2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

EPIC Sunset Pics

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/11, 04:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I messed with a couple using graduated masks and brightened up the car areas, really helps but the original jpgs just don't seem to have much shadow detail limiting what could be done.

Itravelalot's advice is great. These are fantastic shots, even if they are a bit dark.
Old 2/21/11, 04:59 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Itravelalot
... I really like the pictures, but would be interested in seeing just a little more detail on the parts of the car in shadow in some of those pics. If you can do anything of what I described me, I can help with the photoshop if you need me to. It takes me a while because I am very busy, but it is a very nice Mustang.
Thanks for all of the advise. My personal photography skills have been tested by only point and click cameras, and now my iPhone4.

It's my neighbor's camera and his pictures. I will show him these notes and we'll hopefully come back with better results. I'm stoked to go out again!

We used Photoshop Lightroom to touch up the pictures, and they actually came out great when in Raw format. An awful lot got lost in converting the files to jpeg, and it shows, but I think they are still pretty cool in the meantime.

I could probably get you the Raw files if you'd like to play around with them.

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
I messed with a couple using graduated masks and brightened up the car areas, really helps but the original jpgs just don't seem to have much shadow detail limiting what could be done.

Itravelalot's advice is great. These are fantastic shots, even if they are a bit dark.
You mind sending them to me? I'd like to check out what you did with them?

I can't believe how amazing your pictures of your YB 5.0 are!
Old 2/21/11, 05:00 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Oh, yeah, that's nice!
Old 2/21/11, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
Thanks for all of the advise. My personal photography skills have been tested by only point and click cameras, and now my iPhone4.

It's my neighbor's camera and his pictures. I will show him these notes and we'll hopefully come back with better results. I'm stoked to go out again!

We used Photoshop Lightroom to touch up the pictures, and they actually came out great when in Raw format. An awful lot got lost in converting the files to jpeg, and it shows, but I think they are still pretty cool in the meantime.

I could probably get you the Raw files if you'd like to play around with them.

You mind sending them to me? I'd like to check out what you did with them?

I can't believe how amazing your pictures of your YB 5.0 are!
PM me and I can mess with the raw files, those have a lot more headroom for conversion.

here's what I did with the -1.jpg file:

Original:

Edited: (graduated sky filter)
Old 2/21/11, 05:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks pretty dang good! I liked the 8th pic the best. Just an awesome car.
Old 2/21/11, 05:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by S197 GT
I just got back from my first real photo shoot.

My neighbor just picked up a new lens for his camera and said we should take some pics of the car.

Well, tonight we just happened to have a great looking sunset, so we took off and grabbed a bunch of pictures.

I've attached some of my favorites!

What do you guys think?

Somebody stole your photos ! Let me know when they're back.
Old 2/21/11, 06:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Nice shots. My cousin is without a camera right now, sold his two DSLRs to get a new one, but he does have a bunch of flashes and tripods for them to set up the strobes. Once he has a camera within the next week or two, we can set something up. Maybe some rolling action shots?
Old 2/21/11, 06:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by laserred38
Nice shots. My cousin is without a camera right now, sold his two DSLRs to get a new one, but he does have a bunch of flashes and tripods for them to set up the strobes. Once he has a camera within the next week or two, we can set something up. Maybe some rolling action shots?
Am i the only one not seeing those photos right now !
Old 2/21/11, 07:03 PM
Bullitt Member

You can actually do pretty good with a point and shoot, too. You will not be able to do as much with ISO and you will not really have any effectice control over your F-stop, but try the HDR thing with your point and shoot. Just set it on a tripod and be very careful not to move it while changing the exposure length. The first shot should be made so that the sunset looks great. then next, you careuly without moving the camera at all change the length of the shot until it is bright enough to see nice detail in the car. You might have to try this a bit to get it right. Once you have the pictures, you can produce a nice HDR shot. I am not sure if your version of Photoshop can do it well or not, but there are freeware programs that can. I have CS5 and although HDR is not my specialty, I would not mind having a go at it.

If all that is too ambitious for you, just get the tripod and play with the exposure length until you can both see details in the shadows and the sunset is not washed out. This will work on almost all digital point and shoots made in the last 5 years. It will give you the ability to take amazing night shots, too. The only thing is that the camera cannot be moved while the shot is going. It is also best not to have anything moving in the shot either as it will blur. Even with only moonlight, you can take pictures with a point and shoot if you set it manually to have an exposure length long enough and make sure the camera is still. Sometimes when I am out and do not have a tripod, I use a wall or a post to steady the camera if I need a really dark shot.

Only the better cameras will let you use raw files. If you shoot me the raw files of the pics you took, I can try seeing if I can get anything more out of them. There is a certain point past where you cannot get anything more out of them, but it is worth a try. I do not know if you can PM large files, but I could give you my email if you want me to look at anything for you.
Old 2/21/11, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Those are so dank man, what camera setup does your neighbor use?
Old 2/21/11, 07:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
epic.. nice.. and holy sh*t batman thats some big pictures.. ty chrome for resizing.. lol
Old 2/21/11, 09:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
out-FREAKIN-standing.

Great looking car, great photography, thanks for sharing.
Old 2/21/11, 10:51 PM
Banned

Looks great!!!
Old 2/22/11, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

wow absolutely gorgeous!
Old 2/22/11, 02:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Finally seeing them......WOW that's one amazing ride, and the scenery is just beautiful....
Old 2/22/11, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
Edited: (graduated sky filter)
Is there any possible way you could post this in the original resolution, this would make an awesome desktop wallpaper
Old 2/22/11, 04:27 PM

I'd also appreciate the full size highlighted picture. I already 'stole' one of them to be my desktop wallpaper, and I love the reworked image!
Old 2/22/11, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Let me see if I can get him to PM me the raws and with his permission, I'll post the retouched versions in various background formats.

While I feel they're underexposed (which had to be to get that sky detail), they're beautiful images that I'm adding to my background rotation.
Old 2/22/11, 04:51 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I'll send Both of you guys the Raw files and you have my permission to adjust them as you see fit and upload them.

I'll PM you guys now with my email address. I'll need to get your email address as well so I can send them to you guys.
Old 2/22/11, 04:53 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll download the lot and add them to my background list. Looking at these, I really need to get on a good photoshoot with my car.

Quick Reply: EPIC Sunset Pics