Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Custom tune and throttle lag

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/11, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Custom tune and throttle lag

One of the claims people make about getting a custom tune from Bama, Steeda, whoever, is that it eliminates throttle lag. Why does Ford - or any other manufacturer - program in this lag in the first place? Better fuel economy? Cleaner emissions? Or do most drivers think an engine feels smoother if it's throttle is less sensitive?
Old 3/3/11, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

less wear and tear on drivetrain, it is less stress on the transmission and axle , etc..
Old 3/3/11, 09:19 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShaneGT
less wear and tear on drivetrain, it is less stress on the transmission and axle , etc..
Bingo.
Old 3/3/11, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't discount emissions and fuel economy as a large reason why electronic throttle cars are designed with roll in.

It's not "lag" as you would think, but instead a rolling of the throttle at certain input points. Smooth throttle changes not only help with economy but reduces shock to the drive train as mentioned above.
Old 3/3/11, 10:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmounce
. . . Smooth throttle changes not only help with economy but reduces shock to the drive train as mentioned above.
maybe so, but it makes rev matching or "blipping" on down-shift an excercise in frustration
Old 3/6/11, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

It all depends on the throttle mapping of a stock car. If this were an 05-09 you'd be complaining about factory throttle hang. Every stock car has their quirks and their good characteristics as well. It all depends on finding the right aftermarket tune with the right amount of throttle response for you. Here at Bama, we put together a Street, Performance and Race tune, each with vastly different characteristics. One is going to be the one you enjoy the most. On top of that, our Free Tunes for Life program allows you to call us up whenever you need something tweaked for absolutely free.
Old 3/6/11, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShaneGT
I dont think so. What you are describing is torque management. The lag is there for safty from what I understand.
Old 3/6/11, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah but they're all put in place for multiple reasons. Throttle response is for warranty reasons and longevity just as it is for emissions and EPA. It's also there for safety. Throttle response, torque reduction, conservative air/fuel ratio and variable cam timing, aggressive knock sensors, etc. There's many ways that they keep power down, emissions down, longevity up, etc. The real issue is that the aftermarket doesn't really do anything to harm longevity. You can thrash a stock transmission just as fast as one that's been tuned (speaking generally the same power range). There's just more padding in place with an OE tune. They've got quite a few people watching what they do.
Old 3/6/11, 05:43 PM

I GOT A 2004 GT AND NOW I HEAR THE RELEASE BEARING STARTING TO MAKE A LIL NOISE WHEN IT IDLE. PRESS THE CLUTCH PEDAL AND IT STOPS. ANY HELP.
Old 3/6/11, 06:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Say what?
Old 3/6/11, 07:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by lyricjazz2003
I GOT A 2004 GT AND NOW I HEAR THE RELEASE BEARING STARTING TO MAKE A LIL NOISE WHEN IT IDLE. PRESS THE CLUTCH PEDAL AND IT STOPS. ANY HELP.
I think you posted in the wrong sub-forum
Old 3/8/11, 09:14 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the responses, guys. With the stock tune I don't even notice any throttle lag when accelerating, although I might notice a difference if/when I get a tune. It's when I take my foot off the gas that it seems like the rpm drop slowly, and it would be nice if a tune would negate that slowness.
Old 3/12/11, 05:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
It's when I take my foot off the gas that it seems like the rpm drop slowly, and it would be nice if a tune would negate that slowness.
I'd like that as well.....just seems to hang up there too long and takes its time coming down.
Old 3/12/11, 05:17 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In both the FRPP and Steeda tunes I've tested, the car is noticeably smoother. You gain a lot of precision in the throttle, since the lag/delay is eliminated. After releasing the gas, the engine will decel quicker than stock. Now, I don't have exact measurements, but based on driving with both, these are my findings.

From my time talking with the Ford Racing engineer who tuned my car, he brought up the areas they typically change. Both throttle lag and engine braking are two major points. Seems like for the masses, they "fluff" those a bit to make the car smoother. For the enthusiast crowd, we don't care for that. Taking some of the padding out makes the car feel more alive.
Old 3/12/11, 05:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the responses, guys. With the stock tune I don't even notice any throttle lag when accelerating, although I might notice a difference if/when I get a tune.
Bingo. I had no idea what people were talking about when they said "throttle lag" until I got my tune. I wouldn't classify it as a "lag" per-say, because it felt like how I thought it should...you, know, just like any other car... its just that when you get a tune you have instant power. Its pretty shocking the first time! very noticeable!

Last edited by codeman94; 3/12/11 at 05:59 AM.
Old 3/13/11, 08:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

. . . It's when I take my foot off the gas that it seems like the rpm drop slowly, and it would be nice if a tune would negate that slowness.
Yeah, that drives me nuts too . . . glad to know I'm not the only one . . .

When I push in the clutch to shift, the RPM's always go up a little bit. I ask myself "what did you do, push in the clutch before you let off the gas???" so then I very carefully make sure it's 1) off the gas, then 2) push in clutch . . . and it still happens.

Tuner coming this spring!
Old 3/13/11, 10:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Bert

Tuner coming this spring!
Oh and by the way John, when you do get that tune in the spring , please change that avatar at the same time !
Old 3/13/11, 02:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
. . . please change that avatar at the same time !
LOL . . . yes, the snow is finally melting and it's almost time for a spring tune, spring shine and a fresh spring avatar!

Last edited by Bert; 3/13/11 at 02:26 PM.
Old 3/13/11, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Hahaha... what throttle lag?? *tunes car* OHHH! That throttle lag...
Old 3/13/11, 07:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
Hahaha... what throttle lag?? *tunes car* OHHH! That throttle lag...
Exactly

Quick Reply: Custom tune and throttle lag