Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

First Impressions Driving My New 2013 GT

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/12, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Impressions Driving My New 2013 GT

I got my new 2013 GT Prem Race Red car today from Jeff at Yocum Ford in Lansdale, PA. Boy, if you are in the area, I suggest you order a car from him. Excellent service.

1. The first thing I noticed about the car is the sterring. Kind of funky, nothing at all like my 2010 GT. At slow speed not much difference. But at highway speeds it is alot different. There seems to be a lag from when you turn the wheel and when the wheels actually turn. I have not changed it yet from the statndard default setting.

2. Power - the extra 100 horses are amazing! As the tac goes past 3000 rpm it feels like the afterburners kick in, just super. Makes my 2010 4.6 feel like a dog. Like night an day.

3. Blind Spot Mirrors - really, really nice and I can see are a great safety feature. Used them alot on the 150 mile ride home.

4. MT82 - Not 100% use to it yet, I missed 5th to 6th alot and various times hit 3rd instead of 5th. Normal stuff I am sure. I did notice at 6500 rpm a problem shifting until the engine rpms went down and the engine/MT82 made a strange howeling sound.

5. MPG - as already stated in the forum, gas milage off the showroom floor is low. I got about 17.8 combination highway/rual and running at various rpms (high and low) driving it home.

Can't wait for nightfall so I can see what the pony projectors and headlamps look like.

Joe C
Old 8/30/12, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I still have trouble with 5-6 after a couple months and 2500 miles (since I got it; 10K altogether). Have to make a conscious 'pull' to the right to get 6th gear.

I'm a bit disappointed in the the MPG. Best the computer showed me on an extended run at 70-75 mph was 23.4. Combined is hovering around 21. But hey... we didn't buy 'em for fuel economy, did we?
Old 8/30/12, 06:07 PM
V6 Member

i'm getting 14.5 mpg around town. hope it improves. does anyone really use 6th? seems like 85+ is the sweet spot for that gear. i like the steering and your right about the afterburner !
Old 8/30/12, 06:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, that's weird. I have never missed 5th or 6th. Only 3rd. Got it sorted now, I just push straight up for 3rd.
Old 8/30/12, 08:32 PM
V6 Member

Congrats on your new car - I should have my 13 GT in a few weeks
Old 8/30/12, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, congrats
Old 8/30/12, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering feels great to me. I have mine set to Sport.

The power is amazing.

Blind spot mirrors are very nice.

Can't speak for anyone else but I am creaming in my pants over the MT82. Best transmission I have ever used in a car, hands down. Scratching the tires on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts is so easy. Never gives me any trouble at all. Clutch engagement feels perfect. 2,200 miles as of today.

MPG is slowly getting better. I was hovering around 14.7 a few weeks ago but the last few days I'm around 15.3-15.5, mostly 50/50 hwy/city driving.

Make sure to check your oil every 500-1000 miles. Mine was about half a quart low at 1,800. Since you have the Track Package you will need to use 5w50.

Good luck with it, looks great!
Old 8/30/12, 10:42 PM

I too had problems with the 5-6 shift at first. The centering springs seem a little stiffer than the 5 speed in my previous car. I just had to put a little out pressure when pulling back, or it would sometimes slip back into fourth. Side to side the gates are closer than any car I have ever driven (about 40 years of MT cars). I am pretty happy with the transmission and shifter, just took a few days to learn its quirks and feel.

I have my steering set to sport and enjoy it. It seems to give very good feedback, is point and go, and yet this thing tracks down the highway great. About a week after I got it I had to drive through a torrential downpour, with 40 mph side winds. Have to say this car was fantastic. I have the 19" wheels and AW tires, and had little hydro-planing at 70 mph with some standing water on the roads. I didn't need to constantly turn into the wind. I don't know if this is steering or aerodynamics, (or a combination) but it was a welcome surprise.

I get 13-14 mpg around town, and 21.5 mpg at 70 mph on the highway. I have the 3.73 rear. I have logged 1000 miles on the car, and hoping for a little better highway mileage as I get more miles on it.

Enjoy your car - I am having a blast with mine!
Old 8/31/12, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Congrats! Im at around 14.6 mpg. Have you played with the steering settings yet?
Old 8/31/12, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BackinBlack13
Congrats! Im at around 14.6 mpg. Have you played with the steering settings yet?
Thanks everyone.

