Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Can't find the grille I want

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/14, 08:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Same here. I used to build tons of model cars as a kid and into my teens. I could never build one straight out of the box....always had to change something...wheels, tires, engine parts, whatever. My Mustang is just a really big and expensive model car.
Old 11/12/14, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know opinions on Chip Foose vary, but I really like his approach to modifications (at least on the classic cars he builds).

A great modification is one where someone who is not completely familiar with the model would probably miss the modification, and someone who IS familiar with the model would think "Yeah, Ford might have built it that way."

The billet grille usually goes a bit over the top (since there aren't a lot of cars that come with a stock billet-style grille... because all manufacturers want to have their logo prominently displayed on the front fascia somewhere).

However, most cars look "cleaner" without all the badges (that's why I have a whole collection of BMW, Jaguar, Saab, and Ford badging on the wall of my garage- I usually strip off whatever I can). If the "5.0" badges didn't have location holes (c'mon Ford- really), I probably would have deleted them when I added the side stripes.
Old 11/12/14, 10:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
I know opinions on Chip Foose vary, but I really like his approach to modifications (at least on the classic cars he builds). A great modification is one where someone who is not completely familiar with the model would probably miss the modification, and someone who IS familiar with the model would think "Yeah, Ford might have built it that way." The billet grille usually goes a bit over the top (since there aren't a lot of cars that come with a stock billet-style grille... because all manufacturers want to have their logo prominently displayed on the front fascia somewhere). However, most cars look "cleaner" without all the badges (that's why I have a whole collection of BMW, Jaguar, Saab, and Ford badging on the wall of my garage- I usually strip off whatever I can). If the "5.0" badges didn't have location holes (c'mon Ford- really), I probably would have deleted them when I added the side stripes.
Debadging is still a mod. I will never ever ever leave a car 100% stock. I just...can't even.