Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Consumer Reports Mag on 2011 V6 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/10, 05:49 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consumer Reports Mag on 2011 V6 Mustang

Well, the latest Consumer Reports magazine (October 2010) is out with a comparo between the new Mustang and Camaro V6s. As with all the major car magazines, they favor the Mustang. They expected the Mustang to have excellent reliability, while the Camaro was classed as too early to tell. They rated the Mustang "easier to live with." They actually rated the V6 Mustang overall higher than the V6 Camaro, V6 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, v8 Camaro, and V8 Dodge Challenger.
Old 9/4/10, 06:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no surprises there.
LOL
Old 9/4/10, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, I consider CR to be as much an authority on sports vehicles as I do "High Times" to be an authority on quantum mechanics. These are the idiots who said "Don't buy that one Lexus SUV" because it had a tendency to oversteer when you beat the living **** out of it. No, really? Vehicles do stuff like that when you saw the wheel back and forth as fast as you can while going 60? Who knew!

Anyway, yeah, I lost all respect for them then.
Old 9/4/10, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
FWIW, I consider CR to be as much an authority on sports vehicles as I do "High Times" to be an authority on quantum mechanics. These are the idiots who said "Don't buy that one Lexus SUV" because it had a tendency to oversteer when you beat the living **** out of it. No, really? Vehicles do stuff like that when you saw the wheel back and forth as fast as you can while going 60? Who knew!

Anyway, yeah, I lost all respect for them then.
You mean "High Times" doesn't offer good advice on quantum mechanics?

I agree though..I consider CR to be an automotive magazine only when you are getting a grocery getter.

Dave
Old 9/4/10, 10:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
You lost respect for them then?? I lost respect from them when they "recommended" the Suzuki Sidekick and trashed the identical Chevy Tracker. They did the same with the Isuzu Trooper, but recommended the Honda version. And again with the Escape and Mazda Tribute. Lately, it seems they have been coming to their senses, but it's hard to regain trust from TRUE car enthusiasts when you publish crap like that. It lingers in the back of your mind...
Old 9/7/10, 11:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good thing they didn't compare the Mustang to an import. They would have declared the Ford the loser before even driving either car.
Old 9/7/10, 11:17 AM
V6 Member

Actually, they DID compare both Mustangs (V8 and V6) to some imports.

You'll have to read the article to find out what was said.

Originally Posted by RandyW
Good thing they didn't compare the Mustang to an import. They would have declared the Ford the loser before even driving either car.
Old 9/7/10, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
You lost respect for them then?? I lost respect from them when they "recommended" the Suzuki Sidekick and trashed the identical Chevy Tracker. They did the same with the Isuzu Trooper, but recommended the Honda version. And again with the Escape and Mazda Tribute. Lately, it seems they have been coming to their senses, but it's hard to regain trust from TRUE car enthusiasts when you publish crap like that. It lingers in the back of your mind...
Wasn't the Sidekick the little SUV that was flipping over so often that Suzuki offered a settlement to all owners? They offered to install a sunroof free of charge... in the floor.
Old 9/7/10, 01:40 PM

Are you really going to throw your hard earned $$$ on Govt Motors & the gold plated UAW pension plans?
buy ford!

do people actually look kool driving a korean car? what gives?

the challenger is like, the size of a trailer man. it's a dino for sure

Last edited by stangout; 9/7/10 at 01:42 PM.
Old 9/7/10, 01:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by stangout
Are you really going to throw your hard earned $$$ on Govt Motors & the gold plated UAW pension plans?
buy ford!

do people actually look kool driving a korean car? what gives?

the challenger is like, the size of a trailer man. it's a dino for sure
Now there's a well thought out, insightful comment that really adds to the conversation.
Old 9/7/10, 02:12 PM

come on chris, really.
you, trying to pick up girls driving a Hyundai on a friday night.
you don't feel it?
good cause no one does! lol

I heard the camaro's windows are designed thinned so the asian carps can't jump in! lol!

next time you peep into a challenger check out the full size sofa in the back seat! lol! it ain't you grandpa's challenger today, it's your grandma's! lol

why don't you ask the greedy chysler dealers why chryslers going down the drain? how about charging 15K over retail for that car! leave at once & take your hard earned $ with you bro!

