2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

First Impressions of my new GT

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/11, 12:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmbbo

Ten years of driving the Prelude allowed me to "learn from my mistakes" in driving the car thru the bends... There is a tight crowned corner on the drive home that I nailed every night at 45 mph in the Honda, but I unexpectedly lost the rear end of the Mustang pushing 40 going into the turn... easy to correct, but unexpected.

The Prelude's independent rear suspension likely made better contact with the crowned surface, and the 'stang requires a different technique... Every car I've had since 1979 has been IRS, so there is more to recall/learn about how to drive with a "live axle" rear end... That corner has laid down the challenge...
Try a watts link?
Old 4/25/11, 11:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
Try a watts link?
Thanks for the tip...

Never heard of it, but after a little online research, could be a winner
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ial_cover.html

Article indicated smoother ride and better handling? Yes? (In other words, watt's the difference? [sorry, couldn't resist])

Unfamiliar with Ford and their testiness with aftermarket mods.. Any warranty issues?

Last edited by jimmbbo; 4/25/11 at 11:43 AM.
Old 4/25/11, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the tip...

Never heard of it, but after a little online research, could be a winner

Any effect on the ride? (In other words, watt's the difference? [sorry, couldn't resist])
You might get a little more road noise, I say might cause I don't have personal experience with one yet. From what I've read most people claim no real added noise. Basically the Watts link keeps the axle moving in only an up and down motion. With a panhard bar it moves more in an arc, most people notice this with lowering a car and the rear axle kicking out to the side.
Old 4/25/11, 11:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FCMalie
You might get a little more road noise, I say might cause I don't have personal experience with one yet. From what I've read most people claim no real added noise. Basically the Watts link keeps the axle moving in only an up and down motion. With a panhard bar it moves more in an arc, most people notice this with lowering a car and the rear axle kicking out to the side.
Cool.. I recall seeing that attachment arrangement and wondering about the effect of the arc the axle would move in.. didn't seem like a symmetrical solution to me.

Next question is which brand is best?

Last edited by jimmbbo; 4/25/11 at 11:53 AM.
Old 4/25/11, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Cool.. I recall seeing that attachment arrangement and wondering about the effect of the arc the axle would move in.. didn't seem like a symmetrical solution to me.

Next question is which brand is best?
Really depends on what you are looking for and willing to spend, I think Steeda and Fays2 are the bigger names for the watts link.

Fays2
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=35&PartID=307

Steeda:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...210&ModelID=35

Personally I'm going with the Fays2, I've heard no real complaints about NVH increase and the price is right for me. Nothing against Steeda as they are getting my business on a lot of other parts.
Old 4/25/11, 12:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac

You're retarded because you don't even have a Mustang yet you still post.

It's like you, I'm assuming a male (lol), going up to your mother and telling her she doesn't know what it feels like to give birth.
Is it notchy?
Old 4/25/11, 12:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Vito
Is it notchy?

His mother or giving birth??? Just want to clarify the question. One option may call for an apology.
Old 4/25/11, 12:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by eric n

His mother or giving birth??? Just want to clarify the question. One option may call for an apology.
I was thinking giving birth, and I'm not about to **** out a tennis ball
Old 4/26/11, 06:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Ten years of driving the Prelude allowed me to "learn from my mistakes" in driving the car thru the bends... There is a tight crowned corner on the drive home that I nailed every night at 45 mph in the Honda, but I unexpectedly lost the rear end of the Mustang pushing 40 going into the turn... easy to correct, but unexpected.

The Prelude's independent rear suspension likely made better contact with the crowned surface, and the 'stang requires a different technique... Every car I've had since 1979 has been IRS, so there is more to recall/learn about how to drive with a "live axle" rear end... That corner has laid down the challenge...
You are not going to kick out the rear end due to a solid rear axel. You might hit a bump in the corner and feel a little unsettled but thats it. With the description you gave it sounded like the rear started to come around on you. Thats more likely the result of being on the gas to early or all the way through the curve in a high torque gear like 2nd. You can take a corner with power in a FWD 135 hp car, not so good of an idea in the mustang.
Old 4/26/11, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Timberok
I ground 2nd to 3rd once (didnt quite get it all the way in gear and well, a "missed shift" ) and decided to get an aftermarket shifter. Car now is "notchy" <good thing, each shift is solidly engaged, positive and what I expect from a muscle car.

Some... Some of these tranny / shifting comments hinge on lunacy,.. It's a muscle car, straight out of the factory with 12 sec 1/4 mile times, a little money and work and your sub 12, a little more of each and sub 11's are there... "it doesn't shift as smooth as a Lexus" gimme a break. It's like buying an f250 super duty that can pull a bulldozer and then complaining that it drives and rides too much like a truck.
This.
Old 4/27/11, 12:08 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by falhulk
You are not going to kick out the rear end due to a solid rear axel. You might hit a bump in the corner and feel a little unsettled but thats it. With the description you gave it sounded like the rear started to come around on you. Thats more likely the result of being on the gas to early or all the way through the curve in a high torque gear like 2nd. You can take a corner with power in a FWD 135 hp car, not so good of an idea in the mustang.
Think so.. after driving 1500 miles this weekend, got the feel of when the car is in the groove, and when it is starting to get loose... still working on the gear/throttle thing.