2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Couple 2013 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/11, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple 2013 Questions

I'm going to hopefully be buying my first Mustang this coming spring, whooo!

Anyways, I will be graduating from college and have an accounting job lined up for which I am quite excited about. I was fortunate enough to have had my parents buy me a car when I was 16, my current 2005 V6 Mustang, which I have taken very good care of for quite some time. As much as it pains me to be thinking about trading her in, I would like to upgrade to a 2013 Boss 302, or maybe even a used 2011/12 GT500, or if I can get a good deal, maybe even the 2013 GT500. I have a couple questions regarding the 2013 lineup.

I understand that current MSRP on most Boss' range around $45,000 nicely equipped, and that used GT500s are around $52,000 equally equipped. Would it be safe to assume that with the increase in HP and options that the 2013 GT500 will be priced somewhere near 58,000-60,000 MSRP, not including the dealer markup? I've been playing around with Ford's pricing model on the website concerning trade in and down payment as well as looking at aproximate financing term and rates I could expect, and have been thinking that a GT500, at least the '13 model year is likely not within my budget. That said, I was thinking the route of maybe going with a used 2011/12 GT500 or '13 Boss.

Concering new GT500's, for example the '12 model, are the dealers actually coming off the price? I remember a while back that most dealerships had rediculous markups the cars, and that it was near impossible to get one at invoice. Is that still the case?

Concerning the Boss, is it considered a taboo to remove the side c-stripes on the car? I know the '13 no longer has the hood blackout panel on it, and personally I have always been partial to racing stripes. I am especially fond of the Black/Grabber Blue Stripe combo. I've always paid attention to how I have modified my current car, and like to think that I'm in a way a purist as far as how to style the car, but I must say that I am ignorant to how the Mustang community views the C-stripe.

Another question I have is as I have yet to drive either car, on a daily driver (weather permitting) basis, which car is more "friendly" to drive. I understand that both of these cars are beasts in their own right, and I can handle the bumpy ride in most cases, yet which one is more subdued?

Last but certainly not least, and I expect few if anyone has info on this yet, but does anyone suspect that the '13 taillight configuration and GT500 rear fascia will be available in the future to modify exisiting GT500s if I went the used route? I think that the new GT500 rear end is hands down one of the most correct and beautiful looking rear ends on a Mustang Ford has ever come up with, and would love to be able to switch it over to an '11/'12 if I went that route.

I'm sure I'll have more questions but I'm about to run to a class, and will check up on this later.

Thanks everyone for contributing in advance.

Also this is my 2005, she's got 70,000 miles on her, but you'd never know it.

Last edited by Its A Six; 11/22/11 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11/22/11, 03:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey buddy, welcome aboard!! I'll be happy to answer your questions (I am a salesman, been on these boards since 2004, helped alot of people on here and they all know me as a straight up fellow). For the 2013 model year, I estimate the price for a Boss 302 to be around $44000 give or take. A loaded 2012 with the Recaro/Torsen package and car cover stickers for $43,575. I expect the price to rise slightly with SYNC being added and such. Figure $44,000 for a good idea. Most places should sell this at MSRP at first. If any place you inquire to adds a markup, run away and don't look back.

That goes with the GT500 as well. While you can look for used 2011s, you can purchase a 2012 GT500 at X-Plan currently. The car was removed from the exclusion list last year. If you join Mustang Club of America (a $50 cost), that emables you to purchase a Ford at X-Plan. That said, you have to find a dealer willing to sell a GT500 at that price. After seeing how many 2012 are left (and 2011s still), most dealers should take this deal and run. If I had a 2012, I would offer it to anyone eligible for X-Plan (and I have to friends in my Mustang club). The discount is about $5000 off a loaded car with Electronics and SVT Package (MSRP of around $55K). Look into this avenue before a used car (unless the deal is too good to pass up).

About the stripes, its not taboo, but it would severely hamper its value, if you ever were to trade it in or sell it. Its part of the car. But for 2013, the stripes are not C-stripes anymore but hockey stick style (see a 1970 Boss 302 for example). This style is the famous ones used by Parnelli Jones back in 1970 Trans-Am racing days.

