Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Easiest Way to Remove Center Caps

Search this Thread

Old 5/14/13, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easiest Way to Remove Center Caps

What is the easiest way to remove the stock wheel center caps without marring them and without taking the wheel off? I am replacing them with spinners I think. BTW..does anyone have one for sale to replace the one I screwed up?
Old 5/14/13, 02:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by elkk
What is the easiest way to remove the stock wheel center caps without marring them and without taking the wheel off? I am replacing them with spinners I think. BTW..does anyone have one for sale to replace the one I screwed up?
Get behind the wheel and push from the inside. I know that involves taking off the wheel but it's the safest way.
Old 5/14/13, 02:51 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde

Get behind the wheel and push from the inside. I know that involves taking off the wheel but it's the safest way.
This^
Old 5/14/13, 02:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
small suction cup or get a thin knife blade between the cap and the wheel and pry carefully
Old 5/15/13, 06:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bones302
small suction cup or get a thin knife blade between the cap and the wheel and pry carefully
I tried Velcro and only managed to pull the black off from around the pony which bent and destroyed the cap. I hate the thought of removing each wheel for such a simple task. There has to be a easier safe way.
Old 5/15/13, 06:32 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I tried Velcro and only managed to pull the black off from around the pony which bent and destroyed the cap. I hate the thought of removing each wheel for such a simple task. There has to be a easier safe way.
But the wheels are so easy to take off...
Old 5/15/13, 06:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
In the time you've spent thinking and posting about this, you could have done it. Swapping my summer to winter wheels in my driveway, one wheel at a time with a floor jack/torque wrench, takes me less than 30 minutes.
Old 5/15/13, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
In the time you've spent thinking and posting about this, you could have done it. Swapping my summer to winter wheels in my driveway, one wheel at a time with a floor jack/torque wrench, takes me less than 30 minutes.
Yea you are right, I'm just a tired old man so it'll take me longer, but I do have all the proper tools and equipment. Was just hoping there was a short cut I hadn't thought of. Thanks.
Old 5/15/13, 07:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wheels must be removed for satisfactory results......So......

Have the tires balanced.......and be sure the caps are adjusted as you want them.

Have your kids/grandkids do it with your supervision.

Pay neighbors kid.

Last edited by AzPete; 5/15/13 at 11:13 AM.
Old 5/15/13, 07:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume they are hard to get off without removing wheel to prevent them from getting stolen.
Old 5/15/13, 09:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Try using fishing line - loop it around the cap where the cap meets the wheel, and tighten the loop. once the fishing line is under the lip of the cap, pull straight out.

I don't know if this will work, but the attempt is not likely to damage either the cap or the wheel.
Old 5/15/13, 10:35 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by jsimmons
Try using fishing line - loop it around the cap where the cap meets the wheel, and tighten the loop. once the fishing line is under the lip of the cap, pull straight out.

I don't know if this will work, but the attempt is not likely to damage either the cap or the wheel.
this actually sounds plausible. as long as the line dont break. some of those caps really hold in there
Old 5/15/13, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
this actually sounds plausible. as long as the line dont break. some of those caps really hold in there
I've used heavy test flyline for things like this. Tie it tight with several granny knots. Works good for pulling teeth too.
Old 5/17/13, 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

The easiest way is to get some Scotch fasteners, put them on the center cap, then pull off the fastener with a pair of pliers. No need to take the wheels off.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...v8QYR9jaeG7ToA
Old 5/17/13, 04:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mrp5150
The easiest way is to get some Scotch fasteners, put them on the center cap, then pull off the fastener with a pair of pliers. No need to take the wheels off.
Thanks but this does not work on the 2014 standard 18" center cap. It did pull of the black plastic around the Pony, thereby destroying the cap. I did finally remove each wheel one by painful one and knocked them out from the back.

Fishing line would not begin the fit between the wheel and the cap..although it was a good idea.
Old 5/17/13, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks but this does not work on the 2014 standard 18" center cap. It did pull of the black plastic around the Pony, thereby destroying the cap. I did finally remove each wheel one by painful one and knocked them out from the back.

Fishing line would not begin the fit between the wheel and the cap..although it was a good idea.
Bill, how do you physically feel after pulling all those wheels? I gave my "Lola Mae" her first hand washing and detailed waxing yesterday. Lemme tell ya, I was exhausted last night. But today, I feel like I've gained some body strength after that lengthy task. So much so, I'll be washing and hand waxing Mom's '01 Grand Marquis LS on Monday. I hate getting old, but the Marquis needs protection from the rays. Lola Mae is priority in regard to garage space.
Old 5/17/13, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss
Bill, how do you physically feel after pulling all those wheels? I gave my "Lola Mae" her first hand washing and detailed waxing yesterday. Lemme tell ya, I was exhausted last night. But today, I feel like I've gained some body strength after that lengthy task. So much so, I'll be washing and hand waxing Mom's '01 Grand Marquis LS on Monday. I hate getting old, but the Marquis needs protection from the rays. Lola Mae is priority in regard to garage space.
Hi Bill. I will feel better tomorrow after I get her washed and dried. Still resting up from wheel episode and installing the side scoops too.