2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

To drill or not to drill

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/13, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To drill or not to drill

Hi all. So I'm a few days of taking delivery on my 2014 grabber blue GT with track pack and Recaros...needless to say I'm excited. So one of the first decisions I need to make, living in Colorado, is if I want to let the dealership drill into my front bumper to install a front license plate bracket. What say you all?... In those states that require a front plate, have you just fallen into line and let the dealership drill into your front bumper? If not, any aftermarket solutions you recommend? As an aside, I live in Denver and the revenue agents here, errr.. cops.. are hellacious and will ticket for anything and everything that confiscates revenue from the citizenry... going w/o a front plate isn't an option. Any and all advice and opinions are appreciated.
Old 9/18/13, 11:32 PM
GT Member

I simply installed my own with the bracket and packet of bolts that came with the car. If your state requires a front plate, then by law the manufacturer and dealership are required to provide it. There are indentions on the bumper where the bolts go, and I only needed a socket & ratchet with mild pressure to bolt mine into place.

Here in Texas you will fail a state inspection if you dont have the front lisc plate on. ( If the station is doing it right ). When I first got my drivers lisc many years ago, the car I brought to take the test in didnt have the front lisc plate on and the test administrator failed the car for that reason causing me to take it later. Also, during a routine traffic stop if the cop wants to be a ***** they`ll also ticket you for not having it.
Old 9/18/13, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did not drill holes in my bumper and instead I opted for an aftermarket STO N SHO License Plate Bracket which you can install and have your license plate displayed or pull a pin and remove it when your at a car show. This web site is the manufacture or search American Muscle http://www.bigmikesperformanceparts.com/
Old 9/19/13, 12:18 AM
Cobra Member

I'm with mike 67. Don't ruin the front. Just use an aftermarket bracket.
Old 9/19/13, 04:18 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Sky Hye
I'm with mike 67. Don't ruin the front. Just use an aftermarket bracket.
Sky, where the heck you been man?????? Months of no word! Haven't sen you on forum in a long time. Hope you're well.

As to plate question... No ruining of body panel or look. Front plates ruin it regardless of state law.
Old 9/19/13, 04:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a couple of front plate "hide-a-way" setups. I'd not drill into the bumper, but instead look into one of these hide-a-way setups.
Old 9/19/13, 06:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I told the dealership not to drill my plate but when I went to pick my car up they had mounted the plate anyway. I say don't let them drill it but also call them about ten times telling them not to drill it. Heck put it in writing and have your salesman sign it.
Old 9/19/13, 06:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
dont drill... i would recommend AM's hid away plates, i drive lot of highway, it is in tact and i have scratched the plates so many times as i have lowered setup still the holder has not shown signs of wear n tear....pics of my setup

007 look
Name:  Vz1NSD3.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  93.1 KB
Name:  d3rX88E.jpg
Size:  87.0 KB

when cops pulls you over look
Name:  oJ84Ruv.jpg
Size:  96.6 KB
Name:  7iAnHTH.jpg
Size:  104.2 KB

close up
Name:  nOGlMrZ.jpg
Size:  503 Bytes

product link - http://www.americanmuscle.com/flipdo...te-manual.html
Old 9/19/13, 08:19 AM
GTR Member

I'm in Texas and my car was inspected without a front license plate, of course it was new and the only plate it had at all was the paper temp tag.

But, I absolutely insisted that no holes be drilled in the front bumper for the tag mount.

I have the same hide-a-way bracket as CiniZter but have yet to mount it, currently just have the tag in the windshield.

There are a number of no drill solutions, just have to use the one you like best.
Old 9/19/13, 01:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Sky, where the heck you been man?????? Months of no word! Haven't sen you on forum in a long time. Hope you're well. As to plate question... No ruining of body panel or look. Front plates ruin it regardless of state law.
What's up my man! I've been here laying low. Lost my job and also got a new house so things have been hectic to say the least. Also got in a mild crash a few weeks ago, someone totaled my truck for me so dealing with chiropractors and lawyers and crap haha. I'm back now.

How's your pony? Any recent mods?
Old 9/19/13, 07:47 PM

Don't drill, there are a couple of dimples in the front bumper where the plate brackets go for easy placement later. I would wait and see if there are other less destructive options that you prefer before busting out the drill bits. My $.02.
Old 9/19/13, 09:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I'm in Texas and my car was inspected without a front license plate, of course it was new and the only plate it had at all was the paper temp tag.

But, I absolutely insisted that no holes be drilled in the front bumper for the tag mount.

I have the same hide-a-way bracket as CiniZter but have yet to mount it, currently just have the tag in the windshield.

There are a number of no drill solutions, just have to use the one you like best.
Thats because in Texas a new car will come with a 2 year inspection sticker that is usually placed on the vehicle by the dealership once the car is placed into stock. Its also a very good way to determine how long a car has been in dealer stock by looking at the month.

