Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Coyote question

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/09, 12:14 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coyote question

Hi everybody, long time reader, member of a few other forums, but I felt it about time to post here. (This seems to be where new info surfaces, the other forum I post on is good for discussion and bouncing ideas)

Anyway, I have heard a lot of stuff about the Coyote, and it all has the blood pumping through my veins pretty hard. I do have one thing I don't believe has been discussed yet. Not the most exciting thing to discuss, but has anyone heard anything about cylinder deactivation being in the cards for the Coyote?
If there is going to be any hope of V8s surviving the government's CAFE tampering I feel this will have to at least have to be in the picture, but the earlier the public can enjoy it the better. If we can get a 400+hp 5.0 GT we will all be ecstatic. When we factor in the new engine tech and six speed transmissions (manual and auto right?) we should hopefully already have a tolerable mileage rating, but with cylinder deactivation we will be able to have our cake and eat a little more of it on a daily basis, right? I mean bang for the buck can include daily cost, too, right?
If Boomer, or any other tipsters have a clue at all I would love to hear everybody's thoughts. Man I can't wait until the LA Auto show to hear what Ford officially states. Maybe then you insiders can be a little less circumspect in your information sharing.
Old 10/19/09, 12:36 AM
Cobra Member

i havent head of cylinder deactivation but hey, it might be revealed at the LA auto show. as for the mileage, lol thats only good if the driver keeps his foot out of it...thatd be hard for me honestly.
Old 10/19/09, 12:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Ford is going to have to include cylinder deactivation to stay competitive going forward. I have a friend who owned a daytona charger and he would get 28 mpg highway driving 75-80mph. Pretty cool stuff, cause that's what my 2 liter audi gets under the same conditions. Imagine if it had cylinder deactivation! You don't need much horsepower to keep the car rolling. Looking forward to it.
Old 10/19/09, 07:17 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm going to guess no...
Old 10/19/09, 11:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Boomer
I'm going to guess no...
That's a shame, because I've seen articles that claim improvements of 5%-7% around town and as much as 15%-20% in steady state cruise situations. I'm sure results vary greatly, but we should be implementing as many of these technologies as possible. The days of cheap fuel are ending.
Old 10/19/09, 11:40 AM
V6 Member

Yeah, that's a real bummer. I know one of the major reasons we shouldn't expect direct injection is because of the high cost of implementation, but cylinder deactivation does not sound like an especially difficult technology to tack on. I don't think it would get in the way of those who want to mod the motors either, ie give tuners any trouble. It could likely even be turned off in a tune, just tell the ecu the parameters for deactivation are such that they never happen. Seems like a cheap way to boost your mileage numbers and, thus, public perception as a somewhat more responsible muscle car. I know some of the Camaro guys like to talk smack because they have more horsepower and better mileage. Not cool. Granted they have their transmissions castrating their engines to do it, but still. Maybe in a year or two?
Old 10/19/09, 12:01 PM
Cobra R Member

The source is 2 years old- and I'm not sure on the reliability of it but take it for what you want...

"The new V8 engine is likely to have cylinder deactivation technology for better fuel economy, and is thought to be a bigger version of the overhead cam modular engine family. Ford has denied that the engine will have cylinder deactivation, but the company is working on such a system in certain engines. Cylinder deactivation shuts down up to half the cylinders in a V8 when the engine is not under load, and both Chrysler and GM have been able to achieve fuel savings using this technology."

Check it out here

I mean, personally- I'd go 90% no. 10% yes.

You have to take into account the engine uses a significantly lighter aluminum block, the 6 speed, and other tweaks should still improve the economy of the engine anywhere from maybe 1-4mpg? I'd say look for the deactivation in the 2014-15 gen perhaps. As it will give Ford constant improvement in engine tech and continue to improve upon it's fuel efficiency.

But as it's always been said- "we'll have to wait and see..."
Old 10/19/09, 12:03 PM
I Have No Life

Again, I'm not actually sure if it does or not...

Does the dodge do it on manual cars?
I know the LS3 doesn't with the manuals... but the L99 has it implemented (and sounds like kaka with nice mufflers in 4 banger mode)

I'll keep my 8 cylinders running myself thank you very much
Old 10/19/09, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've never driven anything with cylinder deactivation, but I'm really not a fan of the technology in general. It may have its place in certain V8 powered sedans, but in a sports/muscle car I just don't see the need. If you're that worried about saving a few MPG you probably should just go for the V6. Modern V8s are pretty reasonable on fuel consumption, especially if you know how to drive a manual economically when necessary.
Old 10/19/09, 12:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Boomer
Again, I'm not actually sure if it does or not...

Does the dodge do it on manual cars?
I know the LS3 doesn't with the manuals... but the L99 has it implemented (and sounds like kaka with nice mufflers in 4 banger mode)

