Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Factory Remote Start on 2011 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12/3/09, 11:44 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Factory Remote Start on 2011 Mustang

READY FOR WINTER? FORD ADDS NEW REMOTE START FEATURE, HEATED STEERING WHEEL TO WARM CUSTOMERS
  • Ford responds to customers’ desire for warmth in colder months with new factory-installed remote start system and heated steering wheel for the 2011 model year
  • Ford’s remote start system, when combined with automatic climate control, will gauge the temperature and quickly achieve a comfortable cabin environment. Heating, heated seats and defrost activate on colder days; air conditioning, cooled seats kick in when the weather is warm
  • Ford engineers calculate that using a remote start system could help reduce hydrocarbon, CO and nitrogen oxides emissions by up to 75 percent, since it preheats the catalyst on cold starts (where up to 95 percent of emissions typically occur), prior to those first few accelerations
  • Ford’s remote start factory option quickly will be offered across the entire Ford, Lincoln and Mercury lineup after launching on the 2011 Ford Super Duty next spring; the heated steering wheel option debuts on the 2011 Lincoln MKX
Ford, responding to increasing consumer demand, is heating up its vehicle lineup with winter-weather options including a factory-installed remote start system and heated steering wheel.

The remote start system will debut on the 2011 Ford Super Duty next spring and eventually will be offered across the Ford, Lincoln and Mercury lineup. Also next year, Lincoln will begin offering customers a heated steering wheel option, which will be available first on the new 2011 Lincoln MKX.

Ford has been offering a dealer-installed remote start kit since the late 1990s that has proven popular with customers. The kits rank as one of the top three Genuine Ford Accessories sold nationally for the past five years. In the past year, sales have increased 40 percent since Ford started installing the dealer remote starter kits at modification centers located near assembly plants.

The new factory option comes in response to strong customer demand. A recent J.D. Power Emerging Technology Study found 90 percent of customers would prefer remote start systems be factory-installed.

“What was once a feature only available on luxury cars or in the aftermarket is now becoming a factory-installed option for Ford customers,” said Michael Kan, research and development engineer with Ford Customer Service Division (FCSD). “Customers want the peace of mind that comes with a factory-installed option; now Ford is meeting this demand with a high-quality, affordable solution.”

The new factory-installed remote start, when integrated with the available automatic climate control system, measures the temperature and quickly creates a comfortable atmosphere with heating or air conditioning, heated or cooled front seats, and the front and rear defroster if needed.

“When you jump in a Ford car or truck, no matter the weather, it’s ready to go,” said Lisa Boran, a technical expert with Ford Body and Security Electronics. “We’ve been able to integrate these two features to improve upon the traditional remote start system.”

Improved emissions performance
Customers can also feel good about their decision to preheat or precook their ride, says Ford powertrain engineers and emission experts. Although remote start systems have been given a bad emissions rap in the past, it’s not true that leaving a car at idle pumps more hydrocarbons, CO and nitrogen oxides into the air.

John Shanahan, manager, Ford Powertrain Feature Calibration, explains: “The vast majority of a vehicle’s emissions are made during the drive-away after the car is started. Once the catalyst is warmed up, it will convert up to 99 percent of the engine-out emissions into less harmful gases. With remote start, along with getting the passenger compartment comfortable, you’re warming the catalyst while the vehicle is in neutral with lighter loads on the engine. We employ engine control features that maximize the catalyst warm-up, even if the engine is only idling. This will result in a more active catalyst when you drive away.”

That warmed-up catalyst can represent up to a 75 percent emissions reduction, depending on how cool the catalyst is and how hard the driver accelerates those first few times after a typical engine start.

Hot wheels
The heated steering wheel option coming to the Lincoln lineup is also about responding to customer needs, said Cole Buccafurri, Ford’s feature and branding manager. “Market research told us that a heated steering wheel was something our target Lincoln customer was definitely interested in,” he noted.

Throw aside the market research, the biological fact is that the human body functions better when it’s warm. The body’s initial response to cold is to preserve heat by reducing the blood flow to the hands and feet. For those who live in a winter-weather area, it’s that familiar tingle or numbness felt when hands and feet start getting cold.

That reduced blood supply equates to reduced dexterity in the fingers and hands, for example, which can hinder performance of simple tasks, such as screwing in a light bulb, opening a door or steering a vehicle out of a tight parking spot. A warm interior and a toasty steering wheel may also eliminate the need for heavy gloves while driving, which can further reduce tactile sensitivity and dexterity.

Warm my ride
Ford currently offers two dealer-installed remote start options: a one-way system, which will remotely start the vehicle from a key fob from up to 1,000 feet away; and a two-way, bidirectional option, in which the vehicle transmits a signal back to the fob verifying the start-up.
Launching later this month is an optional system that’s compatible with the Intelligent Access with Push Button Start system available on the 2010 Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS, soon followed by the factory-installed system.

The 2011 Lincoln MKX will be first to offer the heated steering wheel option, and when combined with the factory-installed remote start system, it will also activate the heat on the steering wheel for that warm-to-the-touch winter morning welcome.

