2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

End of the Mustang GT?

Search this Thread

Old 11/11/09 | 07:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Clino
I could live with the Mustang Twinforce, or the Mustang SVT rather than SVO. Or even make it a straight up Cobra. Or there is always GT350?
DING DING DING!!!

Helllooooooo....Mustang TwinForce and F150 TwinForce should already be a done deal! Hell, IMO all the V6 EB cars should be TwinForce. Save the EB moniker for the I4's...
Old 11/11/09 | 09:01 PM
Cobra Member

no way in hell. i couldnt see the mustang line up like...

-Mustang V6
-Mustang MACH1
-SVT Mustang (whether it be Cobra or GT500)

to me, the MACH1 is something thats rarely seen on the streets. u just dont see many like u do a GT or V6. if the MACH1 replaced the GT, then would the MACH1 still be considered a low production special edition if it were produced in as many units as the GT? i dont think so, if anyone ever got the idea, people might take the MACH1 parts (bumpers, badges, spoilers ect.) and replace them with the V6 parts and slap on some GT badges from a mustang of the past just to say they have a 'Mustang GT'. that would be so tacky and horrid.
Old 11/11/09 | 10:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
Since turbochargers get very hot, how about Mustang Caliente?
LOL while I appreciate the effort, clearly marketing isn't your forte. Caliente is of course Spanish. And is used in conjunction 99% of the time to say foods are "spicy". Not to call it hot... When used with a person or thing however, it's subject changes and it's new meaning is "horny". So! With that we have the Horny Mustang!! haha!

That'll be worse than the Chevy Nova in Mexico ("No va" in Spanish means 'doesn't run') or Like when Colgate Toothpaste was first introduced to Spain. "Colga te" is a Spanish command telling you to literally "go hang yourself". Yea, Marketing didn't think these translations over too well...

But yes, the Horny Mustang...
I can't see that catching on...
lol
Old 11/11/09 | 10:07 PM
Cobra Member

Just because Ford decided to make the '03-'04 Mach 1s a limited run (of which almost 17,000 were made, so they aren't that rare), I don't see why a new Mach 1 should necessarily be a limited-production car. Plenty were made in their hey-day ('69-'73) and less than hey-day ('74-'78) and aren't really that rare even today.
Old 11/11/09 | 10:13 PM
Cobra Member

Tell that to Ford. Ever heard of the Mercury Comet Caliente? It was a sportier Comet, though not quite a Cyclone. Anyway the point is that there is a precedent for Ford using Caliente to denote a sports model.

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
LOL while I appreciate the effort, clearly marketing isn't your forte. Caliente is of course Spanish. And is used in conjunction 99% of the time to say foods are "spicy". Not to call it hot... When used with a person or thing however, it's subject changes and it's new meaning is "horny". So! With that we have the Horny Mustang!! haha!

lol
Old 11/11/09 | 10:13 PM
Post *****

i really dont see "GT" being replaced by "Mach 1" and heres why.

In 69, when they looked at sales figures and decided to drop the GT, the mustang had been around for only a few years. The GT was well known but it wasn't so solidly in place as it is now. today, the GT has been the standard Performance (but not necessarily top of the line) model for 27 years. If after nearly three decades, the GT were to disappear, plenty of the average consumers would be confused as heck. Theres really no point in replacing it, and it will only cause confusion.
Old 11/11/09 | 10:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
Theres really no point in replacing it, and it will only cause confusion.
I agree.
Old 11/11/09 | 11:51 PM

Why not Mach 2?

Old 11/12/09 | 12:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
Tell that to Ford. Ever heard of the Mercury Comet Caliente? It was a sportier Comet, though not quite a Cyclone. Anyway the point is that there is a precedent for Ford using Caliente to denote a sports model.
Yea, but my point is it would still drastically fail today...

"Ford: Mercury Comet - Caliente
Ford's Comet, was called "Caliente" throughout Mexico and held a moniker in the US. "Caliente" literally means "spicy" or "hot", but colloquially it is also used for either "horny" or "prostitute".

Ford introduced the Pinto in Brazil. After watching sales go nowhere, the company learned that "Pinto" is Brazilian slang for "tiny male genitals." Ford pried the nameplates off all of the cars and substituted them with "Corcel" which means horse.

Ford's Fiera doesn't do well either, since "fiera" means "ugly old woman"

and Ford's Cortina translated as "jalopy". "

Just cuz it has precedent- doesn't make it good...

Cuz that was all in all just a bad international naming era.
Personally I'd say mmmm.... there's a 0% of seeing a Mustang Caliente in my lifetime.
Old 11/12/09 | 12:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
Theres really no point in replacing it, and it will only cause confusion.
+2...
Old 11/12/09 | 04:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Why not Mach 2?

