Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diode Dynamics XML2 LED Fog Light Bulb Review

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/14, 12:13 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Diode Dynamics XML2 LED Fog Light Bulb Review

I didn't like how yellow the factory halogen fog bulbs were in my 2014 GT California Special. They did not match the factory HID headlamps so I installed a set of the new Cree XML2 LED H11 bulbs from Diode Dynamics.

The factory halogen bulbs barely put out any useable light, but the new LED bulbs have a lot more output. These aren't like the LED fog/DRL bulbs of the past, these actually light up the road with useable output and aren't just for looks. They do a great job in lighting up the road immediately in front of the car. I also found them to be great in illuminating the car's "10 and 2" regions such as the shoulders of the road. These are rated at 1,420 lumens, are completely waterproof, and have an integrated very quiet cooling fan.

These are THE answer to us guys with the crappy halogen fogs who want to match their factory HID headlights. The best part was not having to mount ballasts and run wiring/relays to the battery like you have to do with a HID fog conversion. These just plug in and go.

Diode Dynamics bulbs. Plug and play simple swap!

Installation was quite simple. All you have to do is remove the front plastic splashguard/deflector panel from under the front bumper. There are a bunch of 7mm screws holding it in place. At first I thought I would have to remove the C/S front splitter too, but it doesn't interfere with the removal of the deflector. I also dropped the plastic oil filter service panel (held in with 3 bolts) to aid in removal of the deflector. You will have direct access to the bulbs after that. You might want to drive the car up on some ramps or jack it up to give you extra room to see what you are doing up behind the fog lamp housings.

Here is the panel you have to remove

The only thing to note, at least on my car, is that the passenger side bulb housing "just" contacts the washer fluid tank. The bulb goes into the fog socket ok and everything, but the end of it is right there against the side of the washer tank. I put a small piece of foam 3M mounting tape in to mitigate any rubbing issues.

The ones I installed first were the 6000K color which was the initial offering from Diode Dynamics. They have a slight cool white look vs. the warm white factory HID headlamps.

Factory HID headlamps and standard halogen H11 fog bulbs

Factory HID headlamps and Diode Dynamics 6000K XML2 LED fog bulbs

Halogen fog bulbs

6000K XML2 LED fog bulbs

Halogen fog beam pattern

6000K Diode Dynamics XM-L2 LED beam pattern (perfect cutoff with no glare/blinding to oncoming drivers!)

6000K color temperature difference vs. factory HID headlamps

Diode Dynamics has excellent customer service along with a great return/exchange policy if you aren't satisfied. The 6000K color was a bit blue in comparison to the headlights for my tastes, so I exchanged them for the 4300K color. There is a $20 up-charge for any color other than the default 6000K color as Diode Dynamics has to de-solder off the old LED emitter chips and re-solder the new color LED chips by hand. This is a custom service they offer so that we can have more color options to suit our needs/tastes.

Here's some pics of what the new 4300K color temperature looks like. It is a much closer match compared to the blueish 6000K's but still ever so slightly warm in color temperature compared to the factory HID's and LED whisker lights.

Lastly, here are the pics of the 5000K color temperature Diode Dynamics XML2 fog bulbs. I have settled on the 5000K bulbs as the best match for my tastes to the OEM bulbs and LED whisker lights. Where I found the 4300K version slightly warm/halogen-like in comparison to the headlights and LED's, the 5000K version is a lot more pure white. The 5000K's are not an absolute perfect match as they have a VERY slight purple/blue hue along with the white compared to the headlights. If you have ever seen a 2013-2014 GT with its factory LED fogs coming your way at night, the 5000's look similar.

To make things simple: If you want more of a white/yellow warm look - go with the 4300K, if you want a futuristic pure white LED look with a hint of
blue - go 5000K, if you have aftermarket 6000K HID headlight bulbs or want a cool bluish-look - go with the 6000K version.

Pictures of the 5000K XML2 LED bulbs:

Car is now on the lift in storage mode facing the other way, so no garage door beam shots, sorry.
Headlights only, Fogs OFF

Headlights and Fogs ON

Fogs ONLY

Cell phone pics for color comparison

The following users liked this post:
tourer (5/4/16)
Old 12/14/14, 01:55 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice review - thanks! I hate how the stock fogs look so dull in comparison to the headlights. I'm going to have to ask Santa for a pair of these.
I want your garage!
Old 12/14/14, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review! Looks like a great upgrade!
Old 12/14/14, 03:14 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RubyRedMCA_Beast
Thanks for the review! Looks like a great upgrade!
plus one. I'm going to look at DD now
Old 12/14/14, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks for the info and the 5000k look the best. I'm about ready to ditch my h11 hids since they don't fire all of the time due to the auto on headlights. Looks like I will be ordering a set.
Old 12/15/14, 06:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have been waiting for true OUTPUT pics of these bulbs....I think you have got me sold on a pari. Thanks too for the color comparisons!!! I will be ordering a set soon!

