2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

First Impressions of my new GT

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/11, 04:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good honest review.
I was a used car sales manager for many years and it didn't take me long to figure out that there were no vehicles that I didn't find fault with. Whether it be that I had a personal issue with how something looked, drove or performed or if it was just dead obvious the manufacturer missed the mark. With that being said I think the quicker you evaluate the mustang for what it is the more some of the small things will fall by the wayside. The shifting for example will never be like an acura, or a honda but then again the acura or the honda will never sound or accelerate like the stang either.

I think that the closest I could ever come to making the perfect car would be something with the gas mileage of an elantra, the accelleration of a zo6, the handling of a porsche 911, and the mirrors of a buick rendezvous.
Old 4/22/11, 05:40 PM
Bullitt Member

[quote=Double-EDad;6057507]
I take care of my cars, but after it's all said and done this thing is just a conveyance - an extremely fun and sensory-intensive way to get from A to B. And it looks great! But once you let yourself be defined by a car, i.e. let it become part of your ego (as I did in my youth), then I think you begin to think irrationally about the car and lose perspective about its imperfections. Life's too short to get too attached to a car, and these things are not perfect on their best day.

Sorry about the soapbox, I was just trying to say that I respected your candid review.

Wait you mean that happens on here? Like looking down on someone because they got a 2010 not an '11 ( no way an '10 could be a fun car to drive) hating on someone for having to buy an automatic (because of physical condition), disregarding anothers guys ride(for not having Brembo brakes) or cannonizing a new model and whinning because you lack patients and felt wronged because your car has not come in yet.

I love this forum, I love the tech talk, sharing of ideas and performance stats. Be a car fan, be a mustang owner but remember there comes a time when people need to be big boys and girls rembember to have a compassion and humanity in dealing with others,

Sorry for my soapbox, maybe turning 40 and losing two family members this year, with less that a month between, has made me realize there are things more important and that if you can't say something helpful or nice to someone maybe you are best suited to not say anything at all. I know I am not perfect and have not always practiced what I am preaching but I do try to remember to think first before I say something.

Just my thoughts...
Old 4/22/11, 06:51 PM
GT Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply... moreso if your response was constructive

I plunked down a hard earned $35+k for a car that I knew a lot about going in because of all of your helpful contributions on this forum... I wanted to "give back" and share my honest observations as I saw them, which was not openly received by some... oh well..

The bottom line is that I chose to buy the car having driven it and spent enough time to know the vehicle I was getting - and I accepted that the scale is tipped towards performance, not "fit and feel"... My comments were not bi*ching, simply observing for the edification of folks "in the process"...

As far as the effort/hp/apples/oranges, etc, discussion, I have driven my share of high HP Corvettes on drag strips and tracks, all of which had linkages superior and shift forces more predictable compared to what Ford chose to put on the 'stang. Since the laws of physics haven't changed in 30 years, I have a bit of trouble swallowing the "it's too tough to make it" argument.. In my experience, the only shifter worse than the 'stang was ANY original VW Bug, where you sort of mashed the stick around until you found a gear that might be correct and released the clutch to find out if you were right....

It appears that part of the shifting "issue" with the 6MT is a matter of Ford choosing a low cost option for the shifter, combined with marginal (nonexistent?) quality control... Take one look at any upscale linkage and compare it to the Ford counterpart... IMO they chose to cut cost in the wrong area... Back in the day, Hurst got into the business of supplying shifters to manufacturers... With all the excellent choices today, it would have been a good thing for Ford to have made one of them an "option" to make it profitable, and likely would have them flying out the doors...

In any event, I am enjoying the car, and as it becomes "mine", my satisfaction rises....

Thanks again!

