2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Dyno'd

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/10, 09:46 PM
eci
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skotty
Are corrections made for the final drive ratio?
No.

This is why comparing dynos is useless BS and I hate that people do it. A dyno is used to measure a car against itself after modding. That's it.

The true measure of HP/TQ is the track.
Old 3/24/10, 09:47 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Fazm
except if they have a boss 302 thats rated at 450 or so, why would you buy it.
Because there is a hell of a lot more to a car than HP. Not everyone is a dyno queen.
Old 3/24/10, 09:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eci
How is discussing differeing dynos and incorrect dyno testing procedures negative?

Geez.

The difference between here and Camaro 5 is they are all fanboys. I like to think that here, we talk about reality.
I call things pretty straight up. I wasn't talking about you specifically but now that you mention it you've never had what I'd call a positive style of writing and your comments regarding fail and useless numbers sounded pretty negative to me. Sorry my take on this and regarding Fanboys, I've owned a 68 Firebird, 80 Z28, and a 94 GT among other cars so I'm pretty grounded in reality here. I don't pull numbers out of my rectum and usually research my posts before posting. The Camaro community in general has been pretty arrogant IMHO and I'm enjoying the changes. I think the Challenger is the best looking car but it weighs too much. The Camaro has good performance but I don't like the style or the interior. The Mustang is the best deal for me.
Old 3/24/10, 09:51 PM
Cobra R Member

like paying for a name
Old 3/24/10, 09:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eci
Fail.

Numbers are useless. Someone email them.

I wonder how many magazines and reviews are going to fail by dynoing it in 4th, assuming that gear is 1:1. It would be safe to subtract 30 - 40 HP from the numbers they obtained in 4th if you ran it 5th as you should.
Nice catch. I totally missed that reading the article. I can only hope(for their sake) they meant 5th and didn't actually dyno it in 4th. Probably wishful thinking. Other than that, it sounds great. Really strong, a little tame, but strong. Aftermarket should take care of that. Borla's or Bassani's should sound amazing.
Old 3/24/10, 09:52 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I beleive ford underrates all there engines slightly, ever since the 1999 Cobra problem, now everything has dynoed where no one doubts the car makes atleast what is advertised.
Old 3/24/10, 09:53 PM
Cobra R Member

i said it was in the wrong gear even before, guess cuz i dont have a huge sig or avatar pic people dont notice lol

8:15
dynoed in the wrong gear huh?
8:32
Originally Posted by eci
Fail.

Numbers are useless. Someone email them.

I wonder how many magazines and reviews are going to fail by dynoing it in 4th, assuming that gear is 1:1. It would be safe to subtract 30 - 40 HP from the numbers they obtained in 4th if you ran it 5th as you should.

Last edited by Fazm; 3/24/10 at 09:54 PM.
Old 3/24/10, 09:54 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by 1trickpony
I call things pretty straight up. I wasn't talking about you specifically but now that you mention it you've never had what I'd call a positive style of writing and your comments regarding fail and useless numbers sounded pretty negative to me. Sorry my take on this and regarding Fanboys, I've owned a 68 Firebird, 80 Z28, and a 94 GT among other cars so I'm pretty grounded in reality here. I don't pull numbers out of my rectum and usually research my posts before posting. The Camaro community in general has been pretty arrogant IMHO and I'm enjoying the changes. I think the Challenger is the best looking car but it weighs too much. The Camaro has good performance but I don't like the style or the interior. The Mustang is the best deal for me.
I'm sorry you don't like my "writing style". I am a straight shooter. The Mustang should beat the Camaro easy, it has the power/weight advantage. This dyno test is just a crock. I don't want misinformation out there making people think Mustang fans are liars and cheaters. We want correct, accurate info out there or anything we say will be called into question. Already everyone is posting comments over there like " LoL d00d, it HAs More Hp thNA CamAro1!" when it doesn't. It makes us look stupid.

Last edited by eci; 3/24/10 at 09:55 PM.
Old 3/24/10, 09:56 PM
eci
Banned

i said it was in the wrong gear even before, guess cuz i dont have a huge sig or avatar pic people dont notice lol

8:15

8:32
I didn't notice, lol. You can just watch the vid and know the gear is wrong. It got to redline as fast as a car with 700 HP.
Old 3/24/10, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eci
How is discussing differing dynos and incorrect dyno testing procedures negative?

Geez.

The difference between here and Camaro 5 is they are all fanboys. I like to think that here, we talk about reality. The engine isn't making 450HP. What does Ford have to gain by under rating? NOTHING. If the engine made 450, you bet they'd advertise it!

