Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dont know if any one saw this but....

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/09, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont know if any one saw this but....

This is from themustangnews.com on 9/6/09

This week has been filled with yet more revelations of new technology coming to the 2011 Mustang. Namely, Ford has two new engines headed for the 2011 Mustang that are a breath of fresh metal. The revolution starts with a new 3.7 liter DOHC V6 which is rumored to power out 315hp for the base 2011 Mustang. This will put the entry level model at a higher horsepower level than many legendary and iconic “Muscle Mustangs” of the past.

We’re talking the 1965 Shelby GT-350 at 271-306hp, 1969 BOSS 302 at 290hp, and all Fox Bodied Mustang 5.0 GT and Cobras ranging from 157-240hp. At 315hp this new base engine even out-powers many of the naturally aspirated 4.6 liter DOHC V8 engines found in the SVT Cobras and Mach 1 during the SN-95 years! When you consider this is the base Mustang you can get for under $25,000 with some options that is pretty remarkable.

This new engine has a number of technologies that get that power up including dual-overhead cams with variable valve timing. This allows infinite tuning of the cams on the fly by the engine control module. It is also rumored that direct injection is the key to that extra power above and beyond the 273hp that the 3.7 V6 puts out in Lincoln applications.

A 315 HP V6 I was only expecting that the 3.7 would be 275 to 280 but 315 that should stomp the maro, challenger, genesis, and should also be a handfull for the 370Z.
Old 9/14/09, 03:50 PM
Cobra Member

yea, old news. however!!! there was no confirmation on the HP numbers. The lincoln setup is a FWD or a AWD setup not really sure. Should be good for a little more than the lincoln setup. I take a guess and say if the gt comes with 400hp the v6 will be at 300, but just a guess on my part.
Old 9/14/09, 03:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good move by Ford to sell more GT's to current GT owners. Who want to have a V6 running around with the same or more hp than your GT? Either trade up or put a SC on it.
Old 9/15/09, 05:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i know it really doesnt apply to me now cause i still have another year to pay on my 06. then by that time the 11's or maybe 12's will be out and i will be right there. (hopefully if nothing happens) i was planning to wait anyway. are they still talking about changing the rear for the next year or so? i heard suttle changes but i dont mind the back. there are things you can do to make it look better.
Old 9/15/09, 07:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
Good move by Ford to sell more GT's to current GT owners. Who want to have a V6 running around with the same or more hp than your GT? Either trade up or put a SC on it.
Do you really think the base engine V6 will be marketed towards current or even past GT owners?
Old 9/15/09, 07:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Maybe not but do you want to have a V6 running around that can run with or out run your GT. You going to be happy if a '11 V6 pulls up next you you and beats ya with the same mods you have?
Old 9/15/09, 07:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe not but do you want to have a V6 running around that can run with or out run your GT. You going to be happy if a '11 V6 pulls up next you you and beats ya with the same mods you have?
Dude, that's why I'm considering buying a 2011 or building the engine up. It's called progress, things change, next year's tech is always better.

If the 2011 Mustang really does hit with a 315 hp V6 and better gas mileage, that thing'll sell like hotcakes. That's not a bad thing....

People who get mad because next year's product is better than last year's product seriously need a new set of priorities in life. Buying stuff to base your happiness off of is messed up. They should be buying a vacation for their family or therapy for themselves, not a car.

Besides, the V6 Mustang isn't the only sub-$30k car coming out next year that'll leave us outgunned on a stock basis. To expect Ford to not up the ante is asking them to possibly go out of business so you can enjoy your car. That's... not realistic?
Old 9/15/09, 07:53 AM

The torque won't be there with the 3.7...maybe if we're racing from an 80 roll to 120 MPH.
Old 9/15/09, 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by VA_Ford
The torque won't be there with the 3.7...maybe if we're racing from an 80 roll to 120 MPH.
Heh, everyone keeps mentioning torque as if it's in a vaccuum. What happens when you drop the weight of the 3.7 equipped Mustang by 150-200 lbs compared to the 4.6 3v V8? It may not be quite as fast, but darn if it won't be hot for the price.

