two Ford dealers in my area have closed their doors this past week around here, I would think they would take any work they could get...

If it is under warranty and fails, my dealer fixes it under warranty. No questions asked. They even replaced one of my GT500 seat covers for a small blemish.

As to the burnouts. I have done way more than my share of burnouts, and payed for way more tires than the average driver, and replaced way more rear ends, transmissions, u-joints and clutches than the average driver too... Been there done that, I don't have any need to do big smokey burnouts in my current Mustangs...

Originally Posted by fdjizm
I have always wondered but never asked, everywhere you see a mustang commercial or at they are always doing a smokey burnout, even when they unveiled the 2010 the guy from ford said "i cant wait to see a picture of your first burnout" we all do burnouts here and there im sure... for christ sakes its a mustang anyway!... i was just wondering why if you tell your dealer you have been doing burnouts your warranty is screwed when ford clearly promotes burnouts!
Old 12/11/08, 07:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Wait, are you saying my Awesome can't handle the occasional smokey burnout or spirited redline in first and second gear entry onto the freeway?

Surely not.
Old 12/11/08, 10:37 PM
Cobra R Member

i dont do it to much i have done maybe 5 serious burnouts in my 9 months of ownership... the car is definitely able to handle burnouts its just weird how much ford pushes the smokey burnout images even in promo vids posters and all... i guess it's not all dealers, i wouldnt be stupid enough to tell the dealer i have been doing burnouts but my cousin actually did and they gave him a headache about the warranty... i wish i was there to point at the poster of the mustang doing a smokey one right there behind the guys desk... just reminds me of how nissan pushes the gtr speed and power but if you turn off the traction control you void your warranty lmao
Old 12/12/08, 04:17 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

I did one leaving the dealerships lot
Old 12/12/08, 04:56 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ARBO
I do have a question on power brake burnouts though. In this new car (08), I get teribble wheel hop when doing a burnout and have to let up. What's up with that? Did not have that issue with my 96 Cobra or my 2000 Lightning. It sucks.
The wheel hop is due to the soft rubber Ford used in its upper/lower control arms (UCA/LCA's). They chose rubber to absorb NVH for a smooth and quiet ride (as if it were not a muscle car or something...lol).Control arms with some stiffer bushings are a must in these cars. I did lowers on mine a month after I bought it. Cured about 95% of the wheel hop. My car had it pretty bad, hard launching was terrible. My whole dash would vibrate. Now it hooks up or spins smoothly. So yea, invest in some control arms, it will help!

As for Ford advertising burnouts, I always enjoyed them. When they come on TV, I make everyone shut up and watch...lol. I have heard of a few dealerships that whine about abuse, but only a handful (my experience). Seems like it happens when they are busy and/or low on techs. When I took my 07 For a test drive I power shifted and did a few 3k launches with some wheel spin. The sales man loved it!

Last edited by TonyN; 12/12/08 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12/12/08, 09:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Yeah, when my Mom did the burnout from the Jail Parking Lot on that test drive, the Sales Guy was actually Cheering Her On, it was hysterical. I'm not sure how high she got the RPM's but I know she laid a pretty good amount of rubber, and barked em' in second.

It wasn't a Power Break Burnout mind you, but especially after just doing doughnuts in the parking lot of the County Jail, to do a Burnout of any kind leaving, as the Sales Guy told her, took some B@lls! He Loved It.

It was almost as good as when My Dad Test Drove an 87 GT. He didn't bother to wait to get off the lot. He laid rubber out of the dealers drive way and barked em' in second and third. I thought that salesman was gonna Sh** Himself.

What can I say? I got some Cool Parents.

Here's some pic's of Mom and Dad, and Me from the Ford Innovation Drive Aug. 31, 04.

Dad and Mom, in the Redfire GT they had there.

Mom behind the wheel.

Can you get a better smile? I think she liked it. Don't know the guy in the passenger seat.

And lastly, Me behind the wheel.

Attached Thumbnails Ford and Burnouts...-aug312004-001.jpg   Ford and Burnouts...-aug312004-007.jpg   Ford and Burnouts...-aug312004-062.jpg   Ford and Burnouts...-aug312004-080.jpg  

Last edited by TampaBear67; 12/12/08 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12/12/08, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Nice pics, and cool parents Thanks for sharing Shawn, it is nice to put a face with the name.
Old 12/12/08, 11:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by rrobello
I did one leaving the dealerships lot
ha! me too, even gave them a heads up before I did. my service guy said it looked so smooth, like my car was on ice and next time do a bigger one lol!
Old 12/12/08, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Shawn's dad looks like R. Lee Ermey. Awesome.
Old 12/12/08, 05:30 PM
Cobra R Member

He reminds me more of Walter Matthau.

Old 12/12/08, 06:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at the pic of the ground this car for sale on. The back tires are black and clean and the front tires have dust on them. What would you think? It's still a great car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1308
Attached Images