Last edited by stangout; 9/7/10 at 02:24 PM.
Old 9/7/10, 02:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
FWIW, I consider CR to be as much an authority on sports vehicles as I do "High Times" to be an authority on quantum mechanics.
i dont know...her mechanics look pretty good to me

Old 9/7/10, 09:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
i dont know...her mechanics look pretty good to me

Wouldn't mind taking her for a test drive.

Naughty naughty!
Old 9/10/10, 05:55 AM
V6 Member

I don't get it - the leading consumer magazine says nice things about the new Mustangs, and this thread gets hijacked with a lot of crap. No wonder I don't come to this Forum so much anymore.
Old 9/10/10, 07:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

They did that with plymouth laser and Misubi****i eclipse, CR is just a bunch of crap. Like many newspapers/ magazines they will do anything to sell their products.
Old 9/10/10, 08:14 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by stangout
buy ford!
If I had the scratch to get a Z06, you betcha! For what its worth, saving GM was well worth it. Had GM gone **** up, there would have been no 2011 Mustang GT with a 5.0 or a 2011 GT500 that can almost hang with a Corvette GS or a Boss Mustang.

I get the impression that nobody cares or realizes that GM did not exsist in a vacuum and that many of the same suppliers that provide Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, et al with thier parts (things like interior panels, switches, connecting rods and so on) would have crashed along with GM leaving other manufacturers without the nessecary parts to actually build cars forcing them to shutter plants and lose money. The imports most likely would have survived and the domestics would either be all but dead or dead completely.

It may have not been the best decsion, but it was the right one at the time and hopefully going forward the domestic industry will have time to shore itself up so that if/when the next time comes it will be able to survive a similar situation without government intervention.
Old 9/10/10, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Palmateer
I don't get it - the leading consumer magazine says nice things about the new Mustangs, and this thread gets hijacked with a lot of crap. No wonder I don't come to this Forum so much anymore.
It's great that they like the Mustang, but that doesn't change the fact that their "analyses" have been just a shade more rooted in fact than weather forecasts, and by that I mean they're just this side of "LOL Idunno".

Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to think CR is the be-all-end-all of automotive reviewery, so I guess V6 Mustang sales will go up as a result of it. I tend to believe the opposite of what I read about cars in CR, though, so idunno.
Old 9/11/10, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Samurai! The Sidekick was wider and didn't roll over as easily in sharp turns.
Old 9/11/10, 09:40 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Palmateer
I think the reputation they earned by bashing american cars for so long left some bad wounds...this forums pretty civil, but for the longest time many 'car publications' leaned so far asian it wasnt funny- so them saying something nice now dont carry much weight with diehard American car enthusiasts.

We are ALL glad to see well earned respect overall for the new mustang from the press, but to many, I think these magazines are not 'legitimate press' just yet, as they appeared to be toyota owned or something for so darn long...
while I'm personally not a fan of the back end view of the new mustangs (as everyone says- styling comments are highly subjective, cant please everyone), it absolutely is a great car- with power, economy, styling, comfort and safety, its a great overall package and deserves recognition.
While I dont care at all for the new camaro(front/rear and interior are yuck to me), I do like the new challenger a lot- and know even their diehard fans gotta know those cars wouldnt exist today if it werent for the 2005 mustang reviving the ponycar wars...I think that fact has finally gone mainstream, and folks are just getting tired of reading how great the latest imports are while our manufacturing base withered away to near nothing...Mustang and Ford in general have earned a lot of respect the past few years, and its about time.
Old 9/11/10, 10:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
In person, I literally think the rearend looks 1000x better than in pics. Same with the HIDs. If I got a 2010+ with HIDs, I just would never take pics of my car haha!

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Mag on 2011 V6 Mustang