Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cost:Benefit analysis: Keep the '11 GT or trade it for 2015 in while possible?

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/15, 06:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Cost:Benefit analysis: Keep the '11 GT or trade it for 2015 in while possible?

How have you guys considered this quandry? How did you make your decision?

I'm astonishingly stuck straight in the middle on this one:

Keep my 2011 GT BBP with 22,000 miles or trade it while the trading is good?

I had a test drive of a '15 GT PP/6spd car back in the fall (detailed in a thread in the 2015 forum) and I liked it...better in many objective ways than my 2011 GT but not as much fun in other subjective measures. Regardless of how close these cars are on paper, the 2015 certainly didn't feel as quick as my S197.

I wasn't blown away.

Pros of keeping the '11:
No more car payments
I really like the bodystyle and the way the car looks, drives, sounds
I'll have a budget to start modding

Cons of keeping the '11:
22,000 miles means I'm getting near some major expenses
Will need $1200 of tires in the spring
Early build 2011 could mean that I'm on borrowed time with failures
Suspension mods I want will be like a $20 shine on a $3 pair of boots

Pros of trading in for a 2015:
Low mileage/condition of my '11 resulted in a good trade offer (for now)
Starting over with a fresh warranty
Car will handle better in stock form than '11 will with mods
Much cheaper to opt for Recaro seats in a '15 than to add them to '11
Vastly improved Coyote engine with greater potential for mods
Performance Pack equipment is very desirable
Improved MT82
Track apps and access all that lovely data would be fun- costly to add to '11

Cons of trading in for a 2015
I'll have to finance a portion of the purchase price (~35% or so)
I'll have to say goodbye to a car I really like
Very likely to be significant upgrades for '16/'17 (as has been the pattern)
I dislike the idea of a slower accelerating, heavier car
Just can't get my head around the looks...

Honestly, this is a great problem to have. I love my S197...I'd love the '15 too.

What are your thoughts? Why did you decide to keep your S197?

Last edited by MRGTX; 1/23/15 at 06:28 AM.
Old 1/23/15, 06:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is quite a difficult decision to make. I would say keep the 11. Like you said, you aren't in love with the 15 like you are with your current GT. I don't know what large expenses you are adding up in your head. I also don't know where you got the frame of mind that your current car won't handle as well if not better than the 15. We all know the 15 is slower than our generation. I think you are right on the money with the refresh comment. There will be plenty of bugs to be worked out in the next couple of years. Unless you are getting a 50th car specifically, I would wait to see what happens. This would give you some time to NOT HAVE A CAR PAYMENT and give you the freedom to enjoy your current GT without worry. You could always spring for some performance driving courses.

I'm not in the position you are in. I checked out the 15's here in Germany. There are only two for sale in the local area. I'm not impressed. The interior is nice but not nice enough for me to want one.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 1/23/15, 07:12 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
"I dislike the idea of a slower accelerating, heavier car
Just can't get my head around the looks..."

If these were my cons (which they are) I wouldn't do it. If you don't like the looks I don't think you'll be happy.

The reason I'm keeping my car (actually when I thought about selling my 2000 GT I waited for the '15 to be revealed. When I saw it for the first time I thought not for me so I jumped on the idea of ordering a '14.) is because of the looks mostly inside and out.

Last edited by VidPro; 1/23/15 at 07:16 AM.
Old 1/23/15, 07:32 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
A rock and a hard place come to mind.

You make excellent points for both sides of your own argument, and it boils down to a coin toss.

However, I'd like to throw this at you. Perhaps it'll add weight to one side or the other......

Other than a $500 incentive from Ford, I don't see a lot of savings on a '15 to justify taking a hit on a trade-in unless the dealer can deep discount the new car. If, hypothetically, Ford offers $2000 in incentives on the '15 just before the intro of the '16, that would be significant and your present Mustang shouldn't depreciate a great deal more between now and then.

You like the '15 but other factors are holding you back. That tells me that the present S550 isn't yet a "must have regardless" for you; otherwise you would have pulled the trigger. The '16 might change that.

In the meantime you still have a car you obviously are very attached to and you already know what you've got. And if the 2016 doesn't seal the deal for you, keeping your 2011 will actually have saved you a lot of money, even with normal maintenence and discretionary mods.

Or I could be completely full of sh*t.

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 1/23/15 at 07:33 AM.
Old 1/23/15, 07:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would rather spend more money on a car I love then buy a new car that I felt was 'meh'
Old 1/23/15, 07:56 AM
GT Member

I'm at 32,000 miles on my 2014 GT that I bought 11 months ago. What major costs? I got the maintenance plan so...

Man, I would hold onto that '11 at least another year or so. We're still in the first year of the S550. Look at how much the 10-14 S197 changed.

Before about 6 years ago, I bought myself nothing but cheap used cars and got used to getting rid of them every few years. But since 2009, I've bought new and haven't been able to keep myself from being bored after a year with every car I've owned. But the second I trade in, I regret it. Every time. Even w/ my Mustang. I justify it with the fact that I put on mileage so quickly but my cars never really give me a minutes trouble. Mileage-wise, 22,000 miles is practically a new car. Heck I bet you can't find many cars on used lots with that low of a mileage.
Old 1/23/15, 07:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you've articulated the rational part of the decision making process, but what about the emotional aspect.

assuming you test drove the 15, how did it make you "feel"? did it bring as big a smile to your face as it does when you drive your '11? if not, the decision is easy.
you can also get a used low-mileage '15 in a year and actually be ahead of the game financially than if you were to pull the trigger now.

I'm amazed after 4 years that my mustang never fails to bring a smile to my face when I driver her.
Old 1/23/15, 08:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
save up holding on to your current and get GT350R
Old 1/23/15, 08:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CiniZter

Winner Chicken supper
Old 1/23/15, 08:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Superb feedback from every post here...thanks, guys.

