2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Drained battery with aftermarket radio

Search this Thread

Old 12/25/19, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drained battery with aftermarket radio

Hello. I've replaced the original radio with the Metra 99-5839CH kit. It does everything it is supposed to do. My steering wheel controls needed to be tweaked a little. Since the new installation, my battery dies. The battery lasts for about 2 days before complete drainage. I have yellow to yellow and red to red. Radio was professionally installed, although I am capable of doing it myself.
2014 GT Premium
Has anyone ran into this problem?

Sony XAV-AX200 radio Metra 99-5839CH Turbo Touch kit

Last edited by Lilward5; 12/25/19 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Forget to include car information
The following users liked this post:
Dizz_is_it (6/21/22)
Old 12/26/19, 06:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Obviously the radio has some small current draw even when it is turned off; I don't know if that is "normal" for that radio or if it indicates a wiring problem, but the people who sold it and installed it should know.
How old is the battery? It could be on its last legs and a new one might be able to stand up to that small current draw without going dead so quickly. I had a similar issue with my stock Shaker radio and it went away after I replaced the battery. Of course it won't last forever, because there is still that small current draw even with the factory radio, but it should last at least a couple weeks between charges.
Old 12/26/19, 07:21 AM

The original battery was a couple of years old. I replaced that one with a new one and the new one was doing the same thing.... lasting for about two days. I let the new battery trickle charge. When new battery was fully charged, put it in car, same thing. I had the second battery replaced under warranty. I uninstalled the aftermarket radio and put the factory radio back in, with new battery. My car has sat for four days with no battery issue. I've taken it back to the installers and they did a software upgrade on the new unit, no fix.
. Oh, I've even installed the aftermarket radio with the Sync display (to fool the system). Still didn't work.
I was thinking, maybe Sync is continuously searching for the factory radio. If so, is there a way to disable it or bypass?
Old 12/26/19, 09:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

hmmmm, I dunno . . . but the first thing is to narrow down where is the current draw; you can do this if you are so inclined by measuring the current through each fuse, but that is pretty tedious so it's probably worth paying someone who has the diagnostic equipment to find the current draw, then you can focus on that circuit, hope that helps
Old 12/26/19, 01:09 PM

I placed an ammeter at the battery. When I pulled the fuse to the radio, current dropped. I'm positive it's in the radio. I've even contemplated adding a switch at the fuse that will kill the radio, completely. I guess my next question would be "has anyone had an issue with the Metra install? " Maybe I'll start a new thread if this one goes dead, like my battery. 😉
Old 12/26/19, 01:13 PM

Edit: double post

Last edited by Lilward5; 12/26/19 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12/31/19, 09:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Lilward5
Hello. I've replaced the original radio with the Metra 99-5839CH kit. It does everything it is supposed to do. My steering wheel controls needed to be tweaked a little. Since the new installation, my battery dies. The battery lasts for about 2 days before complete drainage. I have yellow to yellow and red to red. Radio was professionally installed, although I am capable of doing it myself.
2014 GT Premium

what was your original radio?
Old 12/31/19, 10:49 PM

The original, is the factory shaker system.
Old 1/1/20, 07:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
The original, is the factory shaker system.
I wonder if the factory amps for the subs aren't shutting off, and that's what's draining the battery. The amps need a remote turn on signal to power on and I wonder if they wired the harness to feed them with that all the time.
Old 5/12/20, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I placed an ammeter at the battery. When I pulled the fuse to the radio, current dropped. I'm positive it's in the radio. I've even contemplated adding a switch at the fuse that will kill the radio, completely. I guess my next question would be "has anyone had an issue with the Metra install? " Maybe I'll start a new thread if this one goes dead, like my battery. 😉
Having the same issue with the Metra now. Were you able to find the cure. Have been jumping the car every 2 days if not driving it.

Old 7/19/20, 02:12 PM

Same issue, anyone resolve it?
Old 7/30/20, 07:10 PM

The original stereo was not properly undocked the

2014 GT Premium

The stereo shop did research and there's a certain way to deprogram/undock the factory stereo. My old stereo display does not work so they could not do it for me. However still charged me $260 to tell me this.

Last edited by Kelly Fulghum; 7/30/20 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Misspell
Old 7/31/20, 10:30 AM

They were able to fix it though?
Old 7/31/20, 08:13 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
I certainly hope so for $260!
Old 6/20/22, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kvnrm
Having the same issue with the Metra now. Were you able to find the cure. Have been jumping the car every 2 days if not driving it.
I purchased the Metra

99-5853CH

i’ve been experiencing parasitic draining of the battery. I’v experienced this after the installation of this kit. After letting my car sit for 2 nights the battery dies.

has anyone had this issue and solved this problem? Help!
Old 6/21/22, 07:17 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
I still have the stock shaker in mine so not familiar with your issue. Here is a trouble shooting site from Crutchfield. Give it a try.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-9iEGOt...MaAhbYEALw_wcB
Old 6/28/22, 08:06 PM

Bump.
Anyone figure out the metra dashkit issue?
Old 12/4/22, 09:21 PM

This might give you an answer. This was a person that had the same issue. apparently Syc keeps searching for the radio and drains the battery.