You could drive both cars every day if you want. Just remember, on a Boss, the tires are really summer only type. They get traction when they warm up. In cold temps, they will be kinda slick as they are hard until they warm. Ford even says the tires are for temps over 40 degrees. But that can be easily recitifed by a tire/wheel swap for winter driving. The GT500 are Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, and they are a little better than the Boss tires. But changing them would be a good idea.

As for the taillight conversion and rear bumper, until someone (KC Maybe if he still is working in the parts dept at Clevenger) looks into it closer, its a guess. The taillights may not work as easily as the kink forward is on the 2012 models, and the 2013 is more straight.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply or send me a PM. Thanks for posting up and that is a SWEET Mustang you got!!!
Old 11/22/11, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
My advice to you is to keep the old car and not take on a huge new load of debt just as you begin a new job.

I don't know what your salary is, of course, but people just out of college don't tend to earn six figures, so I'm pretty comfortable guessing that you won't, either. This economy is so weak, you could lose that job in no time.

If you must buy a new Mustang, just settle for the base GT, which, with the trade in, might be affordable for you.

Sorry to be a downer, but I just don't think new college grads should be buying $45,000 cars on loan. Try to be patient. Assuming you're successful at your job and get a few promotions, you may be able to afford a Boss a few years down the road. And by then, a used Boss will also be an option.
Old 11/22/11, 03:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by danimal15
My advice to you is to keep the old car and not take on a huge new load of debt just as you begin a new job.

I don't know what your salary is, of course, but people just out of college don't tend to earn six figures, so I'm pretty comfortable guessing that you won't, either. This economy is so weak, you could lose that job in no time.

If you must buy a new Mustang, just settle for the base GT, which, with the trade in, might be affordable for you.

Sorry to be a downer, but I just don't think new college grads should be buying $45,000 cars on loan. Try to be patient. Assuming you're successful at your job and get a few promotions, you may be able to afford a Boss a few years down the road. And by then, a used Boss will also be an option.
Great advise Dan . I was so fixated on answering his questions, I didn't answer the one if it was a good idea. If you must have a GT, a base is ALOT better place to start. But if you can wait a little while until you get your job settled and such, its a good idea. Debt is NEVER a good thing!!
Old 11/22/11, 05:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Debt is NEVER a good thing!!
If it weren't for debt, I wouldn't have my '11 5.0L, and I wouldn't have had any of the cool Mustangs I've had in the last 25 years. They only Mustang I've ever been able to pay cash for was a used '75 Mach 1 thirty years ago. Wow, so glad that car is long gone! Debt is simply a necessary evil for most of us.
Old 11/22/11, 05:52 PM
Cobra Member

While I understand debt is a necessary thing for most of us I don't believe it's necessary to jump right into fresh out of college....a nice accounting job that's already lined up seems pretty solid, but I'd layt off for awhile...maybe even a year into the game prioritize everything and save for a large down payment and don't rush into anything....regardless it's your money I just had to chime in....your V6 is pretty nice man!!
Old 11/22/11, 06:39 PM
GT Member

I would never buy new, the car is worth several thousand less once you drive it off the lot and no one cares what you payed for it when you have to sell it. If you get a gt500 or a boss depends on what your plans are with the car. If you are never going to take the car to the track or if you want to customize the car to make it your own don't get the boss. It's resale will be based on it being original. Also the gt500 should have a better street ride stock as its not track ready. But if you just want a daily driver I also would just get a 5.0.

Last edited by GT1000; 11/22/11 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11/22/11, 06:43 PM
Cobra Member

GET A REPO!!!!! They're a lot cheaper
Old 11/22/11, 07:35 PM
GT Member

Jeff how far are u from NYC? I want a 13 gt500 so bad and if I can convince the mrs I will go to u. Do u forsee u guys selling them at x-plan?
Old 11/22/11, 08:25 PM
FR500 Member

I suggest you do one of two things:
- wait exactly one year and grab a good deal on the 2013's
- wait two years to see what's coming in 2014 (as a MY2015) car. In my view the 2015 car will likely be a whole other beast. Once you see what's it will be like you can choose to grab one of the current generation or get the new one.
Old 11/22/11, 08:37 PM
GT Member

Hey buddy, welcome aboard!! I'll be happy to answer your questions (I am a salesman, been on these boards since 2004, helped alot of people on here and they all know me as a straight up fellow). For the 2013 model year, I estimate the price for a Boss 302 to be around $44000 give or take. A loaded 2012 with the Recaro/Torsen package and car cover stickers for $43,575. I expect the price to rise slightly with SYNC being added and such. Figure $44,000 for a good idea. Most places should sell this at MSRP at first. If any place you inquire to adds a markup, run away and don't look back.

