2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Does the 5.0 need warming up?

Old 2/17/16, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Does the 5.0 need warming up?

Ever since I have owned my car i have always had to warm the car up for 1-2min. If I do not, when setting off the car will buck intermittently, once the revs drop on idle after 2 min its good. On my wifes car I can set off straight away and no issues.

Is there a problem or is it a characteristic of the coyote?
Old 2/17/16, 04:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm on my second Coyote and I'm a firm believer in warming it up no matter what air temp is outside. It is normal for it to sound like it's going
to sling a rod while it's warming up.

Last edited by TheReaper; 2/17/16 at 04:20 PM.
Old 2/17/16, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I think all engines need warming up. Most wear happens in the first few minutes after you fire it up. The oil has drained to the pan and is thicker until it warms up.
Old 2/17/16, 07:20 PM
V6 Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I warm mine up until oil temp reaches normal. Usually takes about 8 minutes depending on ambient temperature.
Old 2/17/16, 07:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Modern cars don't need to be warmed up, but I still like for it to run 30 seconds in the cold before I put it in D.
Old 2/17/16, 07:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I would agree with these gentlebeings. And I'm not saying anything in an attempt to dissuade one from doing a proper warming up to temperature, surely, because I honestly do believe it to be a good thing(tm).

However...

In my case, I just start her up, and since I backed her into the garage at night, I only let her idle a few seconds before moving her out of the garage. Exhaust gases aren't good for ya, y'know.

As I'm going to work, I... sort of... just creep out of the neighborhood until I get to the main road, not exerting too much... But I'll admit it's not a good warming up by the time I get to the main road.

And... well, when it's time to go home from work, I... sorta just start her up, idle for maybe a minute, then leave, because tired and wanna go home... but again I trundle slowly until main road. And not nearly as far as from home, although there might be some residual heat in the car...

And... well... 131000 miles later... she doesn't seem to be hurtin' in any way I can tell... drives normal all the time... so...

Yeah...

---

All that being said, it's a 4.6 and not a 5.0, but how dissimilar can they be?

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have even posted, but I'm a masochist, I suppose, ready for judgement/punishment. *click*

---
Edit: Mileage was wrong. Now it's not.

Last edited by houtex; 2/19/16 at 07:21 PM.
Old 2/17/16, 07:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Car warms up faster when you're driving it. Don't beat on it it'll be fine. I do let mine sit for 15 seconds to get the gearbox oil spread around a bit, otherwise it grinds a bit. Otherwise I keep it below 3000rpm and that's worked for every vehicle I've ever owned, including a truck I took to 300k.
Old 2/17/16, 07:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I pull up the gauges on the center display and take it easy on the car until the engine and transmission oils are at operating temperature.
Old 2/17/16, 09:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by houtex
I would agree with these gentlebeings. And I'm not saying anything in an attempt to dissuade one from doing a proper warming up to temperature, surely, because I honestly do believe it to be a good thing(tm).

However...

In my case, I just start her up, and since I backed her into the garage at night, I only let her idle a few seconds before moving her out of the garage. Exhaust gases aren't good for ya, y'know.

As I'm going to work, I... sort of... just creep out of the neighborhood until I get to the main road, not exerting too much... But I'll admit it's not a good warming up by the time I get to the main road.

And... well, when it's time to go home from work, I... sorta just start her up, idle for maybe a minute, then leave, because tired and wanna go home... but again I trundle slowly until main road. And not nearly as far as from home, although there might be some residual heat in the car...

And... well... 138000 miles later... she doesn't seem to be hurtin' in any way I can tell... drives normal all the time... so...

Yeah...

---

All that being said, it's a 4.6 and not a 5.0, but how dissimilar can they be?

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have even posted, but I'm a masochist, I suppose, ready for judgement/punishment. *click*
The 4.6 runs so smooth but the 5.0 sounds and feels like something inside is trying to get out.

Last edited by TheReaper; 2/17/16 at 09:10 PM.
Old 2/17/16, 10:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
I pull up the gauges on the center display and take it easy on the car until the engine and transmission oils are at operating temperature.
That's EXACTLY what I do also. Both of mine have a bit of cold piston slap (completely normal) when cold. I like the lubricants fully warmed and the piston skirts expanded before I put any driving load on the engine. It may not be required but I feel better about it, and my gears never have a cold nibble when shifting.
Old 2/17/16, 10:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
The 4.6 runs so smooth but the 5.0 sounds and feels like something inside is trying to get out.
That's the inner beast wanting to roar.
Old 2/18/16, 12:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trackpack13gt
Ever since I have owned my car i have always had to warm the car up for 1-2min. If I do not, when setting off the car will buck intermittently, once the revs drop on idle after 2 min its good. On my wifes car I can set off straight away and no issues.

Is there a problem or is it a characteristic of the coyote?
That sounds normal. Mine will fast idle on a cold start for just less than a minute, then I roll away. I've read the computer is using the idle, timing and mixture at startup to warm up the cats (stupid cats, grrrr).

I will drive reasonably letting it warm up for 15 minutes before going WOT.
Old 2/18/16, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
you might want to look into that, other than the high idle that all modern cars have, your car shouldnt sound like "something inside is trying to get out" only warming up the car needs is, not beating on it until the coolant temp reaches near normal levels. but warming the car up before driving off is not needed, when the temps are extremely cold, let it idle a minute or so before driving off
Old 2/18/16, 08:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I think most of you guys are doing what has been prescribed to me...mechanical empathy is the key here.

1)Start up, let it idle for a moment or two...15-30 seconds.
2)Drive as gently as possible until it's fully warm
3)Give it hell.

Last edited by MRGTX; 2/18/16 at 08:24 AM.
Old 2/18/16, 09:03 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
^ couldn't agree more. It is even MORE important for those of us folks who have crossed the Darkside. Normal Operating temp is much needed.
Old 2/18/16, 10:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravydog
my dad always tells me to let vehicles warm up, so the oil warms up, then I hear people saying it's not necessary with modern vehicles so I dunno
Remember, the engine is getting worn whether you drive it or not. If you let it sit for 10 minutes, that's however many miles you were going to drive anyways, PLUS 10 minutes. It's more wear when you warm up, and longer periods below operating temp.
Old 2/18/16, 10:49 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by scott_0
you might want to look into that, other than the high idle that all modern cars have, your car shouldnt sound like "something inside is trying to get out" only warming up the car needs is, not beating on it until the coolant temp reaches near normal levels. but warming the car up before driving off is not needed, when the temps are extremely cold, let it idle a minute or so before driving off
I was referring to the exhaust sound while the TI-VCT gets it's **** together.
Old 2/18/16, 11:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Once the idle drops, I'm gone. Cold mornings maybe I'll check traffic in my car, then go.

Modern cars y'all.

I do agree with the above stated about going easy on it though until normal op temps. No reason to redline a cold motor.
Old 2/18/16, 12:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I remember reading an article in Popular Mechanics by a researcher at the Argonne National Laboratory who was talking about fuel wash in terms of cold weather idle conditions. It isn't until the engine gets up to a certain temperature that the excess gasoline vapors actually get burnt off since the A/F ratio will become rich when it is cold. I try to wait 30 or 45 seconds and then off I go. Of course this is much different if you have forged internals though.
Old 2/18/16, 07:23 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,618 Posts
I let it return to idle after start up before I move. Then I baby it up to speed for about a mile then I'm good to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does the 5.0 need warming up?