Just today I switched to SPORT mode but I have not had the time to take it on the highway to see if it makes any difference.

Another thing I think I notice are the brakes. They seem to be working somewhat better than my old GT. Not sure if it is just because they are new or the old ones were worn but the 2013 brakes seem to be stopping better. I don't think they made any changes to the brakes from 2010 - 2013, right?

Joe C
Old 9/1/12, 10:30 PM
Cobra Member

I'm quite sure you're going to enjoy the heck out of you're new hot rod. Great color choice... the great challenge is to keep gas the tank and tread on the tires.
Old 9/1/12, 11:05 PM
Banned

After having my OWN '13 Grabber Premium GT Vert I'd like to also say a word based on what you stated. I'd had my car 10 days now....

Originally Posted by jocatch

Stuff@

Joe C

Before I go further. I am happy to say that when this...

and this.........

Have a baby, clearly this is what is born. It feels like a perfect combination of what I loved about my GTO and what I loved about my Beetle.

It's fast as hell. It's rear drive, and manual. It pulls hard straight to 7k. It's also cute (girls version of "tough"). It sounds badass. it's a convertible!

1. Steering is better than any car I've ever owned in perfection of heavy effort without being too much effort. I prolly would say I preferred the magnetic of my old GTP though.

2. Power - Feels really down on torque on the bottom end, and then just comes in a big wheelspin free wave. I don't understand how a 420hp car isn't blowing the tires clear off (My GTO did, but IRS = squatting). SRA hooks! Unfortunately I am fully aware of the SRA, because of how it handles bumps!

3. Blind Spot Mirrors - I effing love them.

4. MT82 - Smooth. Close shifts and gates. I like that, but I hate the vague rubberyness of it that has made me and my fiancee both mis-shift the 2-3 when casually driving. I'm still trying to assess what technique change I need. Transmission is good and tight though. If it went to the 2-3 better with zero change in feel otherwise, I'd call it the best ever.

5. MPG - Sucks. My GTO was cammed and could do 19mpg combined, and 26 on the freeway. The Mustang isn't even close.

6. Headlights - Superior to the GTO, but not by a heavy margin. The GTO had retrofitted 55w HIDs so... it's a bit different. Far better than the 55w HID retrofits that were in my Beetle vert.

7. NVH - Amazingly quiet with the top up and windows closed. It's bizarre just how quiet it is..

8. Looks - I have NEVER in my life had a car that garnered attention like this. I'm not one to like lust after Mustangs, never really did, especially late models, they're so homogenized and boring, and it's rare to see something cool like a GT in a sea of boring automatic v6 coupes that mom and dad bought their teenage daughter. that being said, my first car was an automatic v6 camaro, after the father-daughter '66 Impala project car never got off it's feet.

I've had multiple people take pictures of the car, or just comment on it aloud, etc. it's weird as heck to me.

9. Sound - GT500 axle backs and removal of resonators have been done. Being that this is a convertible, i don't really want to do much else. The sound is just nuts. Sounds like I'm somehow channeling Lt. Frank Bullitt with this particular combo. It's by far the best sounding production V8 I have EVER heard in my life. The best part is just a slow lazy acceleration, shifting around 3k-3.5k and it just burps and makes awesome sounds, or like a rev-matched downshift to like 2nd gear when coming to a stoplight, with the popping, burbling and sweet trumpet.

10. The LEDs. Kudos to Ford for making it obvious they are keeping up with current car trends. This is the first car that I won't disable the DRLs on. Though once there is some more aftermarket saturation, I'm going to look into how I can get my headlight LED strips to be brighter and whiter. The taillights are just a freaking work of art. I thought they looked good during the day, but are straight up magical at night time.

I love this car. That being said, I couldn't mind a equally priced (45k) '12 Camaro RS/SS in Orange and a 2k budget (what I've got into the car already for mods) to do some upgrades to brand new and two weeks to drive it to give it an equal assessment on which is truthfully the better car between the Mustang and Camaro.

I am a car fan. Not a Mustang fan exclusively.

When I think about what I DON'T like.......

