Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Drove the 5.0, and thoughts on The Deal ?

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/10, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove the 5.0, and thoughts on The Deal ?

I am down here in S.FLA and yeah its hot in the MIA. I went today to Metro Ford, the Internet manager had call me a few times, said they had some 5.0's and a 2010 GT500 on the lot. Had some free time so I went on down. Some nice 5.0 on the lot, and the GT500 was a black with the dark grey stripes. (hey just like the wolf..) Lots of auto's but I finally saw a base manual. perfect. I took the 5.0 out for a spin, and was impress with the pick up and clutch feel. The stick was nice and crisp and I was surprised it was a short throw. The steering felt well to. Different than my 08, but it felt good. Braking though stock, was good as well. I felt as I could toss the car all over the road. It felt like my car, but heh I had to buy my suspension ! All in all very nice. The sound was decent for a stocker, but did have a nice refine sound in the cabin. Quieter it seemed than my 08. I actually like the seats better than the leather in my car. The price was 29.5 for a base package

I did not have time to take the gt500 out, but it did sound nice. In truth, to trade off my baby I would need a bit more though. A GT500 could fit the bill, but for a GT 5.0 or even a 2010 GT I would need a bit more. Of course my baby is Saleened charged, has the big brake kit from saleen and the fr3 suspension...along with side exhaust from magnaflow.....So I would need a GT 5.0 with at least the brembo and 3:73 gearing.

Interesting though...the manager offered this for me. A 2010 GT, with a track pack, 3:73 gears, brembo brakes, or take mines (since I still have the stocks) AND put my Supershaker on the new car......

Have to say..that one gave me pause.....but I still love the look of my baby. Funniest part was 4 people asked about my car...wanted to know if I had traded it in and how much was it...lol
Old 5/22/10, 07:49 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninjak
Funniest part was 4 people asked about my car...wanted to know if I had traded it in and how much was it...lol
Man that says it all!

These 10/11 threads by those that have to have the latest model, and then want to trash the S197 for the S197-D(iaper) have forgotten how striking the 05-09 are. They ignore how stupid and Camaro/Japa/Euro that horrendous 10/11 Diaper actually looks - to the general buying public - and many, many Mustang enthusiasts.

I love the engineering behind the 5.0/6spd, but I'd never touch one with that dumass Diaper.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/22/10 at 07:51 PM.
Old 5/22/10, 07:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Man that says it all!

These 10/11 threads by those that have to have the latest model, and then want to trash the S197 for the S197-D(iaper) have forgotten how striking the 05-09 are. They ignore how stupid and Camaro/Japa/Euro that horrendous 10/11 Diaper actually looks - to the general buying public - and many, many Mustang enthusiasts.

I love the engineering behind the 5.0/6spd, but I'd never touch one with that dumass Diaper.
lol.
Old 5/22/10, 07:56 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ninjak
Interesting though...the manager offered this for me. A 2010 GT, with a track pack, 3:73 gears, brembo brakes, or take mines (since I still have the stocks) AND put my Supershaker on the new car......
2010 GT wasn't available with Brembos though so if they told you it does then they don't know what they are talking about unless someone put a set on it.

Also, the 2010 supershaker is different than the 05-09, may be able to make it work but they are a little different due to the powerbuldge hood.
Old 5/22/10, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Geeze, to each their own. I personally like the new back end slightly better than the old, but if so many people hate it maybe I should look into seeing if it's possible to change the panels out to the old and offer my own Rousch/Saleen/Shelby package. I'd think as long as the frame was still the same it wouldn't be too bad.
Old 5/22/10, 08:21 PM
GT Member

Man that says it all!

Dayum! Somebody forget to take their meds today? Sheesh! NinjaK has a really nice custom car. I've seen photos of it. I guarantee you that if his car had been a bone stock 05-09 Mustang GT, nobody would've asked him if he traded in his car and how much it was.

I've owned a 2005 and a 2006 Mustang GT (and many others before that) and the part I liked least about those cars car were its chunky looks and too-flat rear-end. I like the 2010/11 much better. I also have a 2010 Mustang GT (Torch Red) that I've owned for 14 months and have gotten more favorable comments on that car than any other Mustang I've owned over the past 30 years. Just ask the guy who owns one and he'll tell you. My 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 (picking it up tomorrow - Black) will get even more looks thanks to that flashy 5.0 badge on the fender!

