Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is it easy to switch HID headlights to the round headlights on a 2011 or 2012 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/15, 02:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Don't be "that guy" with the HID bulbs in reflectors.
Old 5/13/15, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by featurecar50
I am interested in purchasing a 2011 or 2012 Mustang GT Convertible. Most of the ones that I am finding have the HID headlights. I like the looks of the old school round lights better than the HIDs. Is it a simple install to switch them out ? Any modifications ?

Thanks in advance

Agreed. I do not like the HID. Osram Night Breaker Unlimited. My ST Focus throw more beam than my 2012 BBP OEM HID system. I do not like the way they look. I don't care what OTHERS do. I will be contacting http://www.starkey-products.com/contact-us

.....also SME in lighting photonics below --

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

I like the old school BOSS 302 OEM lights. End of story.

Last edited by brembo12; 5/13/15 at 07:32 PM.
Old 5/14/15, 01:05 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by brembo12
Agreed. I do not like the HID. Osram Night Breaker Unlimited. My ST Focus throw more beam than my 2012 BBP OEM HID system. I do not like the way they look. I don't care what OTHERS do. I will be contacting http://www.starkey-products.com/contact-us

.....also SME in lighting photonics below --

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

I like the old school BOSS 302 OEM lights. End of story.
There you go OP... now there's 2 of you that actually prefer halogen lighting for some reason.

You guys should work on retrofitting your headlights together.
Old 5/15/15, 07:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah...OEM HIDs are vastly better headlights...but I couldn't possibly agree more with the OP.

The stock Halogens are more than good enough and they fit the styling of the car perfectly (to my personal taste). I gleefully skipped that option when ordering my car.

Nothing against you guys who prefer the look of the HIDs...it's totally subjective, of course.
Old 5/15/15, 07:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
I think without the GT grille and fog lamps, the HID's make the car look cross-eyed. I take back my stance on the HID's (not that anyone cares lol). They look good with the stock GT bumper and fog lamps

better:
Old 5/15/15, 08:40 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Yeah, yeah, yeah...OEM HIDs are vastly better headlights...but I couldn't possibly agree more with the OP.

The stock Halogens are more than good enough and they fit the styling of the car perfectly (to my personal taste). I gleefully skipped that option when ordering my car.

Nothing against you guys who prefer the look of the HIDs...it's totally subjective, of course.
Ok, so now there's 3 of you who like halogens

hahaha kidding Mike! But yes, you're right, in the end it's all subjective. Kindda like religious wars that have waged over centuries! Millions of deaths, all because people are trying to prove who has the bigger/better imaginary friend than the other!
Old 5/15/15, 09:09 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Perhaps it would be easier to just find a 11-12 stang that already has the halogens that were factory installed.

Since the HIDs were an upgrade in those years I would think most of the cars came with halogens.
Old 5/15/15, 10:26 AM
SVS
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Don't be "that guy" with the HID bulbs in reflectors.

I have a Shop that helped me with my Stereo and the owner wants me install HID.s. We already installed LED's in the middle fog lamps, which look good and are much brighter.

Can you tell me what you mean by don't install HID's in reflectors? I'm guessing that's what I'd be doing ---, I want to hear the pro and con's from Mustang owners...

My front end, non HID lights:

Old 5/15/15, 11:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
... Kindda like religious wars that have waged over centuries! Millions of deaths, all because people are trying to prove who has the bigger/better imaginary friend than the other!

prexactly
Old 5/15/15, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SVS
I have a Shop that helped me with my Stereo and the owner wants me install HID.s. We already installed LED's in the middle fog lamps, which look good and are much brighter.

Can you tell me what you mean by don't install HID's in reflectors? I'm guessing that's what I'd be doing ---, I want to hear the pro and con's from Mustang owners...
Nobody has a problem with installing HID headlights in any car as long as you do it properly. The problem is when someone installs one of those cheap "conversion" kits that merely replace the halogen bulb with an HID capsule in the original reflector headlight housing. A proper HID upgrade involves replacing (or modifying) the entire headlight so that it has the proper projector lens instead of a reflector. This is usually significantly more expensive than the conversion kits but results in a light projection pattern that gives the most effective lighting for the driver and does not blind others with the unwanted glare and light scatter that is inevitable when HIDs are installed in a halogen housing.

It doesn't matter how many people claim that it works fine if you get capped HID capsules or if you aim the lights downward enough or that they have specially designed HID capsules made for halogen housings - it's all BS. There is no way to beat the physics... HIDs installed in halogen reflector housings WILL cause light scatter and glare - it's unavoidable.

So as someone already commented - don't be one of those guys (the ones who don't care and just blind other drivers because it was a cheap "upgrade").
Old 5/15/15, 11:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Halogens are nice. HID's are nicer. I rather be able to see in the dark over the integrity of the cars stance.

TOTALLY agree though. HID conversion kits can be a nightmare if you try to cheap out and take the easy road.
Old 5/15/15, 08:25 PM
SVS
V6 Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Nobody has a problem with installing HID headlights in any car as long as you do it properly. The problem is when someone installs one of those cheap "conversion" kits that merely replace the halogen bulb with an HID capsule in the original reflector headlight housing. A proper HID upgrade involves replacing (or modifying) the entire headlight so that it has the proper projector lens instead of a reflector. This is usually significantly more expensive than the conversion kits but results in a light projection pattern that gives the most effective lighting for the driver and does not blind others with the unwanted glare and light scatter that is inevitable when HIDs are installed in a halogen housing.

It doesn't matter how many people claim that it works fine if you get capped HID capsules or if you aim the lights downward enough or that they have specially designed HID capsules made for halogen housings - it's all BS. There is no way to beat the physics... HIDs installed in halogen reflector housings WILL cause light scatter and glare - it's unavoidable.

So as someone already commented - don't be one of those guys (the ones who don't care and just blind other drivers because it was a cheap "upgrade").
Thank you for the thoughtful explanation, good points.