2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Factory Remote Start on 2011 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/09, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam2004
There are a ton of horror stories surrounding manual transmission vehicles and remote start. I would never, ever, install one.
Had one for over 2 yrs on a toyota truck. Never had any issues whatsoever. Started everyday at least twice. Guess you just have to be smarter than the remote start.
Old 12/5/09, 05:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by STL-GT
Just got a 2010 Escape Hybrid (it's a company car, and its not a Prius, so don't flog me!) with remote start and it has a separate key fob for the remote start. And it drives me NUTS that it honks the horn to let you know that it received the command to start it, then it honks again to let you know it started. If it doesn't start for whatever reason, it honks 3 times! The neighbors love that when I remote start it at 4am!

In my opinion, its not nearly as well integrated as the remote start in my wife's Grand Cherokee that actually turns the heat or AC up to high when its remote started and turns on the defroster if the heat is on. We'll see how Ford improves that in the 2011s.
Hey Jeff, next time you bring your Escape Hybrid in for service, tell them that you do NOT want the horn notification on remote startup. It can be removed, as I had it removed from a customer's Edge. She wakes up at 5 am and leaves by 6 am and didn't want to wake the neighbors. Its a quick 2 minute reprogram of the remote start system.
Old 12/5/09, 07:32 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just leave mine parked in the garage.... in Florida
Old 12/5/09, 12:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by denlem
And when you leave there, come park here over night after one of our ice storms. Then try getting IN your car to start it and turn on the defroster.
Heh, the day I test drove my Mustang, about a month before buying it, we got 2" of snow that turned into an ice storm. I had the Mustang out for about 5 hours to get a real feel for it since I had never driven a Mustang before. When I got back, it took me 45 minutes to get through the inch of ice that was covering the car I drove to the dealership. Good memories.
Old 12/5/09, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I doubt the heated steering wheel will appear on the Mustang any time soon; besides, the current seat heaters only have one heat setting.
Old 12/7/09, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Adam2004
There are a ton of horror stories surrounding manual transmission vehicles and remote start. I would never, ever, install one.
Yeah I agree.. if you leave your car in gear that could be an issue.

Nobody ever taught me right, so I never learned to leave the car in gear. I just use the parking brake. On the rare occasions where someone drives my car, I always stall it by lurching forward in gear when I pull the clutch out... since I always forget that other people leave the car in gear.

But some good news for others who don't have my bad habits: A friend of mine has a remote start installed on his manual Integra, which has many fail safes - it will ONLY work if you park the car in a certain way - like, shifter in neutral, brake down, parking brake fully applied, brake up. Any deviation from that specific order will cause the remote start to not start up at all - and he'll have to manually start it then. That's always an option for people who are worried about accidentally leaving it in gear.
Old 12/7/09, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Jeff, next time you bring your Escape Hybrid in for service, tell them that you do NOT want the horn notification on remote startup. It can be removed, as I had it removed from a customer's Edge. She wakes up at 5 am and leaves by 6 am and didn't want to wake the neighbors. Its a quick 2 minute reprogram of the remote start system.
Thanks Jeff - will do! I didn't see anything in the manual about how to turn the horn off, so I thought it wasn't possible. Did I just miss it, or is it not published?
Old 12/9/09, 11:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks Jeff - will do! I didn't see anything in the manual about how to turn the horn off, so I thought it wasn't possible. Did I just miss it, or is it not published?
Hey Jeff, its something that won't be in the manual, but in the service books for installation and repair. We have a company who specializes in installs and the fellow who installs these is a wiz! He came over and got rid of the horn honk on a customer of mine's Edge in less than a minute. Real quick fix. Again, as long as its a Ford system your able to have this done. If your service department doesn't know anything about it, don't end it there but have them contact whoever installs them after the sale. They will know for sure. If you have any trouble, let me know and I'll forward you the information I can get from my fellow who does it for us here at my store.
Old 12/9/09, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Excellent - thanks Jeff! I have to take it next week for something else anyway, so I'll try to get this done too. My neighbors owe you one!
Old 12/9/09, 01:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Excellent - thanks Jeff! I have to take it next week for something else anyway, so I'll try to get this done too. My neighbors owe you one!
Always glad to help buddy!
Old 12/10/09, 10:41 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you know the model of the starter, you can try looking up the info. I had the horn problem with a past vehicle too. The dealer would't tell me what company installed the starter, so I had to be at the dealer when the installer was there to turn off the horn, and they didn't know when they would be there next. Since I knew what the unit was, I just looked up the info online. Was easy to turn off and similar to programming a new remote.

There were also timer options I could program that would start the car daily or every so many hours if the temp dropped below a certain temp. Nothing I needed, but nice to know it was there! The install manual was definately worth having!
Old 12/10/09, 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Good to know - thanks Dennis! I'll have to look it up...