2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Drove the Mustang in the snow today ... lol

Search this Thread

Old 12/21/12, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have driven all sorts of Mustangs through really bad winters, but I don't really see the point. Like most of us, I'm a nut when it comes to keeping my cars clean. So I recommend just getting a beater for the winter months if you live in a snowy climate. I picked up a low mileage '94 F150 4x4 with a 5.0 really cheap ( almost no rust - it'll last me at least another 10 years ), and drive it in the winter and on crappy rainy days the rest of the year. It is WAY safer in bad weather, and every day I drive it is one day less I don't have to subject the Mustang to snow, salt, ice, and the rest of those pesky elements. Sure, there is a cost to having a beater vehicle, but if you buy the beater right, you can use it for several years and sell it for nearly what you paid for it. And most importantly, your Mustang stays clean and fresh year-round.

Just because many of us are capable of driving these cars in the winter doesn't mean that's what we should do. That's my $0.02. Drive safe folks!
Old 12/22/12, 07:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
I have driven all sorts of Mustangs through really bad winters, but I don't really see the point. Like most of us, I'm a nut when it comes to keeping my cars clean. So I recommend just getting a beater for the winter months if you live in a snowy climate. I picked up a low mileage '94 F150 4x4 with a 5.0 really cheap ( almost no rust - it'll last me at least another 10 years ), and drive it in the winter and on crappy rainy days the rest of the year. It is WAY safer in bad weather, and every day I drive it is one day less I don't have to subject the Mustang to snow, salt, ice, and the rest of those pesky elements. Sure, there is a cost to having a beater vehicle, but if you buy the beater right, you can use it for several years and sell it for nearly what you paid for it. And most importantly, your Mustang stays clean and fresh year-round.

Just because many of us are capable of driving these cars in the winter doesn't mean that's what we should do. That's my $0.02. Drive safe folks!
I have to agree, I've lived in minnesota my whole life and am still amazed at how the road salt will eat away at anything unpainted.
Yea you can wash your car every day but you'll never get the salt spray out of all the nooks and crannies
Old 12/22/12, 09:51 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully thats as close as she will get. I really dont have a problem with driving mustangs in the snow. I had an 88 gt manual all through high school and drove it every day in northern indiana. I got it stuck a few times. I got sideways on a bridge once right in front of a wreck and police officers. I was going slow but i just slid sideways the whole length of the bridge.
Attached Thumbnails Drove the Mustang in the snow today ... lol-image.jpg  
Old 12/22/12, 10:04 AM
GT Member

A pic of the 88 gt in the snow and mud.
Attached Thumbnails Drove the Mustang in the snow today ... lol-image.jpg  
Old 12/22/12, 10:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
I drive my car rain or shine, snow, sleet...year round...it's my only car and I live in Colorado, so I have to.

Old 12/22/12, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

erouch - I had an '88 GT hatch that was an identical twin to yours - bought her used back in 1991 and drove her for 3 years. I was right out of college at the time, so she was my only car, so I put some skinny all-season tires on the back and off I went.

I realize that some folks can't swing a 2nd vehicle for a winter beater, but just keep the option in mind - you can find a lot of decent beater transportation these days for not a lot of money.

Last edited by PaxtonShelby; 12/22/12 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12/22/12, 02:18 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
There is nothing wrong with rear wheel drive in the snow. If you have the right tires. Put four Blizzaks ( or full winter tires of your choice) on the Mustang and it is another car. I enjoy driving it all year, and as long as you wash it, the weather and salt won't hurt it. Of course I grew up with rear wheel drive, stick shift and no traction assist devices, and I enjoy driving in the winter.
Talk about right on the money
Old 12/24/12, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by hellogreg
I always wonder, on a straight road, in snow, why does it slide to the right? Seems like there is no way for a balanced, straight forward launch wheel spin. It always pushes its butt out to the right.
The only thing I can think of is the P Zero tires that are asymmetrical when you compare left and right.
This has been a problem since the beginning. Had a 1966 and it did the same thing, always to the right.
Old 12/24/12, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Most roads are graded with a high point in the middle, to allow for water run-off. It may not look like much, but there's probably a slight grade there. If you find a deserted road somewhere, try going the "wrong way" and see if it slides left.
Old 12/24/12, 09:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38
Most roads are graded with a high point in the middle, to allow for water run-off. It may not look like much, but there's probably a slight grade there. If you find a deserted road somewhere, try going the "wrong way" and see if it slides left.
And to add to this...if both tires are spinning you take away the friction that is holding you on a grade. Since both rear tires are spinning the rear slides down the hill no matter how minor it is. If you had an open rear end (one-tire-fire) the car would stay straight because you have one tire not spinning and holding the car from drifting to the side.