2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Driver Side Power Seat Failure

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/17, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviving this old thread.

Girlfriend has a 2011 GT Premium. Seat is really starting to have a hard time moving. I have not pulled the seat out yet to examine, but from what I can tell it is either the worm gear or the motor.

So what I am looking for is...where do you order your OEM parts from or....is there an aftermarket source that makes better than OEM seat parts that will not fail.

Initially when I looked I saw that an upholstery shop has to be used to replace the motor but I now appears that they are mounted on the seat rack....is that correct. I am just wanting to get as much knowledge prior to working on it that I can get.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 6/15/17, 01:17 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
No need for upholstery shop on my '13. I disconnected the battery, waited 30 minutes or so, then pulled the seat. Flip it upside down and everything is there.
Old 6/15/17, 10:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by drdfblackm
Reviving this old thread.

Girlfriend has a 2011 GT Premium. Seat is really starting to have a hard time moving. I have not pulled the seat out yet to examine, but from what I can tell it is either the worm gear or the motor.

So what I am looking for is...where do you order your OEM parts from or....is there an aftermarket source that makes better than OEM seat parts that will not fail.

Initially when I looked I saw that an upholstery shop has to be used to replace the motor but I now appears that they are mounted on the seat rack....is that correct. I am just wanting to get as much knowledge prior to working on it that I can get.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
There is no aftermarket option as far as I know and you have to replace the whole seat track, unfortunately, which is a $350 or so part from Ford.
Old 6/16/17, 07:46 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
There is no aftermarket option as far as I know and you have to replace the whole seat track, unfortunately, which is a $350 or so part from Ford.
---
^ this, sadly, the entire seat track is needed.
Old 6/25/17, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Just were does one find this at $350? My online searching is showing $674 as a minimum.
Old 6/25/17, 06:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrooney
Just were does one find this at $350? My online searching is showing $674 as a minimum.
Sorry, my number wasn't quite right - I paid $413 for it from FordParts.com about three years ago.
Old 6/26/17, 08:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Nevermind... it's the passenger side, and I think that's not what you want. I'd delete the post entirely, but can't. Mods if you can, please.

/um... test post, plz ignore? Maybe that'd work...

Last edited by houtex; 6/26/17 at 08:59 AM.
Old 6/28/20, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I was able to fix mine. What do you think was broken?

Old 6/29/20, 11:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I must admit, I'm understandably curious as to how in all my years, as I've said earlier, and definitely I've had *quite* the few years, of owning/driving Fords of all kinds that the only power seat issue I've ever had was my current Mustang's power seat switch quit moving forward. Replaced the switch (ouch, wallet!) and that was that, fixed.

That's it. No other power seat issues ever. And certainly never had one break apart a gear like that. Had window gears get something like that, replaced those, and fixed windows. These cars were all dailys, AND were outside during the hottest parts of Texas weather during the day, maximum temperature gainage, which should have *cooked* those gears to crispy critters and snapped them off promptly. Awesome's been outside in the hot days of Texas for the past 12 years (can't speak of her earlier days, but I suspect the same for the first 2 years), so she's really overdue if this is an issue... Hope not...

So while I see y'all'n's having issues... I'm utterly confounded by 'em. How very strange, honestly. Perhaps y'all aren't using them enough, and that's causing them to dry rot like tires or hoses on a museum queen?

Just a thought... I'm probably wrong.

Last edited by houtex; 6/30/20 at 12:06 AM.
Old 6/30/20, 06:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
I must admit, I'm understandably curious as to how in all my years, as I've said earlier, and definitely I've had *quite* the few years, of owning/driving Fords of all kinds that the only power seat issue I've ever had was my current Mustang's power seat switch quit moving forward. Replaced the switch (ouch, wallet!) and that was that, fixed.

That's it. No other power seat issues ever. And certainly never had one break apart a gear like that. Had window gears get something like that, replaced those, and fixed windows. These cars were all dailys, AND were outside during the hottest parts of Texas weather during the day, maximum temperature gainage, which should have *cooked* those gears to crispy critters and snapped them off promptly. Awesome's been outside in the hot days of Texas for the past 12 years (can't speak of her earlier days, but I suspect the same for the first 2 years), so she's really overdue if this is an issue... Hope not...

So while I see y'all'n's having issues... I'm utterly confounded by 'em. How very strange, honestly. Perhaps y'all aren't using them enough, and that's causing them to dry rot like tires or hoses on a museum queen?

