2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Fog lights as daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/14, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog lights as daytime running lights

Unfortunately this forum was my last resort to finding out the answer to my question...Too many people on here ripping people for asking general questions

I drive a 2010 GT I have seen a few '10-'14s driving around with their fog lights on as their daytime running lights...how do I do the same on my 2010 GT is it computer related is it changing wires over? Is there something I buy to do it...can it even be done?

Any comments will help

Thank you
Old 3/18/14, 10:23 AM

In most ford turn style ***** like ours, you can turn just your running lights on and then pull them out for the fog lights. I'm assuming that it doesn't work that way for you?
Old 3/18/14, 10:36 AM

I suppose people can do that. I didn't think the mustangs were configured with daytime running lights. There's headlights, fog lights and parking lights. One could run around with the parking light/fog light getup if one was so inclined. My '14 has auto lights so I never pay attention to my lights much, and I only use the fog lights... wait for it... when it's foggy out. When I get my car back I'll check and see if lights come on during the day when it's set to auto.
Old 3/18/14, 10:45 AM

Ageless1 I live in Canada it's mandatory to have Daytime running lights on...during the day my outer lights are on and fog off..my lights are usually set to auto so once it gets dark the dogs come on too...because I have the **** pulled out to turn fogs on

But I have seen a lot of mustangs banging around with their fogs taking the place of the running lights...and the outer regular lights are off...not sure if it's a year specific or it was something that they did themselves
Old 3/18/14, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the way the fogs work now is that the fog button on your headlight **** sends a ground signal to the SJB when the button is pulled AND the headlights are on. I have seen people with '05 to '09s jump a couple of wires in the main fuse panel under the hood to bypass that. not sure it is the safest way to do that, though.

I don't know about a trick to doing it, but I know how I am going to do it when I install my 13 headlights in the spring.

I'm simply going to run a power wire directly from battery to fogs (fused of course) and use a relay, which will be triggered by a positive signal from one of the fuses in the engine bay (on with ignition) via a tap a fuse connector. haven't decided if I want to run a negative trigger switch back inside to the cabin in case I want the option of shutting them off or not without having to go under the hood.
Old 3/18/14, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by bones302
the way the fogs work now is that the fog button on your headlight **** sends a ground signal to the SJB when the button is pulled AND the headlights are on. I have seen people with '05 to '09s jump a couple of wires in the main fuse panel under the hood to bypass that. not sure it is the safest way to do that, though. I don't know about a trick to doing it, but I know how I am going to do it when I install my 13 headlights in the spring. I'm simply going to run a power wire directly from battery to fogs (fused of course) and use a relay, which will be triggered by a positive signal from one of the fuses in the engine bay (on with ignition) via a tap a fuse connector. haven't decided if I want to run a negative trigger switch back inside to the cabin in case I want the option of shutting them off or not without having to go under the hood.
Thanks a lot....what I'm ultimately trying to do is fogs as daytime then when it gets dark the outside lights on the front come on as if they were the "fog lights" just do it backwards then what I'm doing now

Thanks
Old 3/18/14, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I frequently turn my park lights on while driving. For appearance purposes only. On my 14 with the fog ligt switch pulled this turns on fogs and markers but not headlamps. Not sure if your 10 is the same... But I hope this helps.
Old 3/18/14, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by kevinsworld3
Ageless1 I live in Canada it's mandatory to have Daytime running lights on...during the day my outer lights are on and fog off..my lights are usually set to auto so once it gets dark the dogs come on too...because I have the **** pulled out to turn fogs on But I have seen a lot of mustangs banging around with their fogs taking the place of the running lights...and the outer regular lights are off...not sure if it's a year specific or it was something that they did themselves
I see. Check out Diode Dynamics. they make a variety of aftermarket day time running light kits that can be wired to your ignition or a switch or various other sources.
Old 3/18/14, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ageless1
I see. Check out Diode Dynamics. they make a variety of aftermarket day time running light kits that can be wired to your ignition or a switch or various other sources.
Thank you I'll check it out
Old 3/18/14, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinsworld3
Ageless1 I live in Canada it's mandatory to have Daytime running lights on...during the day my outer lights are on and fog off..my lights are usually set to auto so once it gets dark the dogs come on too...because I have the **** pulled out to turn fogs on

But I have seen a lot of mustangs banging around with their fogs taking the place of the running lights...and the outer regular lights are off...not sure if it's a year specific or it was something that they did themselves
What I think you're saying is that you're seeing the center two lights on instead of the headlights.

This is simply done by pulling the light switch out (like normal to turn on fogs) and switch to parking lights, NOT driving lights.
This will turn on both parking lights and fog lights without turning on the headlights.

Now if people are driving around with just fogs on and NO parking lights... then beats me.
Old 3/18/14, 12:42 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13-14 come with DRL's, the two little lines of white LED's across the parking lights/turn signals are always on when the key is on and the e-brake is off.
Old 3/18/14, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in canada. I have a 14 GT and a few times during the day, id see my fog lights on, as well as the two light bars in my headlights in the reflection of the car ahead of me or when pulling into a store front parking lot with a glass window.

They shut off as soon as the park brake is applied, and my switch it set to automatic headlamps. I assume the fogs act as a DRL? I'm about to hit the road on a 4.5 hour trip so I'll check right now and see if they work.

Side note, on the way up here (450 Kms) I got 8.5L per 100 Kms. So that's like 27.67 MPG.
I was in 6th gear the whole way, doing 110 +\- 5 km/h.
Old 3/18/14, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Krohn
What I think you're saying is that you're seeing the center two lights on instead of the headlights. This is simply done by pulling the light switch out (like normal to turn on fogs) and switch to parking lights, NOT driving lights. This will turn on both parking lights and fog lights without turning on the headlights. Now if people are driving around with just fogs on and NO parking lights... then beats me.
If it works out the way you writing it out to me then seems like an almost easy move... Hopefully this works and I'll try this out thanks so much
Old 3/18/14, 12:59 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Fogs are the DRL's in cars that have HIDs
It's been this way since 07 or 08 here whenever the option for HIDs was available.

There was a slight issue back in 2013 when the Canadian GTs came with the V6 like (fogless grille) and fogs in the lower bumper.
HID headlamps were standard and because the fogs had changed over to an LED (consider by MTO as HID) could not be used as a DRL.

Someone got their paperwork in order or what have you, and as of 2014 we have fogs back in the grille.

You'd have to look at how the HIDs are setup/wired or programmed.
DRL might be a dealer configured option as it may be controlled in the system.

Last edited by Boomer; 3/18/14 at 01:04 PM.
Old 9/16/15, 03:16 PM

Good afternoon to all,
i found this topic because i searched for a solution for my fog light - problem. Some of you seem to have this problem in the other direction?
I 've got a 2013 GT(automatic transmission) and its fog lights are on at the same time as the DRL's(LED-stripes in the head lights case) in spite of the light switch is in off position. I would like them to unprocess while day time driving. I have no idea how to make this...
The fog lights only go to off when i switch the headlights on. Then i can pull the fog switch and the fog lights work in normally function. If i switch into parking light position the fog lights automatically switch on(I think this should work as an additionally DRL function of the fog lights?) But i don't want this.
If i put the transmission into parking position then the DRL-LED stripes and the fog lights go off.
Is this normally at Mustang GT 2013?

Thank you in advance for some answers.
Best regards
Andreas / Germany / Saxony