Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Chances of Damaging My Car at the Drag Strip?

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/13, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chances of Damaging My Car at the Drag Strip?

Alright so I've already raced my car at the drag strip once before. I encountered no problems just as I expected. However, I am wondering if I should be worried about possibly breaking something on my car by racing it at the drag strip.

I understand it's much more possible if you have large performance modifications. I'm just talking about an automatic 2012 V6 mustang with a tune and CAI. Should I be worried about damaging my car at all when racing? The farthest I would go on my car for a while would be just adding headers most likely. Also, I might would get 3.73 gears, but that's a long shot. I'd still like your opinions. Also I might would try out a friend's drag radials. This will most likely determine if I ever go to the strip again for a while so please help! Thanks!
Old 7/24/13, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lets just put it this way. i have probably 100 passes in my 11 gt with mt et street radials, bama tune, 4.11 gears, and a cai. i haven't had a single problem. Honestly unless you crash, you should be good. Just launch the car at a low idle. You're more likely to have problems with a manual and breaking stuff than with an automatic.
Old 7/24/13, 08:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
I agree. Run it all ya want. No worse than rabbit starts at a light. Only concern is taking an unexpected left or right... or the other guy's blows up and throws parts or his car at you.
Old 7/24/13, 11:04 PM

Appreciate it guys. The only thing is your 11 gt might come stock built with some better, more durable parts with racing in mind than my v6. For instance, most people are aware the driveshafts are different, so who knows what else is like that. But I agree. It should be fine.
Old 7/24/13, 11:09 PM

I just definitely cannot afford anything to go wrong seeing as it is my only car, and I don't have the money right now to fix anything. So I need to make sure it's definitely okay before I go out and break something and screw myself over.
Old 7/25/13, 04:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blueraccoon
I just definitely cannot afford anything to go wrong seeing as it is my only car, and I don't have the money right now to fix anything. So I need to make sure it's definitely okay before I go out and break something and screw myself over.
It's probably not oaky then.
Old 7/25/13, 07:11 AM
Cobra Member

With any type of racing you need to be ok with the associated risk which is you could break something on your car or someone else racing with you will. If you don't have the money to back thst up I wouldn't do it.
Old 7/25/13, 08:50 AM
Banned

There's always a chance stuff can break. Hell my old GTO spit out the transmission's tailshaft and the driveshaft itself on the dyno once. Was that expected? no, not at all, but it still happened.
Old 7/25/13, 09:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless you are prepared to pay for repairs at your own cost (not under warranty) then drive to the track and watch or make videos for people who can afford to fix their car. Not trying to be a pain in the neck, just wouldn't chance it if you can't pay to play.
Old 7/25/13, 10:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Unless you are prepared to pay for repairs at your own cost (not under warranty) then drive to the track and watch or make videos for people who can afford to fix their car. Not trying to be a pain in the neck, just wouldn't chance it if you can't pay to play.
As fun as racing is, it's an ungodly expensive sport and unless you can comfortably afford to have your car totaled and not get a dime back for it, you should stay away from the track. As low risk as taking an automatic car down the strip is, there's always the possibility that the guy next to you will get out of control and hit you, and he's not insured on the track either, so you'd have to fight him for any damages. Or if you blow a tire, hit a slippery spot and hit the wall, etc.
Old 7/25/13, 11:48 AM

Well I'm willing to risk it as long as the car isn't going to hurt itself. That's all I'm worried about. I won't be going to the track very often at all, and when I go I'll be racing next to friends of mine, not random drag cars that are going to blow up and possibly damage my car. More than one of you have said taking an automatic down the strip is very low risk and I agree on that part, so I don't think going every now and then will hurt. Thanks for all the opinions!
Old 7/25/13, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's always a risk, reduce the chances of damaging the car by letting it cool down between runs and don't push it too hard by doing too many passes. At the sign of any unusual handling or sounds, call it a day.

I pushed my car too hard when I should have stopped because the trak lok wasn't locking up properly and ground up my spider gears.
Old 7/25/13, 12:31 PM

Like few have said there is always a risk but I understand the itch for adrenaline rush. I guess as long as you don't worry about going very fast then the risk should be minimal.

Be safe and have fun.
Old 7/25/13, 12:43 PM

Thanks everyone!
Old 7/26/13, 05:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Plus, you'd have a fun time explaining to your insurance agent how any damage occured, if you ever attempted to make a claim.

I used to go out to a local track on Saturday night; after the races were done, they would have "spectator" races. One young kid took his brand new Camaro out to the half mile circle track. 3 laps against 2 to 3 other spectator cars. One of the other cars was an old man in a Caddy; smoking a fat cigar with the windows rolled up. The kid was easily in the lead after two laps. On the last lap, he lost control (tried to go too fast into a corner), and side swiped the right side of the car for about 50 yards.

LMAO!

I wonder how he explained to mom and dad (and insurance agent) on that one?
Old 7/26/13, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

When somebody else is doing it, everything in life looks easier than it is.
Old 7/26/13, 11:21 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I remember goin to big empty parking lots to have a lil fun. Light poles were far spread out so i never had to worry about hittin em. I want to take it to the track but until i have enough to comfortably sit on in case somethin were to break then i want to keep my risks minimal
Old 7/26/13, 11:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Things always break at the drag strip. It's not if, its when. Just a matter of time.
Old 7/26/13, 08:11 PM

That's what I always keep in mind... you have to be willing to PAY TO PLAY.

If you're in a position where you really can't afford anything to go wrong, no matter how low of a possibility, you should consider sitting out. Of course, if you're willing to accept the risk and roll with the consequences of a bad dice roll, then go with it!

Sitting out sucks, I know. Been there, done that, but it was the smarter decision for me at the time.
Old 7/27/13, 11:21 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Id rather play smart and sideline it than risk havin my car damaged or even totaled. Its my only car so i really need it. My bike on the other hand...

Quick Reply: Chances of Damaging My Car at the Drag Strip?