Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dead Battery Again...

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/20, 03:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Dead Battery Again...

i replaced the battery in june 2020 i have only put a few hundred kilometers on the car and when i parked the car in october 19,2020 i charged the battery up let the car run for approx 30 minutes and it has been parked since, Today December 16,2020 i went out to start the car and got the dreaded CLICK,CLICK,CLICK...dead battery, how often do you guys recommend starting these cars during winter months currently its 9c so it's not too bad, i do know the car has an intrusion alarm installed from factory,would this be enough to kill the battery in 2 months or should i look somewhere else?

my battery tester says the battery is fine when it's fully charged
my charging system tester hits about 14v when running at idle
car says charging system is fine
so i am at a loss where to start maybe i just need a battery tender during down time
Old 12/16/20, 04:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,501 Likes on 1,025 Posts
do I understand correctly: the last time you ran the car to charge the battery was in October?

If so -- yeah, that is definitely too long. There is always a small drain on the battery in these cars, to maintain the clock, the alarm, and other computer related stuff. Just a guess, but they probably need to be charged at least once a month.

During storage, it is better to use a charger or a battery tender (which is basically a trickle charger) rather than starting the car. If you start the car, but don't run it long enough to get good and hot, it can cause moisture build-up. So yeah I think a battery tender is the best idea.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
m05fastbackGT (12/16/20), shaneyusa (12/17/20)
Old 12/16/20, 04:57 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,602 Posts
I always keep a battery tender connected whenever my car is inside the garage, even on a daily basis. Needless to say, haven't ran into any drained battery issues since.
Old 12/17/20, 02:18 AM
V6 Member

i purchased a new battery for the car April 30.2020 and the car has been pretty much a very expensive driveway ornament.so i put a new battery in the car drove it 249.3km or (154.9 Miles) till the end of may as i was doing the light bar and cold air intake on it, the next month and a half i drove it 148.2km (92 Miles) and the last time i drove it i took it to fill it up in October with 94 octane added another 276.1km (172 Miles). i don't drive the car at all and i am currently looking to sell it but with christmas next week i don't expect to see any movement in the car market till probably march 2021 all-in-all i have put 1190.9km on the car since June 2019..Nobody wants to ride in it they say it's either too fast,too loud,or my favorite too low and it's stock height, i was going to take it back to the dealer and see if they were interested in it but like they all say dealers buy wholesale so i will get taken if i take it there, the car even comes with Flowmaster Outlaw cat-back exhaust that i had to take off as my neighbor complained to my landlord and was given 2 options change the exhaust or move it was now in my court and i needed to make the decision so i put the stock exhaust back on the car and pretty much gave up on it and parked it...419 miles in a year most people do that in 1 week i just lost interest in the car then covid-19 hit and in canada everything got shutdown so i just drove my mini-van everywhere because it was mainly going to get groceries and the mustang is always parked behind the van so it just easier to drive the van

taken the last time i drove the car
The following users liked this post:
dusman59 (12/17/20)
Old 12/17/20, 08:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
Definitely a lemon! I'll give you 7grand for it but you will have to deliver it? I would use a battery tender on any car that is not driven regularly and or disconnect the battery. It hurts any battery if you let it drain to nothing. Best wishes Happy Holidays
Old 12/17/20, 08:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,501 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Mustang_Driver
. . . ..Nobody wants to ride in it they say it's either too fast,too loud,or my favorite too low . . .
that sounds good to me -- perfect excuse to go for loud, fast, low rides all by yourself!
it usually works better that way, greatly reduces the annoying screaming coming from the other seats in the car . . . ;-)
shaneyusa (12/17/20)
Old 12/17/20, 09:31 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Very nice looking Stang!

Is it sitting mainly because of Covid? My Coupe saw less than 500 miles (800km) over 2020 because we did not go anywhere. Mainly just to stock up on groceries. But there was the occasional drive just because. Most of my miles were in the first half of March and some in September/October from boredom.

I would guess something is left on and pulling juice, draining it. New batteries should not go dead that fast. Has the car had any electrical items modified like stereo, nav, amplifier, etc.? How about the light bar is it possibly pulling juice? Any other mods that are electrical? I would look there first.

It really needs to be driven some, but now that the weather is not good (at least here) for convertibles or any Mustang, it really needs to be put away with a good modern charger (Like a C-Tek) or at worst a trickle charger until spring. Don't have to constantly charge, but maybe once a month top it off. I know the battery is supposed to be new, but you might check the battery fluid levels. Only fill with distilled water.

When you know the car is going to be sitting for long periods, like over the winter, you might want to also consider disconnecting the battery terminals. That will help with any drain issues until you can find them.

FYI, I never start mine once I prep it for winter storage (Nov - March). Not good on the engine unless it gets fully warmed up. But if you are running to charge the battery so you probably are running it long enough.

I know my 2014 coupe can sit for a month or maybe two on a 3 year old battery with no issues. So I would suspect something is pulling juice as yours is sitting idle.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 12/17/20 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12/17/20, 10:27 AM
V6 Member

in the convertible the window drops 1/2" to clear the top when opening it and closing it, my brother has a battery tender he's going to give me for it , and mostly the reason i don't drive it is the van is a handier vehicle that i never have to worry about because nobody wants to steal a ford mini-van and when i actually do get the car out of the driveway i pretty much have to make plans where nothing is happening, park the van in my alley way and usually something comes up and we take the van instead so no it's not all covid related. i bought it as a flip vehicle got a good deal on it and was going to sell it to begin with just nothing worked that way in 2020 in the usa car shows still went on for the longest time in april all gatherings here were limited to 25 cars or 50 people and you weren't allowed of your car, i am hoping next year is a better year, i'll get back on my feet ,back to work, then go on a proper vacation away from HOME
Old 12/17/20, 11:01 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,178 Likes on 1,625 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
that sounds good to me -- perfect excuse to go for loud, fast, low rides all by yourself!
it usually works better that way, greatly reduces the annoying screaming coming from the other seats in the car . . . ;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by Mustang Freak:
Bert (12/17/20), shaneyusa (12/17/20)
Old 12/17/20, 01:52 PM
V6 Member

yes it does sound good until all the expenses see here i pay $2400 per year for insurance for the car plus almost $8.00 per gallon of gas so having the car is nice but it's the insurance and gas that are killers
Old 12/17/20, 07:39 PM
V6 Member

well i just picked up a battery maintainer got the battery partially charged 76% then the charger crapped out the car started fine so i just left it run for over an hour hopefully that brought it up enough to get through to the weekend but like i said the car is going up for sale but it's too hard to sell in the winter, well here's to everyone and have a great christmas, we aren't doing christmas so please avoid all unnecessary travels and maybe see people in the new year
Old 12/18/20, 12:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
It is a very tough job for a maintainer to charge a dead battery. Its main job is to maintain a full charge on a already fully charged battery. For a dead or very low battery a battery charger should be used. Glad ya gotter going
m05fastbackGT (12/20/20)
Old 12/20/20, 02:56 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,602 Posts
What he said!