Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Floor Jack and Jack Stands...

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/11, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floor Jack and Jack Stands...

I'm stumped... I have been looking, to no avail, for a quality floor jack and stands to throw my ride up and get the short throw shifter installed. Any recommendations?
Old 11/10/11, 05:42 PM

Haven't put the 'Stang up on them yet, but I have a Torin 2.5-ton floor jack and a set of 3-ton jack stands with a creeper that I picked up for around $100 a while back. They worked great on my Mountaineer and F150, so I don't expect any problems with the Mustang.
Old 11/10/11, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always used my race ramps for shifter swaps and other things. A bit pricey but worth it, IMO. Plenty of room underneath...

http://www.raceramps.com/2-piece-67-...ace-ramps.aspx
Old 11/10/11, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by jwgroovin
I've always used my race ramps for shifter swaps and other things. A bit pricey but worth it, IMO. Plenty of room underneath...

I have a floor jack and jack stands I got from Sears for a pretty decent price but those exact race ramps will be in my garage pretty soon.

After lowering my car I can't get my floor jack under the sides, I have to ride up on 2x4's before I can.
Old 11/10/11, 06:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by jwgroovin

I second that.....
Race ramps are worth every penny, i love mine. I also use a Michelin 3 ton floor jack and matching heavy duty jackstands.
Old 11/10/11, 07:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rhino Ramps work well too and are cheap.
Old 11/10/11, 09:40 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
Rhino Ramps are cheap.
I fixed that for you. Just messing with you. I'm sure the Rhino ramps work fine but I've got my eye set on some Race Ramps like those posted. I've seen them in action a couple of times. They look to be high quality pieces but are expensive.
Old 11/10/11, 09:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I fixed that for you. Just messing with you. I'm sure the Rhino ramps work fine but I've got my eye set on some Race Ramps like those posted. I've seen them in action a couple of times. They look to be high quality pieces but are expensive.
I have the race ramps. They are great. Very light but solid. I have the 2 piece set. I always set my keys under the removable part so I dont forget and back off without them together
Old 11/11/11, 12:32 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a set of Rhino Ramps from Autozone. $40 and they work great. Downside - can't get the front on them after the Boss splitter and springs were put on. I'll be going with a set of Race Ramps in the near future. Looking around, I don't think I've ever seen a complaint about them, other than price.
Old 11/11/11, 07:14 AM
GT Member

I bought the 56" two-piece Race Ramps and 8" high cribs for my MX-5 and they are easily worth every penny but they are only 12" wide. I should have sprung for the 67" set because they are 14" wide and would be a better choice for Mustangs.
Old 11/11/11, 08:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
I've got a set of Rhino Ramps from Autozone. $40 and they work great. Downside - can't get the front on them after the Boss splitter and springs were put on.
Mine is the same way with the Roush splitter. I usually back onto them and then jack stands under the front. However after my lowering springs I had to buy a low profile floor jack.
Old 11/11/11, 11:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought a Low Profile jack from Harbor Freight (67022) back in 2009 and it made jacking up my 2004 much easier. This jack "just" fits under my 2011 and it is a stock ride height V6.

However this jack IS NOT low enough to sneak under anywhere "forward" of the front tires, but just barely fits under behind the tires as shown in the pics below and allows me to get to the center part of the engine cradle so I can lift the whole front end at once.

As far as "ramps", I bought a set of Darvic Magnum 2 pc. ramps a few weeks ago. I had been dreaming about getting a set of 2 pc. Race Ramps when I stumbled upon these on sale at Menards for $30/pair so I figured why not try them out ...
http://www.davric.net/My_Homepage_Fi...-8_English.pdf
... however the ramp was too steep / needed to be about 3" longer for them to work on the front of my 2011. Plus, the maximum tire width capacity is 7.25" and my 235's are 8.25" so they would have been a no-go anyway so I returned them.

As the Rhino Ramps are similarly priced (cheap), I'd have guessed they would not work with a 2010-up Mustang either. Most reviews of the Rhino Ramps have been poor especially for use under the front of a RRW car so I'll not even bother trying them.

Back to using my HF L-P jack until I fall into some extra cash !!

Doug
Attached Thumbnails Floor Jack and Jack Stands...-harbor-freight-67022-jack.jpg   Floor Jack and Jack Stands...-hf-jack-place-1.jpg   Floor Jack and Jack Stands...-hf-jack-place-2.jpg   Floor Jack and Jack Stands...-hf-jack-place-3.jpg  

Last edited by orange3.9stang; 11/11/11 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11/11/11, 11:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I've got the Rhino Ramps too and not enough room in my garage to have something as big as the race ramps. My single car garage floor has probably a 1.5" drop down to the driveway as you exit, so I pull in with the front wheels in the garage but the rear still in the driveway - that slight angle change makes it possible to drive up on the Rhino Ramps without scraping the front of the car. It's pretty darn close still but it works. Not ideal since half the car is hanging out of the garage door but better than nothing for now!
Old 11/11/11, 09:26 PM

For those considering Race Ramps they are currently offering a $25 rebate if you buy a set before 12/31.
Old 11/11/11, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by yellowrubiu
For those considering Race Ramps they are currently offering a $25 rebate if you buy a set before 12/31.
Nice but the 67" ramps aren't included.

http://www.raceramps.com/25-car-ramps-rebate.aspx
Old 11/12/11, 06:17 AM
GT Member

Sure they are - RR-XT and RR-XT-2 are both listed as eligible for the rebate.
Old 11/12/11, 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I don't tend to carry my ramps around with me or walk around the house with them. So weight isn't really a concern. I built my own ramps out of quality wood. Once I get the car up on those, it's a simple process to use any type of Jack. Having said that though, I do own a quality, low profile jack that will easily get under my car. Even with all the mods I've done.

I wouldn't trust my life to a jack from Harbor Freight. Not ******* on anyone who does, but I've had too many of their tools fail on me in the past and will not buy anything from them that is safety oriented like this. Lowe's used to sell a very decent low profile, 3-ton jack. It's a Torin Black Jack. Mine didn't come with the jackstands as seen in that link, but the jack is the same. Excellent jack too!
Old 11/12/11, 08:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree about Harbor Freight tools but I don't need to trust this H-F jack (or any other for that matter) as I always put jack stands under before crawling under. There is always that chance this (or any other) jack could fail before getting the stands in place so you've just got to be extra carefull until the car is safely on the stands. I've had older jacks fail, but it has always been that they slowly loose the ability to lift (pressure piston) ... never had the load holding check or the release needle valve fail. However this does not mean that these components can't fail, so I do take the extra precautions.

That Torin does look like a nice jack though.

Doug
Old 11/12/11, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by JJZ109
Sure they are - RR-XT and RR-XT-2 are both listed as eligible for the rebate.
My bad, the 67" ramps are included. With Amazon pricing and the rebate they are almost affordable.
Old 11/12/11, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

**** the race ramps are insane pricing....ramps should not be that expensive.

Quick Reply: Floor Jack and Jack Stands...