Sponsored By:

Electronics package/Nav system value

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/10, 02:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Electronics package/Nav system value

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGy0g...eature=related

Just a few questions regarding the Electronics Package. It doesn't matter if you chose nav or not. Feel free to contribute. If you have not used the system or are unfamiliar with the features please view the videos below. The videos are somewhat redundant but each show a bit of the system's configuration and features.

How much do you think the electronics package is worth (it is a $2200 option) - what price would you say makes it a fair deal for its capabilities?

Are you familiar with the system and to which extent - advanced user or just what you have seen in the videos?

Which features do you feel are missing and are the features offered on another manufacturer's vehicle? Feel free to post up a video.

Do you find it a very intuitive system?

Are the graphics rendered in high enough resolution?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DS_...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtIrQ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46eVG...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Mz6...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXCVs...eature=related
Old 10/16/10, 03:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the Nav is a good package and worth the money. I have a few complaints about it that I bring up every chance I get and hopefully someone from Ford will read this and say yeah he's right and fix it for next years model. My biggest complaint is I live and travel all over the globe and I bring my car with me. A Nav system that doesn't have maps of everyplace that has been mapped is just plain foolish to me. Ford really laid an egg on a otherwise great car. When I'm outside the USA I have to use my TOM TOM which pisses me off to no end. Another fact is lots of europeans drive Mustangs. In Germany alone there are several mustang clubs and they drive everything from 64.5 to '11 Mustangs. Ford should have made it easily upgradeable. Despite Mustang not being a european market car. Nevertheless I think the Nav is worth it and I like it overall. This isn't about me it's about you. If you want the Nav buy it, if you don't want it don't buy it. It's just plain wrong to talk **** about those who did, and those that didn't.
Old 10/16/10, 04:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
I think the Nav is a good package and worth the money. I have a few complaints about it that I bring up every chance I get and hopefully someone from Ford will read this and say yeah he's right and fix it for next years model. My biggest complaint is I live and travel all over the globe and I bring my car with me. A Nav system that doesn't have maps of everyplace that has been mapped is just plain foolish to me. Ford really laid an egg on a otherwise great car. When I'm outside the USA I have to use my TOM TOM which pisses me off to no end. Another fact is lots of europeans drive Mustangs. In Germany alone there are several mustang clubs and they drive everything from 64.5 to '11 Mustangs. Ford should have made it easily upgradeable. Despite Mustang not being a european market car. Nevertheless I think the Nav is worth it and I like it overall. This isn't about me it's about you. If you want the Nav buy it, if you don't want it don't buy it. It's just plain wrong to talk **** about those who did, and those that didn't.
As you know the mustang is not a "global vehicle" yet although it is privately and commonly exported to many countries around the world. The nav map issue has been fixed with the next generation touch screen/nav/multimedia interface. The MyFord Touch has navigation maps via SD cards and interchangeable between Ford Europe, USA, Austrailia, etc. This doesn't help us but my solution may work for you. I replied to your thread yesterday and sent you a PM.

Ford didn't exactly drop the ball on the Nav issue. Navteq, the map supplier will sell/provide rights for their map data for Europe alone for around $100K. Since Ford does not officially sell the vehicle over here they did not purchase the license for something that would essentially be a profit loss. Because after a year or two there will be a need to provide updates and that license agreement will constantly have to be paid or we will have outdated maps. I have worked with Ford Europe's Chief, In-Vehicle Communications as well as the same team in the USA to have this issue resolved.

As I understand there is the same issue for maps in Mexico. Can anyone from Canada chime in regarding map coverage? North America includes these countries so I was surprised that Mexico was not covered.

Link to solution: https://themustangsource.com/f803/up...en-nav-480911/

Last edited by eurocobra; 10/16/10 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10/16/10, 04:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Here is the MyFord Touch where Nav maps are optional SD cards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrLdMi_r7-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNwU4...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toZY_...eature=related

Last edited by eurocobra; 10/16/10 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10/16/10, 04:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eurocobra
As you know the mustang is not a "global vehicle" yet although it is privately and commonly exported to many countries around the world. The nav map issue has been fixed with the next generation touch screen/nav/multimedia interface. The MyFord Touch has navigation maps via SD cards and interchangeable between Ford Europe, USA, Austrailia, etc. This doesn't help us but my solution may work for you. I replied to your thread yesterday and sent you a PM.
Thank you very much. I'm happy about the Touch, now I have a another good reason to trade when the '14 comes out.

