Sponsored By:

Clunk by the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/13, 05:11 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dineau

Which bushing are yoy reffering to ?

I have the same issue over small bumps when I leave in the morning, but either it stops or I don't hear it after when on highway.
That's how mine started. Now it's there all the time.
Old 12/2/13, 04:19 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
Try packing the bushings with grease and see if it goes away. I had the same issue after lowering and packed the bushings with grease and it went away, it is just now starting to come back.
Yes! Get under there and smear some marine grease on the bushings/endlinks. Worked for my noisy 2000. (Urethane bushings though.)
Old 12/4/13, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
^ +1
Yes, it's most likely the rear sway bar links - more specifically the bushings in those links. Easy fix for the dealer to do.
I bet it isn't cheap unless the dealer does it under warranty. Sadly, my car is only a year old, but out of warranty mileage-wise. The bushings look fine. They are just noisy. This shouldn't be happening to a year-old car.
Old 12/4/13, 06:43 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
Yea ive seen before around the colder months that some folks were experiencing this. Im not worried but it is rather annoying -_-
Thanks Deysha! Hvnt seen ya on here in a while how ya been!?
No problem, CCTking! I’ve been great. Thanks for asking!

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
mine does this going over speed bumps but ive just figured it was stuff in my trunk bouncing around. i guess ill put mine on the lift monday and see if mines actually from the sway bar bushings.
You should have your dealer check it out, southcarolina12. Your service manager is in the best position to let you know if there is any work needed, coverages, recalls, or any assistance available.

Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. Let me know the outcome.

Originally Posted by Tominkc
I've noticed the same noise. I heard it during the summer but would go sway after a couple of miles of driving.
I’d like to get this reviewed or escalated if needed for you, Tominkc. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Hey Tom. I suggest you connect with the Ford Service rep on TMS,Deysha. Your Ford dealer should be able to diagnose and fix this easily and quickly. 99% it is the rear sway bar links/bushings.
Originally Posted by Tominkc
Thanks. Now if I.can get a hold of her, I'm sure she can help!!!
Thanks for the mention and kind words, guys!

Deysha
Old 12/5/13, 08:02 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So had a couple days of and finally got to play under the booty. Its the bushing from what i could tell and the bolts were a little loose. Nothin a few turns of the wrench couldnt fix! Its good now but idk for how long.
Old 1/14/14, 08:07 AM

update

Originally Posted by CCTking
Ell title says it all, startin to hear a clunking noise goin over bumps from the rear left side. Thinkin its a loose bushing or just worn out mounts. Cars a 2012 v6 with about 36k on the clock. Im sure im not alone here so anyone else who has had this issue, what did it turn out to be? What was the remedy?
Christmas is coming around so maybe i can get it replaced by the ford handling pack when i take it in for service if the parts pricing matches
Update:
This is the fix for this problem.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=186

You can wrestle around with Ford over this and never permanently fix the problem,, or you can install these for about 115 bucks and a couple hours work with a 15mm wrench and a tube of silicon synthethic grease. And, end up with a better handling car to boot.
Old 1/14/14, 08:48 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eastexsteve
Update: This is the fix for this problem. http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=186 You can wrestle around with Ford over this and never permanently fix the problem,, or you can install these for about 115 bucks and a couple hours work with a 15mm wrench and a tube of silicon synthethic grease. And, end up with a better handling car to boot.
Thanks for that. I only hear it when it gets cold bit i might do the upgrade along with a whole suspension set-up. I wanna get wheel and rims first though. Doesnt quite look as good with the 17's i have on
Old 1/14/14, 08:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Update:

You can wrestle around with Ford over this and never permanently fix the problem,, or you can install these for about 115 bucks and a couple hours work with a 15mm wrench and a tube of silicon synthethic grease. And, end up with a better handling car to boot.
5 dollars of grease and some tightening also works and is oddly cheaper.
Old 1/14/14, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update:

Funny because the BMR website does not list them as compatible for 2010 and up !