I still don't like the sound of 6 cylinders though, I'll be keeping a V8 for as long as I can. But if next year's 6 is as fast as they say it's going to be, I think that bodes really nicely for next year's 8!
Old 9/15/09, 12:50 PM

Well said dixie if the 3.7 is going to be that bad *** then god only knows how bad *** the 5.0 will be.
Old 9/15/09, 05:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
Heh, everyone keeps mentioning torque as if it's in a vaccuum. What happens when you drop the weight of the 3.7 equipped Mustang by 150-200 lbs compared to the 4.6 3v V8? It may not be quite as fast, but darn if it won't be hot for the price.

I still don't like the sound of 6 cylinders though, I'll be keeping a V8 for as long as I can. But if next year's 6 is as fast as they say it's going to be, I think that bodes really nicely for next year's 8!
Plus it will have a 6 speed tranny, so the gearing advantage will be with the new car. It should be a pretty quick base model car. Faster than the venerable 5.0s were stock, albeit without as much ultimate potential.
Old 9/15/09, 05:57 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I believe that any Duratec DOHC V6 engine (3.0L, 3.5L, or 3.7L) would be better than the 4.0L Explorer/Ranger SOHC V6 engine we've been enduring since 2005. The 4.0L (and the 3.8/3.9L Vulcan V6's that preceded that) were very coarse sounding engines, whereas the Duratecs are sweet sounding (as far as V6's go) and love to rev.

I'll always be a V8 guy, but the 3.7L V6 would certainly be a good move in the Mustang in the grand scheme of things.
Old 9/15/09, 11:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I believe that any Duratec DOHC V6 engine (3.0L, 3.5L, or 3.7L) would be better than the 4.0L Explorer/Ranger SOHC V6 engine we've been enduring since 2005. The 4.0L (and the 3.8/3.9L Vulcan V6's that preceded that) were very coarse sounding engines, whereas the Duratecs are sweet sounding (as far as V6's go) and love to rev.

I'll always be a V8 guy, but the 3.7L V6 would certainly be a good move in the Mustang in the grand scheme of things.
Plus isn't the 4.0 design about 40 years old or something? (not that that's necessarily bad... I'm 47) But for a modern driveline component, it's pretty ancient. Here's an article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine

Plus I wouldn't turn down a new SHO (365hp tt v6) of someone gave it to me.
Old 9/16/09, 12:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm totally with you guys on this about the 3.7L's performance. If we get everything rumored, A 3.7L has to be right there with and 05-09 GT. With a higher redline, at least 6500 rpm, the average HP will be higher than we are use to seeing on a V6. I'm guessing the 3.7 will average 220 HP versus the 240 for a GT. The new engine should drop 50 pounds off of the car so it will be 200 pounds lighter than a GT. That's a pretty even race to me. The ace in the hole will be the AY6 manual tranny. I'm guessing 4.17 for first, 2.37 for second, and 1.54 for third. Best guess is 3.31s in the pumpkin. Based on these numbers (guesses!), the 3.7L will have a 15 percent mechnical advantage in first gear. 270 times 1.15 is 310. So the 3.7L should feel about the same as the GT off the line. I just don't see where a 05-09 GT will run away and hide.

Regarding progress, its natural and I think Ford was holding itself back for too longer thinking about how advancements might offend other folks. I think Ford should always offer the best product they can at any price point in the market. A 335 BMW has the same engine as a 535 so yes its faster. I don't think BMW was worried about offending 535 owners. All this said, I love a V8 and if I have the money I'll go with a 2011 GT. If I have to buy a V6 I'll sleep good knowing I have the best car at this price point.
Old 9/16/09, 12:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

I don't know where the DI rumors keep finding new legs. Just to keep the record straight, DI isn't happening on any, near future, naturally aspirated Ford engines including the 3.7L V6.
Old 9/16/09, 02:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
I don't know where the DI rumors keep finding new legs. Just to keep the record straight, DI isn't happening on any, near future, naturally aspirated Ford engines including the 3.7L V6.
That's what heard, DI was too expensive for what you get on a NA car. I think the DI rumor popped up when the 315 HP rumor came out. 315 is a big jump over the Lincoln so folks are trying to figure out where the extra power is coming from. I think you can make 315 HP with PI but it will need new cams and/or a short runner intake. Pike TQ might drop down to 260 as the powerband moves up.
Old 9/16/09, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

You have to remember that the Mustang isn't going to compete just against the Camaro (which has over 300hp with its V6), but also the 370Z, Hyundai Genesis and other cars along the same ilk. Not to mention the 3.7L V6 is lighter than the 4.0L V6 and it is also a cleaner powerplant with better fuel economy. The 3.5-3.7L V6 motors are really quite detuned in its FWD format. I mean for a 3.7L V6 to make 315hp is not a big feat. Thats only 85hp/litre, very doable for a car with VVT and the kind of compression the V6 is going to be running.

