2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

A diesel??

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/07 | 06:19 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by rhumb
Now whether the Mustang would ever have a diesel is another question. It would certainly be an actual "Bold Move," versus the vacuous marketing drivel that phrase represents now ... and the Mustang being merely a retro piece whose image is utterly mired in the past.
AND you drive a BMW M3.

Both of which logically make me wonder why you have any interest in the Mustang whatsoever.
Old 7/24/07 | 02:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Here's an interesting article about the new low sulpher diesels that will be coming out in a couple of years.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ure/index.html
Old 7/24/07 | 08:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Diesel engine technology is really advancing in leaps and bounds lately, driven especially in Europe by very high gas prices ($5+/gallon equivalent).
And driven by US emissions regs. It always bugs me to read about the newest super-duper BMW/VW/M-B diesel with variable geometry and/or dual stage turbos, high-pressure direct-injection, etc. Sorry, that's not that exotic...that's all been on heavy-duty on-road diesels for the past few years, and the new Ford/Chevy/Dodge light truck diesels all have that.
Old 7/24/07 | 08:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Low-sulfur fuels are absolutely critical to having a successful diesel market in North America.
Well, now that it's here, more diesels are coming. BMW, Nissan, and Chrysler are talking of selling more cars with diesels in the next few years. VW is rolling out its updated diesel for '08, too.
Old 7/25/07 | 10:25 AM

Maybe a diesel Mustang isn't that far off then?

Not sure I'd really want one though..........

Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
Well, now that it's here, more diesels are coming. BMW, Nissan, and Chrysler are talking of selling more cars with diesels in the next few years. VW is rolling out its updated diesel for '08, too.
Old 7/25/07 | 12:20 PM

Don't laugh about Mustang Diesels. I visit Europe every so often, and a good friend in France purchased an Alfa-Romeo GT (Diesel). I was laughing under my breath when he told me about the car, until I drove it. I think it had twin turbos, but may have been only one, don't remember. It has a 6 speed manual gearbox. Man that car flys. Got up over 100mph (160kph) quick as a flash and I had a big surprised look on my face while driving it. You can't say that Diesels are slow, because they are not. The only time the engine was noisey was when first started up cold. Otherwise, it was quiet. This friend has two other cars. A small Peugeot 106 (or 206, can't remember) gasoline, that his wife uses to go to and from work every day, plus he has a 14 year old Renault Safrain Diesel, with 300,000 km (187,000 miles) on it. The only things that have ever gone wrong with it was he replaced the alternator once and the starter once. Everything else, is original. He only uses it to go to and from work. Otherwise, they use the Alfa GT.

One more thing of interest. While there, he got a phone call from the Alfa Factory in Italy. (Not the dealer - Not the importer, but the Factory - woman spoke French with an Italian accent) She asked him how he liked the GT, how he liked the dealer, were there any concerns, questions like that. I told him that will be the day the factory calls me to find this information. Dealers may call, but never the factory. You can bet that when he is ready to replace his Safrain, he will be serious about buying an Alfa-Romeo sedan.
Old 7/26/07 | 07:17 AM
GT Member

Ford Group can make an economic Mustang if they install the 2.7 liter 24 valves twinturbo Jaguar/Land-Rover/Peugeot diesel engine?
Jaguar writes in his catalogue:
Jaguar´s 204bhp 2.7 litre twin turbocharged diesel engine features advanced technologies including the latest generation high pressure Common Rail direct injection fuel system and a lightweight Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI) cylinder block. It delivers enormous reserves of torque for swift and smooth overtaking, and offers improved fuel economy, and low emissions comfortably within the latest Euro IV requirements.

Specs:
204 HP of power
320lb-ft (435 Nm) Torque/ 80% of max torque available from just 1500 rpm!!
Performance:
0-60 mph in 7.8 (in Jag XJ) maybe 7.4? in Stang
mpg urban-extra urban combined with automatic:
35.0 in XJ / 36.0 in S-Type and 45.6 extra-urban !!!!!
or with manual
41.5 mpg combined.... Guzzler Tax?????

Ok you won't have the nice burble of a V8 but it's a powerfull engine with a lot of torque...
I drove this engine in a "Peugeot 407 Coupé" with a six speed automatic gear box, it's very powerfull has an attractive sound.
Yes it sound's "diesel" but it's a smooth 6 banger, not trucklike as the 4.0 Cologne....

If Ford want a V8 it exists on the Range Rover:
3.6 liter V8 32v turbo diesel:
271 Hp and
472 lb/ft of Torque
mpg 25.0 (combined) and 31.2 (extra urban) in the Range... ilt will be a lot better in a lighter Stang

Ford has solutions! But these engine are more expensive to produce: V8 engine, two turbochargers, special exhaust with filter etc...
Old 7/27/07 | 06:45 PM

If we can get a smooth diesel in the Mustang, then I could see it. It might be better then a Twin turbo?

Originally Posted by swissdan
Ford Group can make an economic Mustang if they install the 2.7 liter 24 valves twinturbo Jaguar/Land-Rover/Peugeot diesel engine?
Jaguar writes in his catalogue:
Jaguar´s 204bhp 2.7 litre twin turbocharged diesel engine features advanced technologies including the latest generation high pressure Common Rail direct injection fuel system and a lightweight Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI) cylinder block. It delivers enormous reserves of torque for swift and smooth overtaking, and offers improved fuel economy, and low emissions comfortably within the latest Euro IV requirements.

Specs:
204 HP of power
320lb-ft (435 Nm) Torque/ 80% of max torque available from just 1500 rpm!!
Performance:
0-60 mph in 7.8 (in Jag XJ) maybe 7.4? in Stang
mpg urban-extra urban combined with automatic:
35.0 in XJ / 36.0 in S-Type and 45.6 extra-urban !!!!!
or with manual
41.5 mpg combined.... Guzzler Tax?????

Ok you won't have the nice burble of a V8 but it's a powerfull engine with a lot of torque...
I drove this engine in a "Peugeot 407 Coupé" with a six speed automatic gear box, it's very powerfull has an attractive sound.
Yes it sound's "diesel" but it's a smooth 6 banger, not trucklike as the 4.0 Cologne....

If Ford want a V8 it exists on the Range Rover:
3.6 liter V8 32v turbo diesel:
271 Hp and
472 lb/ft of Torque
mpg 25.0 (combined) and 31.2 (extra urban) in the Range... ilt will be a lot better in a lighter Stang

Ford has solutions! But these engine are more expensive to produce: V8 engine, two turbochargers, special exhaust with filter etc...
Old 7/27/07 | 08:42 PM
Cam Tease

I'm counting on near-future charge compression ignition engines to save us from diesel Mustangs.
Old 7/28/07 | 08:21 PM

ford? diesels? i thought they were putting there limited resources toward the "twinforce" engine, you know, twin turbo gasoline?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/02/f...ds-production/
Old 8/1/07 | 07:20 PM

They're starting to use diesels in Airplanes too. Here's a link.

http://www.machinedesign.com/ASP/str...tedArticle.asp
Old 8/9/07 | 11:08 AM
I Have No Life

Too bad they don't put a diesel in these cars. Then perhaps, with biodiesel I could stand a chance at beating my brother-in-law at the track. His 4x4 pickup that weighs twice as much as my stang is running low 12's on biodiesel and the only mod he has other than the conversion to bio is a programmer. He is making over 700hp at the wheels.....ah, must be nice to get that power at approx 35 cents a litre