Have they change anything since 2010 ?
Old 1/14/14, 08:32 PM
GT Member

Isn't there a TSB for the lower control arms?
Old 1/14/14, 08:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Michael Broadway
Isn't there a TSB for the lower control arms?
For the front arms not the rear, not that I believe.
Old 1/16/14, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon302
5 dollars of grease and some tightening also works and is oddly cheaper.
That didn't fix mine. When I got the old bushings off, they flopped around quite a bit. And, mines only a 2012 model.
Old 1/16/14, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dineau
Funny because the BMR website does not list them as compatible for 2010 and up !

Have they change anything since 2010 ?
They fit my 2012 v6 like a glove. If you have any doubts, you can call BMR and ask them.
Old 1/16/14, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously this group is awesome! I've been hearing this clunk as well and it has been driving me nuts!!!! I thought it was loose lug nuts on the wheels but they were tight. Checked the LCA's and they are tight too. When it warmed up it was gone like the wind. Now that it's cold again it's back. WTF? I need to check the swaybar links and grease it up as you guys mentioned otherwise I need to upgrade the links to the BMR ones.
Old 1/17/14, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Scrape
Seriously this group is awesome! I've been hearing this clunk as well and it has been driving me nuts!!!! I thought it was loose lug nuts on the wheels but they were tight. Checked the LCA's and they are tight too. When it warmed up it was gone like the wind. Now that it's cold again it's back. WTF? I need to check the swaybar links and grease it up as you guys mentioned otherwise I need to upgrade the links to the BMR ones.
Hello Scrape,

I recommend you bring it in to your dealer and have it checked out. Your service manager is in the best position to look into this for you and can check into any warranty, assistance, recalls, or customer satisfaction programs that may apply to your vehicle.

If you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to PM our FordServiceCA Rep on this forum.

Deysha
Old 1/30/14, 02:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Thanks for the previous post's folks. It has gotten much colder than normal here in the south, and the bushings in the rear of the Wifey's car started doing the same stuff. I'll have the dealer check it on the next visit, but glad to read it's nothing to seriously worry about.
Old 1/31/14, 04:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Hey CCTking,

I think you should get it looked at by your Ford Dealer. Your service manager is in the best position to let you know if there is any work needed, coverages, recalls, or any assistance available.

Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. Let me know the outcome.

You should also make an appointment with your dealer, Hadtohaveit’13 and let me get it escalated for you. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
I have the same problem/issue on my 2013 GT with 24K on the odometer. Loud clunkish rattle when I go over a large bump that causes the rear tires to move up and down. Brought it into the dealership and they tell me it's the rear shock and is a "common issue". Unfortunately, according to my service guy, Ford will not allow them to change it out unless the shock is actually leaking fluid somewhere, so it sounds like i'm forced to deal with it until I replace my suspension later.
Old 1/31/14, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by wanted33
Thanks for the previous post's folks. It has gotten much colder than normal here in the south, and the bushings in the rear of the Wifey's car started doing the same stuff. I'll have the dealer check it on the next visit, but glad to read it's nothing to seriously worry about.
You’re welcome, wanted33. Keep me posted on your dealer visit.

Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
I have the same problem/issue on my 2013 GT with 24K on the odometer. Loud clunkish rattle when I go over a large bump that causes the rear tires to move up and down. Brought it into the dealership and they tell me it's the rear shock and is a "common issue". Unfortunately, according to my service guy, Ford will not allow them to change it out unless the shock is actually leaking fluid somewhere, so it sounds like i'm forced to deal with it until I replace my suspension later.
Hello MADSCOTSMAN,

I’d like to get this reviewed for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 1/31/14, 01:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
You’re welcome, wanted33. Keep me posted on your dealer visit.

Deysha

I will Deysha, thanks for keeping up with us. Your are our Ford angle. I'll probably wait until the weather warms, and see if it stops. Our weather here in good old North Carolina has been unusually cold, so I'm not that worried about it being a serious problem.
Old 2/1/14, 12:10 PM
V6 Member

guys check out this thread. i was just reading it before i saw this..

https://themustangsource.com/f804/wa...-panel-526799/

for those of you that are experiencing this in the cold weather, and finding it hard to replicate it in the warmer weather, this may be your answer.. water can be freezing.. theres your clunking noise

Last edited by dach4mp; 2/1/14 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Clunk by the trunk