2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Electronics Package??

Search this Thread

Old 5/14/12, 02:03 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont like how the aftermarket double din units place the screen at the bottom. Doesnt look right to me. I know I could modify the non-nav dash and custom rig something but that looks like a lot of hassle. This is one of the reasons I decided to go with the EP.
Old 5/14/12, 02:16 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine's a daily driver so I use it all the time. Like I said before the touch screen is nice and the display is much bigger than a phone. I have an iPhone 4 and it has worked perfectly. The hard drive is just extra storage granted, but again the titles and info is a nice feature. Aftermarket interface with sync is a pain and while you can get an aftermarket system that looks good you really don't save much in the end.

Even a 1500 difference when you just bought a 30-40k mustang really isn't that much when you think about it. In monthly payment terms its nothing.

An aftermarket system also doesn't have all the interface with the car like the a/c.

Lastly, my wife had a JVC unit put in her Enclave and the GUI was terrible compared to the ford unit.

Anyone know who makes the unit for Ford?
Old 5/14/12, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
What does the "pandora" part do?
Pandora could be described as "customized online radio." Essentially, it is a website where you can program your own "radio stations" by selecting certain artists and the program will then select music that it thinks you will like based on the artists you pick. If you aren't sure whether or not you would like, it you can try it from any computer for free. (www.pandora.com or google "pandora radio".) I like to listen to Pandora when I'm relaxing at home, but I've never listened to it while driving, even though I have it on my smart phone.
Old 5/14/12, 02:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadowFox
It's not uninformed or lazy. It's true, and it's an opinion so good luck proving me wrong. I've seen ONE aftermarket HU I've liked in a car.

Dynavin android. Only in the E46.
Originally Posted by 12GTCS
Aftermarket interface with sync is a pain and while you can get an aftermarket system that looks good you really don't save much in the end.

Even a 1500 difference when you just bought a 30-40k mustang really isn't that much when you think about it. In monthly payment terms its nothing.

An aftermarket system also doesn't have all the interface with the car like the a/c.
So much BS I dont know where to start.
Old 5/14/12, 03:28 PM

I have it in my Raptor love it. I will be ordering it in my mustang. I won't get another car without it. Way worth the extra money. I don't use the actual Nav as much as I love having a live map in front of me all the time. Like the sirus travel link. Updates on the weather and gas prices is nice.
Old 5/14/12, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
CD's aren't going anywhere anytime soon and the price is only a couple weeks pay after taxes.
Exactly.

Everyone's justification in this thread for NOT getting the EC package reminds me of the same class of advice that says to kick tires to determine road worthiness or any other old wive's tale.

Anyone that says they're not gonna 'use it' perhaps hasn't driven the latest crop of luxury cars. Once you have it you never want to go back without it. Your phone for nav? Haha - try that and an integrated system in a panic situation and see which one works better for you.

The only true justification is either the car is destined for full racing where as weight is the most important factor, dealers around you just do not order the package (doubt it), or you just couldn't afford the extra payments.

Again, if anyone purchasing a new mustang is even remotely interested or possibly interested in an in-dash display in the future, GET the EC. Go aftermarket and it is only downhill from there.
Old 5/14/12, 03:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
Exactly.

Everyone's justification in this thread for NOT getting the EC package reminds me of the same class of advice that says to kick tires to determine road worthiness or any other old wive's tale.

Anyone that says they're not gonna 'use it' perhaps hasn't driven the latest crop of luxury cars. Once you have it you never want to go back without it. Your phone for nav? Haha - try that and an integrated system in a panic situation and see which one works better for you.

The only true justification is either the car is destined for full racing where as weight is the most important factor, dealers around you just do not order the package (doubt it), or you just couldn't afford the extra payments.

Again, if anyone purchasing a new mustang is even remotely interested or possibly interested in an in-dash display in the future, GET the EC. Go aftermarket and it is only downhill from there.
I had the Electronics package in my 2010 GT Premium so i think I am more than qualified to state an opinion. For me, my car is a weekend warrior and not a daily driver. For me, I didn't really use my "Dual Zone" climate control nor did I really use the heated seats (Florida). Also, I found many times where my Nav sucked and was way off or had to travel on roads that were not on it. When I enquired to Ford I was told I had to wait till the new Updates came out on disc.... they aren't cheap. For me..considering how I use the car.. it wasn't worth the cost. All i need is sync to connect with my Android phone and my iPod and I'm good. I'll still have Navigation with Sync on the 2013 and with my android phone. After having the Boss 302 for almost year I realized I never used all those features of the "Electronics Package and the only feature I really missed was Sync and bluetooth.
Old 5/14/12, 03:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
So much BS I dont know where to start.
One man's BS is another man's opinion.... Some might think your opinions are BS as well
Old 5/14/12, 04:02 PM
Cobra Member

Ill stick to the garmin stuck to the front windshield, but thats just me! Nothing wrong with the ford unit, just a personal preference
Old 5/14/12, 04:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by sampey43
Ill stick to the garmin stuck to the front windshield, but thats just me! Nothing wrong with the ford unit, just a personal preference
^^^ Bingo ^^^
Old 5/14/12, 04:20 PM
GT Member