I wish the seatbelts didn't lock you in like they do (passenger one, really) it's annoying. I also dislike the mounting point a bit. rubs my neck annoyingly sometimes.

I don't like the that the sub in my Shaker Pro has blown already.

I don't like the miles of wheel gap that make lowering mandatory if you want your car not to look like a truck (never lowered my GTO, no gap)

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 9/1/12 at 11:22 PM.
Old 9/2/12, 10:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
After having my OWN '13 Grabber Premium GT Vert I'd like to also say a word based on what you stated. I'd had my car 10 days now....

Before I go further. I am happy to say that when this...

and this.........

Have a baby, clearly this is what is born. It feels like a perfect combination of what I loved about my GTO and what I loved about my Beetle.

It's fast as hell. It's rear drive, and manual. It pulls hard straight to 7k. It's also cute (girls version of "tough"). It sounds badass. it's a convertible!

1. Steering is better than any car I've ever owned in perfection of heavy effort without being too much effort. I prolly would say I preferred the magnetic of my old GTP though.

2. Power - Feels really down on torque on the bottom end, and then just comes in a big wheelspin free wave. I don't understand how a 420hp car isn't blowing the tires clear off (My GTO did, but IRS = squatting). SRA hooks! Unfortunately I am fully aware of the SRA, because of how it handles bumps!

3. Blind Spot Mirrors - I effing love them.

4. MT82 - Smooth. Close shifts and gates. I like that, but I hate the vague rubberyness of it that has made me and my fiancee both mis-shift the 2-3 when casually driving. I'm still trying to assess what technique change I need. Transmission is good and tight though. If it went to the 2-3 better with zero change in feel otherwise, I'd call it the best ever.

5. MPG - Sucks. My GTO was cammed and could do 19mpg combined, and 26 on the freeway. The Mustang isn't even close.

6. Headlights - Superior to the GTO, but not by a heavy margin. The GTO had retrofitted 55w HIDs so... it's a bit different. Far better than the 55w HID retrofits that were in my Beetle vert.

7. NVH - Amazingly quiet with the top up and windows closed. It's bizarre just how quiet it is..

8. Looks - I have NEVER in my life had a car that garnered attention like this. I'm not one to like lust after Mustangs, never really did, especially late models, they're so homogenized and boring, and it's rare to see something cool like a GT in a sea of boring automatic v6 coupes that mom and dad bought their teenage daughter. that being said, my first car was an automatic v6 camaro, after the father-daughter '66 Impala project car never got off it's feet.

I've had multiple people take pictures of the car, or just comment on it aloud, etc. it's weird as heck to me.

9. Sound - GT500 axle backs and removal of resonators have been done. Being that this is a convertible, i don't really want to do much else. The sound is just nuts. Sounds like I'm somehow channeling Lt. Frank Bullitt with this particular combo. It's by far the best sounding production V8 I have EVER heard in my life. The best part is just a slow lazy acceleration, shifting around 3k-3.5k and it just burps and makes awesome sounds, or like a rev-matched downshift to like 2nd gear when coming to a stoplight, with the popping, burbling and sweet trumpet.

10. The LEDs. Kudos to Ford for making it obvious they are keeping up with current car trends. This is the first car that I won't disable the DRLs on. Though once there is some more aftermarket saturation, I'm going to look into how I can get my headlight LED strips to be brighter and whiter. The taillights are just a freaking work of art. I thought they looked good during the day, but are straight up magical at night time.

I love this car. That being said, I couldn't mind a equally priced (45k) '12 Camaro RS/SS in Orange and a 2k budget (what I've got into the car already for mods) to do some upgrades to brand new and two weeks to drive it to give it an equal assessment on which is truthfully the better car between the Mustang and Camaro.

I am a car fan. Not a Mustang fan exclusively.

When I think about what I DON'T like.......

I wish the seatbelts didn't lock you in like they do (passenger one, really) it's annoying. I also dislike the mounting point a bit. rubs my neck annoyingly sometimes.

I don't like the that the sub in my Shaker Pro has blown already.

