2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Electronics Package??

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/12, 08:25 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electronics Package??

Hi,
I'm looking at getting a mustang with the Electronics package. Can anyone tell me a) is it worth the extra money? and b) is there a difference between these systems in the 2011 Shelby GT500, 2012 Shelby GT500, or the 2013 GT Premium? or are they the same.

thanks
Chris
Old 5/13/12, 09:06 PM
GT Member

Looked like the same as my friends' platinum f150 nav.
Old 5/13/12, 09:07 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by emba129
Hi,
I'm looking at getting a mustang with the Electronics package. Can anyone tell me a) is it worth the extra money? and b) is there a difference between these systems in the 2011 Shelby GT500, 2012 Shelby GT500, or the 2013 GT Premium? or are they the same.

thanks
Chris
The answers are:
A) yes
B) yes
Old 5/13/12, 09:27 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well worth the cash. Tons of features (hard drive, sync, adj display) great nav system, the apps access to pandora is great, and the touch screen looks much better than the little screen and a bunch of buttons.

Don't know if there is a difference between years though...
Old 5/13/12, 09:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 12GTCS
Don't know if there is a difference between years though...
2010-2011 Nav doesn't have AppLink which allows for the Pandora interface.

Seriously I concur with everyone above. If you are at all interested in a decent in dash nav display nothing tops the Ford OEM piece. Best get it now (along with HIDs!) while it's warrantied with the car if you are buying new.
Old 5/14/12, 07:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess I'll be the one voice of discontent. I have the electronics pkg on my current 2011. Granted, it's different from the pkg you get on the 2013 (applink), but I will not be getting the nav package on any car ever again. With sync and my android phone I get navigation (with FREE updates of the maps, for life) and music (pandora, shoutcast radio, mp3 playback off the phone). I never once used the on board hard drive for anything.

So basically, I was suckered in by the coolness factor. This was the first car I've ever ordered; I won't be making that mistake again.
Old 5/14/12, 08:48 AM

I ordered my first Mustang a couple of weeks ago and opted to NOT get the electronics package. Some of the features certainly seem pretty cool, and it would be nice to have these features built into the car. But, to me, the cost did not seem justified. I use a Sat/Nav system a couple of times a year at most. I have Sat/Nav built into my android phone, and if I want a bigger display, for a hundred bucks or so, I can get a Garmin.

The question is do you think it's worth it for you? How much are you going to use the Nav System and Pandora and the hard drive? How much of an inconvenience is it for you to carry a separate GPS, iPod and/or Smart Phone? For me, the cost was not justified. If I were a traveling sales exec. and used the Nav System every day and spent a lot more time in my car, my response might be different.
Old 5/14/12, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad I got mine. Yes, it's quite expensive, but I figured I'm building my dream car and I'll probably keep the car for 7-14 years so I want to get it the way I want. Besides the better-known features of the Electronics Package, it comes with dual-zone automatic climate control. My wife and I often like to have it set for different temperatures, so that's a nice bonus.
Old 5/14/12, 09:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ixamnis
I ordered my first Mustang a couple of weeks ago and opted to NOT get the electronics package. Some of the features certainly seem pretty cool, and it would be nice to have these features built into the car. But, to me, the cost did not seem justified. I use a Sat/Nav system a couple of times a year at most. I have Sat/Nav built into my android phone, and if I want a bigger display, for a hundred bucks or so, I can get a Garmin.

The question is do you think it's worth it for you? How much are you going to use the Nav System and Pandora and the hard drive? How much of an inconvenience is it for you to carry a separate GPS, iPod and/or Smart Phone? For me, the cost was not justified. If I were a traveling sales exec. and used the Nav System every day and spent a lot more time in my car, my response might be different.
Thats exactly what i was thinking! How much use are you going to get out the $2,000 plus option! Personally me, and this is just me, the longest i ever drove my mustang was to panama city from new orleans and thst was too long!! Im buying a mustang for the looks and power, nothing else!!
Old 5/14/12, 09:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on if this is a daily driver / traveling car or a weekend warrior. I opted to NOT get the optioned out car and get the basics with go fast goodies because she is my week-end warrior...
Old 5/14/12, 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What does the "pandora" part do?

I've read through some threads here from folks that were disapointed with the map updates (or lack of them) for the NAV system. Other than that, it seems to be a 50/50 vote on it in the past. Me personally, I'd prefer to have the NAV system built into a nice, large screen such as the factory option; the old maps would not be a dissatisfaction for me, as I use major highways rather than local streets when I need map assistance.
Old 5/14/12, 10:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Depends on if this is a daily driver / traveling car or a weekend warrior. I opted to NOT get the optioned out car and get the basics with go fast goodies because she is my week-end warrior...
Agree!!! Put the money towards some muscle!!
Old 5/14/12, 12:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm cool with my NAV. I just wish I could have got it with a sub.
Old 5/14/12, 12:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
I'm cool with my NAV. I just wish I could have got it with a sub.
You wanted a sandwich with the EP?
Old 5/14/12, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
You wanted a sandwich with the EP?
Glad I ordered the EP. I like subs! Both kinds
Old 5/14/12, 12:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I did not get it b/c it is so overpriced. You can get an aftermarket kit for a bunch less if you really want touch screen. Youd only lose dual climate control but I have zero need for that. And the hard drive, from what I understand, can only be filled with CD rips. How much longer will CDs be around? And the nav updates, which come every two years from what Ive read, cost more than my GPS. I was going to switch out my head unit right away but Im loving the Shaker/Sync as is right now. Voice-activated, Bluetooth wireless streaming, HD radio, steering wheel controls, etc. Maybe down the road when I get bored, but glad I saved all that $ in the meantime.
Old 5/14/12, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wheelman
I did not get it b/c it is so overpriced. You can get an aftermarket kit for a bunch less if you really want touch screen. Youd only lose dual climate control but I have zero need for that. And the hard drive, from what I understand, can only be filled with CD rips. How much longer will CDs be around? And the nav updates, which come every two years from what Ive read, cost more than my GPS. I was going to switch out my head unit right away but Im loving the Shaker/Sync as is right now. Voice-activated, Bluetooth wireless streaming, HD radio, steering wheel controls, etc. Maybe down the road when I get bored, but glad I saved all that $ in the meantime.
CD's aren't going anywhere anytime soon and the price is only a couple weeks pay after taxes.
Old 5/14/12, 12:43 PM
GT Member

Can't stand the look of an aftermarket system. The factory nav fits in perfectly with the car because it was designed to. The aftermarket navs are designed to fit in a bunch of cars.
Old 5/14/12, 12:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

CD's aren't going anywhere anytime soon and the price is only a couple weeks pay after taxes.
In your life maybe! The rest of the world is advancing. And a couple weeks pay = some nice mods...performance mods.
Originally Posted by ShadowFox
Can't stand the look of an aftermarket system. The factory nav fits in perfectly with the car because it was designed to. The aftermarket navs are designed to fit in a bunch of cars.
No, theyre really not. You speak like there's one option out there. A blanket all-aftermarket-systems-look-like-crap statement is uninformed and lazy.

Last edited by wheelman; 5/14/12 at 12:58 PM.
Old 5/14/12, 02:00 PM
GT Member

It's not uninformed or lazy. It's true, and it's an opinion so good luck proving me wrong. I've seen ONE aftermarket HU I've liked in a car.

Dynavin android. Only in the E46.

Quick Reply: Electronics Package??