When I first saw the electronics package, I thought it was a glorified Nav system. It came with the car I bought but I might not have ordered it. However, I have been pleasantly surprised. I rarely use the Nav but everything else is really cool. I love being able to customize the screen with personal photos. The best feature is the ability to burn a cd into the system and create your own jukebox. I never carry cd's anymore. I either use my iPod that is velcroed into the consol or the jukebox. Travel Link is a nice feature as well. It also has the best voice activated system I have encountered, much better than my wife's Honda Odyssey. Can you duplicate many of the features in some way, perhaps? But to have everything built into the car gives it a "James Bond" feel. Very cutting edge. It may not be worth it to some people, but for me it definitely steps the Mustang up to a higher level. I am really impressed with Ford on the technology front.
Old 5/14/12, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DrDisney
When I first saw the electronics package, I thought it was a glorified Nav system. It came with the car I bought but I might not have ordered it. However, I have been pleasantly surprised. I rarely use the Nav but everything else is really cool. I love being able to customize the screen with personal photos. The best feature is the ability to burn a cd into the system and create your own jukebox. I never carry cd's anymore. I either use my iPod that is velcroed into the consol or the jukebox. Travel Link is a nice feature as well. It also has the best voice activated system I have encountered, much better than my wife's Honda Odyssey. Can you duplicate many of the features in some way, perhaps? But to have everything built into the car gives it a "James Bond" feel. Very cutting edge. It may not be worth it to some people, but for me it definitely steps the Mustang up to a higher level. I am really impressed with Ford on the technology front.
Old 5/14/12, 04:49 PM
V6 Member

Here's what I did to determine if I wanted the Electronics Package. Two years ago I was due for a phone upgrade. I had to chose between a basic phone or a smartphone. Just like people have said here; I thought I would never EVER need a smartphone. I decided to get the iPhone for whatever reason. Now that I have it, I will never go back to a basic phone. Same deal with the electronics package. You think you don't need it until you realize how nice it is to have one.
Old 5/14/12, 04:50 PM
GT Member

No need to hate. He asked for our opinions we offered them. You don't have to agree...
Old 5/14/12, 06:39 PM
V6 Member

I just picked up my 2013 GT tonight and didn't get the Electronics Package. I test drove a 2012 GT without Nav before I ordered my car, so I never got to see the EP features. I probably would have purchased it had I seen it but I opted for the Glass Roof instead since I knew I'd miss a sunroof. Might I regret it down the line? Sure! But for now I love my new car and that glass roof is awesome.
Old 5/14/12, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smiley
I just picked up my 2013 GT tonight and didn't get the Electronics Package.
RETURN IT IMMEDIATELY!!!! J/k
Old 5/14/12, 07:51 PM
GT Member

I've had aftermarket in dash nav in every vehicle I've owned since they first became available. There are some great aftermarket systems now, but they just don't look right in the Mustang since they have to go so low on the dash and the install kits are a little on the cheesy side for my taste.

The OEM nav looks great and is integrated into every system on the car just about. It actually works really well, and being able to voice command the climate controls is awesome. The dual zone climate controls were an absolutely necessity with the gf, too. LOL

There are some downsides, like there's no EQ function, just tone controls, no direct Ipod control, and you have to spend another $250 to unlock it and get rid of all those grayed out options while moving, but overall it makes the car feel much more high-end and I'm glad we got it.
Old 5/14/12, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2012WhiteGT
I've had aftermarket in dash nav in every vehicle I've owned since they first became available. There are some great aftermarket systems now, but they just don't look right in the Mustang since they have to go so low on the dash and the install kits are a little on the cheesy side for my taste.

The OEM nav looks great and is integrated into every system on the car just about. It actually works really well, and being able to voice command the climate controls is awesome. The dual zone climate controls were an absolutely necessity with the gf, too. LOL

There are some downsides, like there's no EQ function, just tone controls, no direct Ipod control, and you have to spend another $250 to unlock it and get rid of all those grayed out options while moving, but overall it makes the car feel much more high-end and I'm glad we got it.
What do you mean by "direct iPod control"?
Old 5/15/12, 06:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JPMotorSport

I *have* driven the new crop of luxury cars. Most of the interfaces for navigating the nav suck. But we aren't talking about luxury cars or other brands, we're talking about the Ford Mustang. You say "Once you have it you never want to go back without it." Well, I have it in mine, and as I related earlier, I won't ever order a car with it again.

It's called personal preference for a reason. I prefer it without the navigation, based on real-life experience with the system and how I use it. Don't get me wrong, having the weather, traffic updates, movie times, etc was freaking cool, but I didn't renew the subscription when it was time because I just didn't use Sirius Travelink enough to justify it.
Old 5/15/12, 07:41 AM
GT Member

I think the electronics package is pretty cool but...

I've had a Garmin for years - it works great and I love it and I use it maybe a couple of times a month. Plus, early nav systems in old cars look dated now and I plan to keep this car for a long, long time. Electronics package is more hardware to potentially break and expense to fix. My rationale for picking options was this: if it was FREE, would I want it? After I got to the premium trim level there weren't really many options I really wanted - even if they had been included for FREE. To me this is a weekend, sunny weather, fun toy car. To each their own, lots of the fun of these cars is "making it your own" and many might want that slick, integrated system with all the bells and whistles. All those extra luxury amenities are not what a Mustang is TO ME. I wanted basic go-fast fun in my Mustang so I opted NOT to get the electronics package.

Quick Reply: Electronics Package??