If you havent installed your front plate yet, then it might be best to look into the hide a plate option because as of Sept 1 of this year HB 625 has gone into effect which classifies missing either the front or rear plate as a misdemeanor with a fine not to exceed $200

Does your car have a front license plate? If not, you could face a $200 fine

http://www.dallasnews.com/investigat...a-200-fine.ece

Here I am, The Watchdog, solving the mystery of the front license plate. On an important day, too. Today is the day a new law takes effect.
If your vehicle doesn’t have a front license plate, or a rear one for that matter, as of Sunday, you’re looking at a $200 fine. Yep, starting today. (See? Real news you can use right here in this column!)
Which leads to another amazing discovery I made while solving the mystery of the front license plate. (More news coming!) For the past two years, until today, Sept. 1, any motorist in the state of Texas who was stopped for not having a front or rear Texas license plate could not be fined. That’s right. Not be fined.
Legislators in 2011 accidentally removed the punishment portion of the license plate law. (Uh-oh.) The law was on the books, but the fine was inadvertently deleted. (Embarrassing.) That made traffic cops much less likely to make stops for a missing front plate. They could write tickets with no fine. (Where’s the fun in that?)
In Texas, a law enforcement officer is allowed to stop any vehicle if a front or rear license plate is missing. It’s the same as an officer making a stop when a driver runs a stop sign, makes an improper lane change or, everybody’s favorite, drives too slow.
Now, with the punishment tacked back on to the law, the fine for a missing front or rear plate is specifically set at no more than $200.
The mystery of the front plates in Texas came up when I mentioned it in a recent Watchdog report that the license plate law is a personal pet peeve. If Texas requires a front plate, why is the law rarely enforced? The result is a lot of cars without front plates. How come they get away with it? Either enforce the law or dump it.
I see it as a safety tool that helps eyewitnesses and law enforcement identify the bad guys. Front plates double the chance for a clear ID of, say, a hit-and-run driver, a child molester or a killer.
Drivers, including Corvette and Prius owners whose cars don’t come with ready-made front license plate brackets, tell me they are concerned. Hey, nobody wants to drill holes in their beauty’s front hood.
One reader suggested, “Instead of forcing the law, why not eliminate front plates? Lots of states do not require front plates. The extra plate costs the state money. Put the savings in the highway fund.”
Another: “I think if cops would include checking stickers and license plates to the list when they pull someone over it would start to force more people to get current. Right now cops only ask for driver’s license and insurance.”
Car and truck owners without front plates may now be rushing out to Pep Boys for brackets. Or they could be running to their favorite auto parts website for the right make and model number. Yep, it’s my personal pet peeve, but please don’t blame me.
Who then? I looked up the recorded vote this year for House Bill 625, author, Rep. Linda Harper-Brown, R-Irving. The state Senate voted 31-0 for the new law; the House voted 139-4.
I talked to representatives of the San Antonio and Houston police departments who lobbied for it. Summarizing, they said both front and rear plates make it easier and safer for police to do their jobs.
With a money fine back in the law, San Antonio police Sgt. James Jones says he expects more officers to make no-front-plate stops.
“That would be enough to pull somebody over,” he said. “That is a traffic violation.” Officers will check for driver’s license, insurance and any outstanding warrants, he says.
I understand there are people across Texas who will not believe this is happening, people who’ve driven without front plates for years, and yeah, the Corvette and Prius owners.
There’s a bit of urban folklore about front plates in Texas. Considering the bungling in state law that was corrected, that’s no surprise. But let there be no doubt. The law is clear.
As of Sept. 1, 2013, it is required that all registered vehicles, including commercial vehicles, must display both front and rear plates.
“An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.”
Let the drilling begin.

Last edited by lajntx; 9/19/13 at 09:17 PM.
Old 9/19/13, 09:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Is this true
Old 9/19/13, 10:46 PM
GTR Member

Front plates are a load of crap, all they are is a revenue generator for the state.

I have a hide-a-way plate mount, but have yet to take the time to mount it. I'll get around to it, and a list of other things I have to install on my car, when the weather starts to cool off.
Old 9/19/13, 11:02 PM
Cobra Member

I've been thinking of 3D printing a flip down or removable one. I should get around to it
Old 9/19/13, 11:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
Is this true
Yes it is... Since they wont tax us. I guess they plan to fine and fee us to death.

The Guys on the Tesla Board are discussing this very thing.... One poster even commented that the DPS pulled him over for having his front plate in the windshield and gave him a warning to install it

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...-License-Plate

" Be advised that I have been pulled over by the DPS on US287 between WF and Bowie for having my license plate on the dash behind the windshield. It was even propped up to lay flat along the inside of the glass. No other reason for being pulled over (not speeding or anything else).

I got a warning for "improper display of license plate" or something like that. I mounted it that evening, and the next day the same cop pulled along side, checked to see that it was on, and gave me a thumbs-up when he saw that it was. "
Old 9/20/13, 04:43 AM
GT Member

If if its going to bother you, don't let them drill. Call several times, especially upon delivery. Try faxing "delivery instructions" so everything is done the way YOU want (and paid for).

I bought one of these:

http://ccmustangbrackets.com/welcome...tang-brackets/

Great product.
Old 9/20/13, 04:44 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Or....Move to Tennessee. We don't have front plates
Old 9/20/13, 04:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
Lucky you. Half of my tenants in my apartment don't have front plate. A cop could make a fortune in my area.
Old 9/20/13, 05:19 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Sky Hye

What's up my man! I've been here laying low. Lost my job and also got a new house so things have been hectic to say the least. Also got in a mild crash a few weeks ago, someone totaled my truck for me so dealing with chiropractors and lawyers and crap haha. I'm back now.

How's your pony? Any recent mods?
Sorry to heat that man. I hope you are better soon. As to mods, I have a thread in here about a supercharger.... :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by David Young
Luckily, Iowa doesn't heavily enforce this law.... Except for certain cities who have high quotas to meet lol

Quick Reply: To drill or not to drill