I don't like the miles of wheel gap that make lowering mandatory if you want your car not to look like a truck (never lowered my GTO, no gap)
Spot on TheDiva..., I can relate to everything said except for the Shaker Pros, which I don't have.

p-Funk
Old 9/3/12, 06:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Another thing I think I notice are the brakes. They seem to be working somewhat better than my old GT. Not sure if it is just because they are new or the old ones were worn but the 2013 brakes seem to be stopping better. I don't think they made any changes to the brakes from 2010 - 2013, right?
The front rotors on the '11+ GTs are 0.8" wider than the '10s.
Old 9/3/12, 06:37 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I got my new 2013 GT Prem Race Red car today from Jeff at Yocum Ford in Lansdale, PA. Boy, if you are in the area, I suggest you order a car from him. Excellent service.

1. The first thing I noticed about the car is the sterring. Kind of funky, nothing at all like my 2010 GT. At slow speed not much difference. But at highway speeds it is alot different. There seems to be a lag from when you turn the wheel and when the wheels actually turn. I have not changed it yet from the statndard default setting.

2. Power - the extra 100 horses are amazing! As the tac goes past 3000 rpm it feels like the afterburners kick in, just super. Makes my 2010 4.6 feel like a dog. Like night an day.

3. Blind Spot Mirrors - really, really nice and I can see are a great safety feature. Used them alot on the 150 mile ride home.

4. MT82 - Not 100% use to it yet, I missed 5th to 6th alot and various times hit 3rd instead of 5th. Normal stuff I am sure. I did notice at 6500 rpm a problem shifting until the engine rpms went down and the engine/MT82 made a strange howeling sound.

5. MPG - as already stated in the forum, gas milage off the showroom floor is low. I got about 17.8 combination highway/rual and running at various rpms (high and low) driving it home.

Can't wait for nightfall so I can see what the pony projectors and headlamps look like.

Joe C
6500 on the ride home hard as it was, I managed to get 1000 miles before >4000 on our 06. wasnt easy keeping the foot out of it though, for sure

congrats on a great ride- man, wish I had a 6 speed

Last edited by ford4v429; 9/3/12 at 06:38 AM.
Old 9/6/12, 07:18 PM

Had my 2013 Race Red GT since July 11th.
I have an annoying squeak noise coming from somewhere in the trunk/speaker area on the driver side. Nothing feels loose so not sure where else to check.
Also, car is a blast to drive, but the Shaker sound system is absolutely terrible.
Already pricing aftermarket subwoofer/amp to start, and then go from there.
Old 9/6/12, 07:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by its_brad1
I have an annoying squeak noise coming from somewhere in the trunk/speaker area on the driver side. Nothing feels loose so not sure where else to check.
Also, car is a blast to drive, but the Shaker sound system is absolutely terrible.
I totally agree on the speakers. They are not what I expected. And a premium GT with out HD radio a standard? -serious?
Old 9/6/12, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by its_brad1
I just received today my new Polk Audio speakers for the doors. On my 2010 the system had enough power for me and the subs were doing a good job but the mid range and highs were off. On my 2010 I replaced the door speakers and it sound much better. So this weekend I going to replace the door speakers and I am hoping, like in the 2010, that is all that is needed. I posted a photo along time showing what a huge difference in magnet sizes between the stock and after market speakers.

Joe C.
Old 9/6/12, 07:53 PM
Banned

I can say with certainty that there is a major sound difference between Shaker and Shaker Pro. I experienced both since my sub amp died, but it was terrible.
Old 9/6/12, 09:31 PM
GT Member

Speaking to those of you getting bad gas mileage on your new car I'd have to say it improves as it breaks in. Note I have absolutely nothing to back this up besides personal experience. But When I picked mine up I was getting in the 16's mpg and now after 5000 miles I get around 18-19. I drive a pretty decent mix of city/hwy with slightly more city. I'm also a little (not much) lighter on the pedal now which is so so hard to do in these cars. So who knows, it could just be my foot was a bit heavier for my first couple months with her : P I feel I could probably average low 20's if I stayed out of the throttle a bit more. But at the end of the day I didn't buy this car for gas mileage

I did recently go WIS/IL border to St. Louis and back averaging a little over 26mpg. Little less than One tank each way. Not too bad for a 5.0L V8 cruising 75-80 most of the time.

As for the steering I always leave mine on sport. Much firmer, more responsive, and better feedback.

Quick Reply: First Impressions Driving My New 2013 GT