Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cost:Benefit analysis: Keep the '11 GT or trade it for 2015 in while possible?

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/15, 02:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Im glad i got a brand new 2014 just in time.

I much prefer the styling and driving dynamics of my car. I drove a 2015, it feels more refined, nimble and european... but thats not what im looking for. I like the feeling of the s197 as it has more of a raw characteristic to it. American muscle baby, the last of a dying breed. If i wanted a european sports car id bite the bullet and finance something in that high end range.

22k miles is nothing OP, especially with a big v8. Its good for 200k miles no problem. The only thing the 2015 has going for it is the interior feels nicer. Its more of an illusion though since they can play around with design layouts and faux materials and instill that thought without much craftsmanship or quality to back it up. As i say, it only feels nicer, i guarantee it didnt cost more to make.

You also forgot the major con for a 2015 being that it is a first model year, and with a company like ford get ready for TSB gallore and various other issues. If anything wait for 2016 till some kinks get worked out.
Old 1/23/15, 03:21 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Mike... we've known each other a while. I always thought you were a S197 lover?

Tough question. The 2015 is "ok" to me. I wouldn't mind having it alongside my S197, but I'd never give up mine for it.

I read through all your pro's and con's, and the arguments you make for/against the cost differences is all valid. Can't refute that. So, only you can answer your financial situation. I don't like car payments, so whenever we get cars, I make sure (if possible) that there is little to no payments at all.

The rest are subjective. If you love a car, you love a car. You buy it because you LOVE it. That's why I bought my car in the first place. Don't just buy a car because it's "ok"...or because you "weren't blown away". That in itself is reason to make the smart choice, and keep your current.

My 2 cents. But ultimately, your call.
Old 1/23/15, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't think anybody should be buying a car, especially this particular type of car, unless they love it. If there's even a whiff of "meh" in there, then the 2015 is not for you. It's gotta make YOU feel good, it's gotta make YOU feel special. If it doesn't do that, it's a lotta change down the toilet.

Sounds like you want something new for the sake of having something new, and your pros/cons lists are trying to rationalize it. That's a terrible reason to spend that kind of money.
Old 1/23/15, 05:19 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
I really don't think anybody should be buying a car, especially this particular type of car, unless they love it. If there's even a whiff of "meh" in there, then the 2015 is not for you. It's gotta make YOU feel good, it's gotta make YOU feel special. If it doesn't do that, it's a lotta change down the toilet. Sounds like you want something new for the sake of having something new, and your pros/cons lists are trying to rationalize it. That's a terrible reason to spend that kind of money.
That's a good point about feeling good. I've had buyer's remorse on a lot of stuff over the years but not even tinge of regret over my '14. I've been drooling for years looking at them in mags and online. Plus I had 12 great years with my 2000 so there was no trepidation in my purchase.
Old 1/23/15, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My opinion keep the 11. If you are going stock for stock the 15 is going to be better choice. But if we are talking mods, I'd rather drive a modded 11 over a stock 15.

Get some new wheels and tires as well as shocks and springs and its like its a completely different car. It will look 1000x better and will only cost $2000-3000 for everything when its all said and done. Waaaaayyyy cheaper than spending $35-40k for something new. Plus the wheels will carry over when you decide to get a S550 in the future. That's what I would do.
Old 1/23/15, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
My vote is also to keep the 11. If you have an "early build" 11 which had a new power train, and trade it for a first year 15 I'd expect you'll have more problems since the rest of the car is new.

I think the 15 looks ok for a fusion coupe, but meh for a Mustang. The 11-14 screams MUSTANG. And $1500 in suspension upgrades will go a long way with these cars. Unless you track it all you really need are better shocks and maybe some springs.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 1/23/15 at 06:55 PM.
Old 1/23/15, 07:48 PM
GT Member

I found myself in a similar situation, and I'll give you some advice I feel would have been helpful at the time.

My last car was a 2013 Focus ST st2 package, brand new in black. It was absolutely perfect for me and I was coming from the focus community waiting for the ST to come stateside for a long time. I had it for a while and I (and many others in my area) was a victim of a terrible hailstorm... Putting $10k of damage on my already depreciated car... The damage was so extensive it was going to have every removable panel replaced... Except the roof would have been cut and welded... Which I was not cool with. It really hurt my feelings because I loved that car to death! So since I was still early in my payments, I had to take it to a shop to get fixed instead of pocketing the insurance $ and private selling..