Just a thought... I'm probably wrong.
In my entire life I’ve never had a power seat fail like this. And my Mustang is garage kept in California, it’s a 2013, bought it new, and now has about 25000 miles on it. My wife and I are the only ones who drive it, and we’re about the same size, which means that we never adjust the seat. The seat is in the lowest possible position.
The only time the seat is adjusted is when the car is in the shop or car wash....
the gears in the picture are to raise/lower the front and back side of the seat. Both have stripped gears!
what I noticed is that when I was repairing is that the motors keep receiving power for as long as you press the buttons for up/down. Even when the seat is already at the limit. I call that a bad design.
when the seat is at the highest point and I press up, the motor shouldn’t be trying to keep pushing the seat up. It should only allow the seat to be powered to move down.
Old 6/30/20, 07:10 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by Plim
In my entire life I’ve never had a power seat fail like this. And my Mustang is garage kept in California, it’s a 2013, bought it new, and now has about 25000 miles on it. My wife and I are the only ones who drive it, and we’re about the same size, which means that we never adjust the seat. The seat is in the lowest possible position.
The only time the seat is adjusted is when the car is in the shop or car wash....
the gears in the picture are to raise/lower the front and back side of the seat. Both have stripped gears!
what I noticed is that when I was repairing is that the motors keep receiving power for as long as you press the buttons for up/down. Even when the seat is already at the limit. I call that a bad design.
when the seat is at the highest point and I press up, the motor shouldn’t be trying to keep pushing the seat up. It should only allow the seat to be powered to move down.
Yep...the seat should have limit switches to cut power to the motors. Most likely a cost savings measure to leave them out.
Old 6/30/20, 05:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ah. Now... that's interesting. The window motors have limit switches of sorts, 'knowing' where up and down is (although they still seem to forget down, dunno why, in Awesome's case...*thunk*...) but these don't? They just keep tryin' to ramble on...

For a frame of reference on my thinking now... the window gear design really hasn't changed in... a long time. Same ol' nylon two piece gear merged with some dense plastic pins, and all that designed to strip themselves to save the mechanism and/or window motor, as well as cushion against an over-'roll'... aka, the window's going down, and it goes past 'down', so there's some give. Sorta like a suspension, if you will.

The gears for the seats don't have that. But those motors look really familiar on the tracks...

End lesson: Maybe let up on the switch when the seat gets there...?

Not sure how you'd fix it unless you put actual switches elsewhere in the tracks/mechanism of the seat... which adds cost, of course, wiring... and then adjustments... The motors would be a better place, overall... maybe from a Mark VIII or something...

/Sorry. Those two words, Mark, and VIII, together give me PTSD...
Old 1/2/21, 06:32 PM

Broken gears on Forward and Back.....Anyone ever find??

Has anyone found or machined replacement plastic gears for the seat forward and back ?
Would love to buy if someone has made these...
Help !!!!!!

Old 2/5/21, 07:58 PM

I'm not sure if this i too dated, but you can purchase the gears separately on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/30373522630...xoCHHgQAvD_BwE
Old 6/13/21, 05:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
Ok m05fastbackGT, I may not have revived this one lol I tried. But my driver and passenger seat both have the same problem, the front of the passenger seat was all the way down and the front of the driver seat was all the way up. I have been driving my car this way for a little while now. So today I decided to take a look and see what I can do without having to get a whole new gear system. The motor works fin and i can watch the gear move when i hit the button but just wouldn't work. After some snooping around under the seat i found a port on the side of the gear where you can stick a small flat head screw driver into it and turn it by hand. Funny thing is when I would do this it was real tight then got loose. When it got loose I could pull the screw driver out and then hit the button and it worked for about 2 seconds takes patience but one way to move them with out buying a new setup.
Old 6/14/21, 07:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

THAT is some good info. I'm gonna remember that, if ever I need that to be happening. Good stuff!

Also, a half year is a restin' thread, not dead yet.
The following users liked this post:
Jaryd21 (6/14/21)
Old 6/15/21, 07:40 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Good info! I think eventually all are cars are going to have this quit on us. Gives us a way to at least get it positioned to a useful spot. Thanks for sharing!
Jaryd21 (6/15/21)
Old 6/15/21, 08:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
No problem. Yeah I didnt realize I had this problem until I started to notice my legs hitting the steering wheel a little to much when i was getting in and out.
Old 6/16/21, 06:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/29422654942...UAAMXQU6tQ~wLs
shaneyusa (6/20/21)

Quick Reply: Driver Side Power Seat Failure