Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Evo Performance already lost a clutch !!

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/10, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Performance already lost a clutch !!

Obviously the burnouts on sticky tires is what caused it ...... but to compare on my 04 mach 1 I upped the power level to 400 rwhp and used racing slicks. I am still driving to this day on that stock clutch..... so to me this news is a bit dissapointing.
Old 5/6/10, 01:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is this a second clutch now or the original with 12 runs on it that went out several days ago?
Old 5/6/10, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by fritzOSU03
Is this a second clutch now or the original with 12 runs on it that went out several days ago?
They are already on their 2nd clutch.

Evolution Performance, Inc. The clutch is officially Toasted, it lasted a lot longer then I thought! New one should be here tomorrow, but that one won't last long either! Upgraded clutches are going to be a must when running with sticky tires!
Old 5/6/10, 02:01 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by prochargedmach1

Evolution Performance, Inc. The clutch is officially Toasted, it lasted a lot longer then I thought! New one should be here tomorrow, but that one won't last long either! Upgraded clutches are going to be a must when running with sticky tires!
This was reported a couple of days ago, within minutes of their having posted it on Facebook.
Old 5/6/10, 02:01 PM

Well.... if they are using the stock clutch to do this.... than I understand why they are a burning it up.... || Notice the front tires off the ground ||
Attached Thumbnails Evo Performance already lost a clutch !!-32279_10150174551140648_262882950647_12412943_4526386_n.jpg  
Old 5/6/10, 02:02 PM
V6 Member

Eh - I'm not too worried. They literally took the car from the dealership straight to the track. So the clutch itself wasn't even properly broken in. It was probably nice and glazed on its very first pass.
Old 5/6/10, 02:05 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is old news. But notice how it said "it lasted a lot longer than I thought!"....not worried
Old 5/6/10, 02:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's also a "Dual Mass Flywheel" type clutch set up which is not as durable as an old school single mass flywheel.

Doug
Old 5/6/10, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I can guarantee i'm not going to beat on my car the way they do. I'm not worried whatsoever.
Old 5/6/10, 02:32 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well.... if they are using the stock clutch to do this.... than I understand why they are a burning it up.... || Notice the front tires off the ground ||
I see that the left front is up pretty high, lots of twist there wasting forward thrust horsepower.
Old 5/6/10, 02:33 PM
GTR Member

They need an airbag in the right rear spring.
Old 5/6/10, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Pretty sure this was posted over in the modifications forum. Not surprising really. Clutch is often the weakest link, and it isn't meant to withstand that kind of driving for long. It's actually only surprising that they got 12 runs out of it.
Old 5/6/10, 03:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by DontShoot
Pretty sure this was posted over in the modifications forum. Not surprising really. Clutch is often the weakest link, and it isn't meant to withstand that kind of driving for long. It's actually only surprising that they got 12 runs out of it.
They didn't break it in properly, I know I can speak for alot of people on here when I say the oem clutches from 05-09 take a BEATING.
Old 5/6/10, 03:23 PM

tire
Old 5/6/10, 03:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by t-ray
Eh - I'm not too worried. They literally took the car from the dealership straight to the track. So the clutch itself wasn't even properly broken in. It was probably nice and glazed on its very first pass.
I didn't even know that there was a procedure for breaking in a clutch! Would you mind sharing a few tips on how to do it properly?
Old 5/6/10, 03:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
I didn't even know that there was a procedure for breaking in a clutch! Would you mind sharing a few tips on how to do it properly?
Well, first, with the clutch pressed, you rev the car to about 6000 RPM, then quickly with the left leg...I KEED, I KEED! That is interesting about the clutch breaking inning...
Old 5/6/10, 03:51 PM
GT Member

Just a reminder that if you don't break it in properly, it may break on you. That wheelie is clearly showing that the entire drive line is under stress.

Looks cool too.
Old 5/6/10, 03:53 PM
Bullitt Member

All this talk of clutch issues makes me wonder how the automatic is going to handle power upgrades. You think it will have more or less problems than the manual. Burning through clutches was one of the reasons I went with the auto, I tend to like to launch hard and I figured more of the auto parts are warranty items and not wear items.
Old 5/6/10, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by IT_Guru
All this talk of clutch issues makes me wonder how the automatic is going to handle power upgrades. You think it will have more or less problems than the manual. Burning through clutches was one of the reasons I went with the auto, I tend to like to launch hard and I figured more of the auto parts are warranty items and not wear items.
the automatic in ur car is reportedly good for 700+ lb-ft. u will not break it.
Old 5/6/10, 04:04 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by IT_Guru
Auto's are way stronger than manuals in GT's.

Quick Reply: Evo Performance already lost a clutch !!