Here's what they said about an IRS for the Mustang..

If all of these technological dreams come to pass in the next year, the powers that be at Ford will have answered virtually every criticism of the Mustang that has existed. That is with the exception of the live axle rear suspension. While there is much debate in the press, in the enthusiast circles, and even at Ford about whether the Mustang should have a modern day rear suspension, one thing is clear. The rest of the world and even Ford has decided that an IRS is the best solution.

The Crown Victoria and Town Car are going out of production soon, leaving the Mustang as the only mainstream production car in the world with a live axle. While most Ford spokespeople and engineers we have talked to sell us on the notion that an IRS isn’t all that great or necessary, it hasn’t stopped them from installing it in every SUV they build and even one of their pick-up trucks. If you read the brochures for the Explorer, Sport-Trak, or the Expedition the benefits of IRS are extolled like virtues from heaven. Yet their own halo sports car does not need it? Something is amiss.

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 9/16/09 at 03:03 PM.
Old 9/23/09, 10:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
You have to remember that the Mustang isn't going to compete just against the Camaro (which has over 300hp with its V6), but also the 370Z, Hyundai Genesis and other cars along the same ilk. Not to mention the 3.7L V6 is lighter than the 4.0L V6 and it is also a cleaner powerplant with better fuel economy. The 3.5-3.7L V6 motors are really quite detuned in its FWD format. I mean for a 3.7L V6 to make 315hp is not a big feat. Thats only 85hp/litre, very doable for a car with VVT and the kind of compression the V6 is going to be running.

Here's what they said about an IRS for the Mustang..

If all of these technological dreams come to pass in the next year, the powers that be at Ford will have answered virtually every criticism of the Mustang that has existed. That is with the exception of the live axle rear suspension. While there is much debate in the press, in the enthusiast circles, and even at Ford about whether the Mustang should have a modern day rear suspension, one thing is clear. The rest of the world and even Ford has decided that an IRS is the best solution.

The Crown Victoria and Town Car are going out of production soon, leaving the Mustang as the only mainstream production car in the world with a live axle. While most Ford spokespeople and engineers we have talked to sell us on the notion that an IRS isn’t all that great or necessary, it hasn’t stopped them from installing it in every SUV they build and even one of their pick-up trucks. If you read the brochures for the Explorer, Sport-Trak, or the Expedition the benefits of IRS are extolled like virtues from heaven. Yet their own halo sports car does not need it? Something is amiss.

Dave
I suspect Mustang will sprout an IRS next major redesign, but at the moment I think simple business strategy and market supremacy keep the same from happening prior to such an event. The problem? Mustang arguably possess the best balance of ride and handling of any car in remotely the same price range/performance....and Ford isn't done with it yet. The 400hp+ 2011 Mustang GT with Track Pack will bring even greater suspension refinement and Brembo brakes to the table, not to mention what looks to be the greatest smallblock V8 in history. You are going to have an extremely tough time selling the board on an IRS setup when the Mustang appears poised to genuinely hammer the competition without it.

I think the best we can hope for prior to the majot makeover due for the 2014 model year is the plug and play setup long rumored for high end models like the GT500.

Last edited by jsaylor; 9/23/09 at 10:55 AM.
Old 9/23/09, 11:48 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah the 6's just don't have the sound. The sound for the SHO on the tv ad just doesn't get it. With all the tweaking they did on the Bullitt exhaust, you'd think they'd find a way to improve the V6's.
Old 9/23/09, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

You know what I love best about these V6 rumours?

I love that Ford is finally treating the base model as something more than a cheap stripped down version of the GT. The Fox models looked as if they were designed as the base model and then the GT added appearance and preformance to that base design, however ever since 94 it has been the opposite, where the basic design seems to have started with the GT, and the base model is just a stripped down version with wheels that are too small for the basic proportions, and an afterthought of an engine.

The 2010 base model looks great in its own right (some might even say better due to the clean and simple front end), and all it needed was an engine that is more than adequate to make it a great car rather than the "I couldn't afford a GT" model.

I think this new V6 will nothing short of revolutionary if it is what it is rumoured to be. It may just be the greatest performance baragin since the 5.0 LX.

Quick Reply: Dont know if any one saw this but....