Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Drove the Mustang in the snow today ... lol

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/12, 06:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Drove the Mustang in the snow today ... lol

And a half-inch of snow showed just how "traction-challenged" this car is, even with all-season tires installed ... lol

Starting off in 2nd gear every time, feathering the clutch, still got sideways more times than I can remember, on a mostly-straight route of about 15 miles ... hills were somewhat challenging, the traction control / stability control system worked great though and got me home where I switched to the Focus and was amazed at that car's ability to make the snow almost seem like it wasn't even there ... lol

Yeah, the Focus is going back out tomorrow and every other day now where snow is forecast or already on the ground ... nice that I got the all-season tires for the Mustang so I can drive it in cold weather, but a snow car it is NOT!
Old 12/16/12, 06:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use to drive mine in Colorado Springs. It was an auto though. It was funny to leave a traffic light and try to get traction with the traction light flashing in the dash. Other than that it did okay. Ah memories...
Old 12/16/12, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, so... you had actual SNOW tires for the ALL WHEEL DRIVE car, but do NOT have snow tires for the REAR WHEEL DRIVE car?!

Old 12/16/12, 07:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38
Okay, so... you had actual SNOW tires for the ALL WHEEL DRIVE car, but do NOT have snow tires for the REAR WHEEL DRIVE car?!

Focus come in AWD
Old 12/16/12, 08:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There is nothing wrong with rear wheel drive in the snow. If you have the right tires. Put four Blizzaks ( or full winter tires of your choice) on the Mustang and it is another car. I enjoy driving it all year, and as long as you wash it, the weather and salt won't hurt it. Of course I grew up with rear wheel drive, stick shift and no traction assist devices, and I enjoy driving in the winter.
Old 12/16/12, 09:03 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
There is nothing wrong with rear wheel drive in the snow. If you have the right tires. Put four Blizzaks ( or full winter tires of your choice) on the Mustang and it is another car. I enjoy driving it all year, and as long as you wash it, the weather and salt won't hurt it. Of course I grew up with rear wheel drive, stick shift and no traction assist devices, and I enjoy driving in the winter.
Same here - hundreds of thousands of miles w/RWD in winter. A little weight in the trunk helps for balance and traction.
Old 12/17/12, 05:00 AM
GT Member

I always wonder, on a straight road, in snow, why does it slide to the right? Seems like there is no way for a balanced, straight forward launch wheel spin. It always pushes its butt out to the right.
The only thing I can think of is the P Zero tires that are asymmetrical when you compare left and right.
Old 12/17/12, 05:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hellogreg
I always wonder, on a straight road, in snow, why does it slide to the right? Seems like there is no way for a balanced, straight forward launch wheel spin. It always pushes its butt out to the right.
The only thing I can think of is the P Zero tires that are asymmetrical when you compare left and right.
Probably has to do with the roads bring slightly sloped to aid water runoff
Old 12/17/12, 05:14 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive drive 6 different mustangs in the snow over the years. Feet or inchs.. I got to work on time. its all about going light on the gas peddle and shifting before 1500 rpm.

even topless!

even in this car
Old 12/17/12, 05:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yuk.

I really enjoy the winter weather in Florida when I see pictures like this.
Old 12/17/12, 05:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by mikerob
I use to drive mine in Colorado Springs. It was an auto though. It was funny to leave a traffic light and try to get traction with the traction light flashing in the dash. Other than that it did okay. Ah memories...
I actually had similar experiences with the previous car ... traction control light flashing away while all 4 tires were spinning furiously ... lol

Originally Posted by shurtual86
Focus come in AWD
No, Ron is talking about my previous car ... an AWD 2007 Dodge Charger R/T
Wearing Firestone Winterforce tires that car was AWESOME in the snow ... it drove out of this with NO tirespin ...
(light on the gas of course)

Name:  2009_1-18_snow_2.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  97.8 KB

Last edited by Gabe; 12/17/12 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12/17/12, 07:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yep! AWD + Snow Tires = Snow Cat!
Old 12/17/12, 09:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Gabe

I actually had similar experiences with the previous car ... traction control light flashing away while all 4 tires were spinning furiously ... lol

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSfQrIE0D3k

No, Ron is talking about my previous car ... an AWD 2007 Dodge Charger R/T
Wearing Firestone Winterforce tires that car was AWESOME in the snow ... it drove out of this with NO tirespin ...
(light on the gas of course)
Yep! AWD + Snow Tires = Snow Cat!
Oh ok
Old 12/17/12, 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I already drove my car in the snow with no issues... Handled better than most RWD cars I have used in the past. I am not afraid of mother nature with the Mustang.
Old 12/17/12, 01:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

I drove in the snow last winter and this winter as well with no problems. I drive on full winter tires, and drive like I'm on snow and ice and the Mustang does a good a job as any other car I ever driven.
Old 12/17/12, 01:43 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang

even topless!

Thank goodness you didn't post the other photo that usually goes with this one...............y'know, the one where she's absolutely FILTHY (makes me sad )

And time for my annual "this is as close as my baby gets to snow" photo

Name:  P2070004.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  80.3 KB
Old 12/17/12, 01:57 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo

Thank goodness you didn't post the other photo that usually goes with this one...............y'know, the one where she's absolutely FILTHY (makes me sad )

I hear you loud and clear Paul. hahaha------Bill
Old 12/18/12, 10:03 AM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

1/2" of snow last night, drove into work - no issues, started off in first just fine... 4wd trucks were having more problems than I did... you gotta take it slow and keep the torque off the wheels and you'll be fine. I was more worried about the fools on the road who don't know how to drive than I was in driving in...
Old 12/18/12, 10:36 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo

dirty girls look good in mud and soapy bubbles

Old 12/18/12, 12:40 PM
GT Member

I had Ford put snows on for me when I got the car last winter. They are awesome and with the Advancetrac I have no problems here in Ontario. Been driving rwd all my life, so a new car with all the electronic aids is kinda easy peasy.

Quick Reply: Drove the Mustang in the snow today ... lol