I'll keep my 8 cylinders running myself thank you very much
I can only find dodges and hondas with autos that have this technology, but apparently it's seamless. The big advantage is on the highway cruising which is most of the driving I do, so I would be on board for this. Yeah, a 400 hp Boss (don't care about v8 or ecoboost v6) with independent rear, 6 speed powershift transmission (ford's dsg), cylinder deactivation, and 3200lb curb weight. Maybe in 2014?
Old 10/19/09, 12:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Clino
I've never driven anything with cylinder deactivation, but I'm really not a fan of the technology in general. It may have its place in certain V8 powered sedans, but in a sports/muscle car I just don't see the need. If you're that worried about saving a few MPG you probably should just go for the V6. Modern V8s are pretty reasonable on fuel consumption, especially if you know how to drive a manual economically when necessary.
Why should we be settling for "pretty reasonable" for a daily driver when the technology is out there and accessible? I can see not worrying about saving gas with a weekend garage queen, but as a culture, I think we need to start worrying about economizing in a myriad of ways daily. What about an ecoboost v6 with cylinder deactivation?
Old 10/19/09, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smitty
I can only find dodges and hondas with autos that have this technology, but apparently it's seamless. The big advantage is on the highway cruising which is most of the driving I do, so I would be on board for this. Yeah, a 400 hp Boss (don't care about v8 or ecoboost v6) with independent rear, 6 speed powershift transmission (ford's dsg), cylinder deactivation, and 3200lb curb weight. Maybe in 2014?
I've been traveling between school in Newport, RI and my home near Smithfield, VA every two to three weeks for the last year - 620 miles one-way. My 2006 Honda Odyssey with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM, which drops the V6 down to three cylinders when cruising) averages about 23 mpg while my 2008 Bullitt Mustang averages around 26 to 27 mpg. Granted there's about a 400 lb. difference in vehicle weight, but I enjoy the fact that I spend less in gas when I make the trip in the Bullitt (It should be important to note that my theory regarding defensive driving is based on a good offense).

Honda's VCM - at least in 2006 - is not seamless either. I can hear and feel the transition taking place as the engine switches between three and six cylinder power.
Old 10/19/09, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have seen almost 28 mpg on the highway at 70 to 80 mph with my GT.
Old 10/19/09, 02:00 PM
eci
Banned

With current safety requirements the only way you will see a 3200lb Stang is if they make the car tiny or extensive use of carbon fiber, which will make the car have the pricetag of a Z06.
Old 10/19/09, 02:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Dig-It Racing
I've been traveling between school in Newport, RI and my home near Smithfield, VA every two to three weeks for the last year - 620 miles one-way. My 2006 Honda Odyssey with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM, which drops the V6 down to three cylinders when cruising) averages about 23 mpg while my 2008 Bullitt Mustang averages around 26 to 27 mpg. Granted there's about a 400 lb. difference in vehicle weight, but I enjoy the fact that I spend less in gas when I make the trip in the Bullitt (It should be important to note that my theory regarding defensive driving is based on a good offense).

Honda's VCM - at least in 2006 - is not seamless either. I can hear and feel the transition taking place as the engine switches between three and six cylinder power.
Thats really pretty good for a minivan. Good to have real world feedback and not just magazine tests. My '09 bullitt with frpp supercharger knocks down 23 mpg highway at 75-80 mph, but overall I see about 20 on avg. I think when I go to a custom intake (to incorporate my bullitt cai) and tune, this will improve as the ford tune is rich off the scale. (like 10:1 air fuel ratio at wot) I also ascribe to your theory of defensive driving. Who would have thought a 400 hp car could avg. 20 mpg? It's only going to get better with things like cylinder deactivation, DI, etc. Ford has a culture of doing these things stepwise (deliberately) though. Not too many changes at once. I mean, the 4.0 is basically 40 years old and updated.

I think I might put up with a little transition roughness for the mileage. I'm sure these things will be ironed out with time.

That's great mileage for the bullitt!
Old 10/19/09, 02:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eci
With current safety requirements the only way you will see a 3200lb Stang is if they make the car tiny or extensive use of carbon fiber, which will make the car have the pricetag of a Z06.
Yeah I know. It's just a wish list. One of the ways to keep our powerful cars in the future though is going to be with liteness. (is that a word?) My priorities are fun to drive and economy. While I'm obviously nostalgic about the classic layout of the mustang with a v8, I think it's days are numbered. I had an '03 5-door svt focus that I still miss because it was so fun overall. I sold it to my brother-in-law, so I still get to drive it sometimes. That car or similar with an ecoboost 4 and limited slip would be an absolute riot! Anyway, I've gotten off topic. Sorry.
Old 10/20/09, 09:57 AM
GT Member

Not to bounce around in the topic, but I have a Chrysler T&C that gets 22 ave MPG - no deactivation. Not bad condisering...

Ok, the Dodge MDS went through alot of growing pains in development and initial release... They have hammered out most of the bugs by now...

The current Dodge MDS is seamless when it turns on and off. You only know it's on by the little light on the dash. It can be performance tuned, from what a friend that has a Charger said, the tune shuts the MDS off.
Old 10/20/09, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I know. It's just a wish list. One of the ways to keep our powerful cars in the future though is going to be with liteness. (is that a word?) My priorities are fun to drive and economy. While I'm obviously nostalgic about the classic layout of the mustang with a v8, I think it's days are numbered. I had an '03 5-door svt focus that I still miss because it was so fun overall. I sold it to my brother-in-law, so I still get to drive it sometimes. That car or similar with an ecoboost 4 and limited slip would be an absolute riot! Anyway, I've gotten off topic. Sorry.
They made 5-door SVT Focuses? I thought only 3-door
Old 10/20/09, 10:28 AM
I Have No Life

If they had a switch by default to be able to toggle it on or off....
I'm all for it.
Old 10/20/09, 10:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by jedikd
They made 5-door SVT Focuses? I thought only 3-door
Yes, and I'm thinking about buying it back if my brother-in-law ever wants to sell it. Hids, heated seats and mirrors, sunroof, audiophile stereo... a premium small car and in alot of ways, nicer than my bullitt. But my first test drive of the '05 mustang gave me the "grass is greener" syndrome. No regrets. I'd just like to work out a way to have both. If they turbo a fiesta, I'd go for that too. Ford has some great suspension tuners on staff, and I like that they are starting to bring some of their European product to the states. About time.

Quick Reply: Coyote question