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
A rock and a hard place come to mind.

You make excellent points for both sides of your own argument, and it boils down to a coin toss.

However, I'd like to throw this at you. Perhaps it'll add weight to one side or the other......

Other than a $500 incentive from Ford, I don't see a lot of savings on a '15 to justify taking a hit on a trade-in unless the dealer can deep discount the new car. If, hypothetically, Ford offers $2000 in incentives on the '15 just before the intro of the '16, that would be significant and your present Mustang shouldn't depreciate a great deal more between now and then.

You like the '15 but other factors are holding you back. That tells me that the present S550 isn't yet a "must have regardless" for you; otherwise you would have pulled the trigger. The '16 might change that.

In the meantime you still have a car you obviously are very attached to and you already know what you've got. And if the 2016 doesn't seal the deal for you, keeping your 2011 will actually have saved you a lot of money, even with normal maintenence and discretionary mods.

Or I could be completely full of sh*t.
^this struck a nerve...you may be onto something here.

Originally Posted by bones302
you've articulated the rational part of the decision making process, but what about the emotional aspect.

assuming you test drove the 15, how did it make you "feel"? did it bring as big a smile to your face as it does when you drive your '11? if not, the decision is easy.
you can also get a used low-mileage '15 in a year and actually be ahead of the game financially than if you were to pull the trigger now.

I'm amazed after 4 years that my mustang never fails to bring a smile to my face when I driver her.
Excellent question...and good arguments for waiting a bit.

When I drove my 2009 GT (another car I loved) to the dealership and test drove the very first Coyote powered 2011 that I ever saw, it totally "blew my balloon." I needed one in my life...My 4.6L days were immediately numbered. The 2015 didn't quite have that same impact. I suppose that if it did, I wouldn't be wrestling with the rationality of this purchase.

Have you guys driven one? What did you think?
Old 1/23/15, 09:02 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Have you guys driven one? What did you think?
I've grown to like the S550, but my heart is in a convertible and I've yet to see one in person yet.

I haven't driven one, but there's no incentive yet for me to do so. The extra 15hp doesn't change things....hell, I can't use all the 420hp I have now. And I figure that the IRS handles at least as well as my SRA (and probably better) but I have no concerns with my old technology as it is now. So the two biggest performance upgrades aren't enough to convince me that I want/need an S550 more than my S197.

For me, it'll boil down to the newness of another Mustang and if I want to make the leap for that reason alone. I'll wait until 2016 before I give it any real thought. My mind remains open....and a Triple Yellow GT ragtop would be very cool. But so is my triple black '14.
Old 1/23/15, 09:18 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say wait I think you will see the Coyote 5.0 go up to 450-460 HP within a few years and I'm sure there will be other improvements to the car by then. In the meantime you have a great ride that you enjoy with little to no car payments and it's hard to beat that. I say just throw some new rubber on that beast and have fun!
Old 1/23/15, 09:40 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Keep the 11. Wait for the 15s to go down in price and improve in the following years.

Tires pop up all the time in here, the Bay, and Craigslist. You should not have to spend 1200 on tires if you're thrifty.

Fears of failure plague any car not just the 11. Maintain your car well and let be whatever will be.

Make the plunge only if you're 1@@ percent sure you'll be happy. I've been there.

99 percent will not cut it. Good luck!
Old 1/23/15, 10:05 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You have an '11. The first year for the Coyote but the 6th year of the S197 platform and your worried about it having issues since it was a early production vehicle...

but you are looking at a car that is truly a first year production run. If you are worried about first year production issues I would stay away from the 15 and try again around 2017
Old 1/23/15, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

What ever happened to keeping a car for 8+ years? It sounds like you answered your own question. Keep the 2011
Old 1/23/15, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
Do it!!!
Old 1/23/15, 11:24 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Not a bad dilemma to have

Me? I know there's "always something new coming" but I'd be tempted to wait for the first refresh ('18MY). I'm hoping DI will bring the GT up to 460+ hp and with it, the new 10-speed auto (previewed in the Raptor at Detroit). No doubt any sheet metal changes will improve and already good looking car (in my eyes).

In the meantime, enjoy your '11 and keep putting money aside for a decent down-payment in a few years.
Old 1/23/15, 11:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok...thank you guys agian for the feedback.

Sticking with the S197 is really starting to sound like the smarter plan.

...and yeah, kicking back with no payments for a while, socking away that cash for a big down payment makes a **** lot of sense. I will likely never have a GT350R in my budget (assuming it's $60,000+) but it's an interesting thought.
Old 1/23/15, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Ok...thank you guys agian for the feedback.

Sticking with the S197 is really starting to sound like the smarter plan.

...and yeah, kicking back with no payments for a while, socking away that cash for a big down payment makes a **** lot of sense. I will likely never have a GT350R in my budget (assuming it's $60,000+) but it's an interesting thought.
For pretty much any normal car (like our Mustangs including the 15s), driving it until it is no longer economical to repair is usually the smartest plan.
Old 1/23/15, 01:36 PM
GT Member

If the `11 is paid off, and you arent fully 100% in on the `15... to which it sounds like you arent.

I say keep the `11 and get a `16 or `17 at a future date when the costs have come down in the form of better rebates once all the "have to have it now" crowd has purchased. That way you have both.

You could also probably pick up another cheap used SN-95 toy somewhere, and have 3 Mustangs.

Ah screw it......just follow this man`s lead......

The Man with 5,500 Mustangs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABw1FK4Pw58#t=28

Last edited by lajntx; 1/23/15 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Cost:Benefit analysis: Keep the '11 GT or trade it for 2015 in while possible?