Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Curious how many folks have kids that ride full time in the Stang

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/10, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curious how many folks have kids that ride full time in the Stang

I am 100% set on getting this car, but starting to have the guilt factor kick-in of having the kiddos (10 & 7) stuck in the back of the Stang. How many of you have kids that ride in the back without b*tching and moaning the whole time about being uncomfortable?
Old 5/5/10, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ours does, both to and from school, about 20 miles round-trip. He's 6½ and above average height-wise, but with the passenger seat pushed up a bit, it's not a problem. Now I CAN say that if there were another kid sitting behind me, THEY would likely be uncomfortable because I have my seat back pretty far (I'm 5' 11"). Just some food for thought.
Old 5/5/10, 10:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I've sat behind my parents in our 2000. Those kids will be fine, and definitely will NOT be complaining about riding in the back of a brand new Mustang.

Btw I was about 5'8" the last time I sat behind them, but I'm 5'10" now, and even then I've sat in the back of a Mustang, and yeah it's not the most comfortable for long trips, but it's doable. I wouldn't be worrying about a couple of small kids.

Not to mention the S197 has a pretty significant increase in interior room...
Old 5/5/10, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Okay - good deal! That makes me feel better

I wonder how long it will take the 10 year old to start asking when the car will be his! haha
Old 5/5/10, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Assuming both kids can ride in back without booster seats in your state and aren't freakishly tall for their age, they will be just fine. We just had a new booster law passed in our fine state, so where last year my six and seven year old children could ride in the back with no booster seats, they are required by law to be in boosters starting earlier this year. Unfortunately boosters are a real pain in the back of a S197 Mustang, since the seat bottom isn't flat. My kids love bing in the back of my Mustang(s) and always encourage me to punch it.
Old 5/5/10, 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

The new Mustang is far better than some of the vehicles I dealt with growing up.
  • Vega Wagon
  • VW Beetle
  • Jeep CJ-7
  • F-150 Supercab

It's about equivalent to the (then new) 86 Thunderbird that we got when I was 12. Me and my brother were more than happy to ride around in the back because the car was so cool.
Old 5/5/10, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
The new Mustang is far better than some of the vehicles I dealt with growing up.
  • Vega Wagon
  • VW Beetle
  • Jeep CJ-7
  • F-150 Supercab

It's about equivalent to the (then new) 86 Thunderbird that we got when I was 12. Me and my brother were more than happy to ride around in the back because the car was so cool.
VW Beetle & F-150 Supercab! That is quite a variation - haha
Old 5/5/10, 12:58 PM
GT Member

I'm 6'5" and both my 11 and 13 year old are pretty tall for their age. If we're riding as a family we don't take the mustang as my seat is pretty much against the back. If I'm just driving the kids without my wife then we're good to go with my 13 year old in the front passenger and my 11 year old in the back of her. I can and have squeezed in another kid behind me but then I'm basically driving with my knees. :P
Old 5/5/10, 01:00 PM
GT Member

Oh and as far as *****ing and moaning... as long as the tops down they could be shoved in the glove box and wouldn't complain. I've used my car for my sons Youth Football Homecoming parade and had 5 kids crammed in it. :P
Old 5/5/10, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

The back seats are not uncomfortable. Small for an adult perhaps, but we are not talking about adults. If they want to complain, let them complain. But it's kind of like having them complain because you wouldn't let them eat pop tarts for dinner.
Old 5/5/10, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Skotty
The back seats are not uncomfortable. Small for an adult perhaps, but we are not talking about adults. If they want to complain, let them complain. But it's kind of like having them complain because you wouldn't let them eat pop tarts for dinner.
HAHA - very true! I guess the only other thing that concerns me is the lack of curtain airbags. I wonder if the front side airbags will be long enough to cover the back passengers too in the event of a crash.
Old 5/5/10, 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

My two kids are 10 and 7 also, they always wanna take the Mustang. I always ask them if it's ok back there,
and they say there fine.
Old 5/5/10, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by yugoboss
My two kids are 10 and 7 also, they always wanna take the Mustang. I always ask them if it's ok back there,
and they say there fine.
Perfect! Thanks
Old 5/5/10, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

BTW my kid rides in a booster seat. Yeah, it slides a bit, but if you put a towel under it, that helps.

EDIT: Re: your sig, I really like a similar quote by Einstein -- "The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has limits."

Last edited by MusicMan66; 5/5/10 at 01:54 PM.
Old 5/5/10, 02:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by MusicMan66
. . . I really like a similar quote by Einstein -- "The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has limits."
sorry about the hijack, I know this is off topic, but -- I wonder if Einstein really said all those things?

some other good ones (maybe a little mis-quoted):

"the most powerful force in the universe is compound interest"

"we cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that created them"
Old 5/5/10, 02:17 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeejolts
  • Vega Wagon
  • VW Beetle
  • Jeep CJ-7
  • F-150 Supercab
LOL Reminds me of my HS senior summer. Me and 3 buddies went backpacking in Rocky Mt Natl Park/CO and drove from St. Louis and back in a 74 Pinto. I was 5'6" and since the driver and I were the shortest, that left me in the back seat. God I hate Kansas! (and Eastern CO too!)
Old 5/5/10, 02:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My kids are 9 and 7 and they love every minute of riding in the Mustang. It's my only car so the only other choice for them is walking!
Old 5/5/10, 03:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MusicMan66
BTW my kid rides in a booster seat. Yeah, it slides a bit, but if you put a towel under it, that helps.

EDIT: Re: your sig, I really like a similar quote by Einstein -- "The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has limits."
Good one! My favorite saying of all time is - I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter
Old 5/5/10, 03:46 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm 5'7 and have no problems riding in the back of an SN95 with a 5'9 driver, and since the S197 is bigger, I say you'll be good.
Old 5/5/10, 03:53 PM
V6 Member

For those using booster seats, any advice on the model (not to be confused with the rear facing seat thread)?
Also, as an fyi ,there was a thread on here about a month ago and someone posted stating not to put stuff under booster seats (towels, noodles, etc.) due to possible compression during a crash. I can look for it and link it later tonight if need be, but it was on this forum not too long ago.

Quick Reply: Curious how many folks have kids that ride full time in the Stang