Long story short, I saw the most beautiful mustang gt on the lot with performance only options and it really struck a chord with me... Took it for a test drive and fell in love. Problem was... I loved my car, but it was going to be months to fix and it would probably never be the same... But if I bought the Stang and traded it... I would be taking a big hit... That said they were clearing the 2014s at that time and I got it for a very good price, and after much deliberating I came out with my 2014 Ruby red gt track pack mustang

Logically, wasn't the best choice. I should have waited for my car to get fixed and just kept it til it was out of warranty and got rid of it... But... The mustang hit me in a way I wasn't expecting. Color, sound, speed, feel, look. Perfect. The mpgs suck... It's not a fantastic interior like the ST... But it's barebones. All function.. And I like that. Simplicity was key for me.

I hope this helps. It comes down to how the car moves you! That said... I'm waiting for an AWD Focus RS to get released with the 2.3 EB motor... And I'll struggle not to trade haha I've wanted an RS ever since I watched Jeremy Clarkson drive one on Top Gear.

Just remember... For the most part, we don't buy anything logically... We buy emotionally and back it up with logic. So if that car doesn't move you, don't buy it. A mustang isn't the most logical/practical choice in any case... But we back it up with all the little things like it has rear seats and decent cargo volume... Even though it isn't really practical at all compared to a hatchback econobox :P
Old 1/23/15, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by VidPro
That's a good point about feeling good. I've had buyer's remorse on a lot of stuff over the years but not even tinge of regret over my '14. I've been drooling for years looking at them in mags and online. Plus I had 12 great years with my 2000 so there was no trepidation in my purchase.
I hear you. This is my first Mustang. I was a Mustang hater years ago. When the 05's came out I started paying attention. Fell in love when the 11 came out. Liked the 15 initially but the more I looked at it the more things I didn't like, and pounced on a factory order 14 while I had the chance. Zero remorse. None. Love it. Adore it. It feels special. Crappy day at work? Go for a drive. All is forgotten. You can pry the keys from my cold dead hands. I haven't felt this "at home" in a car, maybe ever.
Old 1/23/15, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Have you guys driven one? What did you think?
Yes. I have a review posted here:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...postid=7168362 I should post a copy on TMS but I'm waiting for a 'review' thread...

Bottom line - the 15's don't wow me... yet. I'm gonna wait till they do.
Old 1/23/15, 10:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
How have you guys considered this quandry? How did you make your decision?

I'm astonishingly stuck straight in the middle on this one:

Keep my 2011 GT BBP with 22,000 miles or trade it while the trading is good?

I had a test drive of a '15 GT PP/6spd car back in the fall (detailed in a thread in the 2015 forum) and I liked it...better in many objective ways than my 2011 GT but not as much fun in other subjective measures. Regardless of how close these cars are on paper, the 2015 certainly didn't feel as quick as my S197.

I wasn't blown away.

Pros of keeping the '11:
No more car payments
I really like the bodystyle and the way the car looks, drives, sounds
I'll have a budget to start modding

Cons of keeping the '11:
22,000 miles means I'm getting near some major expenses
Will need $1200 of tires in the spring
Early build 2011 could mean that I'm on borrowed time with failures
Suspension mods I want will be like a $20 shine on a $3 pair of boots

Pros of trading in for a 2015:
Low mileage/condition of my '11 resulted in a good trade offer (for now)
Starting over with a fresh warranty
Car will handle better in stock form than '11 will with mods
Much cheaper to opt for Recaro seats in a '15 than to add them to '11
Vastly improved Coyote engine with greater potential for mods
Performance Pack equipment is very desirable
Improved MT82
Track apps and access all that lovely data would be fun- costly to add to '11

Cons of trading in for a 2015
I'll have to finance a portion of the purchase price (~35% or so)
I'll have to say goodbye to a car I really like
Very likely to be significant upgrades for '16/'17 (as has been the pattern)
I dislike the idea of a slower accelerating, heavier car
Just can't get my head around the looks...

Honestly, this is a great problem to have. I love my S197...I'd love the '15 too.

What are your thoughts? Why did you decide to keep your S197?
I really only want to touch on one part of your statement because its quite interesting. You say Con's about your 11.
" 22,000 miles means I'm getting near some major expenses"

What major expenses could a 22k mile car have? I have 135k miles on our Mazda MPV and runs like its brand new. Not one major expense. My 2011 mustang has 44k miles on it and not one major or minor expense. If I had a mustang that needed major expenses near 22k, that would be my last mustang.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/23/15 at 10:17 PM.
Old 1/23/15, 11:04 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
, that would be my last mustang.