I had a dyno operator run my G8 in 3rd instead of 4th on the first pull by mistake. It measured 335 in 3rd and 301 in 4th.
The only reason I can think of for not advertising 450, I'm thinking 430 by the way, is their leaving marketing room for the Boss. Ford markets the Boss with 450 HP but Ford only adds 20 HP to the engine. She'll still lay down 395 on a dyno so there's no lawsuits like the 99 Cobra.
Old 3/24/10, 10:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only reason I can think of for not advertising 450, I'm thinking 430 by the way, is their leaving marketing room for the Boss. Ford markets the Boss with 450 HP but Ford only adds 20 HP to the engine. She'll still lay down 395 on a dyno so there's no lawsuits like the 99 Cobra.
It's not a marketing gimick. If the pull wasn't done in 5th gear on an '11, the numbers are useless for comparison.

4th gear is 1:1 on the 05-10 cars, but on the '11 transmission, 5th gear is 1:1 ratio.

AT ANY RATE, I still plan on picking up a slightly-used 5.0.
Old 3/24/10, 10:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eci
I'm sorry you don't like my "writing style". I am a straight shooter. The Mustang should beat the Camaro easy, it has the power/weight advantage. This dyno test is just a crock. I don't want misinformation out there making people think Mustang fans are liars and cheaters. We want correct, accurate info out there or anything we say will be called into question. Already everyone is posting comments over there like " LoL d00d, it HAs More Hp thNA CamAro1!" when it doesn't. It makes us look stupid.
There's merit to what you're saying and I agree the numbers are "high" compared with other dynos. I would say based on how the guy wrote it up it sounds like the 5.0 laid down some good numbers at the track to go with dyno session.
Old 3/24/10, 10:04 PM
eci
Banned

Power to weight would make me think 12.7ish @ 110 if the car hooked off the line.
Old 3/24/10, 10:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've never thought so hard about chassis dynos before. The talk is always about rear wheel HP and torque, but it's not really the rear wheels that people care about. Most of the time, what people really care about is what the engine is putting out. It's seems to me that dynos should be able to attempt to compensate numbers for gear reduction, but that all depends on what the dyno is really built to show.

What I would love to see at this point is a dyno run done in every gear. This would be somewhat telling.

Whatever the case, it's interesting to see the shape of the HP and torque curves, regardless of what the actual numbers are.
Old 3/24/10, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
It's not a marketing gimick. If the pull wasn't done in 5th gear on an '11, the numbers are useless for comparison.

4th gear is 1:1 on the 05-10 cars, but on the '11 transmission, 5th gear is 1:1 ratio.

Dude, I get it but I wouldn't throw out everything here. I'm pretty sure the guys at Edmunds got some pretty sick numbers at the track to go with the dyno. The author sounded very confident.
Old 3/24/10, 10:06 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Skotty
Whatever the case, it's interesting to see the shape of the HP and torque curves, regardless of what the actual numbers are.
The torque curve wasn't as impressive as what posters here were leading us all to believe. I was almost expecting a twin screw like torque curve based on information posted. It has a typical N/A DOHC torque curve. Nothing wrong with it, just a lot of hype here before about the FLAT torque line.
Old 3/24/10, 10:11 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06GT

Just because the knucklehead that did the write-up said the pull was in 4th gear doesn't mean it's so. I would imagine the guys running the dyno know more than the writer and probably did the pull in 5th.
Old 3/24/10, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eci
Power to weight would make me think 12.7ish @ 110 if the car hooked off the line.
I think your right and if its traps a little higher maybe somethings up. You'd know better than me driving a GT500 but at some point its going to be hard to get a Mustang to hook. Is 400 HP and a lot of gear that point?
Old 3/24/10, 10:13 PM
Cobra Member

anybody seen this?

Old 3/24/10, 10:14 PM
eci
Banned

I think your right and if its traps a little higher maybe somethings up. You'd know better than me driving a GT500 but at some point its going to be hard to get a Mustang to hook. Is 400 HP and a lot of gear that point?
A GT500 is completely worthless off the showroom floor. It has the worst tires ever made and 1st, 2nd gear are a joke. If you floor it in 1st, you are at redline in .0001 seconds. You can peddle it off the line like a ***** but it costs you .5 - 1 second in the 1/4. With tires they are pretty easy to nail high 11s in, mid 11s if you're Evan Smith.

The 2011 GT has a lot more torque than 2010, but not so much that it will murder itself off the line. It does have a mega steep 1st gear that might create a bunch of spin if the tires aren't up to par though.

Quick Reply: Dyno'd