HIDs are so much cheaper, BUT your right they are a tad bit more involved to install and like "Blown_CS" said they don't always fire on.

any chance of a Discount Code for Christmas on these Nick!?
ALSO, the website shows OUT OF STOCK on the 5k....any idea when they will be in?
thanks!

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 12/15/14 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12/15/14, 06:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice! Love 'em, might have to pick some up myself.
Old 12/15/14, 07:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice write up. I think that everyone agree's that the Fog lights are pretty much useless. the HID's on the 14's overpower the fog lights.

They look great and I'm sure function a lot better now! if I didn't get high beamed at least once a week, I would also consider upgrading my fogs for a bit more light ha-ha.
Old 12/15/14, 07:49 AM
GT Member

Thanks guys. These really do work well. Driving at night, they add a lot of useful "fill" light all around the front of the car.

I was disappointed to find out that my car didn't come with factory LED fog lights like the GT's do and these bulbs are definitely the answer to that shortcoming. Things can only get better/brighter from here with this Cree LED technology. These are the real deal.
Old 12/15/14, 11:54 AM
Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for the great pictures Chris!

To those of you who are interested in the XML2 in 4300K and 5000K, we are currently in the process of measuring samples and testing them to ensure the exact color temperature and output rating.

They are being manufactured alongside our 6000K models now rather than being hand-soldered. This will reduce any premature failure and ensure longevity.

It takes more time to do things properly, but it's necessary to provide the highest quality available.

We do offer free-shipping for U.S. forum members if you send us a PM (when they are available on the site)

Also, keep an eye on our site...we will be introducing some very unique and exciting new products for the 2013-2014 Mustangs that were designed by us here in St. Louis, and manufactured by us in-house.

Nick C.
Old 12/15/14, 01:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

^ Awesome, can't wait!
Any guess on timeframe of availability?
Old 12/15/14, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks fantastic
Old 12/15/14, 07:06 PM
V6 Member

Primo review, spells it out great.

I'll be getting a set in January.

/RZ
Old 1/22/15, 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Been checking the website every week for "IN STOCK" on the 5000k XML-2s...
Nothing!

Any word on when they will be available!?
I also got a 5% off coupon in my email for my next purchase....was hoping, just maybe.....
Old 1/23/15, 03:27 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Thanks for the great pictures Chris!

To those of you who are interested in the XML2 in 4300K and 5000K, we are currently in the process of measuring samples and testing them to ensure the exact color temperature and output rating.

They are being manufactured alongside our 6000K models now rather than being hand-soldered. This will reduce any premature failure and ensure longevity.

It takes more time to do things properly, but it's necessary to provide the highest quality available.

We do offer free-shipping for U.S. forum members if you send us a PM (when they are available on the site)

Also, keep an eye on our site...we will be introducing some very unique and exciting new products for the 2013-2014 Mustangs that were designed by us here in St. Louis, and manufactured by us in-house.

Nick C.
OP...congrats.

I think I posted a similar review in the fall last year. Nick is great to work with, and I love my XML2's in my current fogs.
Old 1/23/15, 06:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
OP...congrats.

I think I posted a similar review in the fall last year. Nick is great to work with, and I love my XML2's in my current fogs.
Thanks! Indeed, Diode Dynamics and Nick has been nothing but great with their product support. The XML2's are a huge upgrade for sure!

I hope they come back in stock soon for you, Nocturnal'14
Old 1/24/15, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Amazingly thorough and useful write-up! I wonder why Ford didn't just use the same bulbs they put in the grille-mounted GT foglights (the foglights on my '14 GT are the best stock setup I've ever seen)?

Anyway, awesome review... I read the whole thing and I don't even have a GT-CS! I particularly like the combination of the fogs without the headlights on (the LED strips combined with the fogs looks great).
Old 1/24/15, 01:33 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Waiting patiently for some for my car too

And my truck
Old 1/25/15, 03:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
Waiting patiently for some for my car too And my truck
I got the email notification....
5k Back in stock....promptly ordered them with my recent 5% off code!

One question of note, is there any "adjusting" of the fogs available? Right to left or up and down?

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 1/25/15 at 05:01 PM.
Old 1/26/15, 12:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
Amazingly thorough and useful write-up! I wonder why Ford didn't just use the same bulbs they put in the grille-mounted GT foglights (the foglights on my '14 GT are the best stock setup I've ever seen)?

Anyway, awesome review... I read the whole thing and I don't even have a GT-CS! I particularly like the combination of the fogs without the headlights on (the LED strips combined with the fogs looks great).
Thanks, Varilux! I appreciate that. The factory GT fogs are very nice-looking indeed. I don't know for sure, but it seems like they just reused the halogen projector fogs from the 2012 GT/CS in the 13's and 14's.

Quick Reply: Diode Dynamics XML2 LED Fog Light Bulb Review