Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

A cool feature on the GT's you may or may not know about.

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/11, 11:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A cool feature on the GT's you may or may not know about.

If you quickly turn the ignition key over and release, the starter will continue spinning until the engine starts. I only knew about it because my new Tundra had the same feature and I have a habit of starting my vehicle that way. I don't know when Ford started this feature. Hell, it may be on the 05's lol.
Old 5/13/11, 11:25 AM
Cobra Member

Yup and some people don't like it because the starter will spin for a good 3 to 4 seconds sometimes. Good way to avoid it, turn the key to the power on position for a second before you start the car.
Old 5/13/11, 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Yup and some people don't like it because the starter will spin for a good 3 to 4 seconds sometimes. Good way to avoid it, turn the key to the power on position for a second before you start the car.
Is that why my car doesn't always keep turning over till start? I thought it was going bad
Old 5/13/11, 11:35 AM
Cobra R Member

I LOVE this feature! A big gripe about my Hondas (over a dozen over the years), and ever-so-true of my wife's Odyssey, is ever-so-slightly too long cranking required. I always seem to let go of the key a smidge too early, resulting in a sputter and non-start.

Seems like a small thing, but in the rhythm of getting in, putting the key in, starting, and putting on one's seatbelt, releasing the parking brake, and hitting the road, it's a big interruption. My Mustang goes with MY tempo instead of making me adjust to ITS rhythm.

(Maybe Ford could use this testimonial in its advertising? )

Last edited by Double-EDad; 5/13/11 at 11:38 AM.
Old 5/13/11, 11:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love reading this!! When I 1st bought my car occasionally when I started it after it was running, it seemed to still try & start. Hadn't done this in prob 5 months? This is what y'all are talking about, right?
Old 5/13/11, 12:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by eliyarbrough
Love reading this!! When I 1st bought my car occasionally when I started it after it was running, it seemed to still try & start. Hadn't done this in prob 5 months? This is what y'all are talking about, right?
The feature we're talking about is the one that allows you to turn the key and let go, while the car will keep cranking until it starts and will then automtically disengage the starter once the engine is running. This is usually transparent to the driver since the car generally starts right away.
Old 5/13/11, 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like this. It screws me up on other cars, though... like when I jump into our beater 2002 Mustang. I do the quick flick of the key and get annoyed when it doesn't start.

Granted my favorite setup is push-button. I miss the keyfob on my Z. It took me a good month to get used to pulling my keys out of pocket when I walked up to the door of the Mustang. I would walk up, tug on the door handle, and a second or two later realize I needed to press the unlock button on the key.

Last edited by m4a1mustang; 5/13/11 at 12:46 PM.
Old 5/13/11, 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this suppose to be sarcasm? Because I dont understand the concept of this feautre? It's VERY embarrssing if it happens in front of people, makes your car look like a heap of junk.
Old 5/13/11, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011_STANG_GT
Is this suppose to be sarcasm? Because I dont understand the concept of this feautre? It's VERY embarrssing if it happens in front of people, makes your car look like a heap of junk.
How does it look like a piece of junk? It turns over until the car starts which should be the same length of time as any other car.
Old 5/13/11, 05:30 PM
V6 Member

Cool.... our VW has this feature. I use it all the time, didn't think it would be on the stang!
Old 5/13/11, 07:18 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Its on the 2011 V-6 too. I also like when i have my my Shaker 500 volume at a couple lines below "Max Volume" and turn off the Mustang to go into a store, when i "re-start" my Mustang to leave , the volume is "automatically" turned down to 1/2 .
Old 5/13/11, 08:59 PM
GT Member

Its those cool little features like that starter thing that you really get used to quickly. Glad to see Ford is keeping up with these little improvements. Slowly everybody else is doing the same thing if they have not done so already.
Old 5/13/11, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

I will be the odd man out here. I dont like it. I dont have one but anytime the computer takes control I dont like it. If it does not fire up right off then the starter will keep turning for something like 10 seconds? I dont need to grind it that long. These FI cars start right up pretty much within a second or two.

I understand the concept but I dont like it. Im old enough to remember a properly tuned carbed car would litteraly fire up with bumping the starter. Those days are gone and I dont like how these newer cars rev up either when you start them. Im curious if a tune can fix that?
Old 5/14/11, 04:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by chevys
I will be the odd man out here. I dont like it. I dont have one but anytime the computer takes control I dont like it. If it does not fire up right off then the starter will keep turning for something like 10 seconds? I dont need to grind it that long. These FI cars start right up pretty much within a second or two.

I understand the concept but I dont like it. Im old enough to remember a properly tuned carbed car would litteraly fire up with bumping the starter. Those days are gone and I dont like how these newer cars rev up either when you start them. Im curious if a tune can fix that?
Usually a tap of the gas pedal will settle the rpms down. Altho I have no problem with the car running a bit higher rpm at startup since it will warm up to operating temps faster. I mean its not like its sitting at 3k rmp idling or something.
Old 5/14/11, 08:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Granted my favorite setup is push-button. I miss the keyfob on my Z. It took me a good month to get used to pulling my keys out of pocket when I walked up to the door of the Mustang. I would walk up, tug on the door handle, and a second or two later realize I needed to press the unlock button on the key.
+1 My wife's Sonata Limited has this and it's pretty darn awesome.
Old 5/14/11, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I was kind of disappointed we didn't get a push button, keyless entry feature along with the huge key that stabs you in the leg while working.
Old 5/14/11, 11:00 AM
GT Member

Did not know that... thanks for the post!