Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Clunk by the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11/26/13, 11:46 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Clunk by the trunk

Ell title says it all, startin to hear a clunking noise goin over bumps from the rear left side. Thinkin its a loose bushing or just worn out mounts. Cars a 2012 v6 with about 36k on the clock. Im sure im not alone here so anyone else who has had this issue, what did it turn out to be? What was the remedy?
Christmas is coming around so maybe i can get it replaced by the ford handling pack when i take it in for service if the parts pricing matches
Old 11/28/13, 10:04 AM
FR500 Member

No responses yet? Cmon someone chime in
Old 11/28/13, 10:41 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I have 11 V6 with the exact same mileage. Do you hear the noise constantly over every single bump or just going over big bumps?

I hear a front end clunk/pop every time I go over a rain gutter rut going to my driveway. Never heard any rear noise though.
Old 11/28/13, 11:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just started hearing something from the trunk area on mine. Is it like a suspension noise? Mine almost sounds like something loose like my gurney flap flapping or something like that.
Old 11/28/13, 11:07 PM
FR500 Member

Its over almost every bump. Now thats its gettin cold its even louder, even when ive been driving for a while t still clubks like the first bumps after i start the car. Sounds like its comin from the back left
Old 11/28/13, 11:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like ur diagnosis is correct. See if u can have someone push down on the rear of the car while you look for excessive play in a bushing. If you can get it to clunk like that, it would be easy to locate the noise.
Old 11/28/13, 11:46 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by irishn8
Sounds like ur diagnosis is correct. See if u can have someone push down on the rear of the car while you look for excessive play in a bushing. If you can get it to clunk like that, it would be easy to locate the noise.
Im thinkin its a bushing or maybe a loose mount. Ill see what i can do over the weekend. Next time i bring my car in for service though to my dealership i think they said it was gonna be time to get some new shocks/struts and springs so maybe they can swap out the bushings and tighten everything up as well.
Old 11/29/13, 09:00 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
Ell title says it all, startin to hear a clunking noise goin over bumps from the rear left side. Thinkin its a loose bushing or just worn out mounts. Cars a 2012 v6 with about 36k on the clock. Im sure im not alone here so anyone else who has had this issue, what did it turn out to be? What was the remedy?
Christmas is coming around so maybe i can get it replaced by the ford handling pack when i take it in for service if the parts pricing matches
Hey CCTking,

I think you should get it looked at by your Ford Dealer. Your service manager is in the best position to let you know if there is any work needed, coverages, recalls, or any assistance available.

Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. Let me know the outcome.

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
I just started hearing something from the trunk area on mine. Is it like a suspension noise? Mine almost sounds like something loose like my gurney flap flapping or something like that.
You should also make an appointment with your dealer, Hadtohaveit’13 and let me get it escalated for you. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 11/29/13, 02:59 PM
GT Member

There has been lots of talk about this in the Service area. Usually and more when it's cold...
Old 11/29/13, 03:53 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by cfraser
There has been lots of talk about this in the Service area. Usually and more when it's cold...
Yea ive seen before around the colder months that some folks were experiencing this. Im not worried but it is rather annoying -_-

Thanks Deysha! Hvnt seen ya on here in a while how ya been!?
Old 11/29/13, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by CCTking

It's the rear sway bar support bushings. Get under the car and bump up and down against the sway bar with the palms of your hands, and you can probably reproduce the sound. It's worse in cold weather when the rubber bushings are harder. Mine was doing it. There seems to be a fix for it though. Look at this thread:
https://themustangsource.com/f804/no...ar-end-506016/
Old 11/29/13, 11:17 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by eastexsteve
It's the rear sway bar support bushings. Get under the car and bump up and down against the sway bar with the palms of your hands, and you can probably reproduce the sound. It's worse in cold weather when the rubber bushings are harder. Mine was doing it. There seems to be a fix for it though. Look at this thread:
https://themustangsource.com/f804/no...ar-end-506016/
---
^ +1
Yes, it's most likely the rear sway bar links - more specifically the bushings in those links. Easy fix for the dealer to do.
Old 11/29/13, 11:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

mine does this going over speed bumps but ive just figured it was stuff in my trunk bouncing around. i guess ill put mine on the lift monday and see if mines actually from the sway bar bushings.
Old 11/30/13, 05:46 AM
Bullitt Member

I had this also, mine was a broken bushing in the LR lower control arm, very annoying and loud.
I would bet it is a bushing gone bad.
Old 11/30/13, 12:12 PM
V6 Member

I've noticed the same noise. I heard it during the summer but would go sway after a couple of miles of driving. Now that is cooler out I hear it all the time, even over the smallest bumps. It driving me crazy. I've jacked it up and can't find anything loose or that would make the noise. My exhaust is tight so I know it's not that. My car is also a 2012 GT 5.0 WITH 38,000 MILES . I have the extended warranty on my. I've taken it in and the dealer said it's normal, which is bull carp. I need this issue taken care of and fast!!!
Old 11/30/13, 03:23 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Tominkc
I've noticed the same noise. I heard it during the summer but would go sway after a couple of miles of driving. Now that is cooler out I hear it all the time, even over the smallest bumps. It driving me crazy. I've jacked it up and can't find anything loose or that would make the noise. My exhaust is tight so I know it's not that. My car is also a 2012 GT 5.0 WITH 38,000 MILES . I have the extended warranty on my. I've taken it in and the dealer said it's normal, which is bull carp. I need this issue taken care of and fast!!!
---
Hey Tom. I suggest you connect with the Ford Service rep on TMS,Deysha. Your Ford dealer should be able to diagnose and fix this easily and quickly. 99% it is the rear sway bar links/bushings.
Old 11/30/13, 04:32 PM
V6 Member

Thanks. Now if I.can get a hold of her, I'm sure she can help!!!
Old 11/30/13, 11:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Try packing the bushings with grease and see if it goes away. I had the same issue after lowering and packed the bushings with grease and it went away, it is just now starting to come back.
Old 12/1/13, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brandon302
Try packing the bushings with grease and see if it goes away. I had the same issue after lowering and packed the bushings with grease and it went away, it is just now starting to come back.
Which bushing are yoy reffering to ?

I have the same issue over small bumps when I leave in the morning, but either it stops or I don't hear it after when on highway.
Old 12/1/13, 01:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Dineau
Which bushing are yoy reffering to ?

I have the same issue over small bumps when I leave in the morning, but either it stops or I don't hear it after when on highway.
The end link bushings.

Quick Reply: Clunk by the trunk