I know we all have our opinions and this forum is where we can voice 'em, but I don't understand why any Mustang enthusiast would trash another Mustang though; That's just me I guess ...
Old 5/22/10, 08:21 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Man that says it all!

The "diaper" could have been integrated better, yes, but the 2010's design as a whole is far more aggressive -- "striking," to me -- than the boring '05-'09 Mustang. From its flat, dull rear end to its way too vertical, doe-eyed front end (why do you think GT500 conversions are so popular?), both designs have their share of faults (we won't even get into interiors). Just because I prefer the new Mustang's design, though, it doesn't mean that I'm somehow disrespecting the first modern-retro iteration that the 2010+'s design is based on. Personally, I'm glad Ford tried something new with the 2010 as you can't do retro forever. It seems as though those who hate the rear would have preferred Ford stuck with the 2005's design indefinitely -- the stagnated sales, though, overwhelmingly indicated that it was time for a change. Only time will tell if the new design is a success.
Old 5/22/10, 08:22 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by grabberguy
Dayum! Somebody forget to take their meds today? Sheesh! NinjaK has a really nice custom car. I've seen photos of it. I guarantee you that if his car had been a bone stock 05-09 Mustang GT, nobody would've asked him if he traded in his car and how much it was.

I've owned a 2005 and a 2006 Mustang GT (and many others before that) and the part I liked least about those cars car were its chunky looks and too-flat rear-end. I like the 2010/11 much better. I also have a 2010 Mustang GT (Torch Red) that I've owned for 14 months and have gotten more favorable comments on that car than any other Mustang I've owned over the past 30 years. Just ask the guy who owns one and he'll tell you. My 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 (picking it up tomorrow - Black) will get even more looks thanks to that flashy 5.0 badge on the fender!

I know we all have our opinions and this forum is where we can voice 'em, but I don't understand why any Mustang enthusiast would trash another Mustang though; That's just me I guess ...
Nooooo, you're wrong. EVERYBODY hates the new design!

On a side note, charliehorse will be my write-in candidate for President in 2012.
Old 5/22/10, 08:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
The "diaper" could have been integrated better, yes, but the 2010's design as a whole is far more aggressive -- "striking," to me -- than the boring '05-'09 Mustang. From its flat, dull rear end to its way too vertical, doe-eyed front end (why do you think GT500 conversions are so popular?), both designs have their share of faults (we won't even get into interiors). Just because I prefer the new Mustang's design, though, it doesn't mean that I'm somehow disrespecting the first modern-retro iteration that the 2010+'s design is based on. Personally, I'm glad Ford tried something new with the 2010 as you can't do retro forever. It seems as though those who hate the rear would have preferred Ford stuck with the 2005's design indefinitely -- the stagnated sales, though, overwhelmingly indicated that it was time for a change. Only time will tell if the new design is a success.
A-men, Marz!
Old 5/22/10, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I liked the 2005 cars, but never really considered buying a new 'stang until the 2010 design. To each their own.
Old 5/22/10, 09:20 PM
Post *****

Yeah I know we've gone round and round before. The S197 was such a fantastic breath of fresh air compared to the SN95. The S197D's refinements on the front and hood are fine. That's where it ends.
Old 5/22/10, 09:25 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by grabberguy

PS: you do know I was giving Ninjak a compliment, right?
No I haven't even started happy hour yet - I'm late! I've been busy defending the KR on another thread.

Yeah that plain 'ol bone stock 2008 S197 is just ugly and boring.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/22/10 at 09:34 PM.
Old 5/22/10, 09:26 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Yeah I know we've gone round and round before. The S197 was such a fantastic breath of fresh air compared to the SN95. The S197D's refinements on the front and hood are fine. That's where it ends.
In your opinion. You have to remember, though, that not everyone shares your opinion.
Old 5/22/10, 09:29 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

No I haven't even started happy hour yet - I'm late! I've been busy defending the KR on another thread.

Some people may think so. I'm not in that category, as I think your car looks great (mine, too, since I own a 2007 GT).
Old 5/22/10, 09:30 PM
Post *****

Well please know, that I am not hammering any owner's choices. I'm hammering Ford's "design committee".
Striking design is striking - not controversial.

