Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Coolant Leak and Front Plate Holder!!!

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/17, 03:33 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Coolant Leak and Front Plate Holder!!!

What a WEIRD thread name, right? Well, it's been a while since I posted a thread, so forgive me. lol. But really, I'm just being lazy and want to just talk about both in 1 thread

So first the sorta bad news:

As you know, I activated her a couple of weekends ago now. So when I started her up, everything was all fine, then I pull her out to the driveway, all good. I then look back in the garage floor and I see this:

After letting out a loud swear, my heart then sank. I panicked, thinking omg... did my radiator just give out, or something worse in the engine? Then my rational side kicked in, and realized, I purposely put two diff't color coolant fluids for a reason. Seeing that it was green, I knew then it was from the supercharger coolant system...SOMEwhere.

I looked at the reservoir. Nothing. The coolant lines to and from the blower. Nothing. I went underneath the car and saw this:

So I was worried it was from directly above, by the engine/blower area That would not have been good.

Upon further inspection, I found this:

That my friends, is the supercharger coolant pump. Arrrrrrrrgggggggh... Did the pump fail?!?!?!? internally? its seals? Either way, it would be a pain. So I called my buddy up at the shop, and scheduled a time the next day or so. I checked the level, and it barely moved down, if at all. Which meant, it was just a slow leak.

Needless to say, he fixed the issue. And you know what the culprit was? It was the **** SPRING CLAMP. It was the stock spring clamp that came from Magnuson. My question is: HOW does a spring clamp FAIL, when I have NEVER touched that thing since I installed it 3 years ago??? We guessed repeated hot/cold temp cycles - stressed it out. So my buddy Jay replaced both clamps, topped off the system, and she's good as new. Obviously he checked for elsewhere in the system, making sure it was the only source. It was. So the coolant trickled from that area (front of car), all the way down to the oil pan area... it rode the K member, etc. So weird.

Crisis averted. It was scary though.

EDIT: Some of you might think - why the heck is he having a shop do it? Can't he fix it on his own since he did almost all the mods on that car? Well yes - yes I did. Problem is, I don't have the time anymore. I was so p'oed at the whole thing, I didn't want to deal with jacking it all up (I still don't have my lift at my new house yes... once I move, and soon), and emptying the coolant, then refilling, blah blah. Jay is a good friend of mine and he does great work. He's the ONLY guy I trust with Marilyn. So why not, I thought.

The other topic was - while Marilyn was with him, he went ahead and made me my own custom front license plate install, for those times when I know I will driving in popo infested areas. Quick screw on, tighten. No tools. He mounted it to beneath the intercooler radiator, using existing tapped holes... then welded a couple pieces, painted it, and voila. Jay rocks.

So that remaining shaft you see, I painted more black so it blends in, but I can also remove it quickly by accessing it through the bottom. For now, I am leaving it on in case I need it... and you can't see the mount in the black recess cavity.

He also put a piece of foam to prevent any touch/scratch on the Xpel'd front bumper (it doesn't even touch, actually).

So anyways... just thought I'd share some updates - been a while - now that Marilyn is active. She does remain under wraps for another week now though, because it JUST snowed yesterday 7". Wonderful. Come on spring....

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/13/17 at 03:39 PM.
Old 3/13/17, 04:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Screws too long ?

Last edited by TheReaper; 3/13/17 at 04:42 PM.
Old 3/13/17, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Glad it was a simple fix. Coolant anywhere other than radiator is no good. I'm hoping 2 more weeks till mine can come out. We only got 5" today, so it's not completely impossible.
Old 3/14/17, 07:36 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by TheReaper
Screws too long ?
Which screws? on the license plate holder? Those aren't long at all. Not sure which you are referring to.

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Glad it was a simple fix. Coolant anywhere other than radiator is no good. I'm hoping 2 more weeks till mine can come out. We only got 5" today, so it's not completely impossible.
Yes, me too! Seeing coolant leak on your garage floor, or any leak for that matter, is not a good feeling.

Yep, it will be 50 degrees by Friday - so hopefully all the white stuff will be gone by then.
Old 3/14/17, 09:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Wow. Smart of you to use two different colors of coolant though!

What's with the Iowa Mustangs license plate?
Old 3/14/17, 10:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Which screws? on the license plate holder? Those aren't long at all. Not sure which you are referring to.

Yes, me too! Seeing coolant leak on your garage floor, or any leak for that matter, is not a good feeling.

Yep, it will be 50 degrees by Friday - so hopefully all the white stuff will be gone by then.
License plate holder + coolant leak = screws too long.
Old 3/14/17, 11:05 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Thank God that was only a spring clamp.
It's good to have good friends as mechanics. My buddy does all my work for me. He's the only one I trust with my car. Well,....him and his business partner Peter. Both have over 20 years mechanical experience and are ASE certified and have a bunch of certifications and what not. (They left Toyota to open up their own business. Sick of the same old workplace bullsh*t is why I was told. LOL) Peter's wife also works at the shop part time as book keeper/secretary.
Old 3/14/17, 12:19 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Wow. Smart of you to use two different colors of coolant though!

What's with the Iowa Mustangs license plate?
Yeah, that was a planned coolant color I totally forgot it's purpose until I saw that leak. LOL.

One of the private schools here has a MUSTANGS mascot/team name. So, I opted to get that plate for that purpose. And no, I didn't go there at all. I just thought the plate was fitting!

Originally Posted by TheReaper
License plate holder + coolant leak = screws too long.
LOL... I see what you did there. I would agree with you if the license plate holder came before the leak hehe

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Thank God that was only a spring clamp.
It's good to have good friends as mechanics. My buddy does all my work for me. He's the only one I trust with my car. Well,....him and his business partner Peter. Both have over 20 years mechanical experience and are ASE certified and have a bunch of certifications and what not. (They left Toyota to open up their own business. Sick of the same old workplace bullsh*t is why I was told. LOL) Peter's wife also works at the shop part time as book keeper/secretary.
Darn spring clamps. Yeah, having a buddy with a shop is the best. I will have my own lift soon enough, but it's nice to know I can count on him.
Old 3/14/17, 12:41 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
My friend with a shop is moving to Huntsville, AL next week since his wife found a new job there. However, my wife may also end up with a promotion that has us moving there as well. We should know something in the next few months.