I think youre going too far!
Old 11/12/09 | 10:00 PM
Post *****

Don't be hatin! I the Mach 3
Old 11/12/09 | 10:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mustangmaniak2010
I think youre going too far!
94 Mustang in the background? lol
Old 11/13/09 | 12:52 PM
GT Member

FWIW, I doubt the GT moniker is going anywhere. Since 81, its built up too much goodwill and brand recognition in the marketplace. On the other hand, the recent Mach 1 SE's have connotated an upmarket, more $$$$ Mustang. That is what the perception would be for non-enthusiasts - Ford is leaving the "affordable" end of the market. That is a big part of what makes the Mustang so popular - you can get it relatively "cheep" and mod it to performance levels it would take 2x-3x the amount of money to buy off the lot.

I could see a GT as the base performance model, the Mach as a "build to whatever the demand is" next step. Bring back the Cobra ( old guy nostalgia, I think the GT500 was brought back more for connotations of Shelby-dom than anything else...) which still has a lot of meaning in the marketplace and a Cobra SVT or SVO as the "yeah, we can build that type of car as a Mustang) halo piece.

Now back to getting paid......
Old 11/13/09 | 01:35 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

That'll be worse than the Chevy Nova in Mexico ("No va" in Spanish means 'doesn't run') or Like when Colgate Toothpaste was first introduced to Spain. "Colga te" is a Spanish command telling you to literally "go hang yourself". Yea, Marketing didn't think these translations over too well...

lol
Yea, but my point is it would still drastically fail today...

"Ford: Mercury Comet - Caliente
Ford's Comet, was called "Caliente" throughout Mexico and held a moniker in the US. "Caliente" literally means "spicy" or "hot", but colloquially it is also used for either "horny" or "prostitute".

Ford introduced the Pinto in Brazil. After watching sales go nowhere, the company learned that "Pinto" is Brazilian slang for "tiny male genitals." Ford pried the nameplates off all of the cars and substituted them with "Corcel" which means horse.

Ford's Fiera doesn't do well either, since "fiera" means "ugly old woman"

and Ford's Cortina translated as "jalopy". "

Just cuz it has precedent- doesn't make it good...

Cuz that was all in all just a bad international naming era.
Personally I'd say mmmm.... there's a 0% of seeing a Mustang Caliente in my lifetime.

Old 11/16/09 | 12:51 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Red Jay
to me, the MACH1 is something thats rarely seen on the streets. u just dont see many like u do a GT or V6. if the MACH1 replaced the GT, then would the MACH1 still be considered a low production special edition if it were produced in as many units as the GT? i dont think so, if anyone ever got the idea, people might take the MACH1 parts (bumpers, badges, spoilers ect.) and replace them with the V6 parts and slap on some GT badges from a mustang of the past just to say they have a 'Mustang GT'. that would be so tacky and horrid.
The Mach has only been a low production special since 2003, all previous iterations where just standard models in a line of standard models. When you wanted a fully loaded Mustang with all the bells and whistles you got a Mach 1. Much worse in the Mustang II era, the Mach was (IIRC) a loaded V6 car with some vinyl stickers slapped on saying Mach 1.

Then again, in 1969 and 1970, a GT Mustang really didn't make sense with the Boss 302/429, Mach 1, and Shelby GT350/500 (which were essentially Mach 1's with some cosmetic work)
Old 11/16/09 | 07:51 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by bob
The Mach has only been a low production special since 2003, all previous iterations where just standard models in a line of standard models. When you wanted a fully loaded Mustang with all the bells and whistles you got a Mach 1. Much worse in the Mustang II era, the Mach was (IIRC) a loaded V6 car with some vinyl stickers slapped on saying Mach 1.
+1. A half-million Mach 1's were built from 1969-1978 - hardly a low production SE by any stretch of the imagination. I even owned one of the those lowly Mustang II Mach 1's ('75 2.8L V6, 4-speed manual, 3.55 gears). Fun car during its era (gas crisis, anyone?), but hardly a performer of any kind. I bought an '03 Mach 1 brand new and loved that car! My favorite Mach 1? The 1969 model year. Even that one wasn't limited production - 70K + of them were built and sold.

Bring back the Mach 1 name to replace the GT for a little while, keep the price about the same as the current GT, and nobody gets hurt.
Old 11/16/09 | 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah, it's plausible but highly unlikely. After all, the SVT Cobra was renamed GT500.
Old 11/16/09 | 09:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bob

Then again, in 1969 and 1970, a GT Mustang really didn't make sense with the Boss 302/429, Mach 1, and Shelby GT350/500 (which were essentially Mach 1's with some cosmetic work)
yeah, i had the 2003-2004 MACH1's in mind when i said that.

Last edited by Red Jay; 11/16/09 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11/16/09 | 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Forget Mustang Mach 1...etc., etc., let's call it the Mustang WARP 1 !

Quick Reply: End of the Mustang GT?