Wait for it... wait for it... here it comes...

IMO

Old 5/22/10, 09:34 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Well please know, that I am not hammering any owner's choices. I'm hammering Ford's "design committee".
Striking design is striking - not controversial.

Wait for it... wait for it... here it comes...

IMO

LOL.

I can tell you, though, that there were several not particularly enamored with the then-new 2005's design when it first came out. You had people complaining that it had lost its aggression when compared to the SN95; you had some that were upset that the production car deviated in appearance so much compared to the concept cars they showed; many wanted some scoops and a less-boring hood; the biggest gripe, much like the 2010's rear end, was the 2005's too-vertical front end. Again, that's why I think, to this day, GT500 front-end conversions are so popular.
Old 5/22/10, 09:37 PM
Post *****

Shark nose, hockey stick, quarter window... those are retro trademarks the SN95 didn't have.

Don't know who came up with the darth vader mask & underbite for those years...

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/22/10 at 09:39 PM.
Old 5/22/10, 09:45 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Shark nose, hockey stick, quarter window... those are retro trademarks the SN95 didn't have.

Don't know who came up with the darth vader mask & underbite for those years...
So you didn't like the look of the SN95 Mustangs, either? How about the 2003+ Cobra?
Old 5/22/10, 10:17 PM
Post *****

So you didn't like the look of the SN95 Mustangs, either? How about the 2003+ Cobra?

I guess I spent too much time around a '66 2+2 in HS... and love 1st gen - esp '65/66 - '68 Bullitt - 70 Boss.
Mustangs need to have a shark nose.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/22/10 at 10:21 PM.
Old 5/23/10, 12:22 AM
GT Member

This thread proves one thing: Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. I love Mustangs ...some designs more than others, but I love 'em all. The photo of the 2008 Mustang you posted proves my point tho ...it has no lines ...it's all straight and blocky ...little imagination used in its styling in my opinion. And, compared to the 2010/11 designs, it IS boring. That doesn't mean I don't like them and will come up with over-the-top derogatory words to trash the car. Heck, I owned two of 'em ...an '05 and an '06 like I mentioned previously.

The '05-'09 Mustangs were the first retro-styled models (and even then there were those who howled that Ford was going backwards with the retro instead of moving forward, LOL ...they still are now that I think about it). But, the styling was simple and, with the 2010/11's, Ford has put some real imagination and style into the car. To see one in-person is to really appreciate all the curves and muscle Ford has put into the styling.

The lines of the '10-'11 Mustangs are just drop-dead gorgeous to my eyes. I agree that the back end is the most-changed part of the car. And, I know it's human nature (more for some than others) to resist change. I'm almost 50 and I bought my 2010 Mustang GT April of last year and loved the front and side (and interior) of the car and felt the back-end was okay and something I could live with since the rest of the car was so awesome. I wasn't negative towards the back end, but it wasn't my favorite part of the car at the time. Roll forward 13 months and seeing others on the road, the back end has really grown on me and gives it a modern look. To my eyes, it makes the '05-'09 back end look plain and boring by comparison, not ugly, just plain -- like the rest of the '05-'09 car relative to the 2010/11. The '05-'09 Mustangs can be customized up REALLY nice, like Ninjak's (and so can the 2010/11's). And, yes, I knew you were paying him a compliment (as I did, too).

I don't begrudge anyone for commenting on our beloved Mustang's styling. One's opinion on styling is truly subjective. I do object when over-the-top language is used to convey one's displeasure of the car's styling. If a person doesn't like a car's styling, that's cool. But why go over the top and call it "*******" and "diaper"? In my opinion, a real Mustang enthusiast who cares about the car's present and future wouldn't use language like that. Even the original '65-'68 Mustangs, compared to today, look homely but we, as Mustang enusiasts who care about the car, still love them and revere them in the context of the car's history and evolution.

I also have some just-as-funny terms to describe the '05-'09 Mustang back end but will keep them to myself because it does no good to trash the car and the Mustang's ancestry. I think that's the right thing to do for anyone who cares about Mustang.

Quick Reply: Drove the 5.0, and thoughts on The Deal ?