Ford didn't exactly drop the ball on the Nav issue. Navteq, the map supplier will sell/provide rights for their map data for Europe alone for around $100K. Since Ford does not officially sell the vehicle over here they did not purchase the license for something that would essentially be a profit loss. Because after a year or two there will be a need to provide updates and that license agreement will constantly have to be paid or we will have outdated maps. I have worked with Ford Europe's Chief, In-Vehicle Communications as well as the same team in the USA to have this issue resolved.
Thanks for posting and for conditioning my mind and body. I can understand Ford wanting to keep costs as low as possible and I appreciate that since I'm a stockholder.

As I understand there is the same issue for maps in Mexico. Can anyone from Canada chime in regarding map coverage? North America includes these countries so I was surprised that Mexico was not covered. .
I think Canada is covered, but I'm surprised to learn Mexico is not. Especially since we have NAFTA and so many people go there for vacations, weekend road trips, and family visits. If I'm not mistaken Ford has a plant in Mexico.
Old 10/16/10, 04:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

I really like that, too bad I can't retrofit.
Old 10/16/10, 05:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Anyone?? I will use the info as feedback direcly for the system engineers. I think that Ford is leading the way with infotainment innovations. Feature for feature I do not think the high end cars have more innovations and in-cabin technology.
Old 10/16/10, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My only complain so far is that is not easy to see the traffic indicator overlay. The indicators are drawn left & right of the road and I think the lines are too thin and the color a little dull. Also if I remember correctly when the map switches to night mode the road is drawn red. I think this color should be reserved to indicate bad traffic and/or accidents.

Other than that I absolutely love the NAV/SYNC system. The touch interface makes every task simple and intuitive.
Old 10/16/10, 08:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My only suggestion ...

Tell the Engineers to figure out a way to retrofit the NAV system into non-Nav cars ....

I bought my car off the lot without the Electronic Package but would love to retrofit it in ...

After doing some research it appears that if the car did not have it from the assembly line ... it cannot be installed afterwards and work ....

The Nav systems should be available for a reasonable price from Salvage Yards ... and it is also the same Nav system used in the F150 which makes it even more readily available.

If there IS a way to retrofit ... please post procedures and parts required.

Last edited by dmhines; 10/16/10 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10/16/10, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UN considers Mexico to be Central America.

http://www.nathangibbs.com/2007/06/1...ntral-america/

Wikipedia does not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_America

Others just don't know.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Mexico_...entral_America

My money says Ford's going to go with whichever faction results in them spending less money, which would be the UN's designation.

Take it for what it's worth. Personally, I consider Mexico to be part of Central America.
Old 10/17/10, 01:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
My only suggestion ...

Tell the Engineers to figure out a way to retrofit the NAV system into non-Nav cars ....

I bought my car off the lot without the Electronic Package but would love to retrofit it in ...

After doing some research it appears that if the car did not have it from the assembly line ... it cannot be installed afterwards and work ....

The Nav systems should be available for a reasonable price from Salvage Yards ... and it is also the same Nav system used in the F150 which makes it even more readily available.

If there IS a way to retrofit ... please post procedures and parts required.
For quite a few reasons it will not work. Mostly hardware and wiring harness related. It is not just adouble din radio in the dash. It is a touch screen panel and different "radio" module along with the other modules. The database with vehicles VIN information will also need to be changed. This is for support, recalls, and necessary replacement parts in the future. You do have the option to go aftermarket Nav and retain sync quite easy.
Old 10/17/10, 04:40 AM
GT Member

I have an '08 with the Nav radio, and I love it. I do wish map updates were less expensive, and I evny some of the newer features, but it has been a great and useful system.

My brother-in-law has a '10 with the Electronics package and it is fantastic. Not sure how he is supposed to get map updates, though. My only complaint is that the system seems to require audio CD's, only, for getting into the song library while most of us (even me in my '08) are playing mp3 files these days. The system is pricey, but worth it I think. Alas, few if any dealers in this area will order a car with such a system as it makes them too expensive compared to other dealers. Since you cannot retrofit, that means you can only get the electronics package if you are the initial orderer (as my brother-in-law was).

The only feature (and new ones keep getting invented) that the Mustang doesn't seem to have that I would like is a memory function for the seats. It takes forever to get back to the "sweet spot" after someone else has driven it.

=Vic=
Old 10/17/10, 08:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

For quite a few reasons it will not work. Mostly hardware and wiring harness related. It is not just adouble din radio in the dash. It is a touch screen panel and different "radio" module along with the other modules. The database with vehicles VIN information will also need to be changed. This is for support, recalls, and necessary replacement parts in the future. You do have the option to go aftermarket Nav and retain sync quite easy.

That is the typical answer.

If I pulled the parts from a wreck then why couldn't I swap. I already have sync and GPS. Is there something not plug and play?

Chrysler let's you add options to their products and the dealer will turn them
on using Starscan. And this includes having to update VIN database.