“Ford’s vehicles are constantly becoming more advanced,” said FCSD’s Kan. “So we’re always adapting and changing our product to keep up.”
Old 12/3/09, 11:55 AM
eci
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neat. I wonder if manuals get it. The aftermarket ones for manuals are a pain. Ford should be able to have it verify the parking brake is active and the transmission is in neutral...
Old 12/3/09, 12:00 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Problem is the owners manual says to always leave a manual transmisison vehicle in first gear to prevent it from rolling away if the parking brake doesn't hold.
Old 12/3/09, 12:03 PM
eci
Banned

That would settle that then. There really is no safe way to do it I guess.
Old 12/3/09, 01:35 PM
V6 Member

I just want to know if it will be included as a button on the normal key fob. It bugs me that Ford is the only company that has a separate remote for the remote start feature. (I am a valet and have learned to use the remote start of MANY different cars, and all the others include the button on the main fob) I wonder if the 2011 will get the new Taurus key fob. I know the 2010 Mustang just this year got the fob the Fusion and other cars have had, and there seems to be a space for one more function button, but the new fob would probably be better still. I can't seem to find a picture of the new Taurus key fob to link, though. Anyone else able to find one to share?
Old 12/3/09, 02:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2007 Ranger FX4 has remote start and it has one single Ford keyfob. There are 4 buttons on it: two for the locks, one for the panic feature, and one blue button with a white key on it to start the truck. On cars and SUVs, the blue button is for opening the trunk/tailgate, so I don't know if they would eliminate that button and replace it with the start button, or maybe add a 5th button.

It works great and has now become a must-have feature for me on any future vehicles I buy.
Old 12/3/09, 02:16 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
In the state of Texas it is illegal to leave a running car unattended. FWIW

Also I just see more $$$. Why don't we just let the car drive for us now. Heated steering wheels. What a bunch of pansies. Leave those for the Lincoln buyers.
Old 12/3/09, 02:40 PM
V6 Member

John H, thanks. I did not know that. I know on all the pictures Ford shows on their website they show a small little extra fob. Good to hear they did include it in one fob.
Old 12/3/09, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Just got a 2010 Escape Hybrid (it's a company car, and its not a Prius, so don't flog me!) with remote start and it has a separate key fob for the remote start. And it drives me NUTS that it honks the horn to let you know that it received the command to start it, then it honks again to let you know it started. If it doesn't start for whatever reason, it honks 3 times! The neighbors love that when I remote start it at 4am!

In my opinion, its not nearly as well integrated as the remote start in my wife's Grand Cherokee that actually turns the heat or AC up to high when its remote started and turns on the defroster if the heat is on. We'll see how Ford improves that in the 2011s.
Old 12/3/09, 04:26 PM
Cobra R Member

I'll pass.
Old 12/3/09, 05:15 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want these features just so I can go "Hey guys, watch this..."

Old 12/3/09, 05:19 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It'd be awsome walking up behind your car hearing it start... it should rev 2 or 3 times too

Not on manual...I don't know ANY factory remote start systems that are on manuals.
Safety concerns.
You'd have to go aftermarket to get that.
Old 12/3/09, 05:24 PM

Jackin the price imo is detrimental to my health.
Old 12/3/09, 05:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Also I just see more $$$. Why don't we just let the car drive for us now. Heated steering wheels. What a bunch of pansies. Leave those for the Lincoln buyers.
Not all of us have that warm Mexican wind keeping the frost away....
Old 12/3/09, 05:39 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Hey. It would be used in the summer time here to cool the car off.

And the best feature on my wife's Expedition is not the heated seats, but the air conditioned seats.
Old 12/3/09, 05:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

And the best feature on my wife's Expedition is not the heated seats, but the air conditioned seats.
I defiinately take cooled seats over heated. Winter is made for storage.
Old 12/3/09, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's work too. Start the car, auto starts the AC and drops the windows down to let out the hot air.
Old 12/3/09, 05:57 PM
Cobra R Member

In the state of Texas it is illegal to leave a running car unattended. FWIW

Being a New Yorker my entire life, Not to mention Buffalo,NY. I Love remote start and wheels sounds awesome. I honestly believe if you lived up here you would feel differently, Especially when you have 3/4 of solid ice on your car and its minus double digits outside.Remember we have more cold days then warm..
Old 12/3/09, 06:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by STL-GT
And it drives me NUTS that it honks the horn to let you know that it received the command to start it, then it honks again to let you know it started. If it doesn't start for whatever reason, it honks 3 times! The neighbors love that when I remote start it at 4am!
Yikes. Thankfully, mine just flashes the parking lights twice when it starts up. It also turns on the interior lights until you put the key in the ignition and "start" it.
Old 12/3/09, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Meh, whenever they can figure out a foolproof way of a remote start on a manual, sign me up. Until then... and yes I daily drive my Mustang 365, thank you. With no garage.

I'll be in the corner whimpering jealously.

Had a heated steering wheel on an X5... was nice... but I don't think I'd ever pay for it. The time it took to have an effect, the heater did nearly the same thing.

Quick Reply: Factory Remote Start on 2011 Mustang