The gift that keeps on giving

Old 1/23/15, 11:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

The gift that keeps on giving

Lol.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/23/15 at 11:09 PM.
Old 1/24/15, 12:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
I really don't think anybody should be buying a car, especially this particular type of car, unless they love it. If there's even a whiff of "meh" in there, then the 2015 is not for you. It's gotta make YOU feel good, it's gotta make YOU feel special. If it doesn't do that, it's a lotta change down the toilet.

Sounds like you want something new for the sake of having something new, and your pros/cons lists are trying to rationalize it. That's a terrible reason to spend that kind of money.
Best answer here. And 22k miles is a long ways away from major expenses.
Old 1/25/15, 06:25 AM
GT Member

I haven't had a Mustang since my '04 GT. I traded a fully optioned Corvette for the BOSS, yet in it's crude and functional way, I just can't get out of it! I love it! The Torsen whines, the shifter clunks, the engine howls, the exhaust gurgles and pops, it is almost an exact duplicate of a 60's muscle car. I wouldn't have it any other way! Did I mention it hits bumps like a 90's F-250?
I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THIS CAR! This fans is what it is REALLY all about!
Old 1/25/15, 07:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BOSS MAN 13
I haven't had a Mustang since my '04 GT. I traded a fully optioned Corvette for the BOSS, yet in it's crude and functional way, I just can't get out of it! I love it! The Torsen whines, the shifter clunks, the engine howls, the exhaust gurgles and pops, it is almost an exact duplicate of a 60's muscle car. I wouldn't have it any other way! Did I mention it hits bumps like a 90's F-250?
I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THIS CAR! This fans is what it is REALLY all about!
Amen.
Old 1/25/15, 07:38 AM
GT Member

Keep your 2011. It is the best looking front end and lighter. I have 48,000 miles on my motor with no issues.
Old 1/25/15, 07:57 AM
GT Member

I love my boss. I am interested in a gt350 in a couple years. Its the only s550 I see myself trading into.

My boss has 15k on it. I can still get 35k+ for it.

Sit and wait...
Old 1/25/15, 01:02 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read this whole thread and don't post often but here's my advice:

Let's say you buy the 2015. A year from now, the novelty of new is gone and you're driving a mustang just like now. I also noticed that older mustangs become increasingly scarce. Even the new edge is rare now and when I see them I feel nostalgia and my head turns. What about well kept fox bodies or 60's cars? Even rarer and something special. So you'll be another "me too" 2015 mustang. I wonder how many of the 1st gen guys traded in for the mustang 2 in the 70's only to regret it decades later? Not to say the 2015 is even remotely similar to a mustang 2, but each gen has its own charm that gets better with age.

Five years from now, there will be a newer faster mustang and then what? You spend more money to have the next newer and better and faster and we start all over again.

My 2012 won my heart from german sport sedans that I had previously. It still makes me feel special every day and I've relegated to weekend and fun driving only so to save it for many many years. I can't wait for the day when it's a rare sight on the road. And it'll be paid off and modded to my exacting tastes. It'll be like the 68 or 69 that pulls up at cars and coffee and everyone forgets the new car to admire the well kept vintage mustang. People will say "they don't make 'em like that anymore."

What I'm saying here is: buy what makes you happy because of how it makes you feel and will make you feel in the future. Not because it's new. Otherwise you'll never be happy for a long long time. What's new now is yesterday's news tomorrow. I remember when the boss was big news. Now it's the older slower model compared to the gt350. But mine is mine, and I love it for its character.

Last edited by Johnny5alive; 1/25/15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 1/25/15, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
without writing a wall of text, I will say dont do it.
If for no reason you look at it and you dont like something, and your forcing yourself just to like it, for reason of " if new, it must be better" mentality, it will haunt you down in the future. When the moment has passed and you get used to the car, then you question yourself if it was worth it all along, and might kick yourself for wasting money on a car, you dont really needed, or not liked from some aspect.
Old 1/25/15, 01:51 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check this out:

Www.petrolicious.com

Some of the guys there bought brand new. What if they had the mentality of newer is always better?

Quick Reply: Cost:Benefit analysis: Keep the '11 GT or trade it for 2015 in while possible?