Last edited by jimmbbo; 4/22/11 at 07:03 PM.
Old 4/22/11, 06:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good response. Sounds well informed, which I never thought of. I hope you can upgrade your car to fit you better.
Old 4/22/11, 07:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by going for broke
Good honest review.
I was a used car sales manager for many years and it didn't take me long to figure out that there were no vehicles that I didn't find fault with. Whether it be that I had a personal issue with how something looked, drove or performed or if it was just dead obvious the manufacturer missed the mark. With that being said I think the quicker you evaluate the mustang for what it is the more some of the small things will fall by the wayside. The shifting for example will never be like an acura, or a honda but then again the acura or the honda will never sound or accelerate like the stang either.

I think that the closest I could ever come to making the perfect car would be something with the gas mileage of an elantra, the accelleration of a zo6, the handling of a porsche 911, and the mirrors of a buick rendezvous.
Thanks, and BINGO... Every car is a compromise, and our task as informed consumers is to figure out "what is worth how much to me" in the final choice. Problem A may be a show stopper for me, but fine for you.... Ain't it cool?
Old 4/22/11, 07:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Sterling Gray is the fastest color! Enjoy your new ride.

Hoo yah!! Got a look at the car in a store window as I was driving thru Barstow today... Moved the Cool O Meter up 10 points...
Old 4/22/11, 07:16 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmbbo

It appears that part of the shifting "issue" with the 6MT is a matter of Ford choosing a low cost option for the shifter, combined with marginal (nonexistent?) quality control... Take one look at any upscale linkage and compare it to the Ford counterpart... IMO they chose to cut cost in the wrong area... Back in the day, Hurst got into the business of supplying shifters to manufacturers... With all the excellent choices today, it would have been a good thing for Ford to have made one of them an "option" to make it profitable, and likely would have them flying out the doors...

Thanks again!
I agree, a Hurst short throw shifter is an option in the Camaro. $380. Don't see why Ford wouldn't do the same.
Old 4/23/11, 04:37 AM

I ground 2nd to 3rd once (didnt quite get it all the way in gear and well, a "missed shift" ) and decided to get an aftermarket shifter. Car now is "notchy" <good thing, each shift is solidly engaged, positive and what I expect from a muscle car.

Some... Some of these tranny / shifting comments hinge on lunacy,.. It's a muscle car, straight out of the factory with 12 sec 1/4 mile times, a little money and work and your sub 12, a little more of each and sub 11's are there... "it doesn't shift as smooth as a Lexus" gimme a break. It's like buying an f250 super duty that can pull a bulldozer and then complaining that it drives and rides too much like a truck.
Old 4/23/11, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by lemarin

Of course the Stang is not perfect, but it's nice to drive fast, and to have the feeling to drive fast.....not like a boring Lexus !
Old 4/23/11, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Sterling Gray is the fastest color!
After Kona Blue of course

Enjoy your new ride it's a blast!
Old 4/23/11, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Nice write up! I took my car that's been sitting for most of the horrible NJ winter on a 1200 mile drive down to Florida. I've driven my parent's cars and rentals and my wife's suburban down to Florida. Never any of my babies. This time I decided to do it since I got a clear bra installed I figured why not.

I was impressed, the car ran flawlessly. Only issue was upon arriving at my parents home it had a loud engine tap which went away the next day and was thought to be a lifter tap, due to a stuck lifter. Otherwise perfect! Ive owned a few very refined German cars and must say the mustang may not be as refined but it's not supposed to be. When the car is idling it has that nice rough idle that a muscle car should have. I absolutely love this friggin car!! My next step for this car is the suspension to make it handle like a European road carver.

Last edited by alcarames; 4/23/11 at 10:27 AM.
Old 4/23/11, 01:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rhans
On handling I find it hard to believe a Honda Prelude could handle better, except for maybe an extremely tight road.
Ten years of driving the Prelude allowed me to "learn from my mistakes" in driving the car thru the bends... There is a tight crowned corner on the drive home that I nailed every night at 45 mph in the Honda, but I unexpectedly lost the rear end of the Mustang pushing 40 going into the turn... easy to correct, but unexpected.

The Prelude's independent rear suspension likely made better contact with the crowned surface, and the 'stang requires a different technique... Every car I've had since 1979 has been IRS, so there is more to recall/learn about how to drive with a "live axle" rear end... That corner has laid down the challenge...