"I really wanted to like this kit. Had it professionally installed back in March on my 2012 convertible. Head unit is pioneer 8201. The best part was the installer removed the bracket behind the dash kit that allowed him to place the head unit in the upper position. I initially heard many complaints from other 2010 to 2014 base owners that they wished they could put the head unit in the upper location. You can. It's easy. The bad news is that I had one problem after another with the metra kit and many hours with crutchfield and metra trying to get it to work properly. I initially brought it back to the installer and after several phone calls to metra, with no results, he gave up. I really wanted to use this kit, so I attempted to work with crutchfield and metra on my own. To keep this brief crutchfield no longer sells this kit online. The biggest problem was that the ford sync did not recognize the kit. Metra will tell you that the oem radio must be removed properly for the sync to pick up the new radio. Oem radio must be turned off, powered down before removal. After car is powered down, it takes sync about 5 minutes to go into sleep mode. I waited much longer. Metra even tells you to leave the doors open while waiting for sync to power down to prevent accidentally activating sync when it's time to pull out the old radio. Theoretically when the new kit is put in, and the car turned on, it should detect a new radio and climate kit. It did not. Even with metra on the phone detailing the process, sync would not connect properly. The head unit worked, the climate controls worked, but sync would not "sync" up. It's also not apparent that it doesn't until a day and a half later when the car battery is dead. According to metra, when the ford sync can't find the new kit, it does not stop "searching" for it, even when the car is turned off. The continuous searching kills the battery quickly. After several month of frustration, I put in a maestro kit mus1. Extremely easy to install, no problems with sync, worked first time."
Old 2/26/23, 09:08 AM

Same problem. 4 after market radio attempts

Originally Posted by Donc1972
This might give you an answer. This was a person that had the same issue. apparently Syc keeps searching for the radio and drains the battery.

"I really wanted to like this kit. Had it professionally installed back in March on my 2012 convertible. Head unit is pioneer 8201. The best part was the installer removed the bracket behind the dash kit that allowed him to place the head unit in the upper position. I initially heard many complaints from other 2010 to 2014 base owners that they wished they could put the head unit in the upper location. You can. It's easy. The bad news is that I had one problem after another with the metra kit and many hours with crutchfield and metra trying to get it to work properly. I initially brought it back to the installer and after several phone calls to metra, with no results, he gave up. I really wanted to use this kit, so I attempted to work with crutchfield and metra on my own. To keep this brief crutchfield no longer sells this kit online. The biggest problem was that the ford sync did not recognize the kit. Metra will tell you that the oem radio must be removed properly for the sync to pick up the new radio. Oem radio must be turned off, powered down before removal. After car is powered down, it takes sync about 5 minutes to go into sleep mode. I waited much longer. Metra even tells you to leave the doors open while waiting for sync to power down to prevent accidentally activating sync when it's time to pull out the old radio. Theoretically when the new kit is put in, and the car turned on, it should detect a new radio and climate kit. It did not. Even with metra on the phone detailing the process, sync would not connect properly. The head unit worked, the climate controls worked, but sync would not "sync" up. It's also not apparent that it doesn't until a day and a half later when the car battery is dead. According to metra, when the ford sync can't find the new kit, it does not stop "searching" for it, even when the car is turned off. The continuous searching kills the battery quickly. After several month of frustration, I put in a maestro kit mus1. Extremely easy to install, no problems with sync, worked first time."
I have the Metra Kit as well and have tried 4 different stereos now. Same issue. I replaced Alternator last August and no issues until Metra Kit and after market radios. Unless I put on trickle charger daily, it’s dead after 30 hours of sitting. Current draw when off (and remained off overnight) is 1.08 AMPS constant. If I pull the Sync fuse, it’s still at .95. Pull the radio fuse with sync fuse in..still at .95.
I’m reading it should not be above .05.
if I pull the climate control fuse it still reads at 1.08 Amp draw.

I don’t think it’s an issue with the Metra HVAC controls, because I didn’t have battery issues with it installed by itself without a radio installed (as I waited for next radio to come in).

also, I replaced the battery a couple weeks ago, thinking that was just not holding charge, but now brand new battery will not hold.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by mwBeave; 2/26/23 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Add information
Old 2/27/23, 06:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mwBeave
... Current draw when off (and remained off overnight) is 1.08 AMPS constant. If I pull the Sync fuse, it’s still at .95. Pull the radio fuse with sync fuse in..still at .95.
I’m reading it should not be above .05.
if I pull the climate control fuse it still reads at 1.08 Amp draw.
Wow, 1 amp draw is huge and will kill the battery pretty quick, like you have seen .... I am not sure what else to suggest, so I'd keep pulling fuses until I found the circuit with the draw, that will help narrow it down

Quick Reply: Drained battery with aftermarket radio