That goes with the GT500 as well. While you can look for used 2011s, you can purchase a 2012 GT500 at X-Plan currently. The car was removed from the exclusion list last year. If you join Mustang Club of America (a $50 cost), that emables you to purchase a Ford at X-Plan. That said, you have to find a dealer willing to sell a GT500 at that price. After seeing how many 2012 are left (and 2011s still), most dealers should take this deal and run. If I had a 2012, I would offer it to anyone eligible for X-Plan (and I have to friends in my Mustang club). The discount is about $5000 off a loaded car with Electronics and SVT Package (MSRP of around $55K). Look into this avenue before a used car (unless the deal is too good to pass up).

About the stripes, its not taboo, but it would severely hamper its value, if you ever were to trade it in or sell it. Its part of the car. But for 2013, the stripes are not C-stripes anymore but hockey stick style (see a 1970 Boss 302 for example). This style is the famous ones used by Parnelli Jones back in 1970 Trans-Am racing days.

You could drive both cars every day if you want. Just remember, on a Boss, the tires are really summer only type. They get traction when they warm up. In cold temps, they will be kinda slick as they are hard until they warm. Ford even says the tires are for temps over 40 degrees. But that can be easily recitifed by a tire/wheel swap for winter driving. The GT500 are Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, and they are a little better than the Boss tires. But changing them would be a good idea.

As for the taillight conversion and rear bumper, until someone (KC Maybe if he still is working in the parts dept at Clevenger) looks into it closer, its a guess. The taillights may not work as easily as the kink forward is on the 2012 models, and the 2013 is more straight.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply or send me a PM. Thanks for posting up and that is a SWEET Mustang you got!!!
How to u get the X plan?
Old 11/22/11, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LMNO
How to u get the X plan?
1. Be an employee at a company that has a partnership with Ford.
2. https://themustangsource.com/f726/fo...ustang-475147/
Old 11/22/11, 11:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

How to u get the X plan?
Join the MCA

http://www.mustang.org/content.php/2...or-MCA-Members
Old 11/23/11, 01:16 AM

You are incredibly helpful and very sincere sounding, as well as many of the others in this thread. I really appreciate the information. The more information I have, the better educated estimate I can make regarding my situation. Again I appreciate it. I have always wondered what exactly that X-Pin/Plan thread was. Also, it is nice to know that the dealer markups from hell that everyone hated so much a while back are beginning to, or already have, subsided. I may be PM'ing you in the future pending my situation.

Originally Posted by Shelby08
While I understand debt is a necessary thing for most of us I don't believe it's necessary to jump right into fresh out of college....a nice accounting job that's already lined up seems pretty solid, but I'd layt off for awhile...maybe even a year into the game prioritize everything and save for a large down payment and don't rush into anything....regardless it's your money I just had to chime in....your V6 is pretty nice man!!
I completely agree. I guess I should phrase better, I am not looking definitively to pick a car up asap. If things fall into place, and a deal arises that seems tough to pass up, it's good to be armed with enough information to make an educated decision. Thanks for the compliment!

