2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Cannot decide..GHIG or Sterling Gray

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/14, 08:40 AM
GT Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cannot decide..GHIG or Sterling Gray

Hey guys... I have a dilemma! I know this is basically a matter of opinion in taste... but I am looking at trading in my 2013 GT Premium to get some more of the options I want in a mustang. I have it narrowed down to two cars..

2013 GHIG GT Premium, 6000 miles, GT Track Pack, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Accessory Package 5 (Qtr louvers, side scoops, Ped spoiler) and Security Package. 401A Trim Package

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium, 7000 miles, GT Track Pack, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Accessory Package 4 (Ped Spoiler), Security Package and Glass Roof. 401A Trim Package

The 2014 they want $1000 more. Basically I love the GHIG, but I really want the option of the glass roof.... The green is 6 1/2 hours drive, the gray is 2 1/2 hr drive.

Thanks in advance!

Name:  Screenshot_2014-07-12-20-25-17.png
Views: 80
Size:  389.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2014-07-12-20-26-22.png
Views: 86
Size:  552.4 KB
Old 7/13/14, 08:58 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by CoyotePremium13
Hey guys... I have a dilemma! I know this is basically a matter of opinion in taste... but I am looking at trading in my 2013 GT Premium to get some more of the options I want in a mustang. I have it narrowed down to two cars..

2013 GHIG GT Premium, 6000 miles, GT Track Pack, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Accessory Package 5 (Qtr louvers, side scoops, Ped spoiler) and Security Package. 401A Trim Package

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium, 7000 miles, GT Track Pack, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Accessory Package 4 (Ped Spoiler), Security Package and Glass Roof. 401A Trim Package

The 2014 they want $1000 more. Basically I love the GHIG, but I really want the option of the glass roof.... The green is 6 1/2 hours drive, the gray is 2 1/2 hr drive.

Thanks in advance!

Wow...heck of a contrast. I can see GB vs GHIG, but SGM is at the other end of the spectrum.

They're both nice, and in my personal opinion GHIG needs a unique stripe design and just the right wheels. It's a color that's grown on me more and more with the right cosmetic mods.

SGM....there's a lot of them here, and it's a color that I once thought boring, but it's snuck up on me and now it's one of my fav colors.

Tough choice. The distance isn't a factor. Folks here have gone a lot further to get what they wanted...ask Laserred38. So it seems like it boils down to the glass roof. That's a really desirable option and not as many Mustangs here on this forum have it.

But GHIG sure is in-your-face. Frankly, though, I don't see you going wrong with either.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop.

Tom
Old 7/13/14, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a tough one. I definately prefer GHIG but a '14 with a glass roof for a $1000 more? I'm recalling my recent visit to The Mustang Shop and seeing what I assumed was the owner's personal car, a GHIG. It really added some excitement to the parking lot and store front. Yes, get the GHIG!
Old 7/13/14, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you’re trading in to get more options, then I’d go with the gray because it has the glass roof that you really want and it’s one year newer. The bottom line is that either one of the two choices will = the win!
Old 7/13/14, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Definitely the gray. Better optioned, a year newer for only $1k more, and much closer.

Go pick that up now!
Old 7/13/14, 09:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Sterling Grey, but I went through the same thing with my 13 and it was on cars that were optioned out the same.
Old 7/13/14, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Sterling grey all the way!
Old 7/13/14, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here's my thoughts on the color choices:

I'm not a fan of the glass roof myself and I too really like the GHIG. The only reason I didn't go GHIG is because I wasn't sure how it would age. Would it look dated in 3-5 years? The "standard" colors, Black, White, Silver, Grey, they don't have a Best Before date.

To my eyes, the grey has to be really well cared for to look good. Even a brand new car on the dealer's lot, the grey looks flat or lacks depth. But when you take the time to do a full polish/multi-layer finish on it, it looks FANTASTIC. puma1552's car is a good example of how good the color can look.

All this being said, if the glass roof is a deal breaker then it's not really a choice. And that car is closer. Go get it.
Old 7/13/14, 10:04 AM
GT Member

Thanks for all the replies and opinions! You have all brought up some good points! For those of you that have the glass roof... is there a huge weight difference? Can you cover up the glass from the inside at all for those sunny days? Does the sun have an effect on the interior temp shining down from the roof, and do you think the interior will fade or crack prematurely?