Now some upgrades are impossible due to unique wiring harnesses for different features. Does Ford use a unique dash harness for all 3 sound system options?
Old 10/17/10, 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
That is the typical answer.

If I pulled the parts from a wreck then why couldn't I swap. I already have sync and GPS. Is there something not plug and play?

Chrysler let's you add options to their products and the dealer will turn them
on using Starscan. And this includes having to update VIN database.

Now some upgrades are impossible due to unique wiring harnesses for different features. Does Ford use a unique dash harness for all 3 sound system options?
Yes the wiring harness is different. It even differs if the vehicle has ambient lighting. But this is not a show stopper. It's just easier for your vehicle to accept and integrate an aftermarket touchscreen nav while retaining your SYNC system and all features.

Some options are necessary with the nav system like dual zone climate control which require different wiring harness. There is also a hard drive, DVD player, and there is also firmware for the system that differs from your system firmware and re-programming has to be done. By the time you get everything sorted out it will be easier to just plug and play the aftermarket system.

Look at the videos in the first thread and see how different Travel Link is alone between the non nav and electronics package equipped systems. This is a different firmware between the two vehicles. If there is a camera it has to be integrated into the nav display.

If I had a desire to make my V6 develop 550HP it would be a bit of work to be done but probably an easier than attempting to replicate a Shelby GT500.

I have disassembled the system and I see that there is no easy way to do what you would like to do. I am also a technician on far more complicated systems and projects and personally I would just get the car equipped from the factory rather than attempting a retrofit. But if you need some help in the future send me a message.
Old 10/17/10, 10:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for the update ....

I bought my car off the lot back in Februrary ... 2010 deals were out there and I didn't want to order a 2011 ...

I had the opportunity to get either the 2010 in Sunset without Nav .... or the 2010 in Kona or Silver with Nav ... I decided to go with the Sunset Gold since it was more unique.

The Aftermarket NAV/GPS units are actually very nice ...and pretty much replace every SYNC function except for Vehicle Health.

Not too keen on the METRA solution for the 2010+ ... The SCOSCHE unit looks much nicer but has been vaporware since it's announcement ...

Yes the wiring harness is different. It even differs if the vehicle has ambient lighting. But this is not a show stopper. It's just easier for your vehicle to accept and integrate an aftermarket touchscreen nav while retaining your SYNC system and all features.

Some options are necessary with the nav system like dual zone climate control which require different wiring harness. There is also a hard drive, DVD player, and there is also firmware for the system that differs from your system firmware and re-programming has to be done. By the time you get everything sorted out it will be easier to just plug and play the aftermarket system.

Look at the videos in the first thread and see how different Travel Link is alone between the non nav and electronics package equipped systems. This is a different firmware between the two vehicles. If there is a camera it has to be integrated into the nav display.

If I had a desire to make my V6 develop 550HP it would be a bit of work to be done but probably an easier than attempting to replicate a Shelby GT500.

I have disassembled the system and I see that there is no easy way to do what you would like to do. I am also a technician on far more complicated systems and projects and personally I would just get the car equipped from the factory rather than attempting a retrofit. But if you need some help in the future send me a message.
Old 10/17/10, 10:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Beargap
I have an '08 with the Nav radio, and I love it. I do wish map updates were less expensive, and I evny some of the newer features, but it has been a great and useful system.

My brother-in-law has a '10 with the Electronics package and it is fantastic. Not sure how he is supposed to get map updates, though. My only complaint is that the system seems to require audio CD's, only, for getting into the song library while most of us (even me in my '08) are playing mp3 files these days. The system is pricey, but worth it I think. Alas, few if any dealers in this area will order a car with such a system as it makes them too expensive compared to other dealers. Since you cannot retrofit, that means you can only get the electronics package if you are the initial orderer (as my brother-in-law was).

The only feature (and new ones keep getting invented) that the Mustang doesn't seem to have that I would like is a memory function for the seats. It takes forever to get back to the "sweet spot" after someone else has driven it.

=Vic=
For map updates there is a disc that he will have to purchase from the Ford dealership or call the 1 800 number. All of that info is listed in the manual as well as in the system settings including map version etc.

Regarding the music library, correct you can only rip CDs to the internal hard drive. The CD/DVD player will play MP3s all day and all night. Alternatively just connect an ipod, zune, or memory stick with 10GB (or more) of MP3s and not only will it play them music you can even control the device with voice control and also view a library listing of the songs.

Let me know if you need some help. Refer him to the videos in the first post (and users manual for more details regarding features).

www.syncmyride.com is also full of info, tips, tricks, how-to videos etc.

Last edited by eurocobra; 10/17/10 at 10:05 AM.