Originally Posted by GT1000
I would never buy new, the car is worth several thousand less once you drive it off the lot and no one cares what you payed for it when you have to sell it. If you get a gt500 or a boss depends on what your plans are with the car. If you are never going to take the car to the track or if you want to customize the car to make it your own don't get the boss. It's resale will be based on it being original. Also the gt500 should have a better street ride stock as its not track ready. But if you just want a daily driver I also would just get a 5.0.
Originally Posted by PTRocks
I suggest you do one of two things:
- wait exactly one year and grab a good deal on the 2013's
- wait two years to see what's coming in 2014 (as a MY2015) car. In my view the 2015 car will likely be a whole other beast. Once you see what's it will be like you can choose to grab one of the current generation or get the new one.
I completely agree again here. I know the car depreciates the second it comes off the lot. That said, is the X-Plan purchasing deal allowed only on new cars? Or would it also perhaps be offered on a used car, if I were to wait a year or so, and look at picking up either model in the spring of 2013?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the info! I think ideally I'd like the payments to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $575-$675 a month, over the course of a 60 month term. Think this is roughly possible? Also, make no doubt, I certainly do not want to immediately charge into a sizable portion of debt. Understand that I would only consider the cars new provided I get a fair value on my trade in, and that I have a sizable down payment waiting to be put down (Shouldn't be too hard ).

Cheers!

Last edited by Its A Six; 11/23/11 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11/23/11, 01:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by danimal15

I have to agree with him ^

Building on that I see that you're very excited about getting a new mustang for graduating college, but also remember you may be changing jobs a few times before you settle on one, what if you can't afford to make the payments on time of you don't stay at the job? (hope for the best prepare for the worst)

Lastly, and i dont mean to be blunt about it but unless you got the full upfront cash or at least half the total price on cash it will be difficult to get approved if you haven't financed a car before; gotta get your credit history built up.

So I would go up to a 2010 GT something you can afford right away and get the credit history building up before u hit with a Boss 302
Old 11/23/11, 04:25 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's not turn this into a "how are you affording it" discussion. OP has some legitimate questions about the cars, so let's answer them.

Currently, you can buy a 2011-2012 GT500 on X-plan, but I doubt that the '13 models will have that luxury. There's still a lot to learn about what the '13 is going to offer, but we should know more once the order/pricing guides are posted here in the coming months.

You're in a 'sweet spot' right now. You can either order a '12 right now and know what to expect, or wait a bit longer and pull the trigger on a '13 if you're a fan of the styling & options they offer.

I've started a '13 retrofit thread (see my signature) for all of the items that the '10-12 owners are interested in. I've taken particular attention to the taillamps, and have been working on a swap with the limited information I have at this point. Keep an eye on that thread as more info is released to see what is able to be swapped and what isn't.
Old 11/23/11, 07:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
If it weren't for debt, I wouldn't have my '11 5.0L, and I wouldn't have had any of the cool Mustangs I've had in the last 25 years. They only Mustang I've ever been able to pay cash for was a used '75 Mach 1 thirty years ago. Wow, so glad that car is long gone! Debt is simply a necessary evil for most of us.
Yeah, I kinda messed that one up a bit, lol!! Debt is a necessity but when you want it is the deciding factor. Right out of college may not be the best thing. Sorry about that Brian.
Old 11/23/11, 07:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by COYOTEHP
Jeff how far are u from NYC? I want a 13 gt500 so bad and if I can convince the mrs I will go to u. Do u forsee u guys selling them at x-plan?
I'm about 25 miles north of Philadelphia. Give me a call one day and I can talk to you about the GT500. If you ask me, I believe whole-heartedly that the 2013s will be back on the excluded list for X-Plan (since its a pretty big update). Give me a call. I'd love to chat one day. Number is in my sig.
Old 11/23/11, 07:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

How to u get the X plan?
Originally Posted by dogiebitt
1. Be an employee at a company that has a partnership with Ford.
2. https://themustangsource.com/f726/fo...ustang-475147/
Originally Posted by Hytek
The easiest way (if your employer isn't a partner on the list of companies, or if you don't want to wait the 6 months after the stock purchase) is what Hytek posted. Pay $50, and you get the car at a great price!!
Old 11/23/11, 07:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Its A Six
You are incredibly helpful and very sincere sounding, as well as many of the others in this thread. I really appreciate the information. The more information I have, the better educated estimate I can make regarding my situation. Again I appreciate it. I have always wondered what exactly that X-Pin/Plan thread was. Also, it is nice to know that the dealer markups from hell that everyone hated so much a while back are beginning to, or already have, subsided. I may be PM'ing you in the future pending my situation.

Cheers!
I look forward to chatting with you in the future as well!!

Quick Reply: Couple 2013 Questions