I am still torn...but leaning more towards the SGM... I will let you guys know what I decide this week. Planning on taking off work Thursday to make the drive!
Old 7/13/14, 10:06 AM
GT Member

Picking grey is like not picking a color at all, to me. That ghig is a great color, closest thing to an m&m I've seen. I like Mustangs in grabber blue, gotta have it green, and orange (not offered?). I'd pick grey if I was in the witness protection program, otherwise have some fun.
Old 7/13/14, 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CoyotePremium13
Hey guys... I have a dilemma! I know this is basically a matter of opinion in taste... but I am looking at trading in my 2013 GT Premium to get some more of the options I want in a mustang. I have it narrowed down to two cars.. 2013 GHIG GT Premium, 6000 miles, GT Track Pack, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Accessory Package 5 (Qtr louvers, side scoops, Ped spoiler) and Security Package. 401A Trim Package 2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium, 7000 miles, GT Track Pack, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Accessory Package 4 (Ped Spoiler), Security Package and Glass Roof. 401A Trim Package The 2014 they want $1000 more. Basically I love the GHIG, but I really want the option of the glass roof.... The green is 6 1/2 hours drive, the gray is 2 1/2 hr drive. Thanks in advance!
Wow. Tough choice! Not a fan of the louvers on the GHIG and the SG has the glass roof. And it's closer and newer. Buuuuut dang I love GHIG! And it has a better milage to age ratio (albeit slight).

Ummmmmm. I'd go green and take off the louvers.
Old 7/13/14, 10:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 SG for sure .. Glass roof and Better looking Cluster.
Old 7/13/14, 11:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I say SGM. I haven't seen one with a glass roof yet.
Old 7/13/14, 11:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
2014 SG for sure .. Glass roof and Better looking Cluster.
Arguable. I like the 13 cluster better.
Old 7/13/14, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I looked a ghig and gb, but from my past experience, my bright color car fun/wowness got old quickly and I traded it within 2 years.
Old 7/13/14, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The SGM is almost my exact car. So I will explain why I chose it... And fill you in on a few observations. By the way I like GHIG... But coming from a blinding yellow colored vehicle it is nice to not stand out for the simple fact of a loud color. Pictures do not do SGM justice. Especially in the sun. There is a TON of metallic in that color. The glass roof option will be the most over looked option with this color. I show my car quite a bit. People will walk around it, appreciate it, then notice my plate and ask me what it means. When I explain the car has a glass roof they hurry back to look at it having completely missed it the first time. It is something most have never seen in person and many have not heard of outside of the Mustang community. Color aside I would choose the glass roof car. I think it will stand the test of time. And yes there is a shade to pull on the inside for light. I only use it when parked. The roof has UV block built in so your interior will not fade. And the roof adds some where around 25 pounds. Go with the GlassBack!
Old 7/13/14, 12:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by typesredline
Arguable. I like the 13 cluster better.
Whats different between the 13/14 cluster?

Also, GHIG!!!!
Old 7/13/14, 12:29 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
SG hands down.
Old 7/13/14, 12:37 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
I kinda like that Gotta Have It Green though,................
Attached Thumbnails Cannot decide..GHIG or Sterling Gray-192603.jpg  
Old 7/13/14, 01:18 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
The SGM is almost my exact car. So I will explain why I chose it... And fill you in on a few observations. By the way I like GHIG... But coming from a blinding yellow colored vehicle it is nice to not stand out for the simple fact of a loud color. Pictures do not do SGM justice. Especially in the sun. There is a TON of metallic in that color. The glass roof option will be the most over looked option with this color. I show my car quite a bit. People will walk around it, appreciate it, then notice my plate and ask me what it means. When I explain the car has a glass roof they hurry back to look at it having completely missed it the first time. It is something most have never seen in person and many have not heard of outside of the Mustang community. Color aside I would choose the glass roof car. I think it will stand the test of time. And yes there is a shade to pull on the inside for light. I only use it when parked. The roof has UV block built in so your interior will not fade. And the roof adds some where around 25 pounds. Go with the GlassBack!
Thanks again for everyone's input! This alone is making me want the SGM. I have not seen this color in person, and with it being metallic I'm sure it will subtly catch my eye even though the GHIG stands out more. I want my car to be rare, and from what I gather not many people have this glass roof option. Would you mind posting some pics of your interior and some detailed pics of the way the glass roof looks from the outside and inside? The pictures posted in the sale did not acknowledge the roof at all! The only reason I noticed it is because I looked up the VIN and saw all the options it had.

Quick Reply: Cannot decide..GHIG or Sterling Gray