Last edited by jimmbbo; 4/23/11 at 02:05 PM.
Old 4/23/11, 02:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shadowstang03gt
please take this car back and get your female cars back.
Thanks for the constructive comment... Will take it under consideration....

Hmm... NO.
Old 4/23/11, 02:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by alcarames
Nice write up! I took my car that's been sitting for most of the horrible NJ winter on a 1200 mile drive down to Florida. I've driven my parent's cars and rentals and my wife's suburban down to Florida. Never any of my babies. This time I decided to do it since I got a clear bra installed I figured why not.

I was impressed, the car ran flawlessly. Only issue was upon arriving at my parents home it had a loud engine tap which went away the next day and was thought to be a lifter tap, due to a stuck lifter. Otherwise perfect! Ive owned a few very refined German cars and must say the mustang may not be as refined but it's not supposed to be. When the car is idling it has that nice rough idle that a muscle car should have. I absolutely love this friggin car!! My next step for this car is the suspension to make it handle like a European road carver.
What suspension package(s) are you looking at?
Old 4/23/11, 02:14 PM
GT Member

Congrats on the car! I too did not like the fogs and put the CS fascia with the v6 dark stainless grill...the perfect combo IMHO.

BTW, the TSB for the fluid change really makes it much better when the trans is still warming up.

Last edited by Timeless; 4/23/11 at 02:15 PM.
Old 4/24/11, 08:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Timeless
Congrats on the car! I too did not like the fogs and put the CS fascia with the v6 dark stainless grill...the perfect combo IMHO.

BTW, the TSB for the fluid change really makes it much better when the trans is still warming up.

Old 4/24/11, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
Ten years of driving the Prelude allowed me to "learn from my mistakes" in driving the car thru the bends... There is a tight crowned corner on the drive home that I nailed every night at 45 mph in the Honda, but I unexpectedly lost the rear end of the Mustang pushing 40 going into the turn... easy to correct, but unexpected.

The Prelude's independent rear suspension likely made better contact with the crowned surface, and the 'stang requires a different technique... Every car I've had since 1979 has been IRS, so there is more to recall/learn about how to drive with a "live axle" rear end... That corner has laid down the challenge...
I dont mean to be mean...you have to learn how to drive a rwd car and then one with power. I have no dubt I could drive the 2011 much faster thru any corner then you could a Prelude. I have owned a lot of cars and the mustang GT premium lacks nothing in fit and finish on a honda, Subaru, Toyota, etc at similar or lower price points! Just my thoughts.

Last edited by falhulk; 4/24/11 at 01:27 PM.
Old 4/24/11, 05:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do those stripes taper or is it an optical illusion?

Agree on the changes... especially with that color.
Old 4/24/11, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Boss splitter would look great on there.
Old 4/25/11, 12:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by falhulk
I dont mean to be mean...you have to learn how to drive a rwd car and then one with power. I have no dubt I could drive the 2011 much faster thru any corner then you could a Prelude. I have owned a lot of cars and the mustang GT premium lacks nothing in fit and finish on a honda, Subaru, Toyota, etc at similar or lower price points! Just my thoughts.
Not so much a learning as relearning... FWIW, I drove bendy roads with a '68 and then a '73 Camaro for a total of eleven years. Both were high HP, solid axles, and 4 MTs... the last such drive was at least 20 years ago... the brain cells retaining the nuances of driving those cars were long ago murdered by Johnnie Walker Black... or was it Jose Cuervo...?

I would expect that an experienced 412 HP GT driver could outrun a 135HP Prelude in the turns... that wasn't the point... The point was that the techniques are different between a FWD 135HP IRS car and a rear drive, solid axle 400 hp car... I clearly need to refresh and review that technique...

As far as the fit and finish, that is a matter of personal opinion, and IMO the Mustang isn't on a par with similarly priced cars, but no one forced me to buy the car..

Cheers!

Quick Reply: First Impressions of my new GT